The ultimate split-stay thread

Advice please! First timer to WDW but I am a huge planner and researcher. I generally book all of our holidays piece by piece myself, so I’m no stranger to planning to make things work.

We will be renting DVC for our Nov 2019 vacation. We agreed to do at least a two resort split-stay but we are now considering a three resort stay. Is that mad?

I’ve read we can check-in online, and we tend to live out of our suitcases on holiday anyway. We were originally considering a split-stay between AKL and one of the monorail resorts (either Poly or GF) though we were not decided on which way round to do them. I’ve drafted a rough itinerary with restaurants and parks, and it became obvious that along with a good amount of resort time, we’d like to stay for longer (originally we were looking at 5 at AKL and 4 nights at the monorail). We are now considering keeping the 5 at AKL, reducing monorail to 3, and adding 3 at Boardwalk. Mostly because we want to enjoy the Epcot and Boardwalk areas. We are real foodies.

We are not likely booking dining plans as looking at how we eat, we are better off out of pocket.

So, to my questions:
1) Are we mad as first timers to split three-ways?
2) we are also going to stay three nights at Universal as we are huge HP fans (are three nights enough?!) but should we stick our US stint in the middle so we have sandwiched Disney either side and therefore can make use of Magic Express both ends, or just leave it at the end and book transport to get to the airport from US?

So excited! I’ve become Disney obsessed.

Thanks in advance.

I know I’m in the minority here, but I think it sounds like a great plan. I’m planning my honeymoon for September 2019 and we’re doing three resorts. 5 nights at Contemporary, 2 nights at a universal resort (Royal Pacific), and 2 or 3 nights at AKL. Everyone seems to think sandwiching universal in the middle is a bad idea, but for two adults, it’s honestly not that big of a hassle. I think it comes down to what you think will work best for you and your travel party. I know I’m going to be happier/more excited arriving in Florida and then going straight to Disney instead of starting at universal, and I also know I’m going to be bummed out that Disney is over if we tack on universal at the end. So I decided to stick it in the middle. I know DME isn’t a huge deal, but I just really enjoy starting the Disney experience as soon as we land, and getting that final taste as we leave the resort. Is it the most efficient plan? No. Will it make me happy? Yes. Do what you think will make you happy! It’s going to be a wonderful trip, regardless :)

Just two adults. We’ve done split vacations before, with way more traveling.

I did a split stay our first trip (POR, Wl, AKL) with my mom and sp needs daughter. We loved it. This time I am going solo and have 3 hotels (universal, POP, and AKL). I am going to Lyft my luggage from POP to AKL since they have until 6 pm to transfer your luggage.

Have a wonderful time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can confirm for me. We have a 6 night, 7 day MYW package booked at BC and decided to add two days to the beginning of our trip. To save money we would spend the first two nights at All Star Sports with a RO reservation. Can we start using our park tickets two days before our MYW package begins? I saw earlier on this thread something about being able to go to Guest Services at any of the parks to activate the tickets in your MYW package up to 3 days before it begins. Is this stlll the case or can we start the tickets anytime without having to go to Guest Services since they're linked to our MDE accounts?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can confirm for me. We have a 6 night, 7 day MYW package booked at BC and decided to add two days to the beginning of our trip. To save money we would spend the first two nights at All Star Sports with a RO reservation. Can we start using our park tickets two days before our MYW package begins? I saw earlier on this thread something about being able to go to Guest Services at any of the parks to activate the tickets in your MYW package up to 3 days before it begins. Is this stlll the case or can we start the tickets anytime without having to go to Guest Services since they're linked to our MDE accounts?
You have to go to Guest Services if you want to use your tickets ahead of your check in date for the package. The tickets will not be active for use until the check in date unless GS does their magic.

What do you guys do on switch day if you don’t want to be out in the blazing summer sun during the 11-3pm time?
So, no parks, expect no pools due to inability to find cover/shade chairs, and basically nothing else wandering around outdoors.

Do you go see a movie or go bowling? Will have 2 kids.

What do you guys do on switch day if you don’t want to be out in the blazing summer sun during the 11-3pm time?
So, no parks, expect no pools due to inability to find cover/shade chairs, and basically nothing else wandering around outdoors.

We do indoor attractions. Or a lunch ADR. I do midday breaks by the pool almost daily. I’ve never had an issue finding a seat at any resort including the poly and beach club.

We do indoor attractions. Or a lunch ADR. I do midday breaks by the pool almost daily. I’ve never had an issue finding a seat at any resort including the poly and beach club.

Thanks! What kind of indoor attractions- do you mean at the park or things to do inside resorts/recreation? I don’t think I could handle being out walking in the parks even from indoor-to-indoor during noon/early afternoon. An ADR would take up part of the time, though.

We haven’t had a problem with seats at pools, generally, but haven’t actually ever found any available that are in the shade- maybe just haven’t had the luck.

Thanks! What kind of indoor attractions- do you mean at the park or things to do inside resorts/recreation? I don’t think I could handle being out walking in the parks even from indoor-to-indoor during noon/early afternoon. An ADR would take up part of the time, though.

We haven’t had a problem with seats at pools, generally, but haven’t actually ever found any available that are in the shade- maybe just haven’t had the luck.

Indoor attractions like any shows (Nemo, lion king, carousel of progress, laugh floor, shows at Epcot, etc).

Last trip we endured the heat after our VN ADR since i let disney transfer my bags. I didn’t have anything for the pool until 4 pm so we just stayed in the parks. Next trip I’m thinking of taking uber to move our bags and going to the pool midday.

For our first switch day of a 3-way split stay we planned Legoland, so we were completely out in the hot sun but it was by our choice! Our second switch day I dropped my DS8, DS5, and DH off at TL and took the toddlers and shopped at DS. Both days worked out wonderfully. As luck would have it our room was ready at 10 am the first time and 10:30 am the second time! If we had been desperate for a room I’m sure they would have not been ready until 4:00, or something along those lines! We had Disney movie our bags both times.

ETA we did go see a 10:00 movie one day followed immediately by lunch while we bowled at Splittsville. This wasn’t a room change day, but it would have been a very good way to handle one of them, maybe with a slightly later start to the movie.

Hi all. First post and first timer here in February. Ok, so this my plan is going going to sound crazy, but I need some positive vibes that all could go well.

Arrival Day 1: Poly Stay
Day 2: Hollywood Studios Day with stay at Grand Flo
Day 3: Magic Kingdom then continue stay at Grand Flo
Day 4: Epcot then stay at Contemporary
Day 5: Animal Kingdom then stay at AK Jambo House

I REALLY want to make this work. Just concerned my Deluxe Dining Olan doesn’t have issues. Thoughts?!

Family Considerations:
- DH and I love to be on the go for vacay
- I am a planner.
- First family trip EVER with kids.
- And wait for it.... we have four. 7, 6, 3 and 18 months

Vacay Plans:
- Using RS and FP to our advantage
- Going in Feb low season, hopefully low crowds
- Deluxe Dining Plan

NEEDING:
- Assurance this can work!! Positive vibes
- Tips on making it go smoothly (like figuring out how to get rooms early, checking out tips to make sure ressies work... etc)

Please reassure this momma!! Thanks!!!

Hi sengerson!

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you plan on going in February and going to all of these places, then I hope you have your reservations already done. Truthfully options for February are already pretty limited. Depending on the dates of your trip, and the types of rooms you want, it would probably be possible to string such a trip together, but get busy on your reservations NOW! I think your trip is otherwise very doable. Good luck.

It is helpful That one of your children is only 18 months which lets you add them to any room and not have to count them towards occupancy. In other words you, your husband, and your three other children count as 5 and the baby doesn’t count, so you can use a five person studio even though there are six of you with the 18 month old baby. And not all resorts have five person studios. Some of them have only four person studios. But some one-bedrooms might also be able to hold five.

But I cannot emphasize enough that if you want to use your DVC and have good options then people need to book right at the beginning of the seven month window, even in slow seasons.

Last edited:
My family loved our AKL and POLY split stay in April but I think you may be wasting a lot of time with four changes in five days. I would consider staying at a MK resort (they are all great) and switch to AK the last one or two nights. Maybe even switch your park days around so DHS is day 4. That way you are on the monorail line for MK and Epcot. You’ll have to take a bus to DHS anyway (although you can take the $25 Minnie van LYFT to DHS and that’s pretty fun). If this is your first trip, you will not have enough park time with all of that movement. Each time you switch resorts you will be booking a new reservation so the dining plan will be separate for each new reservation. Honestly, you won’t be able to enjoy the resort with the amount of time you’re staying there (except arrival day) so I would suggest considering limiting your split stay to resorts that allow to the most convenience and proximity to parks. You will have a magical trip, for sure! Good luck :)

Thanks guys!

@Frederic Civish, I already have all my ADRs booked and my hotel stays done. I was just needing affirmation that I wouldn’t have a break down.

I’m am saddened that no one thinks it’s doable with my family configuration. Not just here, but over the phone and on another thread.

I really wanted to stay at each of those Deluxe resorts to get a flavor of each one. But I do appreciate the honesty.

If I did do it, should I physically check out each day?

Thanks guys!

@Frederic Civish, I already have all my ADRs booked and my hotel stays done. I was just needing affirmation that I wouldn’t have a break down.

I’m am saddened that no one thinks it’s doable with my family configuration. Not just here, but over the phone and on another thread.

I really wanted to stay at each of those Deluxe resorts to get a flavor of each one. But I do appreciate the honesty.

Honestly I'd skip the dining plan if you really want to move that much. You will never be able to settle into a resort, and if the baby needs a nap or you just need a mid afternoon break you will be out of luck. We have done multiple split stays and the minimum I'd spend at a resort before splitting is 3 days.
And having multiple dining reservations each day on top of packing taking luggage to bells services, calling bell services at each resort once you finally get a room, waiting on luggage, etc-you will spend much much more time eating/waiting on reservations/waiting on luggage than you will have in the parks!

I agree with the pick ONE monorail resort and then maybe AKL the last day or 2. AKL is amazing!
I get wanting to try new places but you asked for feedback :)

Thanks guys!

I think your plan is fine. And I think it is very doable. Let me illustrate how things might go.

For our family here is a typical day at Disney. Get up early eat breakfast and head to the park at 7, 8 or nine. More times than I like it is actually around nine or sometimes even just a bit later. If we head to the park later in the morning then we often stay until later in the afternoon.

We try to do our fast passes and whatever else we want but our goal is to get most of our riding done by 11 or noon. Then we eat lunch generally in the park or we go somewhere fun either on Disney property or back to the hotel and eat lunch. Another option is to arrive early, right most of the roads were things are not busy, eat lunch, and then do fast passes in the afternoon with the lawyers would be too long to wait.

If we’ve been in the park all morning and during lunchtime we often head back to our room, take a nap, and then sometimes go out again to the parks later in the evening. Or we may do activities around the hotel or go to Disney springs.

Now if you are switching to another hotel here are the differences, as you are leaving in the morning you throw everything in your suitcase and you drop your suitcase off with the bell captain. Then you just go to whatever park you are going to visit. Meanwhile, you check in to the new hotel online and give them a call maybe to tell them to send you a text message when your room is available. Rooms will generally become available sometime around three or four.

Around three or four you come back to the new hotel, take your nap, and then go to everything else the same way you did before.

So the biggest difference is that if you like to take a nap between one and three you will have to shift that to a bit later. Otherwise it is very similar to how it would be if you were just staying at the same hotel. Not that big a deal. You do not need to haul your own luggage and suitcases over to the new resort. You just drop it with the bell captain and Disney will carry it there for you. You do not need to physically check out. And if you check in online or by calling to your new resort (or both ways) then your magic bands will be updated as your new room key as soon as The new room is available for you. You might need to drop past the front desk when you come back from the park in order to show them your credit card to verify purchases.

If we’ve been in the park all morning and during lunchtime we often head back to our room, take a nap, and then sometimes go out again to the parks later in the evening. Or we may do activities around the hotel or go to Disney springs.
I don't think anyone said it is NOT doable, but it is a TON of moving without being settled, plus she wants the Deluxe dining plan which means lots of ADRs; with older kids I'd say go for it, however there are several caveats here:
1-first timer to the World-she has zero idea how touring and rushing and planning from FP to ADR will affect stress levels (kids and adults)
2-Deluxe dining plan-likely at least 2 sit down meals a day at a time with shorter park hours-.
3-Age of kids-at this age you simply cannot "shift" things later and if a kid has a melt down, or gets sick or is just tired and wants some sleep or pool time on a resort shift day it makes it 1000x more difficult. Not impossible-especially for seasoned pro's-but really stressful.
4-With that many resort switches it is much more likely there WILL be a glitch in either the check in process/charging, or the DDP. We all know just how reliable the Disney tech is (insert sarcasm :))
5-there is zero guarantee that a room will actually be ready even by 3 or 4-what if it's not ready until 7? Have had that happen to me! Have also had to wait and wait and call again and wait for luggage to be brought upon resort change. It is why I move my bags myself, including bringing cold stuff to new resort and having bell services keep it there.

I LOVE split stays and haven't stayed on property longer than 4 or 5 days without doing a split. But her plan is ambitious even for me-and my kids are much older! I'd really hate for her to be all excited for a stay and then be so stressed unable to actually enjoy the experience :)

I LOVE split stays and haven't stayed on property longer than 4 or 5 days without doing a split. But her plan is ambitious even for me-and my kids are much older! I'd really hate for her to be all excited for a stay and then be so stressed unable to actually enjoy the experience :)

I agree that it does take a little more planning regimentation and stress to move around like that. And the most important thing is to have a nice happy vacation. So those things should be taken into account, And maybe you should consider putting out one of the resorts.

We plan on leaving our room super early (around 6am) for rope drop, the morning of our resort switch.

Is it possible to call bell services to pick up our luggage for the swap without us being there? We don’t want to have to wake up earlier than we have to, to drop our luggage off at bell services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter