The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

We will be leaving Sunday for DGC. We have a 2 bedroom. Does anyone know if they have a Keurig for the coffee makers or just standard coffee makers? Thank you.

We will be leaving Sunday for DGC. We have a 2 bedroom. Does anyone know if they have a Keurig for the coffee makers or just standard coffee makers? Thank you.

All DVC accommodations have the drip coffee makers. 12 cup - flat bottom filter.

Does anyone have any recent photos of a studio? Have they been renovated like the hotel room?

Does anyone have any recent photos of a studio? Have they been renovated like the hotel room?
No photos, but the VGC renovation is essentially "soft goods" only.
Beds and sofa-beds are new, other furniture remain the same.
New carpet and drapes, which match the GCH renovation.
Bathroom/vanity areas are unchanged (other than carpet).

They don't look exactly like the hotel rooms. As far as I remember, the hotel rooms have a new citrus tree painted (or wallpapered) on the wall, and the DVC studios don't have that.

I found all the good threads here for 1BR by searching for 6502! Thanks @Nonsuch

So the week we are there PxP is still under construction and WOC is not playing until our final night - and we will be seeing WOC that night. Wondering how the theme park views might be less worthwhile than normal? We are in a 1BR. Should we go for end units like 4514 or 5514? Is there a good place to see photos from those rooms?

:wizard:

Another question. We will be checking in early like around 9AM. We will have a 3 year old and want to get to the room as soon as we can. I get that they cannot guarantee anything but what should we expect? A text when the room is ready for us? By 3PM at the latest? Earlier is how likely on average?

I am going to pay attention to the responses you get to both those questions! We’ve had room requests in for months for our 2 bedroom, but I didn’t think about how construction might make those requests less ideal. And we’d also love to at least check in early on our first day-we’llbe Coming from a vrbo in Balboa Island.

Of all our different trips, it has varied. We have arrived by 1pm and had our rooms ready, and other times have had to wait until 4pm. We have noticed, though, that the 1-bedrooms seem to be given to us sooner than the studios or dedicated 2 bedrooms. But we have never been able to get anything before noon.

I am going to pay attention to the responses you get to both those questions! We’ve had room requests in for months for our 2 bedroom, but I didn’t think about how construction might make those requests less ideal. And we’d also love to at least check in early on our first day-we’llbe Coming from a vrbo in Balboa Island.
Oh, so in addition to hanging out at the WOC dessert party we are going to be neighbors too? If I see a large group at GCV with kids that are arguing I think I will know who that is! :rolleyes1

Another question. We will be checking in early like around 9AM. We will have a 3 year old and want to get to the room as soon as we can. I get that they cannot guarantee anything but what should we expect? A text when the room is ready for us? By 3PM at the latest? Earlier is how likely on average?

We've stayed at VGC twice since we bought our contract and check in time doesn't seem important to them. Both times we've arrived at the hotel around 8 AM. 1st trip, room was not ready until 1 pm. 2nd trip, room was not ready until almost 5 pm!!!

...So the week we are there PxP is still under construction and WOC is not playing until our final night - and we will be seeing WOC that night. Wondering how the theme park views might be less worthwhile than normal? We are in a 1BR. Should we go for end units like 4514 or 5514? Is there a good place to see photos from those rooms?
The PxP (using your abbreviation) view will be more "interesting" with park lights and sounds (when door is open). 5514 is very quiet, perhaps the most peaceful room in the hotel.

Views from 5514:
inside window:
vgc_5514_window.jpg

balcony looking left:
vgc_5514_left.jpg

balcony looking right:
vgc_5514_right.jpg

balcony looking down:
vgc_5514_down.jpg
...We will have a 3 year old and want to get to the room as soon as we can. I get that they cannot guarantee anything but what should we expect? A text when the room is ready for us? By 3PM at the latest? Earlier is how likely on average?
You will receive a text or phone call (your preference) when your villa is ready.
While checking in, ask for the best phone number to call. When we have needed the room early, I call every hour -- sometimes the room is ready although we never received a text.

We usually stay in a 1BR. The official checkin time for VGC is 4PM (GCH is 3PM) and often that time is missed.
We feel lucky if the villa is available at noon, generally it's close to 4PM. 6PM a few times :sick:

Last December I was in a 1BR 3 floors below the room in nonsuch's post - room 2514. Being lower, my view was mostly trees, and just like the rooms above it, it was very quiet. I only took 1 picture, straight out the main window.

Last edited:
We were unable to get VGC and are using points to stay in the hotel June 25-28. Any suggestions for a first time visitor? What entrance do you use for EMH at DL and at DCA?
Thank you!

We have had luck a couple of times with getting our room early afternoon but it's much more consistent to get it at 4-4:30PM.

As to what to expect, expect that you won't get your room until 4pm. In all of our stays there, I would say that 75% of the time we got our room at 4pm or after. If you get in earlier, consider yourself lucky.

Is there any point then in trying to get over early to check in? We will be staying at balboa island the two nights before-I’d thought if heading over first thing Monday morning to check in. Any thought of whether it increases odds of getting one of my room requests or earlier room availability? Or just as effective to wait til afternoon?

Last edited:
Is there any point then in trying to get over early to check in? We will be staying at balboa island the two nights before-I’d thought if heading over first thing Monday morning to check in. Any thought of whether it increases odds of getting one of my room requests or earlier room availability? Or just as effective to wait til afternoon?

If you're planning on going in the parks you can take advantage of EMH, but otherwise I don't think it makes a difference.

Checking in early can help with room requests. Although the CM will not tell you, the check in form shows your room number. If you don't like the initial assignment, you can request a change. Once checked in (even if it is not ready), your room assignment is essentially "locked" -- preventing guests checking in later from changing your room assignment.

We would often visit relatives in Sherman Oaks prior to VGC stays, and would check in prior to 7AM (depart Sherman Oaks before 6AM to avoid rush hour traffic). We were able to change our room assignment many times when checking in early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!