The Trip That Finally Made My Wife Haul Off And Slug Me In The Face (COMPLETED 10/2)

That post appears to be a, uh, popular spot for birds.
Hmmm...where's ponzi with his Photoshop skills when you need him.

It’s also the reason why this should be the start, not the end, of your hike. Check out the drop, and then imagine having to climb back up this way.
Erm...yeah. I can see why you chose to do it your way.

For no points, how did we respond?

a) STEEP. Good luck, suckers! We’ll see you in about 8 hours when you finish.

b) Beautiful! Such an amazing hike. You’ll have a great time!

c) Disappointing. Not a single burger joint to be found.

d) Some combination of a, b, or c.
Well, yes, I expect it is d.

For her part, Julie thought it was hilarious to walk by several hikers in specialized gear—walking poles, Keen hiking boots, $90 hiking pants from LL Bean or REI, sun hats, lightweight backpacks…and then compare them to me, in a ball cap and blue jeans and carrying a Target bag with water bottles in it.
:rotfl2: The Target bag sets it off...kind of like National Lampoons Canyon Vacation

Incredible pictures, once again. What a beautiful place!

Ugh, your Title didn't tell me there was an update and there are a few more people's updates that I have to read before I can get yours again, but I was commenting on the chatter. So I'll do that and come back to read the update in order.

Thanks for the heads-up! I was trying to fire off an update before the day ended on Friday and had forgotten to update the title and table of contents.

Believe it or not while I like all kinds of things that you find appalling, vegetables are not one of the things that I love. There are really only about five or six vegetables that I rotate through our dinners as vegetable sides. I'll eat just about anything that someone else prepares for me, but if I'm making it the choices are broccoli, zucchini, green beans, cabbage, salad, and asparagus (on occasion). I like tomatoes, but don't consider them a "green vegetable". I wish that I liked more of this stuff, but I eat it because I have to, not cause I like to. And I like the tomatoes, when they have a big chunk of Mozarella cheese on top of them!

I like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, and will tolerate salad. Julie serves up green beans occasionally and I'll eat them without enjoying it much. And I like corn, but I know that doesn't really count since it doesn't have much nutritional value whatsoever. Other than that...:crazy2:

I seem to like tomato products a lot more than I like tomatoes themselves.:confused3

Me too. I have friends who have switched to a 'Plant based diet' and I'm like :confused3

Life is too short not to eat bacon.

Wow! I'm lucky if i'm near 200, ecstatic if I'm below.

I've been as high as 239. No surprise, given the garbage I eat. The statin brought me all the way down to 170.

I don't know about this. I hate Cauliflower and find that roasting things only helps sometime. I actually like steamed veggies better, but only if I don't over steam them, there is fine line between mush and not too crunchy.

I feel like this is all ultimately lipstick on a pig. :rotfl:

This made me laugh - I had just looked at the picture and thought...interesting...for someone that hikes alot on vacation, jeans are an odd choice. Not that I think you need a bunch of special gear - I just don't think of jeans as comfortable to hike in. With that said, I can just put on a pair of leggings and go - I frown upon seeing men wear leggings. :rotfl2::rotfl:

So I probably should have explained the blue jeans a bit more. It was summer in the desert, so we had primarily packed shorts and t-shirts to wear. I had figured I'd hike in shorts. But we were also at elevation, and the temps dipped down as low as 55F at night in Bryce Canyon. I had packed one sweatshirt and one pair of jeans for colder temps at night. And since we hiked first thing in the morning, it was still cool outside. So blue jeans it was.

That's easy - use it as your background at work. You can fool yourself into thinking you are on vacation everyday.

Thanks for sharing the pics - truly stunning.

My computer backgrounds are usually vacation photos. It's nice to daydream/have the memories. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

Beautiful. Any idea what kind it is?

It appears to be a pinyon jay.

Needs a little tiny toilet paper roll.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Now that would be awesome.

Huh. I always thought sunrise was further to the East.

Thanks, smart guy.:sad2:

Huh. That's... strange. I wonder why they do that?

No idea. Unless it was a typo and they weren't careful in proofreading? But we were so glad we went the opposite direction.

Woo hoo for hoodoos!

Well done, sir!

Nope!
I fail to see the well hidden escalator.

So did we.

Cut? Or eroded?

I thought they looked a little too symmetrical to be natural. But maybe I'm wrong.

That one.

Seems to be a popular choice. I think we mostly warned them about how steep the climb would be.

So what? did you enjoy it?
That settles that.

Exactly.

I did! Amazing shots. All of them!

:thanks:

Doesn't work.
Maybe a little...
How much did you spend?

Well...not nearly as much as we spent in Disney. But probably more than we should have.

Agreed. Even more stunning than the last shot.

I think Julie declared it her new favorite viewpoint. I don't know how you choose, to be honest.

I hate when that happens. It's rare for me to be up at Sunrise, but when I am, I don't want the sun to be obscured by nature! The outrage!

Yeah, stupid clouds! Don't they know who I am??

Huh. Considering that I never do hikes at parks (anymore) this is good to know.

Well, maybe it's useless info, but that wouldn't be the first time it happened in my TR's.

Sounds quite interesting, who knows if I will ever get to experience this someday.

It was neat to be down among the hoodoos.

I'm going with d)

Mostly b, actually. I was worried for them on the climb.

I don't think I would have chosen jeans, but I rarely wear jeans at all. I would have been in Capris and a tank top (I call this "my uniform") and I would have actually worn tennis shoes, which is a rarity for me.

I explained the blue jeans more up above, but the short version is: it was 55 degrees at night and still cool when we started the hike, and the jeans were the only long pants I had packed.

I think I did actually hike up to that one while Fran waited in the parking lot. I seem to remember there were two different overlooks that I hiked up to and they really tested my Acrophobia.

That was a steep climb, for sure! And some wide vistas to take in. Just don't look down.

As I said, I think I did this and found it to be really cool. But now you can't say that you are lazy.

Sure I can! I just had one good day.

I think it might be mine too.

It was either Bryce or Arches for me.

OK, I made it to yours! And I just finally updated mine today! :teeth:

And I managed to return the favor!:thumbsup2

Does he do toilet rolls, or only Marvin drawings?

Erm...yeah. I can see why you chose to do it your way.

Maybe it was a prank in the park ranger office. They just sit back and laugh at people trying to climb up that way.

Well, yes, I expect it is d.

So did everybody else!

:rotfl2: The Target bag sets it off...kind of like National Lampoons Canyon Vacation

Incredible pictures, once again. What a beautiful place!

Leave it to me to class the joint up.:thumbsup2

It ranks highly in the U.S. national park system, for sure.

Ok, new rule: readers must comment on the latest update before nagging me to eat my vegetables. :rotfl2::rotfl:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

SJ6PM_8R71LO51M9FJW8ZJsWiOoIKOBVZ8B0YV6Ah5K22qfRDbqMpaAyL0fhNfIQjpsnJGqQZ0uifqwtDCr_GJmMZMLEcx0QeOGAWeAAEefbuupJoxOBfP-JL0NGiRtg-uSAe2JvcfFRg6beEZCAS7JHZ6wt4AWok8unXhTGTSKLGJuxfuphtdr_Nps-xPne-nyaw7WcLSo1_IUUTvLm5SeUOCzvTzWxkKPIueVIOjRbPoWyAmNnn_Cuj5RADBdSF3CqfoNC3iwjlio3oBOpy3O5mHc2yTFtCTHTn_PnMCEOEGFMZsH5Cf5CBOcWk1tZPhAl8t9v8MHDcbFgY7Fuw_FI-lF9OMi1YNvo-4HFUzzWzRBS3kjURqtWldEttnmT9SWd-pJeTKxXIpZ89xZKae-69u8Q3mFbLVahiu9AnxIfVkIrCzbJouLu1ROdi1QAanASyy9vd7dHBdjghbKqiRn2LhvisEynQHBYPDas1PUaUAURzVkyJ4Ddczh80_xF9FzvniJfGGjVLbdjwqLK9iBNybLvhCPzu_slXE3kfaiaxJvqQeQGeeyD1Co0nX3bIxodbY4gZYYBS6Q8HkxBfuYmP66KkbVBnxnINBidecNBuOhLH0ySiojAkLw6_boT=w1184-h789-no

Looks like he's doing what most animals do every morning.

That post appears to be a, uh, popular spot for birds.

You beat me to it. (I edited my previous comment because I had said that ^)

Whoa!!

No one had hiked down Wall Street with us—we’d had the whole place to ourselves. That was pretty special.

I can imagine!

Buahahahaha!!

I love these, but the last is truly an amazing view!! Just wow!

What a lovely place. Maybe someday I'll get there.

Looks like he's doing what most animals do every morning.

All he needs is a little newspaper.

You beat me to it. (I edited my previous comment because I had said that ^)

I'm glad it wasn't just my mind that went there.

Buahahahaha!!

It's the Target bag, isn't it?

I love these, but the last is truly an amazing view!! Just wow!

What a lovely place. Maybe someday I'll get there.

It is really a stunning, beautiful place. I hope you do get to see it.

Bonus Chapter 5: The Road Less Traveled

I’m moving right along to the next chapter, mostly because my kids are bugging me to finish off this TR so I can start writing about our Disney trip. It’s like they’re not interested in seeing their parents having fun without them for some reason.

After leaving Bryce Canyon, we had a 3-hour drive ahead of us. We drove south for about an hour on Rt. 89, at which point we reached the turn for Rt. 9 in Mt. Carmel Junction.

Sadly, we passed it by. Rt. 9 takes you west to Zion National Park, and it’s a spectacular drive through red rock canyons and a tunnel that was blasted and dug way back in the 1920’s. We’d visited on our 2014 trip and seen some amazing views along that road.

For this trip, we’d made the tough decision to skip Zion. Not only had we already visited, but Zion is one of the most crowded national parks in the summer. Temperatures routinely climb up to 100 degrees in the valley there, and that combined with the crowds makes it less-than-ideal in the summer months. However, if you’ve never been there, then you need to go, crowds and all. It’s a beautiful place.

We kept on driving south, crossing the border into Arizona and then climbing out of the desert onto a forested plateau. Eventually, we reached the town of Jacob Lake.

In 2014, we’d driven past this very spot and made the decision not to turn south. We had been on our way to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, which was a 5-hour drive, and we had an 8-month-old baby in the car at the time. We’d decided to keep moving in order to minimize the amount of time we had to be in the car.

It had torn us up to do so, though. Rt. 67 heads south from Jacob Lake to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is the only road to the North Rim—42 miles one way. The National Park Service estimates that only 10% of visitors to the Grand Canyon each year visit the North Rim—most head to the more accessible (and crowded) South Rim. Those numbers are affected by the fact that the North Rim is generally only open to visitors from May through November (the lodge closes on Oct. 15). The road is covered in snow the rest of the year.

A 42-mile lonely road in the middle of nowhere? A rare site that only the most determined travelers get to visit? This might sound like torture to some of you, but it appealed to the spirit of adventure in us. We hated to pass it by in 2014. This time around, we made sure we wouldn’t miss it.

We also filled up with gas at Jacob Lake, because you can’t be too careful in these remote areas.

The drive winds through the Kaibab Plateau, covered by (naturally) the Kaibab National Forest. There are huge meadows along both sides of the road for at least 20 miles. Every meadow features signs informing drivers that it is unlawful to leave the road and drive through the meadow. And you know what they say: if they have to put up a sign…

Anyway, we managed to reach the park without taking any shortcuts off the paved road.

xMvtcq11Pg5ntvNs0SO4CbFlJpTbW_8hE1I7R8bTVCwYlvs5LqODhKn5NVvnskjo7pBH6VKmSGcBYPdiK8MUlGE1oXTM-Evu2LPDkJTZhZBa8vv4p_wiethIIIWoOw75WPyew44bhg4PX0PLzUi4azBUKaDY3cU3ZNH35zddDvZLXhTmwLmeFYpwOWgSlweBTplqdSH3xXf2uW7ljODJQEs83nwN6_UUrmZg-DE1T18qW_o71ihOVxsShC3p22nNpaqKWhSFM15nFld9XnlOGZCSjuT_nOXfiKcTkpHKqDOHm347J4K61LXGXizLGMB5bFH732i4TJZoPKsQdvCl5pGNGUWnO-7Mr9LJER9l0AZ-J8mum_R35AB8CZnCz-97Kjib4UT2yA6pmU7Qb37jHcex859rqYfz__UShoGKtdw3PuzQpVaUn_ypfcaK7LffcQzW47_GJHfVkmsQeI_cJSAgEjloN34aJnaqzn2hfg0oKGQsCq2sIgy4j4-2iJ9e1q1b1MXzkw0J5ZFzstPr36zxrNP6-f9mNF6rjpaa06NRVo4vkKgth350UelqiyrVjUtW4cE7yPZtum4J0hC457O8urG2yGCdCKBnCUXzWLi46541p090vX96w4vvwdDM=w1184-h789-no

I felt it was extremely thoughtful of the park to send out the welcoming committee just past the entrance station.

GxxKKub4UL9NxWSFKrviiKbYeE9amIOCaIENHA3MC8ak8e6mgt1rFCMzoLwQ5cK5jI7-ev3M7LAU_wIinQcHMCEGaYsJOrsCza627Yj9MNxQFlUwS7XbMnq5LCVWtJ7f8LBEhgjdJ6aE6XCtBcaVj05xClwD_sCUOwIoqe1-MKDWAJVjSAr1vAF7Rd53y_nFUwkqAqw-g1WNkzPGgI5zcCdQzbpIJxsgTCE9LlUW_TYBOr-FIEUlJ6CKEgHpurEytPFRZyniszks03xOOk0PM7MjcaG0WBoKSJvwvLLMiZk-jA5AKipnWITvyhVLvJgBHLl2H-LcyfetUT86R50BeoTB1i7ztiOKqv6a9yuW7jVEghUAdvrkMXCr5k-Xzp_ujud9mHeag0KhYtXaHNJhzITkN3AFbyl4X42yI7TL3C-11_OJU_tou3aNzSTwsJBo4Ijryn3Tn6wZ6aIz7cjVDHe7AofFl-_gt4T5IKAsDjo0LpzjO1P6J8qFS_gjwgWjThND6wV_RGrnSLafEwCydTN7JpIzTM0FV2y3Kb68XaCwX8MkmGCy66_InAppYoCh24xPZetvNdrCkIu49duilNsGVSVdXnaHtIEwDGNy91btr6J4WNyNGxEztOlC627t=w1184-h789-no

TmG9x9g2BLfN5Dg7-N1yMjLaxCvHr6tHMAQ323rBTeRRLqG_prFL6e8OWy0RoqXRy4pKvAIfkq0e37JWyklubeI5Cu1luCss6clIXUrqvj672wLPQcNUn_lrK_j6vIyLlKgYYoOP_5p-p9Y4-p8AscazbBY206C6ucP7Kox7GIXdfTv_JYywuZzAZZkAUkqct5ZHlx7CjFxLr7faTBOemiaBfxDShBQBAC00JfaqZl5PwWetoWinPLXYm6odwY09ROqMlp-O4hMyW_K3-yTS_u53RmOfZ7uqFbyW6s_aJwIYyNa9ZJbAI7MPBYCK4X9x8xPXcHKoNdktLHUzxGNC6GADYlXuTK8CjVSCxDwgCT_Gg_TuHRKxF3UgsWpAahlFX5zsudnWt7DHnEro_nbQno4yWuiliGzv77C9BCWx9G8u13ChTagH0YKks8ZeX0NBZBRmBgMkk6ZAFeTgyYdAX3t04MzM9KXTDK8AZswwctk0OC7H8hGg3GD5vDc_gvHl80UDM1a7TD3sNj531gZFRoI954Ece8pHBNoAfjrSPc2t4Qis-NICJkdPzg8iiEqipK_8LmhB8x2h_94A1_nwJWhr7XTa7rK7-Hu-ExLNI1v_OlHun9gjS6MTZfeB1LEf=w1184-h789-no

We hadn’t expected to see a herd of bison this far south, but…there they were. Always a majestic sight.

Several miles later, we arrived at the massive North Rim parking lot. One parking area serves both the lodge and the visitor center. It was here that my heart sank a bit.

The parking lot was almost completely full.

When I’d heard “only 10% of visitors make it to the North Rim”, I’d expected peaceful quiet and solitude. But apparently the entire 10% had decided to visit over the 4th of July holiday. The lodge felt packed with people.

Ok, fine. None of those people showed up in this photo. But trust me, it was crowded. I wouldn’t lie to you. Except about the exploding helicopters.

NUcZ2c_5ERVWrPN8HCAX-3E2pIH80geXV_zkeYKSKcEG-Jje62sdjy9Gd1jzu5GNNXZRD8XXUkKLyIuWZWa3R_y1AKUp72D-GgQF_Q-qM5IxwEyLe_wb9gcASyaJCfRoV_twZH3ivPnwwWRULZaL432e7IdoXEaed-w0I2-hgQz4EgCeh4JCTZ7DGcJ5ChyVQC5OPVriUP9ZcDwF6Z5bJ5J5-i-687l0LbVkGbjljq2e26PN-SBJt7trHW1RGyjxedoTs3Jxtz5ad6-0393fB3_F7gX3RYi7CJYrXANy19MO0SIef7-_dsyje_EZfrkNN2TY0KovWGxZ7pv6z01IcSCCDUykY78aZPZnJrncX9m_ubyCWaEV80EXDhO6n7KoCYsoDorJWko5o9qeAj1hpKaIZRAkICOkTW01fjRRHNDgoVeFAQf5o_fUNxwiIdpicKICt2zS4HybBcuLoekec8xzhLj0gH4VQZwHbmzXNRKnnEwD3FHVEnil07V83a2mhcVrcrS5GpCmlqdhdFnRvckviUlLVz6JqcvEIf08I5WcRt7Ab5x-N0oWVkcaUszT1tMfX-3juyFF9p-X9b83FTLoyOS02jaI5b6YvhnJO8WRCmAVd7uy--iSSWv8Vhp9=w1184-h789-no

We checked in and got the keys to our rustic cabin. It’s here that I have failed you, loyal readers—apparently I failed to get a single photo of the cabin, either interior or exterior. I will now hang my head in shame.

The cabin was much more basic than the one we’d occupied in Bryce. This was just a simple structure with a “double” bed and another single bed in a dark room, plus a bathroom. The “double” bed was maybe 18 inches wider than the single bed, and Julie and I got a good laugh from trying to see if we would actually fit in it together. It felt similar to when your kid invites you to sit at the play table in his pre-school classroom and you spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to fit onto the tiny bench. There was just no way.

We took a walk to explore the North Rim visitor area. The visitor center itself was fairly tiny, with only two rooms—one for exhibits and one for the gift shop. There were several walking paths that led to various viewpoints.

This is actually Bright Angel canyon, a tributary of the Grand Canyon. One thing we noticed was that there was more color on this side of the Grand Canyon. Much more green due to the forest on the plateau.

18Aqp-psZ_BY4UEclRckQZ1UwbgZ54asucrJ-yCOhF-WerBzKhjg-pk-6FMvQoqr0Lbu0BsA_KtaFowN2gd5IPVrdr_DwqyYPgX52ugNERJcK-vUaOQQ2hmvq0TwuqkErrBC-rCJtdMrUkqmM1TZRXp2xdAT7D6bwT78Cj2hzM63yu9YbDCqXF0EMqLSNcpCSxcRCpKbbbTlETMvF2_chlmmfg4hXTsSyXh77ul7DNV8AhnThk8fxZEeF3GUmQjnaYUucPBNxUCn4X2LUODZRdzFpHi-pwFKSPA8-42wr4UY_5IMKwaQtgcitKxxH7XHdUBrN5EoLSGT3Vhb_uEUBQMhNEhe0RJnXlA49At5KYRWybzQ9N6gPpoTm3OCw54Fm2iHk87JMT3kwFtpZmxb68cdajhP_ui6uEs6HautWslqW0M9gRimXQ-ZpUQ-6ii1Nu1zuFZEpNfR0QTVxA17eNDlgcP3-5BtkhYnl0ARtMuJ4StftufJSIzxNu0UXr1UzcnyVAg4lqib2EaUsga2pDA5z9UVLsyV-wPFIE31gAPLaQhWyYz3d87pCoa3K3QW3Gp3JXyE7G0NVfA_hokFGsgBS6iNapW_WkUPqe-XB1C8zN9U_o6sa2ykezx867Yp=w876-h584-no

This was our first view of the Grand Canyon, near Bright Angel Point.

BHajSjh3H8jBOiXmYk7FE0Cwk7FFgtgUCf_E-jwHY34-N3lpJsYv_U-8PbturEMG9obut7MitMurhFRQdKGBmhZXH-YXZhKWHtcomI96456S0h-SDNB8Ug8WpN1PqoBuV0PUUYFZ_g-xH9tU9YsV9Tto5UKLM9EMLihnlL6V2PSOcbeClatJ-f4YsXSyvtElAXwc47Kml4ATrK07_bvYL7n9SKSsSOoV1SwNiAcggIzvuMjpt3YIAXeKW7STrkwUYx2eXp3GFC8mgSxvtaIpEOVSVmaJtmqGwvqK25HDBKQBFj3TmeRnkzFiN0VCihcAMLQjho-x_Nd_vQ56t8kLntVeVYd5AV84HFDW_W2Rsy6UkZzpb7dw4eZWjQx68Gkg3djKBN1IQ1C0p4waKZ9T3uNpaKSQSAYDM7IASGs54rc5w4OPPeP-LWZwO6yNaN-3LkDphsAFRN41rS7k-0fnV8LiE8jXUepSeY9vegp58DJicTXlzdTNEAhJc2LyMyD_d60XAEN_1wDwooM7TfZaJ81QYwz82HzI0WqLJQLBCRTtiQvMsV31C3Au0eDhDka8MHTEKXgkVwTSjbgo93gXex0oxN2LqbmnNAeccHjN69McfghtvNvUJ0F5fBNL5eoN=w1184-h789-no

Looking back up, you could see that the Lodge was built for maximum viewing pleasure.

PMsIORcnfs9nYnBF99Ma21sDLC2vvWiaoLG_fRxcw65uiizXlYRRV5XlRJhnB7z4JQIrFKEayWIq05Jmy0h7FQ_-bXwC9WcijqM3CKhniHbEKunCKUNR6WfxLS8XlbQ7tg7gfbUQj9tj8wuVqiWt5Ocdw8NLaFAwZ5AP6bS0_N4uLvdKANds1ab6rDBiYNnfbJckhZ5L_PK60QGm0o2jzsyKUGbQ30CpQ_wOCL1IWu8OJRZ3bpldfRINNWnbD1B3Tw11UPoLo8G7SerFz7-DyTkpccLceKjMVFRqH5CHmhrriJd64wJlA4GBEdvfZkZSaHBvTu-5r_568rcRMKbdxq-Q5H0s0WyByfr2qRncSANLukGP7LwFb3sXGOr19s8pUBxQlvpFXKzs-p9ukX6O5Lrda6gzPpDps4Z08DZNox33Ym098Yewf_rKLlsehyd1mYCB95tMG4FjolCACAZzzC0b5CBAXzWAWMn1V7rZN-L1EHkmctiLaWxAA1JAzBakO1Jg_Brrc1abbdhZVIECSnWRJutuG8nn-yn5Qeci2SwGUTq6-e6deBk2V23GJylV_cMCpeiQdXktaF9OErgM67v2O1HDOcCVXOo1Sit9mcDrjxMlB6hdh9RdCWxgZFdl=w1184-h789-no

Being suckers for old National Park lodges, we fell in love with the main building fairly quickly.

8XMV2QRRrv8UoU8iI4xu2-xQfuX16U3pJXNmDXj-3th4M5fgytCBgk1qKCvjoRJQ2xJ-Ha9KXWmZ6TEcmqByAGo2alkGWTWwEnvKSOk-mvbQfx5Samk0Kog2CLeR5_8lEHwBdArM6KdnRZDTuGbDLWN0XR0_egNGiSuD26_BVwLwv9PMATODG_WwZAN0NjJ3f7kCscNtQrkO8v5Q4ae-BQVTjt80-t3qJAszjr6-N3e-uaoTjeFypGFGimgncJxQO0dpCdG1IA-VGGm5zTFIoz3p15t-j6YCH6CbzEpQE7KuTkpqZJzRaMceOnDkKVIXDmPhecugOB0mOpG-DhJQp-9jaJVRsMC2kKXko410D0VHIBHl9MMlCsHyOIkfPyYr2xwdm9NYkzJC7ho5mjKXVYd8uDeLaxCbGIfUvkBNqjT_kTvlTI_SLlr4ztZdZ2w8U-Lt8LdYunatoWRXYdkKP4d82ze1SOfDiKo6PYOoEpE3lSUgoCuKEbrZ56xbx73VqNS2L-oKNqRQvMGaAIcyDhu6eV0l7SmYUtRKW1dHXrUEhU5YmdpNQ-nS6iuFs8h0NfTIsN-qegYHOospJ3J-QhXzseQAqzP6bMhX6BA3ow08zY3zoJyty6jM-G0PbOH2=w1184-h789-no

Q12Wnrkx5r2B_EO7Yg-y4KiEXFd5OjMMsV7w5SYIhlIS91onpYu3WIPSTASpKSfdkPGSmNzoJUHPFvjtjCBKGy5tmYsHbSrhKUflhhswaL1TjSuHFMDU25C0qG9myF_fCx-0LCukK64bxCunWw5M88MqELTCnJdBrJusiLBOm9a8fCal2mu-bU26cMMPxf5EfZxVmrjfWfLyooDje0rvm37akaVogN3UQq1unaX8N34yCQUwXY1-ctzjl9JZKYxlnmeIZT-TgHHmvjPfSzV9dg3x3ZvX462wRPT5uevxIlEFRK35GqRaVcfI6Y3vBzVoEiLjvmb2h3bqjb-H8fPjEmUBAUwx6aS1TrsgNRXr4hZ97ECAsIVD4ZfHr7RrmU7POHJs5952kaCo4DTr7wigdtauhe490fM_ZgQFoXfgDfyW_V2BvDLniPKPkjZ4EZ3iAJ7M_SFS29G8LbDYkAyrtjPi83h8ispPmtQ2jHYD0K2VS4BQ3s68AEmEOFtLAnw0jOC9rItdU8LTSjV6ZkGIYUDKcXmAMsny9HqUguVyNapNKaUuxGUk6WV9F0eQwcPjYAXyW3SuVjx-2mcBRvazRnTOcntQY8UzNx4lZlBQijZA2c4JjsTtscuaTQnqsp4K=w1184-h789-no

We wandered inside the Grand Canyon Lodge. It was originally built in 1927-28 by a subsidiary of the Union Pacific Railroad and was a huge, majestic building in the same spirit as the Old Faithful Inn. However, a fire in 1932 destroyed much of the lodge and it was rebuilt a few years later on a much smaller scale. Dozens of small cabins surround the lodge and serve as the primary rooms for guests. The lodge building itself contains a lobby, sitting room with a magnificent view, dining room, and meeting room. Here’s the sitting room and viewing area.

djo02CSJO8Rh-9F58WtniUesXuSPf2eoH-v8h3us9sO0aOyOgobpjJeNZPa0C8NwLNs0Qp4BNNO1zz-QCrWiVA7bvUttcsVRmqQ5oNZj_sFhHPqI96peiuvCxBVAm5O2Cdbdb42ZSdRHiax4M_YKTpJnxxBkyiGepPtRJ-yWbdc2g5B3myhr85zglk3aCvPd0-imUDbzGYeLKJIOd4FyxTDRSnnrJrIheLQ6aF8qulwRq95Mf5dJcfYAvcQE3PDJghsmFMjYAD8S_ugPB3oxuXzVN8JDYblVtLKUo1Z6FTFo6H030ij5KXvhbBVC-3gUy-9QYAMxZI8s_UBQqufo8gYGuqu1KyobaAxpGTxbKvv-UAtHjUgX7D3woUie4FCI69oViz7FCbFEoMvMk0dYFAYvBqvJ5H5mismMJqySC2KjwnRBxPwPj176nJE6sAPx0LeKvqbXRwQq0JQbMkX8SuKYy7QSb3UnD8siw1F8WYLyxV05rsrkpPU27dtK3E7NdfFOFRJbSSCanWSP-Wp8l3Yctt0q2w-KU6quqsZGSZPeoQ45DDU97gb324lNHUqastzFEtH1WDBd1otir3mSSdD4b6lxTxL1wD92zjleTUxP9QHcebYZSMUTAqo8oU2c=w1184-h789-no

When I’d reserved the cabin, I’d also made a reservation well in advance for dinner in the main dining room. I figured we needed at least one “nice” meal on our romantic getaway. Plus, we’d had crappy pizza for lunch and I kind of owed Julie at that point.

2n2QCqBHhvfOQgqlsMAJfdwgI9CEiEO6YZF9dOY5Bi1iYu3xrWwIlNlEtFgX5tkZwlp8A9SJBetH94_MGeB9p_cR_z6v894fBXSgQEuvfIo2OCFYJBzchEa1KJvPc22HTBXGdHI9bXxNoE7HSSpTKT6u4eZdMGYH_aY7-nVK-wU-faFNPcmgRHTdvJaNDPqS6YedAhbAnicntP53TPGRjXkKvN1pPCuMvtBcPreGzNUpMFHNJbc8iwvI7UYh2TeYmGcdSeptXj3hNBEvH1dWGEOy_5ASMQ2UX5vNQh3J9xduLGd1brlO39ItJVC6Q9Rab2FW1lxbOFHUF06YuJe8Pdfh60rRr7yu3GSNUnV27fQ8cUgMOFgy7tI4DEQP0f0XsbVivxeE4prOwpEpApR77Kr6q_5N4PdJzDo-cwjHXSvx03QzplQ-CuTHIC_LrO_7e8UXaYXh5kX5m_x3htDnl4BnfNtngYf7qV9V0iaoB03cqruvJVF7xc2fzHxQES_3dtBhI-pJRslLXYP1YYlqALkeDCyOFtKOvQPEYT0vkonOTYo6f6-NCIZ1huRT1VKX5i7wac7lAVDY0ohrhv03GfhAqRmiSnYiqRU4rjm-Qk5-1Ya90HjvW6ueiv9MO0cG=w1184-h789-no

We were seated one row away from the windows, which gave us a decent view. I didn’t take a photo, though, because there were other people at the table between us and the window and nobody wants to have their meal disturbed by other people’s flash bulbs.

We got our food, and then I took photos of our plates for my faithful Trip Report readers, which means I was disturbing other people’s meals with my flash bulb. Julie ordered a chicken alfredo dish, which she reported was “decent.”

bY9VEVklRPWxal_ImpJNosmdcMduRIL2GHLos7nBmxYaTasTypQ-k6k4dFE5UBWF7UnyxzAF4PiBF8AAQIoZ2b9owOsf0Zsqpi2EkKh84KdVyPwfPHPQLr_y5KtqepdWVEVkABjTfZep1TYt_Drs96FcgtII8-6uJij3R5G6lPVIEI0QRVAzgkNRTQkCPZhHsEUQKmsmtu6NVsykaEcQMhofkdWFNvO1gEUzJhPVQGyADxnFeixTVawbLFYuMN8TpL_X3IivMBhUbNlOCwYeluoyYrJf4koqO7WwID9Y34q6ii6Ys6DXMTYrsHwr_W11AdJpk2zqob-Ij4QQSxy8CEZBtf2aRkiuk6nXvm1zO4iLvmd_xKZsAcBrBfD5QNr0ZV1AXxqJNEyBAeSRdnDLm8Y9YvEsy5jEcLBuT1nzWoWyy_WbhSWsTCtRjKEy7yiLBdJ5TMYkQyOVS_XahHqN9QmdAIxw0OxWYDDnYrbngsUPyJw0Kqe0dh9-QIfCcSwRGmBNPiGtPWTrOk9uuxTsCANID91krAHAl-N3uU-jNvviYE6SpN9KVUzJ7boz3TXZM1LcsfqKPZdxMKS8QhvwWgoAMbmde6LMd7tkfyg_4k7Nby1GhsGqjQFGKjUU1i_P=w1184-h789-no

I kept things simple and ordered a strip steak. It was pretty good.

wA0CxUJnev6SAJ5oQ-mjvX8CdGRefTSHkPlrkCSnE7Kwjbt6QtpLh_lvuOx8nbN6Wtjj8YSyluWVqVy7BXOKItO-evqMiSBTLQ6wKar0Yj1Nl1DYn7rUcR5SjTPqpsOssUogKjWPW_f9rlte7MvdLDs3cwS-BaV6etoHm5aPmP_PCGNzxY5oR8K5X11VrLxFelM5-Xpss2Kub6HCm8wGNBGxsU0vgIWr-r_5yLqUStfub4PQ6n6Hk27BpLtldn6z0v6Fo_-Ksnn8c8mklkE8MvutdBPmfJ_fDno0HQLjQIFMgEMcLhfE1RLBY47bRdUbG7YekmJeLVCUDBeX-NyxeNs3XaLISCAa6qNftp7g6ZD8VGOMIpMEm9IpOW--icZ5BZRjrwjUG1GL8h-fpOFBdP8MApM7pwSgVVSPgsujl1vxJrD3m5HQB1RC0LR4OsUrwiVcslaVs_RKaVhIuB9Q8AA9SReDVuBgYjJljH9otgRV4j1L61KXdmyJXNOpkdMzgxNlGcXpVW9v54YKgUwUWxAtwCzmno3YSVdxXR4lVJW35wvDy-ZMVNcM9LeyV93R9CRQmfo6WGU4ZUf2cSFMZN7PT1a7G2pQCMax8VeclX3l25r1ECZ4uj2igbo0gTo6=w1184-h789-no

We figured the lodge must have gotten an extra shipment of snap peas, since they were being offered with every single entrée. I’m happy to report that I was able to successfully shove all of the snap peas to the side of the plate while I ate the rest of the meal.

The food was fine, nothing spectacular. When you’re in such a remote location, dining choices are always going to be limited and you don’t always get what you pay for—the price of having to ship the food in from long distances is built into the menu. But it’s the only game in town, so you get what you get and you’ll like it!

Afterwards, we went back out to the overlook to watch the sunset. The colors in the sky weren’t all that great to the west, but there were some nice shadows over the canyon itself.

7xJ2tVcqJVz0lP6ETu9-mXmjk1XfvfyIdqIeK9iDQFjka_xUkqZL7rL79y9m7bP5fEuQyae8i0KPayZxWQaWTfFDcIO1eOvFPBIyt8dvRRSJpekhr8-blS9bm0tEHB78Ek3OCCUl8naLjfsLfqvU386P8Dd66uLcBcqzwnXd_YL__W1XSRRn8fRJL8jj5izsUq2eXYf0VyGozdurbthd3N8D1oLyPbhNphVtyCou8bgI55gkjaP1g0d1ycWlHCaHnMcLZiNdaAW7FasT7UuQd311BwEcKbnh8SqR-Tt9cw2fCp-jQTdBbCBdWrGrXR8DZ2fPmgDgsZVJblmyErTbDtSHTYSzxkDa6Jo685B9RTmdrxybqaibLah4i62eX1qmJpvbb6yJxMkMSbvso4B5BKwUCuo-7vcmpdztPhuEV5NAR1jWJnPrCqup3PJkkw11vp9zGgqoCOtz00h0GEgjAPZAHXca8Xt2zMUXEP5VZGwIfhBe3C0avpEg9_CbDLxY5Ak92L8WO47S7vC1JAOZKdSUs1t2_Pu4TudKyG5jaEIvqPybyxXWbmU_9DNZCceURm1dGzJyZlcjlBB6fG9hhRpCDakVxTxc_VcAXQaDPUvRBaoTpToG4fUonhCEx3Yf=w1184-h789-no

psN7yzy-KgwEiHkOuDf8mMzKgeN7bl7Cs94GYGXaaHycmALcSl_YHAEl_rxOXJFgZUoprIf3oVkd2yUcJ8vyo0oOu_0386gZSoTyla9IEeqoRpJzV5jj_IOPOTgzx9lbeXivxP8tGi9zU4Q83punja_XurOdJhL9Kr4FifAtKRIDsOBLc_5co9oyqikrcsdpMJZwvG6jhC6aC_MABniKU18XN_KYKnC1kYJuLif3DwbB8RgX8I32RObZDkD03GwQF4B1PxKxt8E-ioXVPXbTSofl8YwtMuiHGx098Sdtv5HXnxazDjCKANCoNCD1OCIeHdsNciPoZOR6AK8CfdX7ZOFjRMOVbCzRVIPaDBUq2NpnTqhcWI-jGZ97SrU2HwDNQhamkRPurwUXSyKgcOst0BEIe2poklOyd2g9_YA2iQnNkYg0Iq55PAMr2ix7aWPKqHqNMz-vhxP6-KtCQLgVKCpbQFIQoC8NJzmUCUZ7OFZUvwK8OO8vA0a664VWQVhhC5FnUFx1nM2yrjjcfmLW5OZdiSJzdkq_s3FXQ7wfxgYNRTyVqhK9uZJb8wb5cgR4GrhsXofBhlXivY81XpdqvztCZqoMtv_5MYarwLxvFc_eg-m0j1m8dl7eJAaygrbH=w1184-h789-no

I’ve said it before, but it’s just impossible to capture the scope of the Grand Canyon in a photograph. You can see the jagged slopes and the amazing colors, but the sheer size and expanse of it is something that needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.

We had hoped to spend the evening hanging out on one of the two outdoor verandas on either side of the sitting room/viewing area of the lodge. Unfortunately, both areas were packed with people. There wasn’t a single available seat—I think most people had staked out their spot and claimed it for at least a couple of hours. Note to self: get to the veranda early if you want a coveted seat.

Coming Up Next: I speed through our final day at the North Rim so I can hurry up and get onto the Disney World TR. There, are you happy, kids?!?!

Zion is one of the most crowded national parks in the summer. Temperatures routinely climb up to 100 degrees in the valley there, and that combined with the crowds makes it less-than-ideal in the summer months. However, if you’ve never been there, then you need to go, crowds and all. It’s a beautiful place.
Good to know. If I ever plan a trip to the part of the world, summer may not be the best time for it.

And you know what they say: if they have to put up a sign…
:sad2: I can only imagine why....

We hadn’t expected to see a herd of bison this far south, but…there they were. Always a majestic sight.
I don't think I have ever seen a bison. Certainly not in such a natural setting. I can't count the one in Livin' with the Land.

It’s here that I have failed you, loyal readers—apparently I failed to get a single photo of the cabin, either interior or exterior. I will now hang my head in shame.
You know, your failure has reminded me that I have failed also. I forgot to show a picture of our room when we checked in to ASMu - and I actually have that picture. Well, looks like I will have to make an adjustment to my trip report. This reporting stuff is hard. Is there a guidebook or something?

This is actually Bright Angel canyon, a tributary of the Grand Canyon. One thing we noticed was that there was more color on this side of the Grand Canyon. Much more green due to the forest on the plateau.
I actually like the addition of the green. Not that the other pictures aren't stunning.

We figured the lodge must have gotten an extra shipment of snap peas, since they were being offered with every single entrée. I’m happy to report that I was able to successfully shove all of the snap peas to the side of the plate while I ate the rest of the meal.
I'm glad to hear it. Although, I must admit that snap peas are one of the few green things that I will actually eat.

All he needs is a little newspaper.

Or a smart phone.

I'm glad it wasn't just my mind that went there.

Great minds...

It's the Target bag, isn't it?

No. The cheesy grin. ;)

It is really a stunning, beautiful place. I hope you do get to see it.

I have a feeling I will. I like to make "somedays" happen.

It had torn us up to do so, though. Rt. 67 heads south from Jacob Lake to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is the only road to the North Rim—42 miles one way. The National Park Service estimates that only 10% of visitors to the Grand Canyon each year visit the North Rim—most head to the more accessible (and crowded) South Rim. Those numbers are affected by the fact that the North Rim is generally only open to visitors from May through November (the lodge closes on Oct. 15). The road is covered in snow the rest of the year.

One of the most beautiful drives on the planet.

In my 6 years of living in that area (and traveling a fair bit) I'd never seen any either! Cool that they've moved back!

One time, we drove over there and literally camped open air right on the edge with a view JUST like that. It was spectacular!

“decent.”

pretty good.

Despite having said that ^^...

But it’s the only game in town, so you get what you get and you’ll like it!

... this is very true.

The Target bag sets it off...kind of like National Lampoons Canyon Vacation

this comment made me think of cousin Eddie.

I’m moving right along to the next chapter, mostly because my kids are bugging me to finish off this TR so I can start writing about our Disney trip. It’s like they’re not interested in seeing their parents having fun without them for some reason.

Well....I'm eager to have you start that one too....as much as I've enjoyed this report.

WOW

We checked in and got the keys to our rustic cabin. It’s here that I have failed you, loyal readers—apparently I failed to get a single photo of the cabin, either interior or exterior. I will now hang my head in shame.

Unacceptable. You are forgiven....this time.

This was our first view of the Grand Canyon, near Bright Angel Point.

Stunning

Did you and Julie swap water glasses?

So.. you want no bird or a beer in its hand?

It appears to be a pinyon jay.

Ah! Gorgeous.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Now that would be awesome.

Sure.
upload_2018-9-23_19-16-20.png

Thanks, smart guy.:sad2:

You're very welcome!!!

No idea. Unless it was a typo and they weren't careful in proofreading? But we were so glad we went the opposite direction.

Could be? :confused3

I thought they looked a little too symmetrical to be natural. But maybe I'm wrong.

Hmmm... no clue.

Well...not nearly as much as we spent in Disney. But probably more than we should have.

It's not possible to spend that kind of money elsewhere.

I think Julie declared it her new favorite viewpoint. I don't know how you choose, to be honest.

No kidding!

I’m moving right along to the next chapter, mostly because my kids are bugging me to finish off this TR so I can start writing about our Disney trip.

Ungrateful little....

It’s like they’re not interested in seeing their parents having fun without them for some reason.

:sad2:

Zion is one of the most crowded national parks in the summer.

Good to know...

However, if you’ve never been there, then you need to go, crowds and all. It’s a beautiful place.

...but also noted.

The National Park Service estimates that only 10% of visitors to the Grand Canyon each year visit the North Rim—most head to the more accessible (and crowded) South Rim.

Oh! only 10%. then my next thought was "why"?

Those numbers are affected by the fact that the North Rim is generally only open to visitors from May through November (the lodge closes on Oct. 15). The road is covered in snow the rest of the year.

And then you answered. Thanks!

A 42-mile lonely road in the middle of nowhere? A rare site that only the most determined travelers get to visit? This might sound like torture to some of you, but it appealed to the spirit of adventure in us.

Me too!

And you know what they say: if they have to put up a sign…

:sad2:

I felt it was extremely thoughtful of the park to send out the welcoming committee just past the entrance station.

Well, when only 10% show up, they like to put on a show.

Very cool. ::yes::

The parking lot was almost completely full.

When I’d heard “only 10% of visitors make it to the North Rim”, I’d expected peaceful quiet and solitude. But apparently the entire 10% had decided to visit over the 4th of July holiday. The lodge felt packed with people.

Well.... crap!

Ok, fine. None of those people showed up in this photo. But trust me, it was crowded. I wouldn’t lie to you. Except about the exploding helicopters.

You lied about the exploding helicopters??????

For shame, sir! Shame, I say! Shame!

Having never been... interesting.

Beautiful shot.

Being suckers for old National Park lodges, we fell in love with the main building fairly quickly.

I ca see why!

However, a fire in 1932 destroyed much of the lodge

Oh... dang that’s too bad. :(

and it was rebuilt a few years later on a much smaller scale.

Really too bad.

We got our food, and then I took photos of our plates for my faithful Trip Report readers,

That’s better.

We figured the lodge must have gotten an extra shipment of snap peas, since they were being offered with every single entrée.

:laughing:

I’m happy to report that I was able to successfully shove all of the snap peas to the side of the plate while I ate the rest of the meal.

:lmao:

:) Nice shot of you two.

I’ve said it before, but it’s just impossible to capture the scope of the Grand Canyon in a photograph.

I’ve heard that from others too.

Coming Up Next: I speed through our final day at the North Rim so I can hurry up and get onto the Disney World TR. There, are you happy, kids?!?!

:laughing:

Late to the party, just discovered your TR, but made it in time for the last chapter. You're a great writer! Fun to follow along your family adventure, and your Utah pics are beautiful.

Good to know. If I ever plan a trip to the part of the world, summer may not be the best time for it.

Sometimes you just have to go when you can. My wife is a teacher and my kids are in high school/soon to be college. So, we're slaves to summer travel.

:sad2: I can only imagine why....

It must have been quite the joyride.

I don't think I have ever seen a bison. Certainly not in such a natural setting. I can't count the one in Livin' with the Land.

It can be pretty mesmerizing. Just promise me you won't walk up to them and attempt a selfie.

You know, your failure has reminded me that I have failed also. I forgot to show a picture of our room when we checked in to ASMu - and I actually have that picture. Well, looks like I will have to make an adjustment to my trip report. This reporting stuff is hard. Is there a guidebook or something?

We have no need for rules here! I can't even imagine trying it like @Steppesister does--out of chronological order!

I actually like the addition of the green. Not that the other pictures aren't stunning.

I liked the green in there, too. Just another color to gawk at.

I'm glad to hear it. Although, I must admit that snap peas are one of the few green things that I will actually eat.

Hey, more power to you! Peas are on the list of things I find complete inedible. Most of the things on the list are green.

Or a smart phone.

Goodness, yes. I was really dating myself there.

Great minds...

...go straight to the gutter.

No. The cheesy grin. ;)

But that's what my grin always looks li--

HEY!!

I have a feeling I will. I like to make "somedays" happen.

That's what I like about you.

One of the most beautiful drives on the planet.

It is a good one, for sure!

In my 6 years of living in that area (and traveling a fair bit) I'd never seen any either! Cool that they've moved back!

The meadows certainly made for a perfect place for them to roam.

One time, we drove over there and literally camped open air right on the edge with a view JUST like that. It was spectacular!

Very cool! That must have been wonderful!

Despite having said that ^^...

... this is very true.

Beggars can't be choosers!

this comment made me think of cousin Eddie.

Now that there is an RV...don't go fallin' in love with it, because we're takin' it with us when we leave next month.

Well....I'm eager to have you start that one too....as much as I've enjoyed this report.

It's amazing how everyone on this Disney message board wants to hear about Disney parks.

::yes::

Unacceptable. You are forgiven....this time.

Whew.

Did you and Julie swap water glasses?

No, it's more likely the server put them in the wrong place and we switched later.

So.. you want no bird or a beer in its hand?

The toilet paper roll is the clear winner.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Perfect!

It's not possible to spend that kind of money elsewhere.

This is true. We did give it a run in the Kennedy Space Center gift shop, though.

Ungrateful little....

I know. It's my cross to bear.

Good to know...

...but also noted.

Some of us are stuck with summer travel for the foreseeable future. Not much we can do about it.

Oh! only 10%. then my next thought was "why"?

And then you answered. Thanks!

We try to be a full-service TR operation here.

Well, when only 10% show up, they like to put on a show.

That's not how Disney thinks!

Well.... crap!

The bird already took care of that part.

You lied about the exploding helicopters??????

Wait, did I say that out loud?

For shame, sir! Shame, I say! Shame!

Sigh...fine. Here's a photo I found on the interwebs.

der-raum-von-innen.jpg

Beautiful shot.

Thank you, sir!

Oh... dang that’s too bad. :(

Yeah, it would have been neat to stay in a lodge room itself. But they don't really exist anymore.

:) Nice shot of you two.

Thanks again!

I’ve heard that from others too.

The sheer size of it is just...incomprehensible.

Late to the party, just discovered your TR, but made it in time for the last chapter. You're a great writer! Fun to follow along your family adventure, and your Utah pics are beautiful.

:welcome: Thanks for reading along!

I know. It's my cross to bear.

It's every father's.

Some of us are stuck with summer travel for the foreseeable future. Not much we can do about it.

Yep. Get that. Really do.

We try to be a full-service TR operation here.

Top up the oil while you're at it.

That's not how Disney thinks!

Nope! :laughing:

The bird already took care of that part.

I helped him out there.

Wait, did I say that out loud?

YES

Sigh...fine. Here's a photo I found on the interwebs.

der-raum-von-innen.jpg

So doesn't count.

The sheer size of it is just...incomprehensible.

I'd like to see for myself someday.
<sigh>

some day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!