Thoughts? Help planning our days

tammytam

Mouseketeer
We are heading to Disneyland in two weeks, and will be in the parks for four days from Sunday, Aug 27 to Wednesday, Aug 30. We are a group of 4.. 2 adults and 2 kids (age 9 and 5). We're traveling from Canada and this is only my fourth ever trip (1989, 2007 and April 2016).. that to say.. we don't get there too often and probably won't be back for 3-4 years, and so maximizing our time is important!

I was originally going to get 3 day hoppers, but realized that we could get 4 day (one park) tickets for less than 3 day hoppers.. so that's what I ended up buying.

It's my 5 year old's first trip (exciting!!!). He has a physical disability, limiting our touring 'speed' to more casual :) And he's not yet at the magical height of 40", so we're planning to use rider swap for the 'big' rides.

We are staying right across the street on Harbour (Tropicana) and will most likely take an afternoon break each day. Although the parks don't open until 10am.. so maybe we'll find ourselves wanting to stay. TBD!

It wasn't announced until long after I booked the trip.. but the CHOC walk is happening on our first day (Sunday, Aug 27), which from what I read, will make the parks very busy. In addition, Disney has changed magic morning that weekend from Saturday to Sunday. AND.. that Sunday Disneyland doesn't open until 10:00am. :(

What day would you use magic morning? Would you do two days in each park, or 3 days at Disneyland and 1 at DCA?

Sunday, Aug 27 (CHOC walk)
  • We could get in at 9am (regular opening is 10am). I'm thinking the CHOC walkers who get a deal on a park ticket won't be utilizing the magic morning that day.
  • We have a dining package for Fantasmic on this day at RBT (this is the only day Fantasmic is showing during our trip).
  • Question -- anyone with CHOC walk experience.. any idea just how busy Disneyland gets on this day? I don't want to leave in the afternoon for a break.. and not be able to get back in for our dinner reservation.
Monday, Aug 28
  • Planned to do DCA this day, and watch WOC with a regular fastpass.
Tuesday, Aug 29 (undecided which park)
  • 10am regular opening, 9am magic morning. We could do magic morning this day if we don't use it on Sunday.. but I'm leaning toward Sunday.
Wednesday, Aug 30 (undecided which park)
  • No plans! Unsure if we will do 2 days at each park or 3 days at Disneyland and just 1 at DCA?! Finding it hard to decide and a bit limited with the non-hoppers (even though I know, with my son's slower pace that one park/day will totally work for us)
Thursday, Aug 31
  • Not a park day, but we have the Surf's Up character breakfast booked! Our flight doesn't leave LAX until 5pm.
:goofy:

Last edited:
I'll let someone else chime in on MM. but in order to maximize your time and limit fast paced touring style, GET MAX PASS!

I am definitely going to try Max Pass on our first day (and I'm thinking that I'll love it.. so will end up using it the whole time ;) ). I've been trying to keep up-to-date and read the updates on MaxPass and the changes to Rider Swap.. so we can maximize our riding time :)

We are from Canada and just returned on Tuesday. The wifi is horrific (and pretty much non-existent at DCA). Our kids are 1 and 4 and not having Maxpass impacted us zero. Good planning will allow you to ride everything no problem, especially if using rider swap.

We have done 1 park per day most of the time at Disney for the money saving because we are a fairly large family. We typically do 3 days and do two DCA and one DL. Most of the rides my kids enjoy most are DCA at their ages (11-17) last trip. But with your kids ages being younger more days at DL may be right. But I'd just play it by ear. You can decide on day 4 as a family where you want to head.

We are from Canada and just returned on Tuesday. The wifi is horrific (and pretty much non-existent at DCA). Our kids are 1 and 4 and not having Maxpass impacted us zero. Good planning will allow you to ride everything no problem, especially if using rider swap.

I've heard the wifi is terrible! I have a roam feature that I'll pay for so I can use my existing plan (data) in the US. I used my phone during our last trip.. basically just to be able to check wait times and fastpass return times on the app. So I think I'll still give MaxPass a try (at least for our first day). Hope you had an awesome trip! :)

In addition to being the day of the CHOC walk, the 27th is also the first weekend day that SoCal passes get back into the park. I would expect it to get very packed that day - I wouldn't think "gate closure" packed, but just in case, if you follow the DL Twitter account, you can run back over if any type of closures start (they'll start by stopping new ticket sales and post that, if you head over then, you should be able to get in before re-admits close... and sometimes they'll let you in with a reservation anyway).

I think using the MM then is a decent idea. At least you'll get something done before it gets crazy... but beware that security/entrance may be weird and time-consuming due to the walk...

I'd be inclined to use your MM on Tuesday - when there is no disruption possible, and when you don;t have plans for a longish day anyway. And I'd go for Max pass to deal with Sunday crowds and CHOC. As for DCA, just pay attention to the days that hotel guests have EMH (can't remember them off the top of my head) and see if you can maneuver around them! :)

CHOC Walk Sunday can get very crowded (last year there were 14,000 walkers), but not 'capacity closure' crowded. The esplanade will be very crowded because walkers only have that one day to buy their discounted tickets. MM won't be an issue for them because MM only comes with 3 day or longer multi day tickets, while walkers will be buying multiple single day tickets. (And MM doesn't even come with multi day tickets purchased at the ticket booths.) The esplanade and DTD will calm down by early afternoon, if not earlier. I don't think you will have any trouble getting back into DL for your dinner reservation, but, as a pp advised, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the DL Today twitter feed for updates.

I'd be inclined to use your MM on Tuesday - when there is no disruption possible, and when you don;t have plans for a longish day anyway. And I'd go for Max pass to deal with Sunday crowds and CHOC. As for DCA, just pay attention to the days that hotel guests have EMH (can't remember them off the top of my head) and see if you can maneuver around them! :)

That is a very good point. I think you've convinced me to use the magic morning on Tuesday. I just wish it the hours were earlier.. but that's okay.

Hi there! We're also from Canada and we are going to be at Disneyland the exact same days!

We've been going since our son was 6 and even now at 12, we still find that he benefits from an afternoon break. We try to get as close to rope drop as possible and taking an afternoon break allows us to go back to the park into the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter