Things to do in Orlando

Shellbells

DIS Veteran
We're going to WDW for 8 nights in early December. We thought we'd take a day to do something other than a theme park.
We're thinking maybe airboats and/or a gater farm.
Are these doable in Orlando? Or do you have any other suggestions? It'll be my husband, my two step sons who are 12 and 17 and myself.
Thank you in advance!

The world's most famous gator farm is there, LOL. Gatorland. Have fun!

What do you consider to be non-theme parky? Not sure where you are from, or what you have done before?
With kids those ages, I'd suggest going to Universal, but that is definitely theme park-y.

There is Top Golf and their knockoff, Drive Shack
There is Wonder Works and Ripley's
There's Kennedy Space Center and Cocoa Beach
We enjoy the science center, but your guys may be a little too old to appreciate it...

We live in Vegas. We have two free days planned. One will be for a resort and DS day while DH plays golf but that leaves us with one day with no plans. We talked about doing a non park activity but I just read your reply to my husband and he said maybe we should do Universal.
I thought the beach sounded good but he's worried it won't be warm enough.

Another idea is gokarting. My teen son adored it!!! You can get an all day pass and spend hours going on the different tracks.

We live in Vegas. We have two free days planned. One will be for a resort and DS day while DH plays golf but that leaves us with one day with no plans. We talked about doing a non park activity but I just read your reply to my husband and he said maybe we should do Universal.
I thought the beach sounded good but he's worried it won't be warm enough.

Cocoa Beach Sept will still be high 80s. I've been in October, November, December, January and February. For real. Pools will be fine. Ocean may be chilly, but should be okay!
I'm not a HUGE fan of Atlantic Coast beaches, but the kids love it at Cocoa. The Gulf side is nicer and warmer, but I'm biased. If you have any interest in the space program, you could combine it with Kennedy. There are Space X launches all the time, you may luck out from one being pushed back.

Another idea is gokarting. My teen son adored it!!! You can get an all day pass and spend hours going on the different tracks.
t

Can the 12 yr old do this? I think both boys would love it. Me not so much but it's more about them. If I had my way it would be 24/7 at Disney, lol.

Weather in December in Florida is very unpredictable. It can be cold or it can be warm. In 2017 went the week before Christmas and I was sitting on the beach 3 days before Christmas and it was 80 degrees. I do love me a beach day every time I visit WDW as I too live in Vegas and well there's no beaches nearby and always opt to go to Madeira Beach which is near the St. Pete/Clearwater area. It's less crowded than other beaches in the area and can rent a cabana and 2 loungers for $25 for the entire day.

There's also plenty of fun stuff to do in the Central Florida area. A few hours away is St. Augustine if you're into history and other fun attractions. There's a lot to see and do in St. Augustine and it's just a few hours from Orlando.

International Drive has a lot to offer from shopping to restaurants to mini golf to attractions such as the The Wheel at Icon Park (big ferris wheel) and Madam Tussauds wax museum.

And if you're looking for Disney souvenirs I highly recommend checking out the Disney Character Warehouse. There's one on International Drive and also one on Vineland that's closer to Disney Springs.

There are several swamp airboat rides from Kissimmee.You’ll see gators and all kinds of wildlife It’s a great activity for kids & teens!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter