The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Just got back earlier in the week from a quick 2 night trip to VGC. Been many times before but this time was my first 1 bedroom at VGC. It was amazing and I'm totally spoiled by it. Two bathrooms, showers and beds are much better than in studios. Just thought I would share that if you're able to spring the extra points for the 1 bedroom, it's well worth it. We have a 1 bedroom again in December and I'm even more excited.

Also as of this past Wednesday, the pool bar was still closed. Waaaaaah!

We stayed in 1 bedroom once at VGC before we bought into VGC (it was all we could snag at 7 months) and it was hard to go back to a studio. It was during Christmas time so we had the kids bake cookies and bring them down to the lobby for Santa. Probably my favorite DVC memory. I would love to always book a one bed there but those point charts are steep for a 1 bed in the summer, they're more reasonable early December.

Bummed to hear that the pool bar still isn't open, we've got a 5 day stay at the end of July and were really looking forward to it being open.

General question for VGC owners... we are considering adding on at VGC to give us a little more flexibility on dates, room types, etc. when visiting.

As an alternative, we could simply choose to stay at the Disneyland Hotel if/when we don't have enough points.

Once you go VGC, do you not go back to DLH? Or is it nice to switch things up every once in a while?

Just bought into VGC last month and I agree with others. DLH is a completely different experience at VGC and i would buy DVC at DLH if they had it. I like VGC for the DCA entrance and proximity and I like DLH for the pool and Trader Sam's. I LOVE the fireworks head board in the DLH rooms-that puts the DLH rooms over the VGC rooms in my opinion. Yes DLH is a farther walk but you walk thru DTD which to me is an extension of the parks. Simply put i love both and i think you will still want to stay at DLH after owning VGC.

We are new owners at VGC and will be staying there for the first time in August. I know that a balcony viewing area exists for world of color, which includes the music from the show. How is the view from this? In your opinion, is this location good enough to view it from instead of trying to get a spot down by the lake? We are a mixed age family, 1 year old up to 6 years old, and waiting that late for a show is difficult. Love the idea of having the young kids in bed, and letting the older kids go watch the show. I just want it to be worth it. Thanks!

We are new owners at VGC and will be staying there for the first time in August. I know that a balcony viewing area exists for world of color, which includes the music from the show. How is the view from this? In your opinion, is this location good enough to view it from instead of trying to get a spot down by the lake? We are a mixed age family, 1 year old up to 6 years old, and waiting that late for a show is difficult. Love the idea of having the young kids in bed, and letting the older kids go watch the show. I just want it to be worth it. Thanks!

It's a good view...a bit off to the side so you don't get the full effect of the water projection images. You still have to get there at least 30 minutes ahead, I'd say, to get a spot along the rail. Pro tip: request a DCA/WoC view from your room, there's a chance you could have a great view from your own balcony. Especially as a new owner, try to score some pixie dust!

We are new owners at VGC and will be staying there for the first time in August.
Welcome Home

...I know that a balcony viewing area exists for world of color, which includes the music from the show. How is the view from this? In your opinion, is this location good enough to view it from instead of trying to get a spot down by the lake?...
I must disagree with PP, the view is not very good. I highly recommend seeing WOC from the viewing area inside the park, particularly the first time.
The single showing (usually 10:15PM) can be difficult for young kids, it was much easier when there were 2 (or even 3) showings.

I also do not consider the view very good from the viewing area. If you absolutely aren’t going into the park and want someplace to watch then it’s the place to go but it’s no where near as good as viewing from inside the park IMO.

I was able to snag a studio for the night of my anniversary in October. My wife and I have made it a tradition to dine at the napa Rose chef's table every year (literally every anniversary we've ever had), and this is the first year we're adding on the GCV with the whole experience and we can't wait!

Hoping to buy within a year or two for 1-2 nights in a studio. I'm a local so paying for more points just doesn't make sense.

I highly recommend seeing WOC from the viewing area inside the park, particularly the first time
If you can swing it, I HIGHLY recommend springing for the WoC dessert party (not the dining package). The views and experience are unmatched for WoC and I probably won't watch it any other way now- totally spoiled. I've done it twice this way now.

I'm wondering how busy the pool bar will be since I've read that it'll be open to non-hotel guests which I'm not thrilled about. Anyone can enter the hotel directly from DCA which will make it appealing. GCH has the easiest access to a park as opposed to WDW hotels.

There's a lot of places to get drinks on DCA. I'm sure this will be popular but I'd not worry a lot.

Just got back from a stay in 1502, ground floor 1BR, facing the huge perimeter wall looking toward Paradise Pier Of course, I asked for a higher room but they couldn’t accommodate. The desk agent said there were only three checkouts on our arrival day!

Although it would not be my preference, I was pleasantly surprised by the ground level view. Basically they built a little berm so that the view appears to be of a forest. You really can’t see the (almost never used) walkway on the other side of the berm. When I went to the pool, I noticed they have the same arrangement there.

Two new things:
1. They no longer print the room number on the check in card so that “hack” is gone.
2. The new Craftsman Bar by the pool is beautiful. Lots of seating. A nice addition.
3. There are now six cabanas for rent. Three by the quieter pool near VGC and three near the big pool closest to the main building.

Ok help - we are Florida people but own GC, long story. LOL When we purchased back in '10 it was a deal & fit all the boxes.

I am well versed in all things World learning about DL & DCA. Coming the 1st week of October soooo excited for the new Oogie Boogie party and the decorations for Halloween.

I thought I read somewhere about emailing guest services for specific room requests, is that still available?
Do the units have washer / dryers in them, we booked a 1 bedroom?
We are choosing not to rent a car, forced relaxation as business owners with a toddler that is rare, can we get amazon food delivered? Or are there better options?
I feel so unprepared for this trip , but each day I am reading more and more , helping with that anxiety.
1 thing I find awesome is the maxpass & inclusion of the photo pass. wish we had that here.

Thanks in advance & I can't wait for the welcome home and it being our "real" home. <3

Ok help - we are Florida people but own GC, long story. LOL When we purchased back in '10 it was a deal & fit all the boxes.

I am well versed in all things World learning about DL & DCA. Coming the 1st week of October soooo excited for the new Oogie Boogie party and the decorations for Halloween.

I thought I read somewhere about emailing guest services for specific room requests, is that still available?
We are choosing not to rent a car, forced relaxation as business owners with a toddler that is rare, can we get amazon food delivered? Or are there better options?
I feel so unprepared for this trip , but each day I am reading more and more , helping with that anxiety.
1 thing I find awesome is the maxpass & inclusion of the photo pass. wish we had that here.

Thanks in advance & I can't wait for the welcome home and it being our "real" home. <3
1 bedrooms and bigger have washer and dryer, and 2 bathrooms ! We always use Vons for groceries. Order online and they deliver. You can usually in Google and find discount or free directory code for your 1st order.

And I either online chat or call guest services for room requests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter