• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This article was in todays Orlando paper

perdidobay

<font color=green>Will work for travel ;-)<br><fon
Cleanings help limit cruise-line illnesses

By Robert Johnson | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted December 13, 2002

Cruise ships' efforts to disinfect themselves are working even though 25 more cases of gastrointestinal illness have broken out this week on the Disney Cruise Line ship Magic, the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday.

"I think it's absolutely safe to go on cruises," said David Forney, chief of the CDC's vessel-sanitation unit. "Ideally, we would like to say there are no illnesses on the ships, but that's just not the case."

More than 1,000 passengers on ships sailing out of three Florida ports have come down with the vomiting and diarrhea associated with Norwalk virus during the past month.

The Magic was taken out of service for a week on Nov. 30 after a virus sickened hundreds of passengers on two earlier trips out of Port Canaveral. A seven-day cruise was canceled to clear the ship of passengers and crew and leave time for a more thorough cleaning.

Hundreds of other passengers became sick aboard Holland America Line's Amsterdam, Carnival Cruise Lines' Fascination and P&O Cruises' Oceana, all sailing out of South Florida.

The CDC on Thursday released figures indicating that, although diarrhea outbreaks on cruise ships have declined dramatically since the late 1970s, they may have risen this year compared with a year earlier.

There were 27 outbreaks for every 100,000 passenger-days in the 1970s, compared with only 3.7 outbreaks from 1996 to 2000. A passenger-day is one passenger on a cruise ship for one day.

CDC officials said their 2001-02 data haven't been converted to passenger-day figures yet. But while last year there were seven outbreaks on U.S. cruise ships, including four confirmed as Norwalk virus, this year there have been 21 outbreaks, including nine confirmed as Norwalk.

They said the two-dozen illnesses reported on Magic's current cruise are to be expected when any large cruise ship goes to sea with thousands of people.

"We'd like the number to be zero, but it's not surprising given what's happening across the globe," Disney Cruise Line spokesman Mark Jaronski said. "All the cruise lines are doing what they can, but it's a stomach bug and, as the CDC said, it's everywhere they look."

He said the Magic's next cruise, which begins Saturday, is close to fully booked, with more than 2,300 passengers.

Among the precautions taken after the illnesses on the Magic earlier this month: Buffets that normally are self-serve are staffed with servers wearing plastic gloves, Jaronski said.

Emelia Polin, a New Jersey mother who was on this week's Magic cruise, was put ashore at her request in the Cayman Islands on Tuesday after one of her two daughters vomited.

"Disney is paranoid," she said. "They ordered us to keep one of our girls in our room for 72 hours after she vomited once, and we took her to the infirmary."

When Polin protested the quarantine, Disney officials gave her the option of an early departure and partial refund, Jaronski said. Disney also paid for airline tickets home for the family.

Jaronski said the 72-hour quarantine is a CDC policy, not Disney's.

"Only the sick child was required to stay in the room," he said. When a guest is quarantined, nurses periodically phone the room to check on the patient and will visit if further care is required, he added.

The last part about the woman who got off in the Caymens upsets me some....why would Disney expect her to continue on a cruise with one daughter under 72 hour lockdown just because she threw up once? What's she supposed to do? Leave that child alone with a "nurse occasionally phoning in" ??????? Or try to keep the other child locked up in the room and try to keep it happy? If this is what they do to you when you see the ship's doctor, I can see this causing people trying to keep their illness quiet.... I know it's a no-win situation all around, it isn't Disney's rule, but still? Was it paranoid on Disney's part?

I don't understand....people complain Disney isn't doing enough, then they complain Disney does too much (if it interfers with their vacation). Can't please everyone. I do not know what I would have done with my child...if they had no other episodes after 24 hours, I would have to assume she did not really have the "virus" and maybe the vomiting was attributed to something else.

MJ

I understand what you're saying, but I find it unrealistic for Disney to say that only one person is under quarantine. Do they really expect parents to leave a child alone in a room, a sick child at that?

I see nothing wrong in Disney's request for the 72-hour quarantine as it is mandated by CDC. It is the only way to stop the spread of it.

I think Disney went out of their way to offer the option of a partial refund to the family and offer to fly them home early. I think it is more than other ships have done.

You can't have it both ways. As MJ said - people complain Disney isn't doing enough - then that they are doing too much.

Sad to see a vacation spoiled like that but if Disney doesn't follow the CDC guidelines they are opening themselves up for a lot more trouble (and a lot more ruined vacations).

I agree, wdwlvr, it is a mandate from the CDC. I have seen on other posts that when kids have been sick in their cabins the crew has gone out of their way to make them as comfortable as possible. As a parent, I'm not sure that I would want to try and take a sick child anywhere anyway and I wouldn't have minded staying in the stateroom for one day to make sure that they were okay. Not ideal for a vacation, but better to lose one day than disrupt the rest of the week. I say it would have been a small price to pay.

Besides, who would have wanted to sit next to this child or be where they have been? The ship is hyper-aware of the quickness that this stuff can spread and is trying to stop it before it gets started.

So if the one sick child is kept in the room and the rest of the family is free to come and go from that room --- woudln't they in fact be still spreading all of the germs from the ill child?
:confused:
If the child only vomitted once and then appeared to be okay it could easily have been a reaction to eating different types of foods than is in her regular diet. Sometimes I think that the parent can only be the best judge of that.

Well guys....been reading these posts regarding people being sick this week on the Magic....and yes....it is possible DCL overracted....and my opinion on this might night be popular...but I think they overreacted canceling the 11/30 sailing...and not just because I was on that sailing.....since when all is said and done I got a great price on next years cruise.....but I myself would probably keep it to myself if I got a dose of diarrea or started throwing up....we were on the 12/1 sailing of the Wonder and on Monday night there was a 12 year old boy throwing up into the garbage pail by the deck 6 aft. elevators. It is entirely possible that the kid ate something at dinner that just did not agree with him...so should he have had to stay in his cabin the rest of the cruise? Tough call.....but I do believe that whatever was happening on the cruise they wanted and did keep it very quiet. I guess if it gets out someone sits down at the internet cafe and posts it and then it is out.....Just don't know what the right answer is........
Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter