Thinking of using a FP+ on Haunted Mansion. Worst idea?

TulipMom

Mouseketeer
I'm a few days away from our 60-day FP+ window and shocked to discover that I'm seriously considering a FP+ for Haunted Mansion. Part of this is because Splash Mountain will be closed, which takes off a significant FP.

On our arrival day, we are checking into Poly, then planning on 2-3 hours at MK to ride PotC, BTMR, and Peter Pan. Plus dinner and throw in another small ride or 2 if time.

First full park day is back at MK. Crowds projected at 4 out of 10. We will RD and hit Space Mtn, Buzz, Tom Speedway and other smaller rides. Considering FP+ for Haunted Mansion @ 10-11am. Planning to ride around 10:45am. Then our other 2 FP will be for Enchanted Tales with Belle and and 7DMT. Then hope to pick up a 4th FP+ for Winnie the Pooh, but it's okay if we miss that ride this day.

We will have one more regular evening at MK and will also be attending MNSSH, so we'll have other chances to repeat rides. And plans to do so.

My hesitation is: what if our flight is delayed (scheduled to land at 3pm) and we don't make it to MK on our arrival day? Will I be left with regret about the Haunted Mansion FP? Such big problems, I know! :P

Is it ever a good idea to use a FP on mid-level attraction??

I'm also close to my FP booking window and am doing the last minute scramble to decide on my FastPass+ selections.

I say it's fine to use a FP on something if it's an important ride to you. Say for some crazy reason the park is unusually busy and the line for Haunted Mansion is really long...will you regret possibly missing it? It is a harder question given MNSSHP where there are typically shorter than average waits, so that might give you an opportunity...depending on how many rides you plan on doing during MNSSHP, in addition to the special party stuff.

And a little off topic, but I somehow totally missed that Splash will be down during my stay, so I'm glad you mentioned that! Back to the drawing board for that FP...:crazy2:

Haunted mansion FP 10-11 imo is too early as it will likely still be a short wait. But a Haunted Mansion FP in general can be very beneficial. It's the norm for it to have a 30-45 min wait

I agree that 10:00 - 11:00 is too early for a Haunted Mansion FP to really be beneficial, but an HM FP can save a good amount of time later in the day. To that end, I would suggest getting your HM fast pass on arrival day, and making your 10-11 FP on your full MK day for Peter Pan, which will probably have an hour plus wait at that time.

If you get there and it's a short wait you can always switch it to a later Winnie the Pooh and just do standby. The three you mentioned for your first MK day also seem to have availability for passes the night before, so if something happens you can switch things up at that point.

If you get there and it's a short wait you can always switch it to a later Winnie the Pooh and just do standby.

This.

In fact, if you get there and HM is a short wait, you can always switch the FP to a later...
ANYTHING that's available.

You can change your mind right up until you are ready to enter the attraction.

Use it on what you like, no one here can tell you you're wrong. In terms of saving time, there are other FPs that will save more than an HM FP will most of the time. The FP FAQ includes a list of them prioritized in terms of saving time.
The list mentioned above is super helpful. I refer to it every trip. That said we've used FP for HM. It's a favorite of ours and we have seen lines get to 45 minutes or so and prefer not to wait that long. As mentioned by a pp if the line is short change the FP and enjoy the interactive queue.

I love HM and usually get a fastspass for it! However, I wouldn't book it that early. I start my FPs around 11-12 because before that the lines are generally short. If you do it for like 1pm you'll save more time imo!

I'm also close to my FP booking window and am doing the last minute scramble to decide on my FastPass+ selections.

I say it's fine to use a FP on something if it's an important ride to you. Say for some crazy reason the park is unusually busy and the line for Haunted Mansion is really long...will you regret possibly missing it? It is a harder question given MNSSHP where there are typically shorter than average waits, so that might give you an opportunity...depending on how many rides you plan on doing during MNSSHP, in addition to the special party stuff.

And a little off topic, but I somehow totally missed that Splash will be down during my stay, so I'm glad you mentioned that! Back to the drawing board for that FP...:crazy2:
Everyone in our party wants to ride HM, so we do want to get to it. But, you're right, we would have plenty of opportunity to get to it during MNSSHP, if not before! Also, the queue is fun. Good thought! Thanks!

And yes, to Splash being down. Such a bummer, huh??? We're still having trouble getting over it. Ha!

Use it on what you like, no one here can tell you you're wrong. In terms of saving time, there are other FPs that will save more than an HM FP will most of the time. The FP FAQ includes a list of them prioritized in terms of saving time.
I've read through the FP FAQ probably 2 dozen times, which is why considering this choice feels all the more wrong. Haha! By the way, thanks for all of your work in getting that together in such a clear manner! So appreciated by many!!

I agree that 10:00 - 11:00 is too early for a Haunted Mansion FP to really be beneficial, but an HM FP can save a good amount of time later in the day. To that end, I would suggest getting your HM fast pass on arrival day, and making your 10-11 FP on your full MK day for Peter Pan, which will probably have an hour plus wait at that time.
Hm... That IS something to consider! DD will also be dressed as Tinker Bell and headed to the BBB at noon. Could be fun to save Peter Pan for that day.

This.

In fact, if you get there and HM is a short wait, you can always switch the FP to a later...
ANYTHING that's available.

You can change your mind right up until you are ready to enter the attraction.
Very true! Thanks!!

I've read through the FP FAQ probably 2 dozen times, which is why considering this choice feels all the more wrong. Haha! By the way, thanks for all of your work in getting that together in such a clear manner! So appreciated by many!!

Please don't. I try to emphasize that personal choice is an important consideration, and that the list is based solely on saving time.

Between you and me :): years ago, I used a coveted "anytime" FP on Small World. I did it because that's what my young daughter wanted to do. I knew it made no logical sense, but that didn't matter to me that day.

Peter Pan and HM are my two go-to FP for MK nearly every time I visit. I'm usually booking them between noon and 4pm, and it can be hot with a long line during those times. Use FP for what you like and what you want to do.

If your arrival day goes according to plan, and you manage to ride HM using standby that day, it will be easier most of the time to switch your FP the night before than day of (depending on your party size). So that might be something to consider as well.

Please don't. I try to emphasize that personal choice is an important consideration, and that the list is based solely on saving time.

Between you and me :): years ago, I used a coveted "anytime" FP on Small World. I did it because that's what my young daughter wanted to do. I knew it made no logical sense, but that didn't matter to me that day.
It's the kids that always make us do the non-logical things! ;)

I think I'm going to take @Crispity 's advice and book a HM FP for our arrival day. I'm going to make it our first one of that evening. That way if our flight is delayed, it's no big problem. That also helps to keep us staying over in Adventureland/Frontierland area for that evening. Then will try to get a 10am FP to Peter Pan's flight on our first full park day. I think that really makes A LOT more sense for us in a number of ways (walking, timing, and even DD's being dressed like Tink).

I almost didn't ask this question - so glad I did!! Thanks all!

It's the kids that always make us do the non-logical things! ;)

I think I'm going to take @Crispity 's advice and book a HM FP for our arrival day. I'm going to make it our first one of that evening. That way if our flight is delayed, it's no big problem. That also helps to keep us staying over in Adventureland/Frontierland area for that evening. Then will try to get a 10am FP to Peter Pan's flight on our first full park day. I think that really makes A LOT more sense for us in a number of ways (walking, timing, and even DD's being dressed like Tink).

I almost didn't ask this question - so glad I did!! Thanks all!

:thumbsup2

I would also recommend doing HM during MNSSHP as the Halloween atmosphere there is pretty cool.

We are hoping it will be avail as. 4th fp option.

On our first full MK day (Jan1st!) we plan on following: (being optimistic that it wont be insane at rope drop due to people being at park so late night before)

Rd straight to Peter Pan
Winnie the Pooh
Haunted Mansion
Adr at Crystal Palace for 1020
(And if time after HM maybe Pirates?)

I am hoping this is doable.

Later in week we are hoping to do HM as. 4th add on. As we just love this attraction. (Fp splash, big thunder, jungle cruise) :)

If its worth it to you, go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!