They changed the fish. . . . .

At the walk up for fish and chips at Epcot, we went to have our standard two piece that we have come to enjoy so much and think it is one of the better priced meals. When we mentioned to the order taker how much we enjoyed the dish, she told us we were going to love it even more as they just changed from Cod to Tilapia.

Well, ewwwwwww. Tilapia doesn't even exist in the wild and is one of the most unhealthy items you can eat. And, no, the dish wasn't better. It was rather tasteless and dull. The fries (chips) remain excellent and it was served hot, but isn't anywhere near as good as using the Cod. Sure, Tilapia is likely far cheaper, but no, it isn't anywhere near as good.

Not sure if the fish and chips in Rose and Crown were changed too.

OWD
Tilapia are actually native to some freshwater lakes in central Africa.

I am not one of those people who just follows what others say. I will try things for myself and decide. I hate tilapia. The first time I tried it was over 25 years ago when our local grocery store first got it in. It was the most inexpensive fish there was at the time and they were selling it as an alternative to catfish. It was disgusting, plain and simple. It is a cheap fish and for Disney(or anyone else) to sell it at a premium price is outrageous.

Last edited:
Just chiming in. My dd21and I ate at the take out window on May23rd. We both agreed the fish was yucky. And we usually love the fish and chips here.
Maybe if enough people end up boycotting, they will go back to the type of white fish they were using. I saw no one at the window on June 10th, around noon!

Notice the review by Shelley? She described it as a "HUGE coating of batter around them, so it was all doughy inside. The cod itself doesn't taste great"...she clearly had no idea at that point that it was tilapia she was eating. Lol!
We've been eating at YC since 2011 and this has described the fish since that time, huge coating of batter, may or may not be fully cooking inside. Extremely greasy too. DH loves it so we go but I have never loved the YC dish.
Give me good old "Southern Fried Catfish" any day over cod or tilapia:fish:
Yep, me too. As long as it's not from my uncles old still ponds. Those were some bad tasting fish

Apparently, the fish and chips inside the Pub or at the restaurant are still cod. Not sure why they decided to change the fish just at the kiosk - maybe because they serve 2 pieces outside vs. 1 piece inside?
Because they have never been the same

Still doesn’t make it the right type of fish for classic fish & chips :confused3 That’s the only crime in my eyes!
Now this is one statement is this crazy thread I can agree with. Poor maligned tilapia hasn't done a thing wrong but this is true, it's not a fish and chips fish

Personally, I don't think it has been cod for quite awhile. I know around 18-24 months ago I noticed a distinct difference in quality of the actual fish. It seemed thinner, not flaky, and tasteless. It was not cod IMO. However, I also noticed this at Cooke's of Dublin so I don't know if its just me or if both QS types changed there fish.
Probably because it was never cod

My bottom line is, their F&C is God awful expensive.
If I'm going to pay those prices for what is sold as fast food in Great Briton I want it to be the finest fish available and Tilapia is certainly not anywhere near a fine quality fish.
So if they've changed to Tilapia at the R&C I'll just skip it.

A restaurant in the UK section of the World Showcase serve the food to the standard of the nation: Cod and Haddock...Ireland may differ to grouping of other white fish which does not include Tilapia. Ask for your money back as their making you think you are ordering Fish & Chips. The menu states from Rose & Crown, “Fish & Chips, Rose & Crown’s Signature Dish, Beer-battered and served with House-made Tartar Sauce." If the fish changed to Tilapia, then their misrepresenting the dish.

Can anyone confirm if this is a change for the Rose and Crown too? We love that one, always order the fish, and have a ADR for this trip. I'll change it if that is the case, because we don't like tilapia either. Its always been a wonderful fish and chips.
Rose and Crown was never changed. I don't quite understand why the talk of YC grouped in and switched to talk of R&C changing too. They have never served the same fish, at least not in many, many years.

Tilapia was the subject on a show called "Dirty Jobs" some years ago. It still on TV in the form of reruns. If you really want to know more about Tilapia just google it where its imported from and what its feed!!! Gross!!
Well, we all know everything we see on TV and the Internet is true.
I know all I need to know when I can cook and eat it and we like it.
I'm just skeptical of most everything reporters come up with, everyone has an angle, if it's not Consumer Reports, and after reading their reports of late, I'm even beginning to doubt them

Just read this to the DH and he was SO disappointed!!

He had LOVED the Fish and Chips at R&C over our trip in Thanksgiving.....that was on our list of "Must Do's" for this next trip!

Just read this to the DH and he was SO disappointed!!

He had LOVED the Fish and Chips at R&C over our trip in Thanksgiving.....that was on our list of "Must Do's" for this next trip!
Luckily for your DH, R&C didn't change

You stated earlier that Yorkshire was never cod.

1) What fish was it?
2) When did it change?
3) What fish is it now?

Well first that's crap because they've never had cod at the stand. It's always been a garbage fish called Pangasius. Talapia is definitely an upgrade even if it comes from gross Southeast Asian fish farms. They only serve cod at Rose & Crown.
#2 Recently
#3 Evidently tilapia, based on the comment from a CM at the stand

According to this 2015 TripAdvisor review, the CM is dishing out incorrect information, and we’ve been eating not-cod for a while...

The best fish and chips ever!!!
13 Sep 2015

WDW11 (56 reviews)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

We make a point of eating here once or twice every single trip! The fish is normally tilapia and the beer battered crust is simply perfection!!! Don't miss it! And don't bother eating inside Rose and Crown because their fish and chips is not remotely similar to the one at the kiosk! (they use codfish instead)

According to this 2015 TripAdvisor review, the CM is dishing out incorrect information, and we’ve been eating not-cod for a while...

13 Sep 2015

WDW11 (56 reviews)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

We make a point of eating here once or twice every single trip! The fish is normally tilapia and the beer battered crust is simply perfection!!! Don't miss it! And don't bother eating inside Rose and Crown because their fish and chips is not remotely similar to the one at the kiosk! (they use codfish instead)

And the plot thickens....

13 Sep 2015

WDW11 (56 reviews)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I think they are right about the fish being different, and not remotely similar to what is served at R&C and wrong about the type served at YC (at least in 2015). We ate there too often then, it has been a firm fleshed white fish. No clue what other than it wasn't tilapia then. Tilapia is just not firm enough (and I like it quite well myself, feel quite bad at the bad mouthing it's gotten here, poor fish)

I think they are right about the fish being different, and not remotely similar to what is served at R&C and wrong about the type served at YC (at least in 2015). We ate there too often then, it has been a firm fleshed white fish. No clue what other than it wasn't tilapia then. Tilapia is just not firm enough (and I like it quite well myself, feel quite bad at the bad mouthing it's gotten here, poor fish)

I agree with this. In the years we have been going to WDW R&C and YC have always served different fish, and I actually preferred YC, whatever it was. I don't think that it was tilapia in 2015, I actually like tilapia, but that has not been what they have been serving the past few years as what they serve has been quite firm, unlike tilapia. I have always heard that YC served Pangasius, but I don't think I have ever had that fish outside of YC so that isn't something that I could ever confirm.

While eating at the Rose & Crown 2 weeks ago I asked the waitress about the fish. She insisted that the restaurant would stay cod but the fast food location went to Tilapia because it was easier to cook. I told her it was also tasteless.

I've heard that tilapia is bad for similar reasons to cat fish; they're bottom feeders, meaning they eat the gross stuff no one else wants lol. I don't know how true that is, it's just what I've heard. This is really gross. Fish and chips is meant to be served with cod. If they're going to serve it with tilapia, then they better have the price reflect the type of fish they're using. Of course, I'm sure they won't.

Hmm, I wonder if they change the fish from time to time? I’ve never asked nor cared; I just eat. That batter is delicious.

My understanding of tilapia is that it has a reputation of being factory farmed and fed corn-based products. It's just overall not a healthy fish to consume because it isn't wild-caught and is fed a corn-based diet. Again, my understanding of it is very low, it's just what I've heard in the past from food documentaries. In the wild, they're supposedly bottom feeders. I'm not sure of the validity of that statement because a fisherman told me that about catfish and tilapia long ago. I could be remembering it wrong.

This whole post is so fascinating! Feels like a Disney post combined with a nature documentary!

Throwing in my two cents: I have disliked Tilapia every time I tried it. It has a "bitter" taste to me and a grainy texture, not sure why.

I've heard that tilapia is bad for similar reasons to cat fish; they're bottom feeders, meaning they eat the gross stuff no one else wants lol. I don't know how true that is, it's just what I've heard. This is really gross. Fish and chips is meant to be served with cod. If they're going to serve it with tilapia, then they better have the price reflect the type of fish they're using. Of course, I'm sure they won't.

Cod is a bottom feeder too. Sorry! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter