The Void: Star Wars VR

It should be there for awhile. A Staff member there recently said it would be staying.

@yulilin3 posted this in the SW thread a couple of days ago:
I cannot recommend this experience enough, talked to the people working and they said it's here to stay and they might bring in the lightsaber technology for testing before that goes into Galaxy's edge

Is it space confining? DH is claustrophobic.

My one son visits a local VR place often, so he's fine. The rest of us have never experienced it. For Star Wars, were all interested but nervous of the unknown.

Is this located in the Once Upon a Toy building?

I did this a few weeks ago. The timing others have described seems about right. We waited in line outside probably 15-20 minutes before beginning the customization part, which would not have been a problem had it not been 40 degrees out. But as others have said, the actual game-time is probably about 15 minutes. That being said it's a pretty intense 15 minutes.

I'll note that I have had issues in the past with VR simulations inducing nausea. I used to love Disneyquest, but the clunky, ill-fitting VR helmets they used just messed with my inner ear. Not so the Void's helmets. They fit well and, after a few minutes, you really do forget they are on. You're given a vest, which actually permits you to carry a small computer on your back. Much like the headgear, you pretty much forget you're wearing it after a while. It seemed like somewhat bulky (Stormtrooper) armor.

The game was enjoyable, the VR impressive, and both DH and I came out of it giggling and with the impression that this was pointing to the future of Disney rides.

I'll provide a more spoiler-esque description below
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, after you put on all the gear, they take you to a small room to make certain that the tech is working correctly. When you put down your visor you should see a Tron-like square grid room, and your partners' stormtrooper images. You should also be able to see your own stormtrooper hands and forearms. This last aspect is the only place where I noticed the digital imaging had occasional issues. Your hands could disappear if they weren't held very clearly in front of your face. I'm really not sure how they did this anyways, because we weren't wearing any kind of gloves.

After everyone's suits are hooked up and their avatars showing (there were several minor glitches we experienced during the setting-up process) you're ready to go. The grid disappears and you're inside the equivalent of a Star Wars ship's closet. I'll note that, though you can feel the walls that you see (obviously, because they're actually walls) there's no "texture" to them. There are, on occasion, items in the rooms that you can interact with physically. Anyways, back to the plot:

A door slides open and K-2SO tells you to come along as you're needed. Let me stress: He appears quite real. I am fairly certain they really got Alan Tudyk to voice his lines (or perhaps lifted them from previous recordings). DH touched him, I was kind of afraid to. He takes you into the next room and has you sit down while he explains the mission. A window opens to show the landscape of Mustafar (Vader's lava palace, for those who don't recognize the name).

In our game, there was a timing glitch at this point, and we had to wait a bit for the "transport" to connect up with our cruiser. DH and I were not certain whether the game-handlers (there's apparently always someone in the room with you, even if you don't see them) were actually wanting us to wait while they set things in motion, or whether us figuring how to get out was part of the simulation. But eventually the transport hooked up with our windows and were were able to step out.

Neither DH nor I was prepared for how immersive it would be. The view was 360. You could feel the heat of the lava. You were afraid to step off the "floating platform". Then you enter the empire base. K-2SO admonishes you to blend in. I commented back that it would be hard to blend in as stormtroopers since we didn't have any blasters...and pretty much at that moment I saw a rack of blasters arrayed against a wall. You could pick them up and operate them, which we did.

Of course, that's when things start shooting at you.

When you're hit by something the harness shakes and heats up. You really feel something, though it's obviously not painful. There is not a lot of room to manoeuvre. DH and I were alone, but even we had trouble finding "cover" from time to time. Luckily, the in-game stormtroopers are just as bad at aiming as their movie counterparts.

I'm not going to go into too much detail on the rest. You shoot some guys. The challenges get progressively more difficult. There will be times when teamwork is necessry. In true Disney-ride and Star Wars fashion, you are saved by lucky deus-ex-machina intervention at the last possible moment. It is a shorter exerience than I had hoped, but about as long as I expected.

Someone asked if the rooms were claustrophobic, and I would say no. I would guess that the actual rooms are fairly small, but the VR view is misleading eough to make it feel as though you're in a bigger area.

Anyways, I feel it was definitely worth the $30pp pricetag. I can only hope they expand it and/or make different missions.

The game was enjoyable, the VR impressive, and both DH and I came out of it giggling and with the impression that this was pointing to the future of Disney rides.

You're close. Iger has said that VR doesn't have a place in the parks but rather AR. Disney filed a patent for a lightsaber AR experience that is rumored for SW:GE.

Is it space confining? DH is claustrophobic.

My one son visits a local VR place often, so he's fine. The rest of us have never experienced it. For Star Wars, were all interested but nervous of the unknown.

Is this located in the Once Upon a Toy building?
i mean yes and no. you are going to be wearing a helmet that covers your eyes and ears completely. however, the VR aspect of it tricks you into thinking you are in a larger space. it all depends on how your DH reacts to that sensation.

We are hoping to do this at the end of February. I think it will get expensive. I can't see my DS just doing it once, or even twice.....

We are hoping to do this on 27 Feb. I hope the Void.com adds the later Feb dates so you can pre purchase.

Is it space confining?

I'm fairly claustrophobic and did fine. For point of reference, i can't do mission space because the screen/console is too close to my face and i feel like i can't breathe. I also can't snorkel because of the mask.

When we were gearing up for the void, the visor on my helmet happened to be down so that my eyes were covered immediately, and i did have a moment of panic because the program hadn't started yet, so all i saw was a blue screen. I lifted the visor and was fine. The helmet is just a helmet, and the backpack isn't really restrictive and isn't too heavy (i have major back problems and was fine). When the employees told us to lower the visors, i waited til everyone else had done it, and by the time i lowered mine the VR program was on. It's surprisingly realistic and i did not feel claustrophobic at all.

You do move from room to room, but the rooms have to be big enough to accommodate 4 geared up players, so i was ok with their size. I think the smallest was about the size of a large elevator.

I was super nervous before doing this, but i think it ended up being our favorite experience of our entire last trip.

I'm fairly claustrophobic and did fine. For point of reference, i can't do mission space because the screen/console is too close to my face and i feel like i can't breathe. I also can't snorkel because of the mask.

When we were gearing up for the void, the visor on my helmet happened to be down so that my eyes were covered immediately, and i did have a moment of panic because the program hadn't started yet, so all i saw was a blue screen. I lifted the visor and was fine. The helmet is just a helmet, and the backpack isn't really restrictive and isn't too heavy (i have major back problems and was fine). When the employees told us to lower the visors, i waited til everyone else had done it, and by the time i lowered mine the VR program was on. It's surprisingly realistic and i did not feel claustrophobic at all.

You do move from room to room, but the rooms have to be big enough to accommodate 4 geared up players, so i was ok with their size. I think the smallest was about the size of a large elevator.

I was super nervous before doing this, but i think it ended up being our favorite experience of our entire last trip.

Thank you this helps greatly.

I think my husband will be fine. He can't be locked in to anything. He won't do Star Tours because you are locked into the room. He won't do mission space either. We had to ride the Harry Potter train with the door open because he panicked at the thought of being locked into that small seating area.

This is something my family is thinking about doing on our upcoming trip. However my daughter wears glasses. Has anyone done this or similar type experience with glasses? If so would you recommend someone with glasses doing this experience?

TIA

This is something my family is thinking about doing on our upcoming trip. However my daughter wears glasses. Has anyone done this or similar type experience with glasses? If so would you recommend someone with glasses doing this experience?

TIA
Me and my daughter have glasses and we did it last week and it was fine, it wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Thanks so much to those who have shared information on their experiences. It is very helpful!
Is this so intense that it could be scary to a 10 year old who loves star wars? I know the age required is 10 and up, but we have never done VR before and are unsure what to expect. Thanks!

Is this so intense that it could be scary to a 10 year old who loves star wars? I know the age required is 10 and up, but we have never done VR before and are unsure what to expect. Thanks!

He/she will be fine.

I heard there’s no place to store your things. Is this true? No lockers or cubbies for valuables?

No official place but they let you leave your stuff in a corner of the room

Hi there- does anyone know if the Secrets of the Empire VR experience will still be running at Disney Springs beyond Feb 14? if you go the the vendor website (The Void) they don't have any ticket options beyond then
Thanks for any insight

Cheers
Martin

Hi there- does anyone know if the Secrets of the Empire VR experience will still be running at Disney Springs beyond Feb 14? if you go the the vendor website (The Void) they don't have any ticket options beyond then
Thanks for any insight

Cheers
Martin
Yes, it’s here to stay. *I’ve merged you to the current SW VR thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter