Thinking of taking the train... i have questions

Mrs Lapo

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone, last time I went to Disney in 2014 we flew and it was so easy. I had no problems. However it was expensive. I am trying to save money this time around & have been looking into possibly taking the train. We live in Philly so we'd get on at 30th street station and take it all the way to Florida. Now it looks like we can get off in Orlando or Kissimmee. It looks like Kissimmee is closer. I'm assuming Disney doesn't offer the magical express form the train like they do form the airport so I'm assuming we'll have to catch an Uber or cab to our resort. Has anyone ever traveled by train before? Can you confirm these assumptions for me. Did you like traveling by train? Anything I should know or prepare for ahead of time?

I am looking at the schedule that would leave Philly around 5pm and then travel through the night & we would arrive in Orlando/Kissimmee around 11am/12pm. There are 6 of us traveling - 2 adults and 4 kids ranging from 5-13 so this is crucial to me. My kids will sleep anywhere so I'm not concerned about that and actually chose this schedule so that they would be asleep a majority of the time. No fighting or "Mom, I'm booooreeedd" lol. I see we're allowed 2 free checked bags pp + carry on which will be plenty. And I will make a reservation for the dining car as soon as I purchase our tickets to ensure we have a table for our meal. And of course I'll bring snacks and drinks in my carry on.

I guess I'm jus looking to hear feedback from anyone who has traveled this route before. Tips/tricks. Which station is best to arrive at? Confirmation that there is no magical express from the train station? Maybe a round about cost for cab/uber. There are 6 of us + bags so I'm hoping to find a car we can all fit into. I ruly appreciate any feedback offered.

We have taken the train twice to Disney from Pittsburgh. We use Mears for transportation. They've been great-no complaints. You can get a big van or SUV to hold 6. We get off at Orlando because that stop is before Kissimmee. We ate in the dining car once. It's expensive. There's a café car to order items & taken them to your seat. There's a vendor cart at the Orlando station where we grab lunch before heading home. Pack blankets because it can get cold at night on the train. Every seat has electric outlets which is nice for charging cell phones, portable DVD players, etc. Any other questions, let me know.

Hi! DH and I took the train from Cary, NC last September, so probably the last half(ish) of your trip. I elected to get off at Kissimmee because I'd read on the boards that it was a nicer and closer stop. Closer, yes. Nicer.....not from what I could see. The Kissimmee station isn't in the best part of town, but it's not in the worst part of town either. Because it was daylight we felt perfectly safe there, but I have a feeling that would change had we been there after dark. Some interesting characters ride the train, that's for sure. For multiple reasons, we decided next time we would choose to get off the Orlando station.

We caught a Lyft from the Kissimmee station to Disney, and it took about 20 minutes and cost $15. However, it was just the 2 of us and 2 carry-on size bags, so we fit comfortably into the small SUV that picked us up. Don't know if it would be the same going back, we used my parents as a ride :teeth: It did not appear that there were any taxis waiting nearby like at an airport.

Now, that being said, keep in mind that Amtrak does not own the track in the Southeast part of the country. That means that the freight lines, and any troubles they may have, get first priority. From Cary to Jacksonville, FL the trip was fine. I brought a sleep mask and ear plugs and managed to get a few hours of sleep. Once we got through Jacksonville, the train had to stop to let a freight train go by, causing about a 20-30 minute delay. Then, somewhere around Winter Park, we stopped again, this time we were told because there was a gas leak in the town ahead and they didn't want the train to go through in case it caused sparks. This was about an hour delay. We made it Orlando. We get 3 miles from the Kissimmee station, and the train stops again. Now there's something wrong with the "tires." At first they tell us we can't move, and have to wait for assistance. And in case you wondered, no, they will not let you get off the train and walk for liability reasons (we asked, at that point I was done). They finally get clearance to limp along to the Kissimmee station so that we're not blocking the track. All in all, we arrived about 4 hours after we were scheduled.

That being said, on the return trip we had no delays. I guess it's just a matter of luck. However, it scarred us enough that it might be a while before we decide to take the train again.

Any other questions feel free to ask :-)

I am looking at the schedule that would leave Philly around 5pm and then travel through the night & we would arrive in Orlando/Kissimmee around 11am/12pm

Expect delays. Do NOT expect to get there by noon. With every stop there’s a strong chance of delay, and often in between stops.

I like trains but I’m a serous realist. Going from San Jose CA to Seattle, the train was 7 hours late already in the space between where it started in Los Angeles.

I would expect nothing different on the east coast.

Amtrak does not own the track in the Southeast part of the country.

Not sure they own the rails anywhere.

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone! For me, it's just such a cost savings that I feel like it'd be silly not to go this route. But I am still doing some research so I truly appreciate all of the feedback. I am planning on a down day/ non park day the day we arrive and the day we depart so I won't stress if we are delayed. And I will definitely pack blankets. And eye masks are a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. And going by everyone's feedback we will get off in Orlando and I will look into using MEARS. Thanks so much!!!

Not sure they own the rails anywhere.
I think they do here in the North East corridor, that supposedly explains why they're mostly on time around here. But you're mostly right, an article I found from early last year says that 97% of the track they run on belongs to someone else.

I'm guessing you're thinking of doing this trip in coach, without a room or roomette, yes? We take the train to WDW from NYC, but we always have a roomette. I wouldn't want to do it in coach, but there are a lot of people who do. If you're going during colder months, bring blankets with you. It gets cold in coach. Also, it's not exactly what I'd call quiet in coach. People talk, babies cry, people get up and go to the bathroom, etc. Just some things to consider.

I'll play devil's advocate...
There are 6 of us traveling - 2 adults and 4 kids ranging from 5-13 so this is crucial to me. My kids will sleep anywhere so I'm not concerned about that and actually chose this schedule so that they would be asleep a majority of the time.
Are you sure they'll sleep ***anywhere***?

There are many station stops overnight. People will be coming and going at all hours (gathering/storing luggage, finding/getting up from seats, etc.). The trains that serve central Florida have 5 stops between midnight and 6 AM.

Throw in other people's flatulence, snoring, sleep talking, crying babies, and phone conversations.

Then consider 30 minute to 8-hour+ delays.

Does overnight in coach sound fun?

Train travel sounds like a fun adventure, but can be a nightmare.

Here's a thread with a somewhat recent trip report:
Amtrak: a partial trip report

Last edited:
Ugh, I didn't really think about the people getting on & off all night. But my kids are VERY heavy sleepers. I'm hoping with earbuds & sleep masks they can get some sleep. I wouldn't be able to do a roomette because at that price I might as well just fly. Plus I have 3 kids & i would not feel comfortable with my girls in there by themselves and it doesn't look like they accommodate 4 to a room. I'm going to talk it over with my best friend some more (who I am traveling with) to get his thoughts on everything. I honestly would prefer to fly but I was trying to save money. And I think my bestie is a nervous flyer lol. I thought we would be too cramped in the car to drive plus it would take a bit longer so I was hoping the train would be a good fit for us.

Have you thought about doing the auto train from Lorton, va? That way you will have your car.

The longest train trip I've done is six hours, always in business class, and that's about my limit.

I personally couldn't do an overnight trip.

I honestly would prefer to fly but I was trying to save money. And I think my bestie is a nervous flyer lol. I thought we would be too cramped in the car to drive plus it would take a bit longer so I was hoping the train would be a good fit for us.
My two cents again: the train works if a) you can't fly or drive or b) you want the adventure of the train and have a 24 time cushion.

In my case, I was useless the day after my first overnight train trip (in a family bedroom on the auto train) and needed a day of downtime to recover. On my second overnight, I got motion sickness (despite regularly taking Amtrak).

People spend a lot on Disney trips. Is the cost savings over flying worth feeling pretty lousy the first day of the vacation?

Have you thought about doing the auto train from Lorton, va? That way you will have your car.

I don't want to bring my car because we will be stayng on property so I will only need transportation to & from the train station. The additional cost to ride the auto train out weighs the cost of the regular train esp since it's not a necessity to have my car :o( But thanks!

My two cents again: the train works if a) you can't fly or drive or b) you want the adventure of the train and have a 24 time cushion.

In my case, I was useless the day after my first overnight train trip (in a family bedroom on the auto train) and needed a day of downtime to recover. On my second overnight, I got motion sickness (despite regularly taking Amtrak).

People spend a lot on Disney trips. Is the cost savings over flying worth feeling pretty lousy the first day of the vacation?

Thank you very much for your insight!! These are all things I'm taking into consideration.

I think the AutoTrain may be out of the OP's budget. I believe it's much pricier than the regular Amtrak route.

ETA: Woops. Didn't see the OP had already responded to this.

Last edited:
OP: Have you considered driving and taking 2 days to do it? Even with a motel in there and food, it might still be cheaper than flying and possibly more comfortable than riding coach the whole way.

I have only done the auto train. My DH is a heavy sleeper and I am a light sleeper. We were both up all night. Two of our 3kids slept thru the night. I was tired and we had a roomette and a bedroom but i didn’t look as tired as the people in coach that morning. That is good you are doing a rest day when you arrive. You will need it!

We did it because my sister moved to Florida, Ft. Myers to be exact. When she moved and I tired to book flights for that first April they were over $500 and here was no way. So we drive. Next year we did the auto train and I booked it the day it came out with a roomette and bedroom on the way down and a family bedroom on the way back. There are 5 of us. It actually was less then flying and renting a car. But the lack of sleep, the continual stopping/jerking I’d thr train and feeling like we were going to tip over we said never again. So now we fly...and what did I pay for last April and this April...yep over $500 RT...ahhh...at least our Disney tickets for August are around $250 RT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter