This Remote is Bothering Me - An August 2020 TR

LeiaIsAPrincess2

Mouseketeer
Welcome to the trip report for the trip that almost didn't happen! As we all know, 2020 is a pain in the butt year to do anything but sometimes you just need to get away to your happy place.

First, introductions:
I'm Leah and I'm a Certified Veterinary Technician and Travel Agent living in Minneapolis, MN.

I live with my 2 puppers- Luna the Golden Retriever/Springer Spaniel mix and Eisley the Pug, plus Weasley the orange kitty and 3 parrots. Luckily, I have a very patient and loving mom who stays with my small zoo so I can travel (one of these times I really need to bring her with!).
Ih4EYJR.jpg
bH9o8BO.jpg

My traveling companion for this adventure was my Cousin A. She originally introduced me to Disney vacations a few years ago and this was our first time back as just the 2 of us.

This trip was originally planned last year as a runDisney trip for me to do the Star Wars Rival Run weekend in April of 2020, staying at Caribbean Beach. That was cancelled since WDW was closed and we immediately rebooked for mid-June at Caribbean Beach. We waited and waited for updates on reopening and didn't find out the reopening dates until about a week before we were supposed to leave. Eek! Cousin A and I still wanted to squeeze in a summer trip even though we were scheduled for the Wine & Dine runDisney weekend in early November as well, so I was able to book us August 10-17th and Disney upgraded us to a deluxe studio at Saratoga Springs since CBR was still closed. Shortly thereafter, annual passholder discounts were also released and we save 40% on our room! We really enjoyed that discount since we usually book the dining plan and that is not available yet. We also had a large flight credit from our April cancellation so we could use that on our August and part of our November plane tickets. We did book a table service restaurant for each day as an escape from the heat (and because we like to eat) and we had no issues getting the park passes we wanted for each day. That was it! No other major planning needed. Work was insane for me leading up to the trip so I packed about 2 days in advance and kept my fingers crossed that I didn't forget anything. Stay tuned to see how our trip turned out!

Following! I have the same job as you ✈

We went in July after having gone to Universal in June, loved both trips! We also go back in 9 days and I can't wait. Glad you got a trip in and looking forward to seeing how August differed from July!

Following! I have the same job as you ✈

We went in July after having gone to Universal in June, loved both trips! We also go back in 9 days and I can't wait. Glad you got a trip in and looking forward to seeing how August differed from July!

Welcome! I wish we had gone to Universal too but there's always next time!

Here! Page 1!

Score!

Double score!

Glad to see you here! We did finally get some luck on the room after all the rescheduling 😉

Also joining in :) Work was insane here, too during Covid (vet in Australia) no idea why but it seems to have been a worldwide phenomenon! Lucky you to have Disney to escape to!

Joining in! Can't wait to hear about your trip!
[/QUOTE
Welcome! Glad you are here!

Joining in, excited to hear all about it!
So happy to see you again!

Also joining in :) Work was insane here, too during Covid (vet in Australia) no idea why but it seems to have been a worldwide phenomenon! Lucky you to have Disney to escape to!
Welcome! I have to idea why Covid has made vet clinics so busy but it's truly insane! But I love seeing all the newly adopted pets recently

Following along! And oh my goodness, your pets are the cutest!
Hello and thank you!!

Day 0-1

We had an 8:20 am departure on Monday, August 10th, so Cousin A (C.A.) decided to come over the evening before and spend the night, since I live very close to the airport. We grabbed some Culver’s for dinner and played my new Disney Theme Parks Monopoly game. Fun fact, I collect editions of Monopoly and have over 30 of them so far! The weather forecast said it was going to storm overnight but the evening was beautiful and we didn’t think much of it. We headed to bed around 10:30 and I did not fall asleep for a long time. Around 12:30, the storms hit and they hit hard. The lightning was non stop and the thunder was shaking things off my shelves. In comparison, I live on airport property and my house has had all the noise and vibration upgrades so storms rarely affect anything for me. I got up to make sure all my electronics were unplugged and we just watched the weather from the windows. There was no way to sleep through that. It finally calmed down around 4 am and we got to sleep until 5:15 when we had to get up to leave. This was definitely the least amount of sleep we’d ever gotten before a trip!

My mom came to pick us up just before 6 and dropped us off at the airport. She was staying at my house to pet sit for the week too. We checked our bags and headed through security, which was super quick. The concourse we were at didn’t have much for food options so we stopped at Caribou (a coffee shop for those who don’t have them). I usually prefer Starbucks but I was way too tired to care! I got a black coffee and bagel sandwich and C.A. got a muffin and a hot chocolate. I remember thinking the food was fine and thank god there was caffeine!
xKtExHC.jpg
(I'm smiling on the inside)

The other passengers at the gate were very respectful of keeping a distance between everyone and boarding went very smoothly. We were first class and had the row to ourselves, with no one in front or behind us. There is no meal service anymore but we did get our choice of snack boxes and some pre packaged snacks too. I watched Wreck It Ralph since I hadn’t seen it before and thought it was meh. Cute but predictable. I don’t sleep well on planes but I certainly zoned out for most of the flight.

We landed around noon and MCO was a completely different story than MSP. There was no physical distancing at all and mask usage was not being enforced well. When we reached the elevator to go to baggage claim, at least 8 other people loaded in with us. I was super uncomfortable and was hoping I hadn’t made a big mistake by traveling. We grabbed our bags and headed to the Magical Express, which had a long check in line but everyone was spread out. Whew. We were the only people in line for our bus and we boarded right away. The driver explained how he would load from the back, every other alternating row. There was 1 group already seated and only 1 other party came after us, yet we all had to sit in the back.
IWocIDD.jpg
CGwkO7Y.jpg

Saratoga Springs was the first stop and there was a greeter outside waiting for us. We’d already gotten our room information right after landing and she gave us directions to our building. She offered to have a bellman drive us but we’d been sitting forever and decided to walk. Full disclosure, I was not excited about being moved to SS after all the rescheduling. It sounded like a boring resort far away from everything. I was also hoping we’d get a refurbished room so we’d have a murphy bed and not a pull out couch. Well, the resort was beautiful! The water and fountains were gorgeous and our building was in the Paddock section, right behind the main Springs section, so we got to take the bridge across the water.

jhbxf2L.jpg
hSu92EZ.jpg
yYRiams.jpg

Our room was on the top floor but sadly, not refurbished. If not for the giant tree outside the balcony, we would have had a pool view too. Our studio was a nice size but definitely showing wear and tear. C.A. said we could trade beds nightly or every few nights and I offered to take the couch to start since she’d slept on my couch the night before. The mattress was thin but seemed fairly firm so I wasn’t too concerned.
5mJM8tk.jpg
4LQefFZ.jpg
nh8ZbbX.jpg

We changed clothes and masks and decided to stop at the lobby to attach our credit cards to our magic bands before heading to Epcot. Since Food and Wine had started, we figured we’d get something there for lunch. The lobby was also beautiful and we had no trouble attaching our cards and also picking up our envelope of magical extras (which I never remember to use). We didn’t wait long for the bus and we had it all to ourselves!
yDMELWX.jpg

We walked up to temperature check and the CM took mine twice but couldn’t get a good reading (his words) but was able to get a passing reading behind my ear. Talk about starting your trip with a panic attack!

Ewo3aA4.jpg
There's nobody here!

C.A. mentioned the citrus chicken looked good so we headed for that booth first. It was about a million degrees outside and we were sweating instantly. We each got the chicken and a bottle of water, and grabbed a table near the lagoon to eat. The chicken had too much breading on it which had gotten soggy and the meat itself reminded me of cafeteria food. The sauce (glaze?) was very tasty though and we enjoyed taking a mask break.
LypomTy.jpg

Since we were in the area, we headed to Figment first (walk on, no surprise) and then to The Land. Living with the Land had about a 10 minute wait, which was fairly accurate. We noticed the pumpkins in the greenhouse were enormous!
tSpnHFf.jpg
LnCmPv4.jpg
4rxVWhx.jpg
WQkkfup.jpg

Soarin was next and it was also a walk on, and we got B1 :) Vacation is off to a good start! We had to do Spaceship Earth next and while we were walking over a CM in front the gift shop saw a lady with a birthday button and starting singing to her at the top of his lungs. It was hilarious and she looked like she wanted the ground to swallow her up:rotfl2:

Spaceship Earth was great as always and you get an entire car to yourself. C.A. really wanted to do Frozen next since she was concerned about the line there without Fastpass, so that was our next stop. It had a posted 30 minute wait and the line was almost back to China, but it only took about 20 minutes until we were riding.
VXjth45.jpg

Since we were in Norway, we decided to stop at the Relaxation Station for a little while. The masks in the heat were much worse that we had expected, mostly because we didn’t realize how much your face can sweat! I wear masks all day long but this was no fun. We also had some time to kill before our dinner reservation so we just stayed there and enjoyed the air conditioning (and stared blankly at the room because we were beyond exhausted).
9GE6MWi.jpg

Our dinner reservation was at Via Napoli, one of our favorites. I’m so glad I booked this for arrival day because we were absolutely starving! We were seated right away and ordered almost immediately. I went with a pepperoni and mushroom pizza with an ice tea and C.A. went with a pepperoni pizza and a coke.

2fDoPBS.jpg
lepimSR.jpg

Since we didn’t have the dining plan, we skipped dessert. We also each took half our dinner back as leftovers. We had one final stop for the night and that was in the World Showplace building to try the nitro cake pops. OMG these were amazing! Like a fudgy cake with a thin layer of icing and the topping of your choice.
ECYeHiV.jpg

It was starting to storm so we headed back to the resort and cooled off in our room.

9y2nNzk.jpg

I also pulled out the spare bedding for the couch and realized the only extra blanket was a sad looking thing that used to be fuzzy and now was all crunchy and stuck together from being washed a million times. Ugh. We decided to walk over to the QS/Gift shop to get our refillable mugs and something to drink, and I found the cutest throw blanket in the gift shop. Problem solved! Except I hadn’t brought my wallet that had my AP card and ID in it, just my magicband, but the CM was super nice and gave me the AP discount anyway!
CWkQhVl.jpg

We grabbed our drinks and headed back to go to bed. The throw blanket was a lifesaver too!

and played my new Disney Theme Parks Monopoly game. Fun fact, I collect editions of Monopoly and have over 30 of them so far!
That is cool! We have an older version and I've been meaning to get an updated one but not 30 lol. I think that's a unique Disney thing to collect!
. I usually prefer Starbucks but I was way too tired to care!
Since DH is a DM for Starbucks :thanks: for helping us put our DS's through college lol!
We landed around noon and MCO was a completely different story than MSP. There was no physical distancing at all and mask usage was not being enforced well.
See it was different when we went in July; Newark was nasty as far as physical distancing but MCO upon arrival and when we were leaving was fine. Hopefully it's ok when we get there next week!
The mattress was thin but seemed fairly firm so I wasn’t too concerned.
Your boys slept on that sofa bed 2 years ago and they were comfortable but of course kids aren't as tuned in to that stuff!
The masks in the heat were much worse that we had expected, mostly because we didn’t realize how much your face can sweat! I
They were definitely worse in July than when we went in June but not as bad as we thought! We do wear disposables though; but we have to brings extras to the parks because they get nasty wet from sweat 🤢

So we were at SSR for Thanksiving 2 years ago; we'd stayed way back in 2011 also. We weren't thrilled but it was the only thing I could get with my discount since we booked last minute. Ended up I did like the resort and as you said it's pretty! Loved the proximity to DS and the space in our room but they could use a refurb for sure. I also happen to think Artist Palette is the best QS on property! I remember from 2011 that we'd really enjoyed it and it was just as good! Definitely feel the disappointed though since it's not where you originally booked.

Fun fact, I collect editions of Monopoly and have over 30 of them so far!
Really! That's a unique thing to collect. You must really enjoy it. I like playing Monopoly, but no one wants to play at my house. Takes too long, I guess.
The lightning was non stop and the thunder was shaking things off my shelves.
:scared:
It finally calmed down around 4 am and we got to sleep until 5:15 when we had to get up to leave.
Oh, man. That alarm must've been horrid.
I got a black coffee
Intravenously?
We were first class and had the row to ourselves, with no one in front or behind us.
Nice!
MCO was a completely different story than MSP. There was no physical distancing at all and mask usage was not being enforced well.
Oh, man. Not sure if I'd be overly comfortable with that.
When we reached the elevator to go to baggage claim, at least 8 other people loaded in with us. I was super uncomfortable and was hoping I hadn’t made a big mistake by traveling
:sad2:
Well, the resort was beautiful!
Good! Never stayed there. Maybe I should. :)
C.A. said we could trade beds nightly or every few nights and I offered to take the couch to start since she’d slept on my couch the night before.
Nice of both of you. :)
We walked up to temperature check and the CM took mine twice but couldn’t get a good reading (his words) but was able to get a passing reading behind my ear. Talk about starting your trip with a panic attack!
Oh, man! I would've been stressed out!
The chicken had too much breading on it which had gotten soggy and the meat itself reminded me of cafeteria food.
That does not sound appealing.
Soarin was next and it was also a walk on, and we got B1 :)
Yay! Best seat in the house! No distortion! (Or at least, not much.)
while we were walking over a CM in front the gift shop saw a lady with a birthday button and starting singing to her at the top of his lungs. It was hilarious and she looked like she wanted the ground to swallow her up:rotfl2:
:laughing: Then don't wear the button if you don't want the attention!
The masks in the heat were much worse that we had expected, mostly because we didn’t realize how much your face can sweat!
I was afraid of that. That was one of the first things I thought of... Sorry to hear my fears were justified.
That looks good!!
the only extra blanket was a sad looking thing that used to be fuzzy and now was all crunchy and stuck together from being washed a million times. Ugh.
Ew. Nope.
Except I hadn’t brought my wallet that had my AP card and ID in it, just my magicband, but the CM was super nice and gave me the AP discount anyway!
I've had that happen. I don't remember what I was buying, but I didn't even have an AP yet. I was getting it the next day and mentioned that to the CM and he gave me the discount.

Had you requested a refurbished room? It looks like you two could have shared a pizza, and gotten mushrooms just on half, instead of both having half left over.

Since DH is a DM for Starbucks :thanks: for helping us put our DS's through college lol!
Happy to help!!

So we were at SSR for Thanksiving 2 years ago; we'd stayed way back in 2011 also. We weren't thrilled but it was the only thing I could get with my discount since we booked last minute. Ended up I did like the resort and as you said it's pretty! Loved the proximity to DS and the space in our room but they could use a refurb for sure. I also happen to think Artist Palette is the best QS on property! I remember from 2011 that we'd really enjoyed it and it was just as good! Definitely feel the disappointed though since it's not where you originally booked.
We weren't too disappointed since it was an upgrade to a villa vs. a moderate and I would certainly stay again once the refurb is completed!

Really! That's a unique thing to collect. You must really enjoy it. I like playing Monopoly, but no one wants to play at my house. Takes too long, I guess.
I have the same issue, most of them never get played 😁

Intravenously?
I wish, but at that point I'd take it any way I could

Yay! Best seat in the house! No distortion! (Or at least, not much.)
It was super lucky!

I was afraid of that. That was one of the first things I thought of... Sorry to hear my fears were justified.
It definitely wasn't fun wearing a mask the entire time but at least we got to go to Disney!

Just found your report. Following along. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures.
Thanks for following along!!

following...loving your report!
Thank you!

What a rough evening before your flight!

But all worth it once you're at Disney! Your time at Epcot sounded lovely!
Welcome! It was certainly an...exciting...way to start vacation :rotfl2:

Had you requested a refurbished room? It looks like you two could have shared a pizza, and gotten mushrooms just on half, instead of both having half left over.
I didn't request it because most of the refurbished rooms are preferred and I didn't want to pay extra. We discussed splitting dinner but we actually wanted to have the leftovers to snack on!

Reactions: DLo
Sorry about the delayed update, life just won't cooperate with me this year! I'm still hoping to complete this TR before my next trip in November.

Day 2

We were up early today because it was our only full day at Animal Kingdom and we wanted to take advantage of it. We arrived about 20 minutes after park opening, which was our strategy for most parks to avoid the rope drop crowds, and it worked out well.

NUmhlWC.jpg

We headed to the safari first and waited about 10 minutes to board. The animals were all out and moving around. I even got a picture of the cheetah walking around!
KY77Z5d.jpg
Lvrmzfz.jpg
vDKFWZc.jpg

We decided to walk the Gorilla Falls trail next before it got any hotter. We got to see the new baby gorilla, but she was leaning up against her mom and doesn’t show up well in the pictures. We were absolutely melting by this point already.
7hs5wDN.jpg

Everest was listed as a walk on so we slowly made our way to Asia. We had a great ride with the Yeti, then bought some Powerade at the gift shop and sat in the Rivers of Light area to drink and relax. We placed our mobile orders for lunch from Satu’li Canteen to try and avoid the lunch crowd too.
XGSyaoo.jpg

Pandora was our next stop and we still had to wait about 15 minutes for our food to be ready. We had decided that we were okay eating indoors as long as the tables were spaced apart, so we got to enjoy our food with some air conditioning.

gez7n7P.jpg

Flight of Passage was listed as a 20 minute wait after lunch and Navi River was 45, so we headed to FoP. It was a 20 minute wait but the line had very few stops and we really enjoyed getting to see the standby line for the first time ever. They stopped us to clean right before we boarded too.
kWWPJyO.jpg

Our next stop was Dinosaur, because if you don’t criss cross this park at least 5 times, have you really even been here?! :rotfl2: There was no wait again and we got our dino!
UqlhMXb.jpg

Wait times in Pandora had dropped so we headed back and waited for Navi River. There was about a 15 minute wait and there was a man with 2 young children in front of us who were so well behaved and did better staying on their queue markers than almost everyone else in line! We were impressed.

After our nice, air conditioned boat journey we headed back to FoP, which said 15 minutes but was a complete walk on. We didn’t even see another person in line until we reached the lab room. After our flight was complete and we were exiting, they even offered us a route to head back in and reride! We had other plans though and headed back for an afternoon safari.

We were waiting to board our safari vehicle when everything came to a stop and we waited. And waited. And waited. And then they announced that one of the white rhinos had gone to sleep in the middle of the road and they needed to wait for it to move. It took about 30 minutes total until boarding and we actually saw quite a few animals in the afternoon. Our guide was the one stuck right behind the rhino and when we approached them again, one of them was coming over to the road again so he didn’t linger in that area.
qhtPVd1.jpg
2eFxz4z.jpg

C.A. wanted to do the animation class on Discovery Island so we caught the train to head over. It was starting to look stormy too. Unfortunately, we missed the class by about 10 minutes and it was a long time until the next one, so we wandered around a bit and then headed back.

Nehv7MF.jpg

We also just missed the train so we grabbed a bench at the station just as the storm started. There was a big bolt of lightning that almost blinded us followed by a giant crack of thunder. Even the CM commented that it was a big one. Right after, one of my friends texted to say that Rise of the Resistance had just been struck by lightning. Wow!

We had hoped to ride Everest again since it’s my favorite ride, but now everything was down. We grabbed a bottle of water and tried to decide what to do. We had dinner reservations at Grand Floridian Cafe much later that evening but we just weren’t feeling it. We decided to cancel the reservation and just grab some QS at Disney Springs instead. We headed back to our hotel to cool off and clean up a bit, and to wait out the rain.

We both decided we were craving good french fries so we got dinner at D-Luxe Burger. The burgers weren’t quite as good as I remembered but the fries were delicious and the restaurant was almost empty so we were happy.
EYaIQ7a.jpg

We did a little shopping after eating but DS was super crowded and masks were not being enforced very well. We were closer to the pathway to walk to SS than to the buses so we decided to walk back. This was a horrible idea since the pathway was much longer than we expected and I didn’t get us very close to our building. We did get some beautiful sunset pictures across the water though!

YjcGLgW.jpg
rnOhLEk.jpg

C.A. asked if we should swap beds but since we weren't getting clean sheets each day (no housekeeping) I decided I'd rather stick to the couch.

A very successful first day at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter