This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

This grandfather is a complete loser, the absolute last thing in your universe that can’t happen is that child falling from that window on your watch and yet you still find a way for it to happen.....he should have jumped out after her, freaking bum. Too many people on this planet are either too proud or egotistical to understand their limitations. Most people can’t drive sober so drinking and or fiddling with your phone shouldn’t even cross your mind (for example) we aren’t that good folks, I see people prove it everyday....Understand your limitations for gods sake

Wow. So much judgment when no one knows what happened at this point. Reports are varied, based on traumatized witnesses, local authorities who might be dealing with a language barrier, news reports that may or may not be reliable. I try to wrap my head around the insta reaction of people who weren't there to claim ultimate authority of knowledge and subsequent condemnation. Does it make "us" feel better because we can immediately assign blame while subsequently patting ourselves on the back that we would never commit the sin we're certain occurred? I have visions of pitch forks and burning stakes, while most of what we "know" hasn't been confirmed or collaborated. This terrible tragedy happened Sunday. The family is going through incomprehensible pain. Can we at least have an ounce of compassion and withhold the firing squad until the investigation can be completed?

Why the HECK did he think sitting a toddler on an open window ledge 150 feet off the ground was a good idea? Come on.

CBS news is still saying she was sitting on the window ledge and she slipped out of the grandfather's grasp. :sad1:

Both sets of grandparents were on a trip with the parents & children. It could be the first time the grandfather got to spend some real time with the toddler. He may not have had a real clue how they can turn into all squirmy arms & legs, all of a sudden, while holding them. :eek: And that a little kid can pitch themselves with more force than you'd think their 25 lbs could do.

:confused3 Maybe she & the grandfather went for a little walk. They ended up along the wall of windows. But, at 18 months old, she's not really comprehending what's out there & losing interest. Someone else had possibly left the window open after they just had to take the perfect vacation photo. They didn't want to do it through a pane of glass. So they opened the window & unfortunately left it open. The grandfather heard noises out the open window and thought his little granddaughter might see or hear something interesting through the open window so her perched her on it.

As Mackenzie said above about the Bellagio fountain, he wasn't thinking danger. His focus was on keeping her occupied & interested in something. Maybe she did hear something and she lunged forward with all her weight, to look, and he didn't have a good grasp on her. :sad:

The "dangling" narrative all seems to go back to the quote(s) from the Puerto Rican official who talked to the press about the case. Which makes me think maybe something was lost in translation. It is really easy to picture how an accident like this could happen without any dangling involved - Grandpa lifts the little girl up so she can see out the window from "adult" height, maybe even rests her weight on the window sill while thinking she's safe because he has his arms around her. But then something happens - he stumbles or is bumped just as she squirms - and he loses what he thought was a secure grip, with tragic results. To me, that seems far more plausible than the idea that he was deliberately dangling a baby out of the window in the pictures.
Between the pics and the multiple reports, GP sitting her on the window sill seems very plausible. And beyond stupid. Stone me for being harsh, but I cannot imagine doing this unless you are impaired. In what kind of mind is this a good idea? The child could have seen just fine standing on the floor and looking through a closed window.

I heard this story on the news earlier, with no visuals of the ship, and the newscaster explained it as "the grandfather was holding the child up to a balcony that was normally encased in glass", and I couldn't understand what they meant. Now that I see the photo someone posted, it looks like all of those other windows are shut, but it looks like the glass is missing or the window open on only one of those squares. So I'm thinking the grandfather was holding her up to see outside, not realizing that particular spot was open with no glass, and she fell through. Maybe with his age poor eye sight also played into that.

At any rate, SO tragic for that child and her family. Even to be another passenger on that ship would be devastating I think, I wouldn't be able to stop thinking of the family's grief and loss. My heart goes out to them

CBS news is still saying she was sitting on the window ledge and she slipped out of the grandfather's grasp. :sad1:

Both sets of grandparents were on a trip with the parents & children. It could be the first time the grandfather got to spend some real time with the toddler. He may not have had a real clue how they can turn into all squirmy arms & legs, all of a sudden, while holding them. :eek: And that a little kid can pitch themselves with more force than you'd think their 25 lbs could do.

:confused3 Maybe she & the grandfather went for a little walk. They ended up along the wall of windows. But, at 18 months old, she's not really comprehending what's out there & losing interest. Someone else had possibly left the window open after they just had to take the perfect vacation photo. They didn't want to do it through a pane of glass. So they opened the window & unfortunately left it open. The grandfather heard noises out the open window and thought his little granddaughter might see or hear something interesting through the open window so her perched her on it.

As Mackenzie said above about the Bellagio fountain, he wasn't thinking danger. His focus was on keeping her occupied & interested in something. Maybe she did hear something and she lunged forward with all her weight, to look, and he didn't have a good grasp on her. :sad:
I think you're closer, but still not fully accurate. Those windows on the ship open for ventilation. Blaming another passenger for opening the window so they could take "the perfect vacation photo" is unnecessary. All we truly know is the grandparent was holding the child and the child fell through the window. Here's what I think happened...

The child was either walking with the GP or he was carrying her. If they were walking, he picked her up to look out the window. He stepped up tot he rail and she squirmed or something else happened so she fell out of his arms. The one in a million event happened and she went through the window.

Windows on the pool/lido deck are usually opened by crew members in good weather.

Windows on the pool/lido deck are usually opened by crew members in good weather.
I also saw on the news, in a bit by a lawyer, that the grandfather did not know the window was open because it was clear and he thought it was glass. What? I have been on these ships where they open the windows by the pool area for ventilation. You can tell the window is open, just like any other window that is open, anywhere. That seems like a lawyer made up statement.
My heart goes out to this family.

People who have been on a cruise have a much better understanding of how the windows are situated on the pool deck.
Honestly, I’ve been on tons of cruises, including on this exact ship and I’ve never once noticed “windows” that open. I’ve been wracking my brain trying to remember ever seeing anything like what’s in the pictures. When I first read of this tragedy I immediately assumed he had been sitting her on top of a balcony rail; a reckless action I’m sure has been done countless times.

It is a horror that the grandpa’s momentary thoughtless action resulted in the death of this precious child, which arguably was 100% preventable. But then again so are almost all accidental tragedies if only one thing, either done or not done, had been different. :sad:

Having been extremely close to a similar situation IRL has given me a completely different level of compassion for anyone involved. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - those who assert that something of this kind could never, ever happen to them because they are too smart and too careful are just whistling in the dark. None of us can really even comprehend how quickly our simplest, most mundane circumstances can turn perilous. I pray for grace and peace on everyone involved in this devastating, life-altering loss. :flower3:

I honestly don’t know how the grandfather or the parents can go on to live after this tragedy.
:sad1: It will be difficult, and undoubtedly their lives and relationships have been altered forever. Time won’t erase the grief, anger and guilt they all will be feeling. Life does go on, as any grieving parent will tell you, but not the life one ever imagined.

I have never been on a cruise ship, can someone who has explain if it is possible to mistake an open window for a pane of glass?
Common sense tells me that it isn't possible, but is there something unique about the windows used on a cruise ship that I am unaware of?

I can't imagine what the family is going through. They lost their baby and the one responsible is your own father (or FIL), that can't be an easy reality to grasp at this time. I understand they would try to seek answers and blame elsewhere instead of with him, but I think it is pretty far fetched to think there was a glass window in front of you when there wasn't and blame the cruise ship for that.

I find it strange to assume it's okay to pound on any windows or glass like you would at a hockey arena where the "glass" is plastic designed to be repeatedly battered by flying pucks. We spent a fortune to replace our living room window because code requires it to be tempered as it's less than ten inches off the floor. It's bigger than a standard doorwall so it was particularly pricey to get a custom tempered window made to fit the space.

I have never been on a cruise ship, can someone who has explain if it is possible to mistake an open window for a pane of glass?
Common sense tells me that it isn't possible, but is there something unique about the windows used on a cruise ship that I am unaware of?

I can't imagine what the family is going through. They lost their baby and the one responsible is your own father (or FIL), that can't be an easy reality to grasp at this time. I understand they would try to seek answers and blame elsewhere instead of with him, but I think it is pretty far fetched to think there was a glass window in front of you when there wasn't and blame the cruise ship for that.
The short answer is "no". Any sympathy I had has all but gone out the window (sorry).

The short answer is "no". Any sympathy I had has all but gone out the window (sorry).

I figured that but you never know.
I still have sympathy, the family is going through so much right now they are most likely not thinking logically about anything. I will cut them some slack, but if this does turn in to some lawsuit in the future I wouldn't be siding with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!