The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

thank you
We'll see if this picture (not mine--it was posted on a forum) loads. It helps with room requests. There are others that show the rooms that face the Redwood Trail and the pool as well. Note that this was taken a number of years ago and the trees are taller, blocking more views.

Attachments

• vgc exterior room numbers.jpg
    vgc exterior room numbers.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 42
ok next questions - in our past experience the DVC rooms seem to be the farthest from the lobby. Looking at a map and trying to understand layout. Where is the DVC entrance to DCA in comparison to the Main entrance? I have read that the lines from the DVC entrance on the extra magic mornings are quite long.
Is there any type of transportation that takes you to Disneyland park?

Where is the DVC entrance to DCA in comparison to the Main entrance? I have read that the lines from the DVC entrance on the extra magic mornings are quite long.

The Grand Californian guest entrance is past Storytellers Cafe and Napa Rose.

As for transportation to Disneyland Park, there is none because you are really close to the park entrance. When you exit the Grand Californian, you come out right at Sephora. So you're at the Disneyland Gate side of Downtown Disney. It's not that long of a walk to the gates from there.

ok next questions - in our past experience the DVC rooms seem to be the farthest from the lobby. Looking at a map and trying to understand layout. Where is the DVC entrance to DCA in comparison to the Main entrance? I have read that the lines from the DVC entrance on the extra magic mornings are quite long.

You could take a left once you enter Disney Springs and take the monorail into DL. It would deposit you in Tomorrowland. It's not shorter or quicker to get to the park vs walking but it's an option if you want to ride the monorail.

Hard for me to fathom that All of Cali fits on Disney World. And the Monorail is a ride not a mode of transportation. Have any of you DVC people done the Soarin behind the scenes tour ? Or the bowling / dinner at Splitville?

Yep, DL, CA, and DS are all walkable from VGC (or even DLH or Paradise Pier). It's the beauty of the California experience vice Florida. The line leading into CA from VGC during the early morning can be long, it's true. But, if you're there early enough, they're not bad. Or, you can do what we did once which was go through DS and into the main CA gates where the lines were a bit shorter (more than one place to enter, as well). The monorail is fun to ride but doesn't really work well as a people moving option since walking is generally faster. Now, one thing I do suggest is to approach the monorail as an attraction, as you suggested, and what we did was agree to wait in order to ride in the lead car. We waited 45 minutes, but the thrill of being able to sit in front made the wait worthwhile.

Now, one thing I do suggest is to approach the monorail as an attraction, as you suggested, and what we did was agree to wait in order to ride in the lead car. We waited 45 minutes, but the thrill of being able to sit in front made the wait worthwhile.
As in the very front - nose / driver car? OMG yes! We aren't allowed to do that here anymore. A couple of yrs ago there was a crash & a fatality, it is so sad. They retired the colors of the 2 involved and made a new color.
70days and we are getting very excited.

I thought I read somewhere about emailing guest services for specific room requests, is that still available?
You can email, chat via the DVC website, or call DVC Member Services to add room requests. I checked with the Grand Californian today regarding my upcoming trip, and you can call the hotel directly 10 days before your arrival date to add room requests. Since I've had trouble in the past with DVC-entered room requests making it to the hotel, I decided to do both - called DVC Member services today to add my requests, and I'll call the hotel 10 days before arrival to confirm.

We are choosing not to rent a car, forced relaxation as business owners with a toddler that is rare, can we get amazon food delivered? Or are there better options?
I've used Amazon Prime Now on past trips and am planning to use them again for this trip. Available if you're a current member of Amazon Prime.

There's no delivery charge if your order totals $35 or more. The delivery charge is $5 if your order is under $35.

If you want a 1-hour delivery window instead of the standard 2-hour window, there's a $5 charge. Note this doesn't necessarily mean you will receive your order 1 hour after you place it; it means you choose from various 1-hour windows during which your order will be delivered. If you go with the standard 2-hour delivery window you will select an available 2-hour slot when placing your order.

You can only place your order the day before or the day of delivery. But you can fill your cart via the Prime Now app or the website (primenow.amazon.com) as far in advance as you want. I usually start my order once my travel plans are made and then I add items as I remember them. Items will periodically go out of stock, so it's a good idea to re-check your order a few days to a week before your trip

Have any of you DVC people done the Soarin behind the scenes tour ?
I did the tour a couple years ago, very enjoyable. The following thread has a great post from @Nonsuch with more details about the tour: DVC Soarin tour

Last edited:
The DVC section is actually pretty close to the lobby. You do have to kind of walk around to the other side to get to the DCA entrance, but it is all fairly compact. I've never done DW, but from what I've heard, you are going to find that all of Disneyland Resort is super accessible, especially staying at the Grand Californian. To get to Disneyland from the Grand, you go out to Downtown Disney and turn right. When both parks are open (and it's not first thing in the morning), we like to enter California Adventure from the Grand Californian, walk through DCA and then hop to the Disneyland gate. I'm not sure it's shorter, but it feels like it to me and I like the ambiance of the park better than Downtown Disney. We do the same thing in reverse returning to the hotel (assuming there aren't lines getting into DCA). People say not to use the Grand hotel entrance into DCA first thing in the morning, but honestly when we have, the line feels long, but we have always been in the park before opening time. In fact, we are usually about to Toy Story Midnight Mania by opening time, because a CM will start leading a group down there, and a separate group to Carsland.

You are so close to both parks that you don't need any transportation. It's such a sweet location! Enjoy!!

The DVC section is actually pretty close to the lobby. You do have to kind of walk around to the other side to get to the DCA entrance, but it is all fairly compact. I've never done DW, but from what I've heard, you are going to find that all of Disneyland Resort is super accessible, especially staying at the Grand Californian. To get to Disneyland from the Grand, you go out to Downtown Disney and turn right. When both parks are open (and it's not first thing in the morning), we like to enter California Adventure from the Grand Californian, walk through DCA and then hop to the Disneyland gate. I'm not sure it's shorter, but it feels like it to me and I like the ambiance of the park better than Downtown Disney. We do the same thing in reverse returning to the hotel (assuming there aren't lines getting into DCA). People say not to use the Grand hotel entrance into DCA first thing in the morning, but honestly when we have, the line feels long, but we have always been in the park before opening time. In fact, we are usually about to Toy Story Midnight Mania by opening time, because a CM will start leading a group down there, and a separate group to Carsland.

You are so close to both parks that you don't need any transportation. It's such a sweet location! Enjoy!!
Hopefully this will work. I drew on this map a red line from the VGC wing to the DCA entrance, and in a blue line from the VGC wing to Downtown Disney, where you can access either Disneyland or DCA. Either way, you go through security before entering DCA directly or before entering Downtown Disney. The lobby entrance is where my 2 lines split apart.

Attachments

• grand californian map to DCA and DL.jpg
    grand californian map to DCA and DL.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 53
As in the very front - nose / driver car? OMG yes! We aren't allowed to do that here anymore. A couple of yrs ago there was a crash & a fatality, it is so sad. They retired the colors of the 2 involved and made a new color.
70days and we are getting very excited.
We're normally Worlders, too, given that we live in southwest Virginia. However, we've taken a couple of trips out to the Land in the past couple of years and have immensely enjoyed the experience. Our last trip saw my daughter turning 18, graduating from high school, and our wedding anniversary all rolled into one trip. One of the highlights was that ride in the front or driver's car. She/He sits right there just behind you. It was a hoot. I still have memories of DL back when I was stationed in SoCal--I used to park where CA now sits! My view as a DVC owner and long-time World visitor (couple of dozen trips over the past decade plus) is that the two parks in California are better than any two parks in the World. Now, the World has four parks, obviously, so overall there is more to see and do at the World. However, at WDW you spend so much time in transit, and it requires so much more planning thanks to FPs and dining necessities. At DL, planning is minimal (comparatively), and the experience a lot more intimate in many ways. Want lunch out of the parks? Walk five minutes from the gate of either park and you have numerous places from which to choose at DS. Want to go back to your room for a rest midday? Again, a very short walk. Don't feel like making a reservation for Tortilla Jo's for lunch? No sweat--there'll be a table without much (or any) of a wait. (And they serve very good guacamole table side, by the way!). It's such a different vibe there than in Florida. You'll have a blast!

We are three weeks away from our first visit as new owners and will be having family over for dinner the first night. What are your suggestions for guest parking? I know we get one free vehicle, but I thought I read somewhere that maybe you get two? If not, what lot/structure would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

We are three weeks away from our first visit as new owners and will be having family over for dinner the first night. What are your suggestions for guest parking? I know we get one free vehicle, but I thought I read somewhere that maybe you get two? If not, what lot/structure would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
From the DVC site:
Your guests will need a room key to use GCH self-parking.
Have your guests give your name at the guard gate and drive to front of the hotel, you can meet them to hand off a key (or add their name to your reservation and they can get a key from the front desk)

Do the one bed rooms sleep 5?
Yes. King bed in bedroom. Queen sleeper + pull down 'twin' in living room. We always take the 'twin' (shorter than a real twin) out of the pull down and put it on the floor.
"One-bedroom villas feature 1 king-size bed, 1 queen-size sleeper sofa, 1 pull-down bunk-size bed, 2 bathrooms "

Last edited:
... Have any of you DVC people done the Soarin behind the scenes tour ? Or the bowling / dinner at Splitville?

Curious about DVC Night at Splitsville as well. Seems on offer every Wednesday. I know that it is the location where The House of Blues was. Looks amazing from outside....glass walls, midcentury modern inside...guessing from your handle it’ll be right up your alley!

You are going to have an amazing time at VGC, DL, and DCA!...don’t be surprised if u kick yourself a little for waiting so long to “come home”.

Curious about DVC Night at Splitsville as well. Seems on offer every Wednesday. I know that it is the location where The House of Blues was. Looks amazing from outside....glass walls, midcentury modern inside...guessing from your handle it’ll be right up your alley!

You are going to have an amazing time at VGC, DL, and DCA!...don’t be surprised if u kick yourself a little for waiting so long to “come home”.
Ha Ha Yes we own a bowling center here in Florida and go to the Splitsville here. I am surprised at the HUGE differences.
Down here at 60 days you better be on the phone at 7:01am or your chances for "popular" reservations are gone.
I am 55 days out and Hours aren't posted past Sept 18th and World of color isn't posted past the 28th. Everyone has been helpful, as to relax, DL isn't manic crazy like WDW is. I am excited to go home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter