The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

General question for VGC owners... we are considering adding on at VGC to give us a little more flexibility on dates, room types, etc. when visiting.

As an alternative, we could simply choose to stay at the Disneyland Hotel if/when we don't have enough points.

Once you go VGC, do you not go back to DLH? Or is it nice to switch things up every once in a while?

General question for VGC owners... we are considering adding on at VGC to give us a little more flexibility on dates, room types, etc. when visiting.

As an alternative, we could simply choose to stay at the Disneyland Hotel if/when we don't have enough points.

Once you go VGC, do you not go back to DLH? Or is it nice to switch things up every once in a while?

I have stayed at DLH since buying VGC. It's 2 fairly different experiences and I absolutely adore the Grand but have fond memories at DLH so enjoy staying there too if booking late.

I have stayed at DLH since buying VGC. It's 2 fairly different experiences and I absolutely adore the Grand but have fond memories at DLH so enjoy staying there too if booking late.
Agree with KAT. The DLH is a fine option--if for no other reason than the history behind it--and would be a great option if you run short of points.

We have only ever stayed at DLH once in 2017. We were less than impressed and have no desire to go back. We'd stay offsite at the hyatt or marriott before paying that much for a DLH room again. The amenities were lacking and the quality of the room was disappointing. The bed was the worst we've had in years (sagging). It was clear the price is simply for the brand name and privilege of being onsite.

I have to admit though, we've been timeshare owners for 20 years, so staying in any hotel room is often disappointing compared to the space we're used to. And at VGC, we never stay in studios.

We stayed at DLH last summer and loved it. That stay inspired us to buy DVC, the walkability with our kids sold us. We would predominantly be staying in studios, so a regular DLH room would be comparable.

I just wonder if VGC is that much of a cut above, and once we start there we won't want to stop.

We stayed at DLH last summer and loved it. That stay inspired us to buy DVC, the walkability with our kids sold us. We would predominantly be staying in studios, so a regular DLH room would be comparable.

I just wonder if VGC is that much of a cut above, and once we start there we won't want to stop.
Just don't try a 1BR--you'll be forever spoiled. ;) Based on our room at DLH last summer (and our two stays at VGC in the past couple of years), I'd say they're comparable with the edge going to VGC due to the furnishings and location. Plus, you'd have to pay OOP for DLH which is expensive. Still, in a pinch, DLH is a fine choice. For example, last summer we couldn't cobble together a complete 5-night stay at VGC, so we had one night at DLH. We enjoyed it, but we do prefer VGC. Still, for a night or two, we'd be satisfied with DLH.

I heard they are sending emails for SWGE reservations for guests with resort reservations. Has anyone with a VGC reservation gotten an email?

We own at VGC but would buy DVC at DLH if they sold it-they are both wonderful hotels. Love the retro Disney vibe of the DLH-and the pool at Trader Sam’s!

I have back to back reservations on 2 different contracts coming up. Previously, I have had them linked. Are there any negatives to linking or not linking reservations like that? The lady I spoke with on the SWGE hotline said that if I unlink the reservation I can get 2 slots. I’m pretty sure the only con would be that I will have to check in twice, where if they were linked I would not have to. Is there anything else I’m missing?

I have back to back reservations on 2 different contracts coming up. Previously, I have had them linked. Are there any negatives to linking or not linking reservations like that? The lady I spoke with on the SWGE hotline said that if I unlink the reservation I can get 2 slots. I’m pretty sure the only con would be that I will have to check in twice, where if they were linked I would not have to. Is there anything else I’m missing?

They might make you change rooms. Probably not but it's possible.

Called SWGE line with NO HOLD TIME (yay!)... apparently 90% of DVC members that are staying during the timeframe at VGC are NOT getting emails for some reason. If you call, they will give you the reservation time and they will push the email through to your personal email. Great service and I am so excited!!!!

Called SWGE line with NO HOLD TIME (yay!)... apparently 90% of DVC members that are staying during the timeframe at VGC are NOT getting emails for some reason. If you call, they will give you the reservation time and they will push the email through to your personal email. Great service and I am so excited!!!!
I did the same today, and they were able to switch us to another day/time that worked better for us!

I still like DLH. As limace pointed out, it's retro in a good way, reminds you of how Disneyland when it started. Also, while VGC has the great California Adventure entrance, DLH is convenient to the shops and restaurants, and the pool is a bit better, I think.

Even with linked reservations, you may need to change rooms. VGC is pretty much always booked solid, and it's a matter of room tetris if they're able to actually honor the linked reservation. About two years ago we had an instance where we added a night to our stay. When I called in to DVC, they linked the reservations and assured me everything would be fine. When I checked in at Grand Cal, they again assured me that everything would be fine and we would not have to move rooms. On that last day, I went to confirm again - nope, sorry, didn't matter what everyone else told me, we had to move rooms. We had the kids (including a baby and a special needs kid) packed up for early entry to the parks, so it was a huge pain to go back to the room, pack up, and have them hold our bags, including refrigerated items. We tried to ask for a checkout delay of an hour or so but they wouldn't even give us that. I called the member hotline and begged for them to help - I was in tears - nothing they could do. It was an absolutely awful experience, and since it was only our second stay, definitely soured me on DVC.

Hi all! I'm tentatively thinking about trying to rent points for a studio next September (2020)...with the small amount of DVC rooms at VGC, is it difficult to rent a studio in that cheaper point time? Any strategies?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!