Things to do in Orlando or Florida

Colargol

Mouseketeer
- that does not involve Disney?

Any good suggestions? We are spending 3 weeks in Orlando this summer, and only 3 days in Disney parks. Universal we'll save for later when the kids are bigger, we have previously done Seaworld and Legoland, so the park-activities will not take up much time this year.

So, I am looking for fun things to do while on holiday. Our kids are 6 & 10 yrs old. We have a car, so can drive some distance.

So far I have come up with a airboat-tour, and possibly a trip to a beach (but which beach???).
Kennedy Pace Center might be fun for the oldest, not sure about the youngest (also not sure how much the kids will actually get out of it, their english is not that good yet).
But that's how far I seem to get. Completely lost for ideas!

There are so many cool things that we can't fit in. I would look at Wonder Works http://www.wonderworksonline.com/orlando/
The science museum looks really cool.
One thing we do plan on doing is the triple combo you can do of the aquarium, Madame Tussauds and the Orlando eye.
There is the Ripley believe it or not museum.

That's off the top of my head. I actually had to stop looking when I realised we didn't have time for everything!

Look at visiting some of the natural springs parks. They are gorgeous, usually not overly crowded, and inexpensive as well. Look at some places that get you close to manatees. That is always nice. Try some of the beaches and do turtle watching at night. Visit some of the off-the-beaten-path beach places to get the old FL feel.

Kids are probably prime age for LegoLand. Gatorland is a good half-day excursion.The Crayola Experience if they are artistic.

Cocoa Beach (quieter) or Daytona (active) are good on the Atlantic Coast. A little bit further and popular on the Gulf Coast are Clearwater Beach and Siesta Key. We are big fans of Siesta Key.

Any good suggestions? We are spending 3 weeks in Orlando this summer, and only 3 days in Disney parks. Universal we'll save for later when the kids are bigger, we have previously done Seaworld and Legoland, so the park-activities will not take up much time this year.

So, I am looking for fun things to do while on holiday. Our kids are 6 & 10 yrs old. We have a car, so can drive some distance.

So far I have come up with a airboat-tour, and possibly a trip to a beach (but which beach???).
Kennedy Pace Center might be fun for the oldest, not sure about the youngest (also not sure how much the kids will actually get out of it, their english is not that good yet).

We have done Clearwater beach on a couple of occasions (its very touristy) but combined it with a trip to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium (3hrs or so)
Kids loved seeing Winter and with discounts it was less than $50 for the 4 of us

the Orlando Eye, wax museum and aquarium were great for a non-Disney day! We love the Space Center. We watched cruise ships depart from Jetty Park-it's nice park along the canal to Port Canaveral where you can watch the ships. But they also have a lovely beach on the ocean, restrooms and changing facilities. We did this after our time at the space center.

I have also seen other boat tours-Space Coast Tours I think is one company that explores the Port by boat and then also goes down one of the many rivers in search of wildlife.

Mini-golf is another fun activity, either Disney's courses or another one nearby.

Interested in this thread myself, I was going to post a similar question. We'll be there for 17 days coming up shortly. We'll have APs, so most of our time will be in WDW, but just scouting ideas for a day or two outside WDW over the next 12 months. Daytona Beach is already on our list.

Not interested in museums really, not our thing. Looking for more "fun" and unique things that we wouldn't find here at home. In other words, we don't want to take them to Skyzone (a trampoline park), as we have them here in Atlanta. Looking for Florida/Orlando unique things to do. Airboats are definitely possible, not sure how much they cost though. Anyone done a helicopter tour of Disney? How much did that cost? I like the natural springs idea.

Interested in this thread myself, I was going to post a similar question. We'll be there for 17 days coming up shortly. We'll have APs, so most of our time will be in WDW, but just scouting ideas for a day or two outside WDW over the next 12 months. Daytona Beach is already on our list.

Not interested in museums really, not our thing. Looking for more "fun" and unique things that we wouldn't find here at home. In other words, we don't want to take them to Skyzone (a trampoline park), as we have them here in Atlanta. Looking for Florida/Orlando unique things to do. Airboats are definitely possible, not sure how much they cost though. Anyone done a helicopter tour of Disney? How much did that cost? I like the natural springs idea.
Technically, no one has done a helicopter tour of Disney as they are a "no-fly zone". The best you get is peripheral angles from off property. I am sure this makes a lot of sense as I would bet the air above Disney would be thick with choppers if it was allowed, that would be distracting for the park guests.

Haven't actually done this, mostly because of the flight restrictions. I did look into it and IIRC it was about $50pp but Groupons etc can be found.

Technically, no one has done a helicopter tour of Disney as they are a "no-fly zone". The best you get is peripheral angles from off property. I am sure this makes a lot of sense as I would bet the air above Disney would be thick with choppers if it was allowed, that would be distracting for the park guests.

Haven't actually done this, mostly because of the flight restrictions. I did look into it and IIRC it was about $50pp but Groupons etc can be found.

Yes, I'm quite aware of the no fly zone, thanks. But from what I understand, being up in a helicopter you can still get a pretty good view from the spots they are allowed to go.

Dolphin Landings at St. Pete's Beach offers an amazing Dolphin Sailing. Their beautiful sailboats take you out on the gulf waters and the dolphins will literally swim right alongside the boat. A simply amazing, very "Florida" experience. I can't recommend it enough.

13100943_10154680118536416_7291526139123544980_n.jpg

13151870_10154680117921416_543059994260629176_n.jpg

13178681_10154680117886416_5251478622082240745_n.jpg

13118958_10154680118341416_6813201970443252464_n.jpg

13179381_10154680117056416_7836994728177342138_n.jpg
13151578_10154680120646416_4860715514561324025_n.jpg

They also offer a Dolphin Racer boat, if you're looking for a faster ride.

13151988_10154680118056416_5978991139765770758_n.jpg

My favorite is the L.B. Brown House in Bartow FL. If you are interested in American history. They have a super guide who lived a lot of history in his lifetime and tells great stories. if you can get him, it is well worth the drive. I don't recall his name but he was 70 or so and an African American. Expect he is one of few guides for the house. You call for an appointment but I think the tour was free. It is air conditioned. Donations appreciated.

There was a neat restaurant that he recommended in downtown Bartow with great local dishes. The drive from Orlando to Bartow (skip the interstate highway) is a neat sample of a rural FL of long ago when oranges and cattle not a mouse ruled the economy.

I couldn't imagine being in Orlando in the summer without visits to a water park. We just love Aquatica, and annual passes are a bargain. We tend to do other things in the morning and hit the park in the afternoon as the crowds die down.

Groupon has a good deal on tickets for Skeletons Unveiled near the Orlando Eye. They have skeletons of just about every animal in this excellent, small museum. I thinks the kids would like it.

We love a stroll through Harry P Leu gardens and head to the cute town of Winter Park for excellent BBQ at 4 Rivers BBQ.

Head to the animal kingdom lodge in the evening to see the animals through a night vision scope. We love to ride the boats and monorails around to see each resort. Disney Springs just keeps getting better and better. It is a great place to hang out and the dining options are endless. We loved the pizza at Blaze.

The Best Airboat Ride is at Midway Airboat Rides airboatridesatmidway .com ( cost about $35 )

On Hwy 50 Near Christmas ( near Titisville ) .

Follow up with a picnic at Fort Christmas . ( an hour + drive )

A Pontoon Boat tour at Hontoon Landing .... Blue Heron River Tours ..... blueheronrivertours.com

up at 2317 River Ridge Road Deland Fl 32720 ( Up I-4 to Deland )

This is a relaxing boat .t

A Follow up You do have a car.

Try " Forever Florida " Zip Wire rides etc.

4755 N.Kenansville Rd St.Cloud FL 34773

Look it up

We have done Clearwater beach on a couple of occasions (its very touristy) but combined it with a trip to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium (3hrs or so)
Kids loved seeing Winter and with discounts it was less than $50 for the 4 of us

Hello! We are planning on doing this in September after our Disney trip. Where did you find discounts to see winter? I was looking at spending at least $75 for the three of us I would love to find a discount so we can have a little extra $ for fun. Thanks for any info! :)

Hello! We are planning on doing this in September after our Disney trip. Where did you find discounts to see winter? I was looking at spending at least $75 for the three of us I would love to find a discount so we can have a little extra $ for fun. Thanks for any info! :)

https://www.valpak.com/coupons/printable/clearwater-marine-aquarium/9706#

Current coupon in only valid till July but as per previous coupon usually is renewed to cover 6 weeks or so.

Hope it works out for you and you have blast

I highly recommend either the Sea Life Encounter tour $29 for Adults and $25 for children or the Nature Safari tour $45 for adults and $40 for children through Sarasota Bay Explores at Mote Aquarium is Sarasota. Information on both tours can be found at Sarasotabayexplores.com or by calling (941) 388-4200. Reservations are required and they do tend to fill up especially when school is out so plan in advance. Both are boat tours with a marine biologist on the tour who will explain all sorts of information about sea life in the Sarasota bay. The Sea Life Encounter will place a net in the water and bring on board what ever is found to place in touch tanks where the marine biologist will teach about and let everyone who wants touch the different types of marine life found. Everything is then released back in the water. The Nature Safari is really cool as you actually get in the water in the bay and use nets to help the marine biologist take notes, measurements and gather basic information about the marine life in the bay. I think you must be at least 6 years old to participate in the Nature Safari tour. Both tours take off from Mote Aquarium at 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota. Each tour is about two hours. Tours are not offered everyday of the week so plan accordingly.

I would suggest making a day of it and either going to Siesta Key beach or check out Sarasota. The area is beautiful with tons of great shops and restaurants. Some of our favorite restaurants are Captain Curt's on Siesta Key, Phillippi Creek Restaurant and Oyster bar 5353 Tamiami Trail Sarasota, Old Salty Dog 5023 Ocean Blvd Siesta Key, and Yoder's Amish Restaurant at 3434 Bahia Vista St in Sarasota.

If your looking for water adventures in the Sarasota area I also recommend Siesta Key Water Sports at 1536 Stickney Point Rd. Sarasota. Information can be found at siestakeywatersports.com or by calling (941) 921-3030. They offer jet ski rentals, parasailing, fishing charters and dolphin cruises. We have used their services many times and its always been great.

Sarasota is about an hour and half drive from Disney World. It's on the Gulf Coast and Siesta Key Beach is often awarded as one of the best beaches in the world. The sunsets here are amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter