Things on TV shows that bug you....

Subtitles don't bother me in the slightest, but then I've watched a lot of foreign movies and anime.

I don't like it when (mostly on sitcoms) a character either enters or exits the house through the door and leaves it wide open behind them. I don't know anyone that walks into their home or leaves and leaves their door flung open.
You haven’t met my daughter or ex-husband

Most of the time, I let these sort of things go while I'm watching the show. But later on, I will pick apart what drove me nuts!

As much as I love the original Law & Order, it still drives me crazy how quickly they go to trial. In reality, it takes a while (sometimes years) for a case to make it thru the legal system. And in the early days of the show, they didn't always have the same ME, but that changed. I wonder if the same cops always work with the same ME in real life.

I watch some CSI type shows - and I know they process DNA, etc. much faster than in real life. Also, I always wonder if the CSI guys get to be there when people are arrested or even do the arresting themselves.

It drives me nuts that every cop/FBI/CSI show now has a character that is a hacker.

I'm a big fan of Castle (ask anyone who knows me), but there are so many plot holes in the show. First of all, the fact that he got to shadow her for years is crazy. Now we know why he has so many different coats/jackets, but how the heck does she afford all of her stuff and how does she afford her apartment. How come Castle - a world famous author - answered his cell phone when it was an unlisted number? (a plot point in a season 4 episode) How come Castle, who is a best selling author and not an actor, be featured so much on the gossip pages?

I hate the interaction between Garcia and Morgan on Criminal Minds. So unprofessional.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg for me.

And when they're on the phone, agree to meet at a certain time without saying where. Or, conversely, when they agree to meet somewhere but don't say when.
Oh yeah that happens all the time. That and when they don't even get a time.

It's like do you all have esp and just know exactly when you're expected to be somewhere and where that somewhere is at?

One of the biggest things that bothers me is how the show is supposed to be set in say the flat farmland plains of Kansas but it's always hilly, Mediterranean shrubs and trees i.e. California! I was just watching the 2 season show "Jericho" and it was definitely not in the Kansas as constantly emphasized in the show.

Same for the original NCIS show with episode after episode supposedly on the east coast but California's hills and dry vegetation even when the episode was supposed to be in Shenandoah NP it was still too dry and barren.

The other big complaint I have is how dark so many movies (and even tv shows) are filmed. So dark you can barely see what is going on is frustrating! I know it is evidently a popular film style now especially for "dark themes" but dang it, how can we see anything?

Last edited:

Shows that jump the shark when they become unnecessarily overtly political... enough... Homeland, Law & Order SVU years ago, etc.

Walking Dead... Scott Gimple killing that show... I don't want to talk about it. :(

Shows continuing beyond what obviously should have been a stopping point... Homeland, Nashville...

Last edited:
One of the biggest things that bothers me is how the show is supposed to be set in say the flat farmland plains of Kansas but it's always hilly, Mediterranean shrubs and trees i.e. California! I was just watching the 2 season show "Jericho" and it was definitely not in the midwest. Same for the original NCIS show with episode after episode supposedly on the east coast but California dry hills and vegetation even when the episode was supposed to be in Shenandoah NP it was still too dry and barren.

The other big complaint I have is how dark so many movies (and even tv shows) are filmed. So dark you can barely see what is going on is frustrating! I know it is evidently a popular film style now especially for "dark themes" but dang it, how can we see anything?
Hey we Kansans have hills lol

There's the Flint Hills for example lol (photos was when the grass is dormant):
p1819800557-3.jpg

Granted where the fictional town of Jericho (closer to the Colorado border) is roughly located at in real life cities in Kansas is far from the Flint Hills. Plant life for sure though is a dead give away that it's not in the area it's supposed to be.

But the majority of Kansas is more flat though.

But honestly many movies aren't made in their respective locations-I know Atlanta for example is used a lot because their industry has tax breaks, etc that lure people in, Canada also has a more friendly filming location. I do laugh though when a tv show or movie has a setting in my area and it's clearly not my area lol.

I hate when they talk about dialysis, kidney disease and transplants. Most shows get them wrong. Really wrong. Grey's Anatomy, Chicago Med take note: the pediatric general surgeon does not do kidney transplants; neither does a general surgeon. Super special specialty there.

One thing that always bugged me about Law and Order was how dark the precinct always was. They always had lamps on.

Hey we Kansans have hills lol

There's the Flint Hills for example lol (photos was when the grass is dormant):
p1819800557-3.jpg

Granted where the fictional town of Jericho (closer to the Colorado border) is roughly located at in real life cities in Kansas is far from the Flint Hills. Plant life for sure though is a dead give away that it's not in the area it's supposed to be.

But the majority of Kansas is more flat though.

But honestly many movies aren't made in their respective locations-I know Atlanta for example is used a lot because their industry has tax breaks, etc that lure people in, Canada also has a more friendly filming location. I do laugh though when a tv show or movie has a setting in my area and it's clearly not my area lol.

Thank you for the picture Mackenzie Click-Mickelson! I have seen the hills of Kansas several times and my brother lives near Fort Riley. Personally I think the wheat fields and farms are definitely part of the charm there!

I know it makes sense to film close to the studios in CA and where tax breaks like those in Canada are offered. That's one big reason why Vancouver, Canada is so popular for city scenes but it all drives me crazy. I got my degree in Geography and taught it for many years so this probably explains why it bugs me so. Hate to think of the long-term effect of misinformation on kids who according to some research never travel outside home state except to Florida!

Thank you for the picture Mackenzie Click-Mickelson! I have seen the hills of Kansas several times and my brother lives near Fort Riley. Personally I think the wheat fields and farms are definitely part of the charm there!

I know it makes sense to film close to the studios in CA and where tax breaks like those in Canada are offered. That's one big reason why Vancouver, Canada is so popular for city scenes but it all drives me crazy. I got my degree in Geography and taught it for many years so this probably explains why it bugs me so. Hate to think of the long-term effect of misinformation on kids who according to some research never travel outside home state except to Florida!
Ohhh yea well in that case I can totally understand why it bugs you a lot :)

Geography is an interesting subject for me as well.

I am watching “Suits” and it is bugging me how people are always confronting others on the street. How do they know exactly where they will be? They are in New York City but seem to know the exact time and place where the peron will be. Do they have tracking devices on everyone?

Last edited:
This thread is great. Can't believe my number 1 pet peeve hasn't been mentioned yet.

When groups of people are in the same room, only feet apart and they have entire conversations that the person 2 feet away doesn't hear. LOL - this happens on every episode of Friends when someone is carrying on a conversation in the "kitchen" and the people on the couch magically can't hear them. Notice it in a lot of sitcoms and it drives me crazy.

I always have to laugh at golden girls. They live in Miami and there always dressed like. Nanook of the north. With sweatshirts. Sweaters turtlenecks. And such. Also they used. The 555 numbers so people wouldn't call the number expecting to get ahold the person. I worked at the phone co after high school and they actually talked to us about it. Probably an interesting tidbit.

I have to say - living in southern FL that it amazes me what the "older ladies" wear. It'll be 60 and they will seriously be wearing turtlenecks. 70 and they're wearing long sleeves and cardigans. But to be fair, places air condition things so crazy down here that you really do get cold. lol

Several days' events taking place in 23 or 46 minutes.

1. But where would Pa have taken violin lessons?
2. Not uncommon at all. Frequently it's a matter of chemistry. Or making yourself look much much older than you really are (cough) Estelle Getty (cough) for an audition https://www.rottentomatoes.com/gall...-age-to-their-tv-children/editorial-10266294/ Movies, too http://scribol.com/pop-culture/film...nt-child-character-age-differences-in-movies/
3. Ditto on chemistry, for permanent roles. Or just the right persona. Couple of others off the top of my head: Diane Neal played a murderer on an episode of Law and Order:SVU. Couple of years later she came back in a different regular role. Isabel Gillies was a murderer in a Law & Order episode, then went on to a recurring role as Stabler's wife on L&O:SVU.

Fresh Off the Boat, right?
I saw an old episode of SVU where the current season DA played a crazy murderer getting put in jail.... it ruined every episode with him in it being all serious and good after that for me!:rotfl2: I couldn't believe it when I saw that

here's one of mine, when the men in the shows wear weather appropriate clothing while the women wear skimpy little outfits to make them look sexy.(ahem Friends!) and my biggest peeve is men who look solid or pudgy or just regular while all the women characters are stick thin with no body fat whatsoever.(how do they stay warm?:rotfl2:)

Big Bang theory also. Where is Bernadette and Howard’s toddler? She’s on bed rest and he’s always hanging out with the guys.
this is one of the reasons I dislike the show now.... it just bugs me that two main characters become parents yet nothing at all changes except the scenery. No kids around at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!