Thirty to Thirty ... Comments Welcome

Belle Ella

DIS Veteran
hey there, hi there, ho there
you're as welcome as can be

Welcome to my brand-spanking-new WISH Journal. Just another something to keep me honest and open about my fitness progress (because my blog and tumblr apparently aren't enough) and hopefully help to keep me on track as I tackle 30 challenges by my 30th birthday in 2016. That works out to just about a brand new challenge for every month.

Let's get to know me first ...

Name: Jessica
Favorite Disney Character: Snow White
Favorite Disney Movie: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (see a pattern at all?)

The goal is to give myself new challenges every month that will push me towards my ultimate goal: completing my first full marathon - yup, 26.2 miles - for my 30th birthday. Now since I have already decided that my first full marathon will be runDisney's Walt Disney World Marathon I've given myself two opportunities to complete this goal: either the year of my 30th birthday (January 2016) or during my 30th year (January 2017). With other plans I have between now and then I'm not sure which will be financially attainable so I shall plan as I go. I've been running with Disney for a few years now and it's simply something I have my heart set on.

Pretty darn sure I can do it!

As far as challenges go, I've already completed two! My first challenge was to give up soda again by kicking the habit for 30 days which was successful and now here I am going on my third month soda sober. My second challenge was to sign up and run in my first ever color run, which I did last month in Irvine, CA. It was a blast and I absolutely cannot wait to do another someday, and a few other fun runs along the way. Now I've just started my third challenge which is supposed to jump start my persistence in my training by forcing myself to work out for at least 30 minutes every day this month. This is supposed to be fun. This is supposed to make it easier for me to stick to my training program for my next running event, the Disneyland Half Marathon in August. I generally have a problem getting myself started, especially when balancing two jobs, so if I can get myself out there and get myself active it should make it easier down the road.

I'll keep an updated list of each challenge as I make them and update with my progress as often as I can, with an added check in every Wednesday entitled Weigh-In Wednesday for lack of a better snazzy title. Feel free to join me on this adventure and please comment with any thoughts/words of advice/encouragement you may have. I'd love to have you along for the ride.

30 Challenges to 30

1. Quit drinking soda, cold turkey (2 months soda sober and counting)
2. Run the Color Run OC
80bef37e-4da9-407f-917e-e290165ee9df.jpg

3. 30 minutes of exercise for 30 days

Weigh-In Wednesday Index

Week 1 Week 2

This is a great idea. I think I might join along on some of your challenges. I have been wanting to give up pop (soda) for a long time and I think today should just be the day.

I have my own challenge going so I might not do all of them but the soda and working out 30 minutes everyday are definitely doable!

Did you have fun in the color run? I was thinking about signing up for one this summer but was not sure if it was worth the price as compared to other 5ks.

It would be nice to have some company for some of the challenges ;) And each one I make should be easily attainable - I'm not setting myself up for failure, noppers! But they are still meant to be a challenge and to push myself (or anyone else that wants to play along).

Quitting soda has been an ongoin struggle for me for most of my life. The longest I made it before was 6 months and that was when I made a game out of it, similar to what I'm doing. Keeping track of the days and counting down made it easier. But the first days are rough, especially for someone like me who was absolutely addicted to Cokes. Having an easy replacement nearby (lots of waters and tea for me, plus coffee to start) made it easier, as did keeping myself busy with work, but I was a grouchy, tired mess at the start.

I did see your challenge, and I'm going to follow along there! It sounds like a fun idea. I'd be done in a day though, if I was running to Disneyland. 3.something miles. Easiest goal ever.

As for the Color Run, the price is fantastic for me, but I'm used to runDisney prices where a 5K is almost close to $100 these days. Anything under $50 and closer to $30 is going to be worth the cost no matter what. The great thing about the CR is that you have a couple options to save a little $$, like if you register as a team it's about $5 cheaper and sometimes there are other discounts available if you just keep looking. I signed up through my other job as part of a team before preice hikes went up and we paid about $25 each, plus whatever the processing fee was. I paid less than $30 altogether. But it was absolutely worth every penny. The bag they gave us at the event I am in love with, plus a shirt, headband, and some temporary tattoos. Then there was the 5K itself. It's definitely focused on being a fun run, so no timing, lots of walking and families with young children but you can still run if you'd like. Getting blasted with color is hilarious (half of my body was just getting coated at every color spot) and then at the finish they hand out color packets there are lots of different companies with samples, or food options to buy, and a great big party where every so often it's just a color explosion with those packets they hand out at the end. Even if you managed te course with no color, you'll definitely get it at the end. And they were throwing out free prizes like nobodies business.

For the money, it's better than any event I have done period! But definitely go with other people if you ever do. I couldn't find my team at all and while I did have fun, it would have been that much better if I could have been goofing off with other people.

So first let me clarify something: Losing weight is not my number one priority. Yes, I will be happy with shedding a few pounds or more, but I am aware that I am a normal girl at a normal size and would be perfectly content to stay where I am except the whole "I no longer fit into my clothes and I'm too cheap to buy new ones" thing. I've gained about 30 pounds since moving to Anaheim which is mostly frustrating because I was probably underweight to begin with. I'm just looking to be healthy and be active, and a weekly check in sounds like fun. And darnit-all if I can't think of a catchier title! So, moving on ...

Today's big news was the early registration (annual passholders and disney vacation club members get all the fun) for the Star Wars Half Marathon weekend that is taking over the weekend left vacant by my beloved Tinker Bell Half Marathon (i'm shooting for legacy status y'all) moving to Mother's Day weekend. For what I hope are obvious reasons I am no longer an AP holder but my bestest friend in the whole world is and she just so happened to get me in for the Rebel Challenge. It's this crazy notion of running two separate events, a 10K and a half marathon (that's 6.2 and 13.1 miles, respectively), on back to back mornings. Crazy! right? Yeah, it is. But I did it last year with the inaugural Dumbo Double Dare and I am totally down to do it again. I'm even contemplating adding the 5K when general registration opens up on the 10th. What's another 3.1 miles when you've already lost you marbles?

Long story short: I'm in, I'm registered, bye-bye 300-something odd dollars. I never knew ya!

As for my 30 days of exercise challenge, I'm currently sitting pretty (ok, ok - sweaty) at 4 days of uninterrupted 30 minutes or more of working out! That makes me practically perfect to date. My workouts have mostly consisted of a fast-paced yoga routine because of my work schedule, but I did take a trek out to Peters Canyon Regional Park to get in a run/hike the likes of which I have never done before! 5+ miles of dirt trails and hills and it couldn't have been any better! I'm hoping to make my long run days a sort of exploratory thing. We shall see! Next time I hope to get photos because it was definitely a better view than the front of the treadmill at my gym. So here's the breakdown:

6/1 • yoga
6/2 • running @ PCRP 5.7 miles
6/3 • yoga
6/4 • yoga​

This upcoming week I'll be looking to get in a little more variety, but with working Grad Nites until 0330 in the morning that may be a little too ambitious for my blood. But what's life without setting your sights above right? I also need to look into some new easy, no-fuss recipes. I've kind of run dry on everything I know how to make, but at least it's all healthy choices!

Well, I think that's it for today, just one last thing to add since I'm not calling this Weigh-In Wednesday for nothing:

SW • 141.5
CW • 141​

Hello! I just found, and am now following, your thread, and am motivated by it to try my own 30 day challenge (for which aspect of my life that could use improving I haven't decided yet!). I like your approach of making it an achievable goal. Thank you for the idea and motivation.

How you are doing (with your 30 days of exercising challenge) after working late night/early morning 'Grad Nights' hours :crazy2:

Hey, howdy, hey! Thanks for stopping by ;) I know the Diva thread isn't always the chattiest place in the world so it's nice to 'see' you over here. I'm glad to see the idea of (achievable) 30 day goals sounds like a good idea to others than just me. They great thing is, the more we do the more challenging they can get because of the progress we make. I kind of picked up a second 30 day challenge that I'm thinking of incorporating next month but I haven't quite decided. Adding an additional 30 sit-ups each day on top of whatever else I've been doing? Sure, why the heck not.

But I'll explain that better on Wednesday.

Honestly, this week has been hard. Today especially. I totally phoned in my 30 minutes of yoga, but I suppose the point is that I still did it (plus that 30 sit-ups earlier in the day). It's not gonna get any easier this week because on top of the Grad Nite shifts I've also got an early morning dentist appointment to look at something I should have gotten taken care of ages ago. Oops. But constant pain in the jaw is not a fun thing! So I think I'm going to focus more on running for a few days. But I found an awesome running route that's generally the perfect distance for what I need to do and it's super easy to get to considering it's just running around Disneyland! Plus a running buddy and I can totally do this.

Right?

Anyway, let me know when you decided what you're gonna shoot for on your 30 day challenge.

I am sorry to hear of your chronic jaw pain. I hope you can address it successfully. I had the same thing for 7 years now, and I learned several significant things that finally are helping (that two dentists and an endontist missed). Let me know if yours is not easily remedied and if you'd like a couple of pointers that might help you and your dentist. And, again, I'm sorry your jaw is hurting.

I have got to ask this before I fall asleep for the night and then (perhaps intentionally) forget the idea: Since I will be turning 50 in 2017, should I aim for 50 challenges by 50?! What do you think?

As the day has gone by, your idea of committing to a significant number of achievable challenges really appeals to me, even more than I was expecting it to. Cool. Cool!! So glad you are sharing yours here. I might borrow some of your challenges -- I will let you know what my first one is going will be :)

The good news is, I know what the problem is - it's one particular tooth so it should be pretty straight forward? I'm just terrified of the dentist and have put it off a lot longer than I should have.

50 challenges by 50 sounds like fun. Throw in some smaller challenges or some set overall ones that you can do at the same time and it's completely do-able! Start thinking of some possible challenges now. So far I'm only taking it one month at a time, but I'm probably going to start prepping for others down the road as well.

Here we are on another Wednesday and sadly this check in is going to be cut shorter than I had originally intended. It's almost 6 pm here in my neck of the woods and I'm about to start getting ready for work - yes, ready for work at 6 something in the evening. I'll be working another Grad Nite tonight until 3:30 am so lets just say that today has been an awful lot of rest and not much more than that. But I'm happy to say that I didn't slack off (completely) on today's work out in between my morning job, grocery shopping, and what I'm hoping was an adequate nap for tonight's insanity.

But here are some thoughts I wanted to express from this past week:

• My highly unsocial self has made a new running buddy with one of my fellow cast members, and along the way I have discovered that if you run the outlining streets of Disneyland (ball, harbor, disney way and katella) it's almost exactly the perfect distance for my shorter training runs using Jeff Galloway's App through lolo. It's been an adjustment to running outside again vs. all of the treadmill training I have been doing for so long, but I think my body is adapting again fairly well. The big problem has been switching up my training intervals (i am a firm believer in the run/walk method of running) from 1/1 to 1:30/1. The struggle is real, but I haven't dropped dead yet. I still need those walk breaks for my legs but I'm hoping to keep increasing the run segments little by little so I can work my way towards a half marathon time that's under 2:30:00. This is one of my stretch goals rather than one of my immediate goals, but I will make it happen.
  • My new running buddy suggested I check out Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley and is actually only a few miles from where I live. As the name kind of implies, each of the 4 roads that outline the park are pretty much exactly 1 mile each which would make this a pretty great location for some of my longer runs if I simply lap it. For my walk day I decided to head over here but chose instead to keep up a brisk pace and explore the inside of the park. There's not much there by way of trails, but I would definitely go back.
  • I've been a little under the weather as far as my energy goes to complete my yoga workouts. The last two that I've done I haven't been able to complete the entire thing but I've tried and that's what counts. With all of my wrist stretches and strengthening I've been trying to do it's actually getting harder to do some poses so I might look into another at-home option for workouts that doesn't put as much stress on my wrists. I'm going to give this one a little while longer before I finally throw in the towel but it's definitely been an uphill battle this week.
  • I've been a very bad hydrater this week and I really need to step it up a notch as I continue with this journey. 3 words: Drink. More. Water.
  • I've always been looking after different types of runs out there and one I would love to be able to conquer is one of the Spartan races (let's just start with the spartan sprint, thanks) because it's as much a mental challenge as it is a physical one. But following them on Facebook introduced me to their #Spartan30 challenge which this month has been to include 30 situps, every day, in addition to whatever workout routine you follow. I figured why the heck not and so I've started to do an additional 30 situps every day and I hope to continue that, and add in whatever they might introduce in July as well.

I think that's just about all there was of note this week. I should really start taking notes though, because I honestly cannot remember half of the things I did. Life has been that much of a blur.

But here's the breakdown:

6/5 • training run | 3 miles
6/6 • yoga | 30 minutes
6/7 • training run | 3 miles + 30 sit-ups
6/8 • walking | 45 minutes + 30 situps
6/9 • yoga | 30 minutes + 30 sit-ups
6/10 • long run | 6 miles + 30 sit-ups
c96b2ca0-3ae7-4019-94b6-ea783e27da61.jpg

6/11 • yoga | 30 minutes + 30 situps​

All in all, I'm still not sure how I survived this week. But somehow I will do it again next week. Grad Nites are not over yet (I'm working one tonight in fact) so there's still some real struggle up ahead for my sleep patters but I refuse to use that as an excuse!

Another one down. Let's meet up again same time next week, shall we? I'll leave off with one last set of numbers:

LW • 141
CW • 139.5​

Wow!! Congrats on your daily fitness schedule, particularly in light of your rigorous work schedule!! I admire your incredible stamina! :worship: as well as your commitment to your goals! :thumbsup2

(I am super busy at work currently, and will post again this weekend, but want you to know I support you! :cheer2: And, thanks to you, I am looking forward to some '50 by 50' challenges... details to come.)

Take care, and hydrate well :)

Well, it looks as though I wont be reaching the full 30 days of exercise point for this months challenge. My dentist appointment yesterday morning ended with one root canal, and a plan of treatment that will include one more root canal, one filling, a wisdom tooth extraction and a little disinfecting. Basically my life right now is a prime example of reasons why you don't avoid the dentist. I have certainly learned my lesson and now that I have dental insurance again you had better believe I will take the care of my teeth a lot more seriously than I ever have. Which is all on me, I know it is.

But isn't that the whole point of what I'm doing right now? Learning to take care of myself and my body the way I should have been all along, before it's too late? Even if those weren't the words I was using at the start, the thought was definitely there.

I did know this was coming; I had 2 broken teeth that I didn't get taken care of because of lack of dental insurance until this month (and lets face it, i was terrified of going as well). It's just a whole other story when you're facing the reality of it. And now I've got a hefty bill I will be paying off for the next 24 months, but lets look on the bright side because it sure as heck beats dying from an infection in my mouth.

In the long run I'll have to readjust some of my stretch goals, like running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon next year for the Coast to Coast challenge and possibly even those full Walt Disney World Marathon plans down the road (i wont cancel my plans to run a marathon for my 30th, they just might have to be closer to home and a lot cheaper).

But in the here and now, I didn't get my exercise in yesterday. I barely got sleep before the dentist and then that took almost all day. Add in the painkillers and the soreness in my jaw and I didn't even go to work last night, let alone go for a run or anything else. But hey, I will be getting right back out there today after work for a 3 mile run - even if I have to walk the whole thing. I've gotta do something to keep myself occupied while waiting for my carpool-buddy to get off work, don't I?

I just have to remind myself: I didn't set these goals so that I could berate myself when they don't work out according to plan. Missing one day does not make this month a failure and is not an excuse to give up. I. Can. Do. This.

Wow!! Congrats on your daily fitness schedule, particularly in light of your rigorous work schedule!! I admire your incredible stamina! :worship: as well as your commitment to your goals! :thumbsup2

(I am super busy at work currently, and will post again this weekend, but want you to know I support you! :cheer2: And, thanks to you, I am looking forward to some '50 by 50' challenges... details to come.)

Take care, and hydrate well :)

First of all, thank you! If I haven't outright said it yet, I am so glad to have you along for the journey. I've tried things like this before and every time I do I have noticed that a real big difference between sticking with it and just letting things slide is having someone there along the way, be it someone literally running stride for stride right next to you, or the support that we can offer here on the internet: it makes a huge difference. You've already helped me make a difference for myself this time. So, thank you!

And I'm looking forward to being there for your journey as well!

Oh, and I'm totally have a nice, ice cold glass of water right now! :drinking1 (i don't think he's drinking water ...) In my favorite Snow White glass, because if I haven't mentioned it yet, I'm obsessed.

Hopefully you can find a way to have some fun with work, even if it's super busy!

But isn't that the whole point of what I'm doing right now? Learning to take care of myself and my body the way I should have been all along, before it's too late? Even if those weren't the words I was using at the start, the thought was definitely there.

I just have to remind myself: I didn't set these goals so that I could berate myself when they don't work out according to plan. Missing one day does not make this month a failure and is not an excuse to give up. I. Can. Do. This.

This is precisely what your posts have done for me, from the first time I read your plan -- I thought: Wow, I can imagine the down-the-road benefits of making some achievable, fun, light-hearted, life/health improving goals... goals that are not extreme but instead are 'close to home,' that will help me personally at a more fundamental level (instead of my usual 'heavy' goals like "I'm going to run much faster, do many more miles, grow more of my own food, cut back even more in my water conservation"... all fine goals, but life is already full of these heavier kinds of efforts, and I would like to try something new, that of making my personal goals healthy, fun, light -- and accepting that the outcome of each goal is, well, flexible).

You have me considering goals that **do not** produce anxiety when contemplated or pursued, but instead are light and fun and healthy... the kind of goals that when they are compromised (as you have recently posted that yours were this week) carry no penalty... Kind of the opposite of a 'life-or-death' matter... you just continue smiling and continue on...

What a sound and conscious perspective you are developing (and sharing) on the value of balance in your health, your goals, and your overall mindset. Clearly, you are one of those unusual, wise-beyond-your-years youngsters :)

I bet we'll come to find that if we make the small goals and as we conquer them, we'll be able to finally conquer those 'heavy' goals, but they wont seem so heavy because we broke them down over a longer period of time. Create new lifestyle habits to take over the ones we are trying to change or get rid of.

Life is already stressful enough, we should be able to enjoy it and still be healthy, right?

And thank you so much for the kind words!

The tooth itself is fine, thankfully. But the rest of my jaw is in pain. Mostly the location from the shots to numb my mouth and then the other side because that's the only side of my mouth I can chew on which has become harder. Right now I can't eat anything unless it's liquid or super soft and room temperature. So I'm mostly eating applesauce. It's kind of pathetic actually. It's making working out really, really hard!

I go back on Tuesday to finish up the tooth on the right side of my mouth. Then I get to go through everything all over again.

The tooth itself is fine, thankfully. But the rest of my jaw is in pain. Mostly the location from the shots to numb my mouth and then the other side because that's the only side of my mouth I can chew on which has become harder. Right now I can't eat anything unless it's liquid or super soft and room temperature. So I'm mostly eating applesauce. It's kind of pathetic actually. It's making working out really, really hard!

I go back on Tuesday to finish up the tooth on the right side of my mouth. Then I get to go through everything all over again.

I am so sorry for your pains :( I hope hope hope that yours improve (current and future teeth). My triple root-canal-ed tooth is better than it was five months ago. I am very glad you are addressing your teeth now. We both need to keep at it and be patient.

I know what it is like to try to train through discomfort and pain and poor nutrition. It is exasperating when one of the things that makes you feel better (running/physical exertion) is compromised and thus weakened in its feel-good/healing powers.

I have a recommendation: protein powder. I have a permanent medical condition that makes adequate nutrition a challenge, which, as you know, makes athletic endeavors very difficult. Over the years, I have found that protein powder from hemp and rice help me tremendously (all the essential amino acids included in these). I could get really (too?) detailed here. Let me get to the recommendation directly:

Product: Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein - 15 grams
The Nutiva brand also makes a lower protein higher fiber variety. I recommend the higher protein.

Product: Nutribiotic Organic Rice Protein - Vanilla
The organic is more expensive than the non-organic, but it tastes quite a bit better to me, better enough to make me select it (and I am a penny-pincher).

I aim to get 20-40 grams of protein from the protein powders every day. I blend it into smoothies, add it to rice pasta (hemp variety), add it to grains like rice, buckwheat, oatmeal, and even add it to plain cold water
-- shake up and drink, knowing you are really helping your health. You can bring this last version on-the-road like to work, out hiking, post-workout: either make it ahead of time or by put the powder in a plastic bottle, when you are ready to drink, add water and ice if available, shake, drink, and smile. If you use sweeteners, sugar or other, you can add that, too. I have added cocoa powder (yum!).

I bet you could add a small amount of protein powder to your apple sauce. One tablespoon of the rice protein powder mentioned would give you 14 grams of protein.

It is not cheap, but worth every penny. The best deal for both hemp and rice is the 3-lb size. You could get a smaller size to try. Or just commit to the 3-lb size and enjoy the cost savings. Price shop and buy online for substantial savings. I am about to order more of both. Let me know if you want the results of my price shopping (where I decide to purchase them from).

I am past thirty but love this idea! I am hoping in 30 days to be cleared for exercise again. I plan on living vicariously here. I am in for the Star Wars half. It's the first I ever have signed up for sooooo yeah. :)

Thanks to you, Jessica, I am starting three of my Jessica's-Thirty-to-Thirty-Inspired challenges today!! I am posting this not to hijack your journal, but just so you know that you truly have inspired me.

My version is 50 by 50 (committing to be successful at 50 tasks for 50 days in a row before I turn 50). I have about 3 years to complete them and so will do 2 and sometimes 3 at a time. I think I will be able to do one that takes some time each day, and others that don't take time but are modifications.

Using your/Jessica's structure, I feel excited and confident that I am going to accomplish them, daily, for the next 50 days! The first three are:

Fifty minutes of exercise
No soda -- you accomplished this one already! :worship:
No food after 2 pm

If I am able to practice these three things for 50 days in a row, I will be much healthier. And, I am hoping for long-standing healthy habits. Thanks, Jessica!

I know you have another dental procedure tomorrow. I hope it goes smoothly, and that full recovery and pain-free eating are soon to follow.

I am past thirty but love this idea! I am hoping in 30 days to be cleared for exercise again. I plan on living vicariously here. I am in for the Star Wars half. It's the first I ever have signed up for sooooo yeah. :)

Glad to have you along for the ride. And it's very exciting to have your first half marathon to look forward to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter