The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

How did I get so far behind again???

Ellen- Your Summers are always so much fun! I knew exactly what you meant with "babies" and even though the commitment is huge, I think it's worth it. Years ago Buddy raised dairy replacements and could not afford yearlings, so he bought newborns. I can still see Daniel at 4 years old getting his first lesson in feeding. He did not pay attention to the very important instruction of how to hold the bottle, the calf butted him and he went flying backwards buns first into a bucket! LOL! Buddy still laughs so hard he cries when he tells that story. (SOmeday I'll share the "Dan and every electric fence he met" stories. Enjoy the rodeos! I love the barrel racers!

PIO- Cousins! UGH! WE all have "that one" and like you , I have come to avoid mine whenever possible.
The lemon cake was to die for! I have no idea what was in it to make it so yummy, but oh my goodness, I would go back just for that and a melon martini.

Allison- Fried meatloaf! My Mom used to do that with her leftover meatloaf, and now I want some!

Poohsmate- I am so glad you are safe!! Tornadoes, even the threat of tornados are terrifying! How long does you "season" run?

Kimmar- I love ribs. Are yours beef or pork? I have never been brave enough to tackle beef ribs.

Michelle- I think your Summer sounds wonderful! I can picture my DH sprawled on a recliner as happy as a clam!

I made a buffalo chicken flatbread with Greek yogurt ranch dressing. This is my first week using the Plated subscription.[/Q

Hi there! Is Plated similar to a Blue APron or Hello Fresh subscription? My DD has been using Blue Apron for quite some time, and her cooking technique has become excellent!

So I have a few days in a row off and am going through the house and yard to get a few things done that have piled up. I am not sure what dinner tonight will be. I was exhausted last night and Buddy made the mistake of raising his voice. If I don't cool off he is getting eggs. If I do, I will pull out sandwich fixings or grilled chicken and salad. Last night was the wrong night to get snippy worth me....my window wash that promised no streaks or spots left my wondows both streaky and spotty adn I have to do them all over again by hand.

Good morning everyone, I have no idea how I get so far behind on here every week. :wave:

We are super busy and I swear I have no idea why? Work is work and pretty active right now, and then we come home work out and have dinner, clean up and then off to bed, I have no idea where the day goes?

Tonight for dinner is a huge salad.

Make it a great day everyone.

....you could use either one, but we happen to like pork ribs.....

I have never been brave enough to tackle beef ribs.

Whenever I cook a standing rib roast, I put the ribs in a baggie and toss them in the freezer. When we have enough saved up I coat them in a rub and cook them on the grill since they're mostly cooked they don't take very long. Totally easy, never made beef ribs from raw before. Pork ribs sound good, but Fran prefers beef.

.....WHAAAAAAAT???!?!?!?! :eek:

We are having Turkey Egg Foo Young and pork chow mein for dinner tonight.

Stupid autocorrect!

Whenever I cook a standing rib roast, I put the ribs in a baggie and toss them in the freezer. When we have enough saved up I coat them in a rub and cook them on the grill since they're mostly cooked they don't take very long.....
....what a great idea!

Brie Grilled Cheese with Fig Compote tonight. Was glad I made a much smaller kitchen mess with this recipe.

@Nancyg56 Plated is similar to Blue Apron and the other meal subs. I have tried BA before but I found portions to be generally small and I liked less of the recipes. Plated has been very tasty thus far!

I don't know where the time goes anymore!

Been meaning to check in on the Dis all week for longer than 3 seconds. It's just been impossible this week. :faint:

Kimmar- I love ribs. Are yours beef or pork? I have never been brave enough to tackle beef ribs....
....actually, I just made braised beef short ribs Saturday night, with polenta, and they turned out AWESOME!

[I can post the recipe, if you'd like...]

Last edited:
....I'd have to find a GF version of dumplings.....don't know how that'd turn out....:scared:

....I'd have to find a GF version of dumplings.....don't know how that'd turn out....:scared:

Actually I make my dumplings with Bisquick and I bought a new box while grocery shopping yesterday and noticed that they have gluten free Bisquick. Do you know if cream of chicken soup is gluten free?

Brandi makes them from scratch but I do an EZ version.

2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 cup milk
1 cup frozen veggies (green beans, corn & carrots)
1 cup chopped chicken (I mostly use turkey)
Chicken broth as needed
1 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup milk

Heat first five ingredients until bubbling. Mix Bisquick and milk in a separate bowl. Drop dumpling mixture into liquid in teaspoon sized dropfuls. I usually get nine. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.

This makes three bowls with three dumplings each. Two for dinner and one for leftovers.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks Alison! Actually, I think I have GF Bisquick in the cupboard! And, I've purchased GF cream of chicken soup in the past [ I think, from Whole Foods ].....sounds like a great wintery comfort-food type of dinner.....

Actually I make my dumplings with Bisquick and I bought a new box while grocery shopping yesterday and noticed that they have gluten free Bisquick. Do you know if cream of chicken soup is gluten free?

Brand makes them from scratch but I do an EZ version.

2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 cup milk
1 cup frozen veggies (green beans, corn & carrots)
1 cup chopped chicken (I mostly use turkey)
Chicken broth as needed
1 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup milk

Heat first five ingredients until bubbling. Mix Bisquick and milk in a separate bowl. Drop dumpling mixture into liquid in teaspoon sized dropfuls. I usually get nine. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.

This makes three bowls with three dumplings each. Two for dinner and one for leftovers.

Ahhhhh Chicken and dumplings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM!

Thursday evening and it's freezing here. Well......cold by my standard. It's 50 F right now and we're heading a low somewhere in the 40's tonight. It's also raining. That kind of miserable drizzle (aka mizzle) that only Melbourne knows how to do. So, cold and wet. And whilst there is supposed to be sunshine patches this weekend, our temperature is going to be high of 50's and lows in the 30's. That's cold by Melbourne standards.

Did I mention I was cold? :rotfl2:

In any case. Melbourne is putting on a winter solstice festival this weekend. I think I'll be out in the cold tomorrow night.....looking for photography opportunities.

WFDT? It's Thursday night and we had one of those music lessons for the boy. It's easier to stop off at the local ramen noodle shop and grab a bowl to eat rather than cook.

Hope you're all well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts