The Walt Disney Family Museum

If anyone visits the new Snow White exhibit, please report. I have a trip planned for January and I'm super excited to see this!

I'm driving up there from LA this weekend for the D23 event so I'll post about it when I get back. Looking forward to my first visit there :cool1:

I am attending the presentation by Disney historian J.B. Kaufman on the film and exhibit this weekend and will write an article about it for The DISUnplugged Disney Blog.

Michael Bowling

I was at the museum last week. So much to see, I glanced at the area of Snow White, but since I have never been I would not know what was changed.
The exciting part was Walt's Daughter , Dorothy was there.

I was at the museum last week. So much to see, I glanced at the area of Snow White, but since I have never been I would not know what was changed.
The exciting part was Walt's Daughter , Dorothy was there.

I'm guessing you meant Diane. She is there quite often, as it was she, her husband (Ron Miller), and children are the ones who founded the museum.

Has anyone been in the last couple of months? I fly in to San Fran on Saturday, and we are planning to visit the museum on Sunday. Anyone have lunch suggestions in the area? I know there is a food counter in the museum. How is the food at it?

Thanks!

It's San Francisco, so you'll have plenty of options nearby. I heard that it might be possible to get into the Lucasfilm Dining Commons with the right connections, but that may just be a rumor. They used to have a coffee place at Lucasfilm, but I think it closed and wouldn't have been open on weekends.

Still - one can still go there and check out the Yoda statue.

The cafe at the museum is nothing special. Sandwiches and salads are pre-made. The best I can say about them is they are food. The chili is good, but nothing special.

The Presidio Social Club can be on the costly side and the portions small depending upon what you order, but this is a favorite destination for many.

The Transit Cafe near the museum is a better alternative for salads, sandwiches and pizza. Their website indicates they are closed on weekends. This must be new because I have eaten there on weekends in the past.

http://www.presidio.gov/visit/Pages/transit-cafe-at-the-presidio.aspx

I have heard good things about the burgers at The Presidio Bowling Alley. I plan to eat there the next time I am at the museum.

http://presidiobowl.com/

Below is a link to a list of all S.F. Presidio restaurants.

http://www.presidio.gov/about/Pages/tenant-directory.aspx?View={7349EE11-5810-4D96-AA86-AF72F5318E9F}&FilterField1=Tenant_x0020_Category&FilterValue1=296&FilterOp1=In&FilterLookupId1=1&FilterData1=0,07420232-aec3-491e-a6b2-75ab3e4ba5fc

I hope this is helpful. Perhaps I'll see you at the museum!

Michael Bowling

I love the bowling alley, and I don't even bowl. If you are going to the museum at opening time, the Presidio Bowl is a good place for breakfast. I moved away from San Francisco nearly two years ago, but my husband and I used to eat breakfast at Presidio Bowl before my volunteer shifts at the Disney Museum. I was entertained by the bowlers who would get so excited about it so early in the morning.

The cafe at the museum is more for light eating, but I would recommend a brief stop there to refresh yourself after the tribute to Walt at the end of the galleries. While it is touching you will feel the grief of those who attended the funeral of a man whom you have never met but will feel like you know after you have made it through all of the galleries in the museum. I came from a family of fourth-generation caterers and always left that museum understanding what I had not understood while I was growing up. That being why our guests always ate more at funerals than at weddings.

Special now from Travelzoo. Half off adult admission ($10 each) valid through July 31, 2013 and only good for regular admission. Not sure if they'll let you tack on for the special programs. Vouchers also have to be redeemed in person and times can't be reserved online as with regular admission.

http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/San-Francisco/Other/38563

Just made the visit. I noted I got half off from Travelzoo. When we got there, I noticed a stack of the vouchers.

I thought the museum started a bit slow, but started getting more interesting as it progressed. I think it was by design. Many of the more interactive exhibits are further along, while the ones near the beginning are more passive.

Some have noted that younger kids may not like it. Our kid loved it - especially all the Mickey Mouse merchandise. He went crazy of the replica of Disneyland.

My husband and I were just there in February for one day. Awsome place. We live in Henderson NV so won't get back there soon, except I am going on a California Costal cruise in April and we will be docked in SF for 24 hours, 1pm on Sunday to 1pm on Monday. I would like to go spend a couple more hours at the museum. Does anyone know the best way to travel from the the cruise ship piers to the museum. I think I can take the MUNI bus but schedule said it would take an hour each way. That's probably too long. If taxi would be best, what would a reasonable fare be. Thanks for any help with this.

That's amazing that it takes a whole hour on the bus! It's only about 4 miles away! :confused3

Looks like cabfare would range from $16-$30 depending on traffic.

Hi

I noticed you've posted that parking is free. We are thinking of visiting on route to Salinas. Can you tell me if there are any issues with the parking? Is it often full? Do we/can we prebook it?

Thanks

Planning on visiting this museum for the first time this November. Subscribing.

Hi

I noticed you've posted that parking is free. We are thinking of visiting on route to Salinas. Can you tell me if there are any issues with the parking? Is it often full? Do we/can we prebook it?

Thanks

There is plenty of parking across the street from the museum. However, the Presidio now charges a fee for parking in this area.

I just returned from visiting the museum. I have been wanting to
since it opened in 2009....and I finally went. I love love loved it!!!!
Beautiful view of bridge at one point in the walking area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!