• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking of going to Disneyland Paris in 2006 with lots of questions!

Nik's Mom

DIS Veteran
Hi. We will be celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary in 2006, and would love to go to Paris to celebrate. I don't know where to begin on researching, so I thought I'd start here.
We've never been to Europe, and don't speak French. Would we be lost not knowing French?
What hotels do you all suggest? We'll be traveling with our 2 DS's. They'll be 7 and 4 by then?
When's a good time to go?
Does anyone have any cost saving tips?
My DS has asthma. How bad is the cigarette smoke in Paris and Disneyland?
What other attractions are close to Disneyland? I'd like to see some of Paris as well.
Thanks everyone. Any advice you have would be appreciated!

Hi and welcome!! We're just planning our first trip to California (Disneyland of course!!) for 2005 so we can swap!! You won't find not speaking French a problem in Disneyland Paris or in Paris itself as so many people speak English and are usually only too happy to practise!There are a range of hotels at DLP from economy to deluxe so you can choose according to your budget - all close to the parks. You will find a lot more people smoke (including in the parks) than in the US I'm afraid but restaurants usually have no-smoking areas. I would strongly recommend you go in school term time if possible as the parks are quite quiet then and it's much more pleasant to get around - you can usually walk straight onto rides. There's another thread on this forum with French school terms on. I'm sure you'll all have a great time!

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check out that thread. Youll love our weather here in California!

Hi Nik's Mom!

Its was unusual that you asked about the smoking in Paris, 'cos it was on a recent visit to DLP that the DW remarked to me how bad she thought it was - I hadn't noticed, but she had.

I think the French are much more tolerant of it & seldom accept being told what to do by authority, hence they smoke a lot in public, even confined areas.

The French language barrier is a problem with some CM's, but its true that English is the official second language of most of Europe - the Scandanavians, Germans, Dutch and many Spanish speak it well.

A good phrase book from Amazon will help you ask for what you want and the moment they know that you are an Englsih speaker, most CM drop into it too!

Enjoy your trip

How many days should we spend at DL? Do you think 4 days is enough? Also, are there any attractions near DL that we could visit, or is DL in the middle of nowhere?

4 would be enough - we usually go for 4 or 5 depending on the season. There are 5 lands incluing Main Street but there are lots of hidden treasures to discover - little details which are beautiful - but I guess your little ones will mainly be interested in Fantasyland!!.You only need 1 day, if that, for the Studios park. Paris itself is a short distance from DLRP so that would be the main attraction apart - of course - from Disneyland!!

If you fancy some shopping then definitely take a short trip to Val d'Europe centre which is about 10 minutes drive from DLP Resort.

Many good shops and pretty sure that some (if not all) is owned by the Chelsea Property Group that operate Premium Outlets in LBV area of Orlando??? Pretty sure that I saw their logo on a brochure?

Prices are on high side for us from UK given sterling is weak v. Euro, so guess Dollar will be the same, but good to see the different shops and products.

The centre includes an Auchan hypermarket which is not on a par with WalMart, but is big by European standards.....

Hi! :wizard:

Paris is only 45 minutes away by RER train. DLP also operates day trips to Paris, I believe the bus goes from Hotel New York but not definite about this as we have never done it.

There is also a Sea Life Centre nearby but again I have never been so I don't know if it's good or how to get there - sorry!

DisneyRGB said:

Paris is only 45 minutes away by RER train. DLP also operates day trips to Paris, I believe the bus goes from Hotel New York but not definite about this as we have never done it.

There is also a Sea Life Centre nearby but again I have never been so I don't know if it's good or how to get there - sorry!

Yes, the Sea Life Centre adjoins the Val d'Europe Shopping Centre!

DisneyRGB said:

You are correct about the tour busses. The do leave from Hotel NY.

:flower1: :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter