This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

lynxstch

I Love Figment
Toddler Dies After Grandfather Dangles Her From Cruise ShipNewser - By Evann Gastaldo1 hour ago

A family cruise turned tragic Sunday afternoon when an 18-month-old girl died after her grandfather dangled her outside an 11th-story window on the ship and then lost his grip.
Authorities tell the AP the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas was docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico, at the time. Fox News, citing Puerto Rico's Primera Hora newspaper, reports that the Indiana toddler apparently fell 150 feet and landed on concrete.
She was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

"It's a very grave scene, very regrettable and tragic," a public security official in Puerto Rico tells Primera Hora, per CBS News.
"One of the grandfathers, whom it would appear was playing with the little girl, lifted her out of the open window and lost his grip." He says she hit an awning first before landing on the dock.
She was reportedly traveling with her parents and younger brother, as well as both her maternal and paternal grandparents. An investigation is ongoing, and officials are interviewing witnesses, Sky News reports.

Oh my, that horrible. I can't imagine doing that and then how he feels with the result....so sad

Something wrong with that man to think that that was ever ok.

I dont feel sorry for him I feel sorry for the rest of their family.

I read an article that said he was holding her near an open window, and one linked in the OP that said
The police chief of South Bend, Indiana, Scott Ruszkowski, confirmed to CBS affiliate WSBT-TV that the girl was the daughter of Officer Alan Wiegand, and the department issued a statement saying it "asks the community to pray for the entire Wiegand family as they grieve and to respect their privacy."
Ruszkowski disputed the statement issued by Puerto Rico police that the girl was being held out of a window.

I had the same thought as you at first but this may have really been an accident. He may not have been dangling her out a window, he could have simply lost his grip on her while near a window.

I tried to get the link on here but I'm having issues...latest I've just read indicated they were near the window and the grandfather slipped.
Not sure what it what, regardless I just can't imagine coming back from that. How horrible.

I read an article that said he was holding her near an open window, and one linked in the OP that said
The police chief of South Bend, Indiana, Scott Ruszkowski, confirmed to CBS affiliate WSBT-TV that the girl was the daughter of Officer Alan Wiegand, and the department issued a statement saying it "asks the community to pray for the entire Wiegand family as they grieve and to respect their privacy."
Ruszkowski disputed the statement issued by Puerto Rico police that the girl was being held out of a window.

I had the same thought as you at first but this may have really been an accident. He may not have been dangling her out a window, he could have simply lost his grip on her while near a window.
Ok. I'd read other reports, too, and they all said dangling. If it was an accident because she was sitting near a window, then that's different. It would be nice if stories could be reported accurately.

Tragic regardless, but I did read one story that said he was holding her out a window, and then another saying they were in a dining room and she was sitting near an open window. He will never forgive himself either way I am sure, but it does sound like it may have been more of a true accident than it initially sounded.

Not only do you not dangle a child out of a window, you don't even let a child near an open window. 😟
We had a friend whose son was full body pressed to his screen in his upstairs window trying to see his siblings playing outside. Luckily the screen did not fall out...but still. Everyone in our group pretty much duct taped their windows shut after that.

I'm no cruise ship expert, for those of you who have been on these large cruise ships - are open windows like this the norm?

Ok. I'd read other reports, too, and they all said dangling. If it was an accident because she was sitting near a window, then that's different. It would be nice if stories could be reported accurately.

I wish we knew the facts, I hate to jump to conclusions about the grandfather if it was truly an accident.

Not only do you not dangle a child out of a window, you don't even let a child near an open window. 😟

From the limited info out there I read that he was holding her near an open window. That isn't the same as letting her near one IMO.
Maybe it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but how many of us have done things like that? My kids are all grown but I'm sure if I looked back at all the things that I should have never done it would probably be many, but nothing tragic ever happened so they don't get a second thought.
Heck, we can even say things like we should never bring an 18 month old on an amusement park ride because something could happen in the blink of an eye.

That guy quoted wasn't there. There were several eyewitnesses. The truth will come out, but it seems that the child was purposely held outside thw window, according to firsthand reports. Obviously the family is going to claim it wasn't their fault, it was an accident, etc. They need to be able to blame the cruise line at some point when they inevitably file suit...

I find it very hard to believe that the child accidentally fell out. That is basically impossible in this scenario.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!