This year is lookin good..Get it? Because it's 2020?- Another international Disney PTR

dolewhipdreams

Counting days until my next Dole Whip
Joined
Feb 24, 2017
In an unprecedented turn of luck, I went onto the DCL website today to cancel our original Palo reservation. I decided to check availability for the day I actually want it and wouldn't you know- there was a spot open! So all of that worry was for naught- we now have Palo reservations on our non-Marvel day at sea.

Bring on the yummy.
 


pkondz

. . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky
Joined
Mar 9, 2007
In an unprecedented turn of luck, I went onto the DCL website today to cancel our original Palo reservation. I decided to check availability for the day I actually want it and wouldn't you know- there was a spot open! So all of that worry was for naught- we now have Palo reservations on our non-Marvel day at sea.

Bring on the yummy.
Phew! Great!
 
  • Lesley Wake

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 16, 2017
    In an unprecedented turn of luck, I went onto the DCL website today to cancel our original Palo reservation. I decided to check availability for the day I actually want it and wouldn't you know- there was a spot open! So all of that worry was for naught- we now have Palo reservations on our non-Marvel day at sea.

    Bring on the yummy.
    Yay!

    Your cruise schedule switcheroo actually caused some confusion in my cruise group! I guess a lot of people got those notices even though we are doing SWDAS not Marvel! Eventually they had to resend an email letting everyone know it was ok!

    I don't know when/if I'll ever be able to do Palo brunch! I don't want to do it solo in March. I was hoping to do it in Alaska, but it sounds like all the days are already booked up and it isn't even Gold booking date yet! Maybe I'll be able to get it on embarkation day, but I don't know yet!
     

    dolewhipdreams

    Counting days until my next Dole Whip
    Joined
    Feb 24, 2017
    Well, this coronavirus is certainly adding some ambiguity to our China plans. The State Dept just upped the travel advisory to a level 4 (do not travel). We still have 7 months to go before our trip so there's a chance this could be contained by then. I'm not hopeful, but Jon is absolutely sure we'll be able to go. So far ABD hasn't announced anything about the itineraries that are planned for early April, which is only two months away. In this time frame people have flights, are starting to get visas, etc. so it's weird to me that they haven't called it yet.

    Plus I'm sure you've seen that both Shanghai and Hong Kong Disneyland are closed until further notice.

    The official ABD policy is that if they cancel, you get a full refund (including flights, if they can) OR they will do their best to rebook you on a different trip (and pay for reasonable flight change fees). Jon is still 100% certain that we won't have to deal with any of that as we will still go to China, but I think I've decided that if they do cancel then we'll just take our money back and do a cheaper trip on our own, saving the rest for when we can actually go to China. The cost of this trip is kind of once in a lifetime so I'd rather spend the money on the original destination. Depending on how the virus spreads, we're thinking either Hawaii or somewhere in Europe (maybe Ireland?).

    So far we only have our return flight booked and that's with airline miles so I'm not too worried about cancelling that one if we have to. But it's annoying because usually by now I'm starting to watch for airfare and I need to start thinking about booking our pre and post nights. It's just all very uncertain!
     
    • Sad
    Reactions: DLo
  • dolewhipdreams

    Counting days until my next Dole Whip
    Joined
    Feb 24, 2017
    I'm sorry it's put a wrench in your planning. Scary stuff :( Smart idea if they cancel to just do a different trip and hopefully reschedule in the future.
    I feel very first world worrying about how this is affecting my vacation plans, but I promise I am also truly concerned for the people who are ill!
     

    Lesley Wake

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 16, 2017
    I feel very first world worrying about how this is affecting my vacation plans, but I promise I am also truly concerned for the people who are ill!
    Yeah, I've been thinking about your trip too! All the uncertainty really makes things difficult for uber-planners like us! And I would agree to save the money for a future China trip - don't want to "waste" it on something that isn't as epic. I think at least with ABD they will take care of refunds and everything - you won't need to track down all the various hotels, tickets, etc.

    Who knows - maybe they will have it all controlled by then and your trip will go ahead as scheduled. (And could maybe lead to lower crowds from people who cancelled or postponed trips?)

    Also, I totally get where you are coming from - you care about the people but also still have your own worries! I felt the same way with HK and the protests!
     

    dolewhipdreams

    Counting days until my next Dole Whip
    Joined
    Feb 24, 2017
    I think at least with ABD they will take care of refunds and everything - you won't need to track down all the various hotels, tickets, etc.
    That seems to be the policy, but we haven't heard from anyone who is on one of the earlier itineraries. I'm on a thread on the ABD forum discussing it.

    Who knows - maybe they will have it all controlled by then and your trip will go ahead as scheduled. (And could maybe lead to lower crowds from people who cancelled or postponed trips?)
    Hopefully!!
     

    amazingact21

    Upendi
    Joined
    Nov 6, 2010
    I've been following the news about this virus and really hope it doesn't effect your trip later in the year. What an uncertain time for travelers right now! If it does come about that you have to cancel, I agree that you should put the money aside for another try at China. If your heart is set on that location, better to squirrel that money away for whenever the next opportunity to visit arises.
     
  • dolewhipdreams

    Counting days until my next Dole Whip
    Joined
    Feb 24, 2017
    I've been following the news about this virus and really hope it doesn't effect your trip later in the year. What an uncertain time for travelers right now! If it does come about that you have to cancel, I agree that you should put the money aside for another try at China. If your heart is set on that location, better to squirrel that money away for whenever the next opportunity to visit arises.
    Don’t worry, I’ve already got backup plans just in case! I’m thinking Ireland or Hawaii (assuming it’s okay to travel to places that aren’t China at that time).

    Jon was joking that I’m going to get so attached to the idea of an Ireland trip that I’ll be sad if it turns out we can actually go to China 🤣
     

    Jules76126

    Practically Perfect in Every Way
    Joined
    Apr 3, 2006
    So I am a lurker on your thread but wanted to jump in. It would be a bummer if you couldn't do the ABD trip. However, my husband and I went to Ireland a year and a half ago and it was amazing. We went for two weeks and did the whole driving thing and it was fine. If you do need to go that route and have any questions, let me know.
     

    dolewhipdreams

    Counting days until my next Dole Whip
    Joined
    Feb 24, 2017
    Ugh, so I saw this rumor today! Maybe you should start getting attached to Ireland or Hawaii?
    View attachment 470974
    Oh man, I wonder what makes them say that. Also 'multiple months' is so ambiguous!

    So I am a lurker on your thread but wanted to jump in. It would be a bummer if you couldn't do the ABD trip. However, my husband and I went to Ireland a year and a half ago and it was amazing. We went for two weeks and did the whole driving thing and it was fine. If you do need to go that route and have any questions, let me know.
    I've been to Ireland before but Jon never has. It's always been on my list to take him, since it's one of my favorite places. We would have about two weeks as well! I made a rough plan yesterday and if we went we would probably do 5 nights in Dublin, 5 nights in Killarney, and 5 nights in Galway. We did a road trip tour of Scotland a couple years ago and that was fun, but we want to do something that requires less moving around. So we'll probably stick to those three locations and maybe just take some longer day trips if we need.
     

    Lesley Wake

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 16, 2017
    Oh man, I wonder what makes them say that. Also 'multiple months' is so ambiguous!
    I know! Though apparently Macau is closing all of their casinos for 2 weeks because a worker tested positive for the virus and he had been using the employee shuttles, so they don't know who could have been exposed! That would be like Vegas closing down! So, maybe better that Disney is just always closed rather than closing on/off!
     

    Cloe Colton

    Registered
    Joined
    Mar 6, 2018
    Oh no!! I completely forgot about your Asia trip. I hope it all works out for you guys! My cousin and his girlfriend who live in China came home during their Chinese new year break right when the virus first broke out and they are actually stuck here indefinitely because no airlines are flying there. (Although his gf's principal's response to her explaining the situation was to send her a screen shot of shady airlines she could fly on, like what! lol) Hopefully they manage to contain it soon!

    I am slightly surprised that ABD hasn't at least sent some sort of message to you guys, like we are monitoring the situation or something along those lines lol hopefully they will soon!
     

    dolewhipdreams

    Counting days until my next Dole Whip
    Joined
    Feb 24, 2017
    I know! Though apparently Macau is closing all of their casinos for 2 weeks because a worker tested positive for the virus and he had been using the employee shuttles, so they don't know who could have been exposed! That would be like Vegas closing down! So, maybe better that Disney is just always closed rather than closing on/off!
    Yeah, that's true! I'm on a thread monitoring the whole situation and we're curious that if Disney decides not to cancel strictly for the virus if enough people will cancel or avoid booking that they'll have to cancel the itineraries due to insufficient bookings anyway.

    Oh no!! I completely forgot about your Asia trip. I hope it all works out for you guys! My cousin and his girlfriend who live in China came home during their Chinese new year break right when the virus first broke out and they are actually stuck here indefinitely because no airlines are flying there. (Although his gf's principal's response to her explaining the situation was to send her a screen shot of shady airlines she could fly on, like what! lol) Hopefully they manage to contain it soon!

    I am slightly surprised that ABD hasn't at least sent some sort of message to you guys, like we are monitoring the situation or something along those lines lol hopefully they will soon!
    I'm following along on a thread where people who have China trips booked have been calling to ask about it. So far the April trip has been cancelled, but there's someone on the thread with the May 30th departure and it has not been cancelled yet. The general response from ABD when people called is 'we're monitoring the situation and will let you know if anything changes.' So it looks like they'll try to cancel at least 2 months out if they have to, I guess.

    Which wouldn't be a ton of time to plan an alternative trip, but I'm always up for a travel challenge hahaha
     

    Cloe Colton

    Registered
    Joined
    Mar 6, 2018
    You would think with how long China visas take that they would be canceling them farther out than that! Although, I have faith that you could plan a trip in a quick turnaround if need be! Dan and I have been to Maui and Aulani so if you decide to head there definitely let me know! (definitely not a bad alternative even if it isnt choice number one!)
     

    dolewhipdreams

    Counting days until my next Dole Whip
    Joined
    Feb 24, 2017
    You would think with how long China visas take that they would be canceling them farther out than that! Although, I have faith that you could plan a trip in a quick turnaround if need be! Dan and I have been to Maui and Aulani so if you decide to head there definitely let me know! (definitely not a bad alternative even if it isnt choice number one!)
    Thanks for the offer! We went to Oahu/Aulani a couple years ago so if we do Hawaii we'll go to a different island, either Kauai or Maui!
     





    Connect

    Disney News and Updates





    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.






    Top