• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Widow, the Spinster, and the Missus take on Disneyland - A little OT Interlude in Napa Part 2 4/30

For those of you who have followed along in the past, you'll know that my previous reports centered on the adventures of me and my wife, with whom I shared 26+ years of my life. Sadly she passed away earlier this year after a long struggle with many injuries, mostly internal.
:hug:
So this brings us to our first adventure. If you've read some of my past reports, you might know that Fran and I were lucky to have a generous friend who is a member of Club 33. He prefers to remain anonymous, let's call him Bob.
Hey, I know Bob! He's awesome! Love that guy.

She also got Billion dollar bacon, which was lacquered with maple syrup. I realized that I think I like my bacon regular and not billions.
I am always willing to try.

On our way to ride Pirates, we saw Jack Sparrow.
I'm still sad that was closed during our trip.

Jill and I had plans to do things the next day, like go to hazardous waste recycling and replace my broken taillight so we didn’t want to be out too late.
Wow, sounds like a party!

This painting by Shag was being offered up to Club members by RSP (Random Selection Process, basically a raffle) for only $22,000.00 for the winner.
Uh huh. This is not a world with which I am familiar.

There was also a special entree that was not listed and we all ended up ordering it, Rib Eye steak, who cares how it was prepared?
This sounds like the correct choice!

But then that left us with a dilemma, we needed to tip our server, but Jill and I had been counting on putting the tip on our credit cards. Neither one of us had much cash, if any.
Ok, one of you stay here while I find an ATM!

For those of you who do not know this yet, Jill and I are planning a trip to Egypt. She booked the trip way back in 2022 as a birthday present for herself. She was just planning on going solo, and then Fran passed away. I was talking about needing something to look forward to and so she just put it out there, “Would you like to come to Egypt with me?”
This just sounds amazing.

Our last day of the trip to Egypt is very long. It starts with a 7AM plane out of Cairo with a layover in London and arriving in Denver at about 4:30PM. Waiting in a 45 minute+ line after all that will not be pleasant.
Except that. That does not sound amazing. :faint:

Are you following all of this?
Nope. :rotfl2:

One of the things that Fran left me with plenty of, is what we called, “Big Meats”. For the last month, I’ve been having “Big Meat” Dinner parties. I invite over some friends and make a Prime Rib, a Turkey, a Ham….not all on the same night, but one for each group of friends.
I could totally get on board with Big Meats!

Well Marc also wears the same size a she did, so we spent about an hour of him looking through all her clothes that would have otherwise been donated, and wouldn’t you know? He took nearly all four boxes of shirts!
Hey, that worked out well!

I arrived in greater Palm Springs just in time to catch a 12:30 showing of Oppenheimer. What do you do when it’s that hot out? Sit in an air-conditioned movie theater for three hours!
How was the movie? I haven't seen it yet.

The pastries on offer were similar to grocery store pastries cut into pieces, and everything was just under par for what I expect at an Embassy Suites.
That stinks. Their spread is usually so good.

We got it all fixed and I was done and in possession of my new PASSID before noon!
I'm glad that worked out and you didn't get detained!

I had decided waiting in that line to get back over the border, that I was definitely going to Anaheim today! After that terrifying experience I needed some drinks with my friends!
::yes::

The previous evening we had asked Anita if they were interested in seeing it with us. Her answers clearly indicated that she was not a Marvel fan, had no knowledge of what we were talking about, and would not at all enjoy a Musical based on the Marvel Universe.
So no, then.

How quickly can you condense the Marvel universe into a 30 minute musical?
I dunno, I never tried.

I have soooo much to catch up on, but I have to start somewhere, so here we go!

x23DL0617DLR04.jpg
This looks so pretty!

Even the Club’s Mascot Alfred was into the Tiki holiday.

x23DL0617DLR07.jpg
He doesn't look too thrilled here!
As part of the Tiki celebration there was a special mug designed by Shag.

This is a really cute mug!

Jenny ordered the Sungold Tomato Soup, Curried Chicken, Lemongrass and Cilantro

x23DL0617DLR19.jpg
Yum, I would be ordering this one!
Jill and I each got the Seared Romaine Salad, Parmigiano Reggiano and Roasted Garlic Caesar Dressing. It was a delicious salad!

x23DL0617DLR18.jpg
I don't think I've had a seared salad before!

I had the Manjari Dark Chocolate Layer Cake, Mascarpone Chantilly and Summer Cherries. It was absolutely to die for!

x23DL0617DLR21.jpg
I would be having this one for sure!

More food comments!
This whole meal looks delish! I love that you are getting to use your disney dishes!

😍😍😍
Well Marc also wears the same size a she did, so we spent about an hour of him looking through all her clothes that would have otherwise been donated, and wouldn’t you know? He took nearly all four boxes of shirts!
Well didn't that work out well!
The signage was poor and before I knew it, I was on my way to Mexico, literally going through the border.
After that terrifying experience I needed some drinks with my friends!
I still can't believe this! I'm SO glad it all worked out, and you def needed drinks!!
Jill enjoyed the winner winner chicken dinner!

JillLunch_qP211f1iGLWiBPBBrDuRHk.jpg
there's something missing here!
Carthay and met up with Diana and Marc. I ordered my normal Vodka Gibson Up. Jill and Anita got Pineapple Daiquiris, and Marc got an iced tea.

x23DL0803aPS04.jpg
Those Carthay drinks look great!
I would totally like this also!
Vietnamese Twice-cooked Beef Lettuce Wraps with Pineapple-Mint Salsa. These were also really good and I ended up eating most of them.

x23DL0803aPS06.jpg
This one I know is good!
And of course we got the Jackson Five, “I want you back.”
LOL that song seems to love you!

Now we are talking! this looks like a great breakfast!
the bacon and pancakes look great1

thanks for sharing those, they are too cute!

These lockers are so cool
Maria loved them!

Still works out to 1 laptop/year. Even considering you both each had your own, that's still one new laptop every other year!
That sounds about right. There was a period when my lap tops used to keep either destroying themselves or
What? Is this possible?

;)
Of course it is! Mark does it all the time!
Thanks for the reminder! I read this and immediately applied for Nexus. Wait times are a year, but...
Hopefully you can get to start going places again.
We'll see how soon I can get in. Like you, I think if I venture afar, I'll get it more quickly.
And you can speed up the process....
Oh! The Anabella was where I first stayed on my first visit to see you.
And Jill's as well.
:laughing: Can you now?
I think if the American Indians gave me a name it would be "Drinks like fishes" :laughing:
All of it looks good, but that ham, especially. Yum!
I've become pretty adept at cooking hams. Too bad I don't care for them all that much. I mean I eat them and all, but just not my favorite thing. Fran loved them and I would cook them 3 to 4 times per year, cause that's what she wanted.
Real whipped cream??
Well, no. I was being lazy and used the stuff in the can. But I can make real whipped cream if I want to.
Score for him. :)
How was it?
It was pretty engaging. I wished that I had done a little research before going in. I would have liked to know more about him going into the movie. There were two different storylines going on throughout and it took me a little bit to understand what was going on, but when the movie ended, I did realize that I had understood it just fine.
mmm... Love a good Cobb salad.
This was a very good one!
If it's too hot for you, I'm pretty sure a Canadian would burst into flames.
Yes. Palm Desert/Springs is a very different kind of hot. I had forgotten what it was like.
But glad it was cooked well.
Yes, the only complaint that I could have had about that breakfast was that I am spoiled.
:scared: I've done that. Except it was a wrong turn on a bridge in Canada and no way off until the US.
But at least in the US you aren't as likely to be thrown in jail....well I'm going to shut up now because the soap box I was about to climb onto might cause a problem.... :laughing:
Does that mean you have your Global Entry? Or is that something else?
Yes, the PASSID is your Global Entry number.
Whoa! Want!
Not sure if Jill had a picture or not.
You can set it to avoid toll roads if you want.
I thought I had set it. Maybe you have to redo it when you get a new phone. I got one in April, so maybe I didn't set it for no tolls.....
mmmm... that was sooo good. :cloud9:
::yes:: I just had it again last week!
I'd probably not want the beans, but the rest sounds good.
I like beans, they are good protein.
Don't remember, huh? Those drinks must've been good!
That and I was pretty much punch drunk from driving all that way.....
Cold? You were just saying it was over 110 degrees! How cold was it???
Well it was 110 degrees in the desert. In Anaheim after the sun went down, it was cold enough that I didn't want to sit outside in the breeze.
Pretty rare to see pancakes at buffets
And even more rare for them to taste good!
I'd probably do as well or worse than you at knowing them.
And I've just followed the movies, you have to evidently have read the comic books to know these folks.

What an exciting destination! Can't wait to hear about that trip!
It's less than 50 days now! It's going to be quite the adventure.
Love, love, love your plates!
Thanks! I love getting the chance to use them again! :goodvibes
Scary trip to the appointment but glad it went well. I didn't know that you needed proof of income. I'm going to have to figure out how to find proof!

Yes! I brought bank statements. My tenants mostly pay me with Zelle, so it showed their name and payments all right in and around the 1st of the month.

Hi
I found your report and I am really enjoying reading along. I’m so sorry for your loss! ❤️
:welcome:

Welcome Caroline, I'm glad to have you hear!
I know you have chimed in a few times on
my WDW reports!
Yes! I believe last fall I was looking for strategies for Genie+ for our trip we were supposed to take back in April. Your report was very helpful for me to understand how to use it in Florida.
I have met Jill in 2019 on our epic trip at the California Grill brunch. It was a wonderful brunch! I wish that would come back!
I wish it would too! I've never experienced it!
I love to hear about all your travels and especially DL since it has been years since I have been!
For now that's the only place I can visit, only because I have so many other exciting travels planned, we can't get to WDW until April 2024.

Hey, I know Bob! He's awesome! Love that guy.
:laughing:
I am always willing to try.
It's certainly worth trying!
I'm still sad that was closed during our trip.
Means you need to come back!
Wow, sounds like a party!
:lmao:
Uh huh. This is not a world with which I am familiar.
Actually me neither.
This sounds like the correct choice!
Ok, one of you stay here while I find an ATM!
Except the ATM was super far away and none of us could run at that point.
This just sounds amazing.
I hope so.
Except that. That does not sound amazing. :faint:
No, that does not.
Wise guy.
I could totally get on board with Big Meats!
I can see that.
Hey, that worked out well!
Yes it did. ::yes::
How was the movie? I haven't seen it yet.
I thought it was pretty good. Once I figured out the two storylines it made more sense.
That stinks. Their spread is usually so good.
This was the worst Embassy Suites Spread I've ever seen. You're right usually it's excellent.
I'm glad that worked out and you didn't get detained!
Me too! For sure!
So no, then.
Yeah, it was pretty clear she didn't know Marvel from anything.
I dunno, I never tried.

Watch and see.....

I have soooo much to catch up on, but I have to start somewhere, so here we go!
Well you're lucky I was busy for a while and didn't have a chance to update! You're caught up until about 15-20 minutes.
This looks so pretty!
It was a very nice display.
He doesn't look too thrilled here!
He never does.
This is a really cute mug!
It sure is!
Yum, I would be ordering this one!
I might have, but the others sounded so much better.
I don't think I've had a seared salad before!
It's been kind of a thing for a while. We made it at the Napa Rose cooking school in 2009
I would be having this one for sure!
I wish it was still on the menu!
More food comments!
This whole meal looks delish! I love that you are getting to use your disney dishes!
Me too! I have so many sets, I love to use them!
Well didn't that work out well!
Yup! A whole new wardrobe in one day!
I still can't believe this! I'm SO glad it all worked out, and you def needed drinks!!
Me too! :thumbsup2
there's something missing here!
She orders hers with double mash, no beans. I like the beans.
Those Carthay drinks look great!
I would totally like this also!
I would have suggested it, but not as easy to share. And someone would not have been able to steal all the lettuce.
This one I know is good!
LOL that song seems to love you!
I know I get it more often than not.
Now we are talking! this looks like a great breakfast!
It was 1000% better!
the bacon and pancakes look great1
Not something you can always say about a buffet.
thanks for sharing those, they are too cute!
Like I said I like the obscure stuff.
Maria loved them!

She must read the comic books.

We left off where I had made one heckuva long drive, met up with friends, and stayed over in Jill’s cushy room at the Westin. We were in DCA going on some rides before Rogers: The Musical and had just finished Webslingers. We still had some time to kill before the line up time, so we went on Guardians of the Galaxy. I’m pretty sure we got “Born to Be Wild” this time.

x23DL0804DLR10.jpg

With yet even more time kill we decided to ride Monsters Inc. since neither of us had been on it in quite a long time.

x23DL0804DLR11.jpg

x23DL0804DLR12.jpg

x23DL0804DLR13.jpg

x23DL0804DLR14.jpg

x23DL0804DLR15.jpg

x23DL0804DLR16.jpg

x23DL0804DLR17.jpg

After that ride, it was time to go get in line for Rogers: The Musical. We didn’t have to wait too very long and soon they were letting us sit down in the air conditioned seats. It wasn’t that hot out yet, but it wasn’t cool either.

x23DL0804DLR18.jpg

I had no idea what to expect from Rogers: The Musical. I’d heard mixed reviews some said that it was “OK, I’ve seen it and I don’t need to see it again.” But I hadn’t heard anything really amazing about it. It did have all the pizazz that you would expect from a Disney musical. Dance numbers, and great sets.

x23DL0804DLR19.jpg

x23DL0804DLR20.jpg

x23DL0804DLR21.jpg

x23DL0804DLR22.jpg

It follows the Captain America: The First Avenger story. Steve Rogers can’t get into any branch of service, and he sings a soulful ballad about it.

x23DL0804DLR23.jpg

And then they convince him to try the serum.

x23DL0804DLR24.jpg

And then most of you know the rest of the story….

x23DL0804DLR25.jpg

x23DL0804DLR26.jpg

x23DL0804DLR27.jpg

x23DL0804DLR28.jpg

x23DL0804DLR29.jpg

Eventually the Cap ends up on an ill-fated plane that leaves him stranded for years until he is discovered.

x23DL0804DLR30.jpg

Attempting to allow Steve Rogers to believe that time has not passed, Nick Fury disguises the hospital room as if it is still the 1940’s. BTW, in the production that I saw, Nick Fury’s character was the best part of the show.

x23DL0804DLR31.jpg

Nick Fury introduces the other Avengers.

x23DL0804DLR32.jpg

In about 60 seconds, the Avengers team up to save, New York, Wakanda, and the Planet.

x23DL0804DLR33.jpg

x23DL0804DLR34.jpg

And then the two Steve Rogers have a heart to heart.

x23DL0804DLR35.jpg

And he goes back to spend the rest of his life with Peggy.

x23DL0804DLR36.jpg

And they dance to “It’s been a Long, Long, Time.”

x23DL0804DLR37.jpg

And the cast takes their curtain call…

x23DL0804DLR38.jpg

After the show, Jill and I were feeling a little bit hungry so we decided to split a corn dog from the Corn Dog Castle. It was just enough for the little bit of hunger we were both experiencing.

x23DL0804DLR39.jpg

This was back when the Lottery was over 1.5 billion dollars so we went by the Wonderland Liquor store on Anaheim, to get our lottery tickets. Spoiler alert: we didn’t win.

We went back to the room to take a break. The day before Jill had picked up this S’mores macaron for us to split. It was super good, but I don’t think that either of us could have eaten a whole one. It was just too sweet.

x23DL0804DLR40.jpg

I think I’ll wrap this up here, as we chill out in the room playing around on our tablets and watching Triple D.

That sounds about right. There was a period when my lap tops used to keep either destroying themselves
Rise of the machines??
Hopefully you can get to start going places again.
That'd be nice. :)
And you can speed up the process....
I have to get past the first hurdle, first.
I think if the American Indians gave me a name it would be "Drinks like fishes" :laughing:
:lmao:
I've become pretty adept at cooking hams. Too bad I don't care for them all that much. I mean I eat them and all, but just not my favorite thing. Fran loved them and I would cook them 3 to 4 times per year, cause that's what she wanted.
I love ham. I'll have your share. Just to help out.
It was pretty engaging. I wished that I had done a little research before going in. I would have liked to know more about him going into the movie. There were two different storylines going on throughout and it took me a little bit to understand what was going on, but when the movie ended, I did realize that I had understood it just fine.
Thanks. I haven't seen it yet, nor the Barbie movie. I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out.
Yes. Palm Desert/Springs is a very different kind of hot. I had forgotten what it was like.
Burst into flames hot.
Yes, the only complaint that I could have had about that breakfast was that I am spoiled.
But at least in the US you aren't as likely to be thrown in jail....well I'm going to shut up now because the soap box I was about to climb onto might cause a problem.... :laughing:
:rolleyes1:
Yes, the PASSID is your Global Entry number.
Ah!
I thought I had set it. Maybe you have to redo it when you get a new phone. I got one in April, so maybe I didn't set it for no tolls.....
I think you might have to set it every time?
That and I was pretty much punch drunk from driving all that way.....
Driving tired is another kind of tired. I get that.
Well it was 110 degrees in the desert. In Anaheim after the sun went down, it was cold enough that I didn't want to sit outside in the breeze.
Here it was 97 today. Hotter than a lot of places well to the south of us.
And even more rare for them to taste good!

Rogers: The Musical
1693711316663.png
we decided to ride Monsters Inc.
I don't remember... I'm not sure if I've been on this ride?
After that ride, it was time to go get in line for Rogers: The Musical.
1693711358221.png
I had no idea what to expect from Rogers: The Musical.
1693711379926.png
Stark Club, huh?
Rogers can’t get into any branch of service, and he sings a soulful ballad about it.
1693711412793.png
And then most of you know the rest of the story….
He meets a naughtily drawn toon.
BTW, in the production that I saw, Nick Fury’s character was the best part of the show.
Why?
In about 60 seconds, the Avengers team up to save, New York, Wakanda, and the Planet.
Very efficient world saving, there.
And he goes back to spend the rest of his life with Peggy.
But what about the rest of the planet???
After the show, Jill and I were feeling a little bit hungry so we decided to split a corn dog from the Corn Dog Castle.
Some day...
This was back when the Lottery was over 1.5 billion dollars so we went by the Wonderland Liquor store on Anaheim, to get our lottery tickets. Spoiler alert: we didn’t win.
I did notice you flew commercial...

Another excited adventures at DCA. It would have been nice to watch that show during my visit (which they canceled twice on my day) but seeing your pics was nice to see it from your view.

I would have suggested it, but not as easy to share. And someone would not have been able to steal all the lettuce.
Some folks just love their veggies ;)
She must read the comic books.
Yup, I think she's read a lot
I had no idea what to expect from Rogers: The Musical.
Me neither, I just knew we had to see it aka a great excuse for a trip
It did have all the pizazz that you would expect from a Disney musical. Dance numbers, and great sets.
it absolutely did! I loved the sets, dancing, and of course great singing

x23DL0804DLR33.jpg
So great!
Ahh so Jill is ketchup and you are mustard?
The day before Jill had picked up this S’mores macaron for us to split. It was super good, but I don’t think that either of us could have eaten a whole one. It was just too sweet.

x23DL0804DLR40.jpg

Was it any good? Or just too sweet?

Wow! Your big trip is coming up fast. That’s so exciting. I love your possible name “drinks like fishes”. 😂 We had a basement full of old computers, printers and game systems until we needed to have work done to the foundation. DH had kept everything since computers began. It was his museum. We are now down to his first one, first game system and a couple of printers.

I had no idea what to expect from Rogers: The Musical. I’d heard mixed reviews some said that it was “OK, I’ve seen it and I don’t need to see it again.
That's about where I am with most of the shows/parades.

And then they convince him to try the serum.
Try these untested drugs! What could go wrong?

BTW, in the production that I saw, Nick Fury’s character was the best part of the show.
Is he in like 2 minutes of it?

Would you have told us if you had?

Rise of the machines??
More like Hari Kari Machines. They kept killing themselves.
That'd be nice. :)
Yes it would be. You are overdue for a Disneyland adjacent visit.
I have to get past the first hurdle, first.
Well hopefully you are closer.
I love ham. I'll have your share. Just to help out.
It's not that I don't like it. I just don't want to eat it so often. It's a bit of work to prepare.
Thanks. I haven't seen it yet, nor the Barbie movie. I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out.
That's why I made it a point to see both fairly soon after they were released. For most of my life I've missed out on popular culture and don't get many references that other people think are funny.
Burst into flames hot.
I think you might have to set it every time?
Well that sucks. I forget to do that.
Driving tired is another kind of tired. I get that.
Well I wasn't tired when I started out, but after about five or six hours it started to sink in.
Here it was 97 today. Hotter than a lot of places well to the south of us.
It hasn't been getting that hot here (well I'm in Kamloops as I type this but I mean So Cal when I say here). But it's been super humid so I haven't been good with my walking.
One problem. This guy's name is Roger. No "s". Plus it's his forename. His surname is "Rabbit". The character whom the musical is about, Rogers (plural), is his surname. :snooty:

Stark Club, huh?
:confused3 Didn't Howard Stark own everything?
He meets a naughtily drawn toon.
Wrong franchise! :laughing:
I don't exactly remember why, but I think he played off the audience. He made some off-script jokes that were current and pertinent.
Very efficient world saving, there.
But what about the rest of the planet???
Thanos was destroyed the rest of the saving is up to phase 4 and phase 5 Marvel universe.
Some day...
It's on the list!
I did notice you flew commercial...
Well with still well over half a million frequent flyer miles in Frans accounts, I'll be flying commercial for the foreseeable future. Just free!

Another excited adventures at DCA. It would have been nice to watch that show during my visit (which they canceled twice on my day) but seeing your pics was nice to see it from your view.

I would have liked to see the show a second time. I think we were both planning to see it the same day when it was canceled.

It was nice to see you again even if it was not Disney.

More like Hari Kari Machines. They kept killing themselves.
Oh, sure. I've seen that movie.

1694734854884.png
Yes it would be. You are overdue for a Disneyland adjacent visit.
It's not that I don't like it. I just don't want to eat it so often. It's a bit of work to prepare.
I love ham, so I'd be quite happy to eat it often.

Of course, if I did that, then I'd probably get sick of it and not want to eat it.

I've actually had that happen, just not with ham.
That's why I made it a point to see both fairly soon after they were released. For most of my life I've missed out on popular culture and don't get many references that other people think are funny.
Ah well, still haven't seen them. I did see the latest Indy movie though, so there's that.
Well I wasn't tired when I started out, but after about five or six hours it started to sink in.
I understand. I get that way after 10-12 hours.
One problem. This guy's name is Roger. No "s". Plus it's his forename. His surname is "Rabbit". The character whom the musical is about, Rogers (plural), is his surname. :snooty:

Well, I posted 4 separate pictures of him, so... technically... I posted Rogers.
:confused3 Didn't Howard Stark own everything?
Valid point.
I don't exactly remember why, but I think he played off the audience. He made some off-script jokes that were current and pertinent.
Ah. Like that kind of interaction. :)
Well with still well over half a million frequent flyer miles in Frans accounts, I'll be flying commercial for the foreseeable future. Just free!
Free is good. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter