this doesn't make sense - low crowd weekend but no resorts available?

NashvilleMama

DIS Veteran
Hi all. Investigating a relatively last minute trip the first weekend of November (3-5th). TouringPlans crowd calendar says 3 out of 10 crowds but there are almost NO resort reservations available, outside of a handful of pricey deluxe rooms.

Is the crowd calendar that out of whack or what am I doing wrong, possibly?

Hi all. Investigating a relatively last minute trip the first weekend of November (3-5th). TouringPlans crowd calendar says 3 out of 10 crowds but there are almost NO resort reservations available, outside of a handful of pricey deluxe rooms.

Is the crowd calendar that out of whack or what am I doing wrong, possibly?
That's the Wine and Dine Half Marathon weekend, so that's probably why you're not seeing a lot of room availability but the crowd calendars are low.

oh geez. So is that a bad weekend to go for a short weekend 2-day park visit on Friday and Saturday?

Well, from what I've read the people participating in the race don't impact the parks much, but they do impact hotel availability (obviously). I don't think it's a terrible weekend to go, you just might be paying more if you want to stay on site!

awesome, thanks! Airfare is super low and the crowds looked promising so I got all excited....appreciate the quick input!!

We booked in late June or early July for Nov 3-9th. We originally wanted the 2nd through the 8th, but even back then we couldn't find any family suites for the 2nd.

The final payments for those dates are due next week, so maybe more will open up between now and then.

There's some correlation between park crowds and resort occupancy, but not as much as you'd think. There are events all year that fill resorts, but not necessarily parks. Marathons, kids' sports competitions, conventions, and more.

Marathons don't affect park too much (except for maybe January's). We went last year during Star Wars Marathon and the parks weren't bad at all.

We're planning MK on Friday and DHS on Saturday so hopefully will be ok - considering we normally go during spring break and other peak times, I have a feeling it'll all feel great to me if it's anywhere near the 2-4 levels the calendar says! I'm used to 8-9 levels. :)

I wouldn’t underestimate the F&W Half and its impact on crowds, mainly at Epcot, that Sunday.

Yes, this! We were there that weekend a few years ago and decided to eat dinner at MP one evening. By the time we left MP, the France pavilion was overrun by "revelers" from the race who definitely were not planning on running the next day, if you catch my drift. Running tutus and flutes of champagne everywhere. It was pretty funny but we scrambled DS out of there pretty quickly. If I didn't have my "mom" hat on that evening, I might have joined in!

Not sure if it matters, but I'm doing a 2-night stay in Oct on a lower crowd weekend and availability is limited but it opens up if I extend my dates. I called and was told that resorts can impose minimum-night stays if they choose.

And, yes, I know there's technically not a 'minimum' policy but I've spoken to 4 CMs and they've all give the same info (and wouldn't let me book the room I wanted).

I'm going to try again right before my 5-day out mark.

Not sure if it matters, but I'm doing a 2-night stay in Oct on a lower crowd weekend and availability is limited but it opens up if I extend my dates. I called and was told that resorts can impose minimum-night stays if they choose.

And, yes, I know there's technically not a 'minimum' policy but I've spoken to 4 CMs and they've all give the same info (and wouldn't let me book the room I wanted).

I'm going to try again right before my 5-day out mark.

When you call back, ask to speak to Guest Services. They are the ones who can override the system and allow you to book a shorter stay. They sometimes say no, but they are the only ones who can do it.

And just for clarity purposes, it's not the resorts not letting you book a shorter stay. It's the revenue maximizing system that tries to eliminate "orphaned" rooms, rooms that sit unoccupied for a night or 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter