Thoughts on Alaska? DD22. If you have gone on this trip.....

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
I am in a situation. I booked Italy with ABD in May 2021 for college grad gift. While I am CERTAINLY hopeful I will be going - in the off chance that international travel isn't safe/allowed - trying to look for a backup destination. DD loves wildlife animals etc. so Alaska peaked her interest. To be honest, I am having a hard time selling myself on it. We love a lot of activity - loved Hawaii, Disney, San Diego. Los Angeles, Florida Keys, etc. So this destination is nothing like that which could be ok! Thoughts on this trip for us?

I am in a situation. I booked Italy with ABD in May 2021 for college grad gift. While I am CERTAINLY hopeful I will be going - in the off chance that international travel isn't safe/allowed - trying to look for a backup destination. DD loves wildlife animals etc. so Alaska peaked her interest. To be honest, I am having a hard time selling myself on it. We love a lot of activity - loved Hawaii, Disney, San Diego. Los Angeles, Florida Keys, etc. So this destination is nothing like that which could be ok! Thoughts on this trip for us?
I haven’t done the Alaska ABD but my mom and I did the 7-night Alaska cruise with Disney last year and had a great time. At the time I was 31 and my mom was 70. Neither of us are “cruise people” but we had the time of our lives. We did the helicopter/dogsled excursion in Juneau and had an incredibly experience. We also did whale watching and a horseback riding experience. I’ve been dying to go back ever since. We’ve also talked about the Alaska ABD as an option.

We did the Alaska ABD in 2016 and I believe the itinerary has changed slightly since then. We definitely prefer the international ABDs but thought this would give us a better flavor of Alaska compared to doing a cruise.

-Denali had overcast skies so we weren’t able to see the peak.
-Whitewater rafting was fun but cold (hot chocolate helped after)
-Our boys (7 and 8 at the time) enjoyed the bike ride in Anchorage and getting to hold the baby husky pups.
-The day with a train ride and Salmon bake had a bit of fun for everyone
-Last hotel, the Alyeska, was by the far the highlight- I got to have Baked Alaska in Alaska

Bottom line: fun trip but probably not worth the ABD premium unless you don’t have any other options.

We did the Alaska ABD in 2016 and I believe the itinerary has changed slightly since then. We definitely prefer the international ABDs but thought this would give us a better flavor of Alaska compared to doing a cruise.

-Denali had overcast skies so we weren’t able to see the peak.
-Whitewater rafting was fun but cold (hot chocolate helped after)
-Our boys (7 and 8 at the time) enjoyed the bike ride in Anchorage and getting to hold the baby husky pups.
-The day with a train ride and Salmon bake had a bit of fun for everyone
-Last hotel, the Alyeska, was by the far the highlight- I got to have Baked Alaska in Alaska

Bottom line: fun trip but probably not worth the ABD premium unless you don’t have any other options.

THANK YOU! That was sort of my feeling but I wasn't sure...It just isn't grabbing me too much. I will look at other options. THANKS!

Alaska isn't the same tour-wise as Europe but it's still a fabulous trip. There are some great excursions. I would not choose ABD for Alaska though. It think ABD packs too much into the day in Alaska, and I wouldn't want to do more than two excursions in a day. I'd also prefer to pick and choose the ones that specifically interested us.

We took ABD to Alaska and LOVED every minute of the trip. We went two days early and flew to Barrow and did the Polar Plunge and ate at Top of the World. We loved seeing the way the world "looks" north of the Arctic Circle. We returned to Anchorage to meet our ABD group. Our group of 32 got along famously. We so appreciated our wonderful guides, Matt and Allison, I believe. We did a bike ride at the base of the Chugach Mountains, took a float boat ride, did white water rafting, went to a outdoor place for rescued animals (bear, moose, caribou etc.) went whale watching (they were beautiful), hiked to a glacier, hiked the face of Mount Alyeska (about 2.5 hours), went to a native museum, met school children, met a musher and MANY of his sled dogs including puppies, took a boat to Fox Island, saw Denali, yes, 100 percent in all her glory, went to Talkeetna (I walked to the river while here) explored shops at Glitter Gulch, went to Denali, and spent the most amazing time on the Alaska Railroad. The entire trip was so well organized. Our weather was great. Meals were excellent. I did this trip with my son as a retirement celebration. I am thinking of repeating this ABD with my significant other.

I'm from Anchorage and don't see anything on the ABD itinerary that you couldn't book/do on your own for a lot less money.

For us, the value of ABD is access to exclusive experiences (behind the scenes/after hours tours, front of the line access/avoiding crowds), safety/security, and/or having local guides in places that are very far out of our normal comfort zone (for ex, we'd book an ABD for China since the language and culture are vastly different from what we're used to, but probably not for France). Alaska doesn't really fit any of those categories - like I said, you can book the experiences I see on the ABD website yourself. Driving is easy (Anchorage is more or less a grid pattern, and isn't that big anyway; it's also hard to get lost when there's only one road going South...). Obv everyone speaks English.

You say you love a lot of activity. Alaska certainly fits that criterion! Depending on when you go, you could go fishing (take a halibut fishing charter out of Seward or Homer; go salmon fishing), clamming, hiking, kayaking, rafting, gold panning, berry picking, mountain climbing, ice climbing, dogsled mushing, snowshoeing (also play snowshoe softball), play hockey, ice skate, go skiing (Alyeska),...

I'm from Anchorage and don't see anything on the ABD itinerary that you couldn't book/do on your own for a lot less money.

For us, the value of ABD is access to exclusive experiences (behind the scenes/after hours tours, front of the line access/avoiding crowds), safety/security, and/or having local guides in places that are very far out of our normal comfort zone (for ex, we'd book an ABD for China since the language and culture are vastly different from what we're used to, but probably not for France). Alaska doesn't really fit any of those categories - like I said, you can book the experiences I see on the ABD website yourself. Driving is easy (Anchorage is more or less a grid pattern, and isn't that big anyway; it's also hard to get lost when there's only one road going South...). Obv everyone speaks English.

You say you love a lot of activity. Alaska certainly fits that criterion! Depending on when you go, you could go fishing (take a halibut fishing charter out of Seward or Homer; go salmon fishing), clamming, hiking, kayaking, rafting, gold panning, berry picking, mountain climbing, ice climbing, dogsled mushing, snowshoeing (also play snowshoe softball), play hockey, ice skate, go skiing (Alyeska),...
We could have planned ABD Alaska ourselves and potentially saved dollars. However, (for us) the ABD Alaska tour was the perfect answer to no planning, phone calls, double checking reservations etc. This was a retirement trip at the conclusion of 40 plus work years. To have all the planning done, never have to touch a piece of luggage, not having to use a GPS, to not figure the logistics of where and when to eat between excursions, or ever wait in line to be seated etc. and see some of the best the Anchorage, Alaska area has to offer was perfect for us (but maybe not others). I can NOT imagine planning all the things we did and making the trip flow like ABD. Just booking all the different modes of transportation, activities, hotels, excursions, and meals we experienced would have been very time consuming. We also loved all the fun and games while driving, the depth and breadth of knowledge our guides shared and the camaraderie of our group. We cherish the awesome video recording of the entire trip. ABD was best for us but may not be the same for others who enjoy the planning aspects of travel. I enjoyed letting someone else do the planning. Disney did a great job.

We could have planned ABD Alaska ourselves and potentially saved dollars. However, (for us) the ABD Alaska tour was the perfect answer to no planning, phone calls, double checking reservations etc. This was a retirement trip at the conclusion of 40 plus work years. To have all the planning done, never have to touch a piece of luggage, not having to use a GPS, to not figure the logistics of where and when to eat between excursions, or ever wait in line to be seated etc. and see some of the best the Anchorage, Alaska area has to offer was perfect for us (but maybe not others). I can NOT imagine planning all the things we did and making the trip flow like ABD. Just booking all the different modes of transportation, activities, hotels, excursions, and meals we experienced would have been very time consuming. We also loved all the fun and games while driving, the depth and breadth of knowledge our guides shared and the camaraderie of our group. We cherish the awesome video recording of the entire trip. ABD was best for us but may not be the same for others who enjoy the planning aspects of travel. I enjoyed letting someone else do the planning. Disney did a great job.
To each their own. But like I said, I don't see anything on the Alaska itinerary that you can't book/do on your own. (Compare to the Southern CA tour where you can't go back stage on rides without going on a Disney tour.) Any TA worth their salt could arrange similar itineraries for a fraction of the price. I also notice a lot missing from the Alaska ABD (most Alaskans don't consider Anchorage to be "real" AK, and Anchorage really isn't a nice area. I certainly wouldn't travel thousands of miles for an "Alaska" vacation and spend more time than necessary in Anchorage). This is a situation where I personally see more value and "authentic" experience in doing a cruise (on a line that disembarks in Anch/Seward/etc), then spending some time on the Kenai Pen and heading into the Interior.

To each their own. But like I said, I don't see anything on the Alaska itinerary that you can't book/do on your own. (Compare to the Southern CA tour where you can't go back stage on rides without going on a Disney tour.) Any TA worth their salt could arrange similar itineraries for a fraction of the price. I also notice a lot missing from the Alaska ABD (most Alaskans don't consider Anchorage to be "real" AK, and Anchorage really isn't a nice area. I certainly wouldn't travel thousands of miles for an "Alaska" vacation and spend more time than necessary in Anchorage). This is a situation where I personally see more value and "authentic" experience in doing a cruise (on a line that disembarks in Anch/Seward/etc), then spending some time on the Kenai Pen and heading into the Interior.
Sorry, but most cruises are the most un-authentic Alaska experiences ever! The ABD is much more so (although I'm really sad they removed the Kenai Peninsula, and people should add that on.)

I've done both, and while I enjoyed my cruisetour, I'd recommend the ABD long before a cruise!

Sayhello

Sorry, but most cruises are the most un-authentic Alaska experiences ever! The ABD is much more so (although I'm really sad they removed the Kenai Peninsula, and people should add that on.)

I've done both, and while I enjoyed my cruisetour, I'd recommend the ABD long before a cruise!

Sayhello
I mean as far as visiting more "Alaskan" locations. If you're going to AK for an AK experience, don't go to Anchorage, or at least spend as little time there as possible. This is coming from someone born and raised in AK - don't hang out in or near Anchorage if you want to experience Alaska.

ETA: Having grown up there, there are generally two sort of distinct types of vacationers to AK. Those who go on cruises/guided tours, and those who are much more self-sufficient (go up and camp, go out fishing, etc on their own). The latter get a much more authentic experience.

Looking at the ABD itinerary, aside from going up to Denali, there isn't anything that sticks out as things Alaskans (at least myself and the others I know) would consider noteworthy or do unless we're (really) bored. They're all things that are easily done on your own if you choose - no need for a guide to take a trip down to Girdwood for ex. The tour also leaves off so much, like the Kenai Pen (fishing, glacier cruise), that are things Alaskans actually do choose to do. The itinerary is a bit odd to me, bc I would consider most of the activities on it to be secondary side trips to fill in around main activities like going down to Kenai/Seward/Homer.

Last edited:

Sayhello
Our ABD Alaska was excellent and sooo very enjoyable. Wonderful memories. I have not done large ship cruising in Alaska but I did do the American Cruise Line week long Alaska trip. Very different than ABD but equally as memorable because we cruised with 90 people and went on shore to many great towns. We often saw huge cruise ships way off the coast and I was glad to be on our little ship/boat. The service was amazing as were all the sights etc. Not unlike our ABD trip our guides on ACL, historian Todd Weber and his wife Nadine, made the trip exceptional. I think large ship cruising would be un-authentic as you share although I have not large ship cruise to Alaska. We have cruised three times with American Cruise Lines and each trip has been top notch.

Sounds like the California trip is for you and the Alaska trip was great for us. We have done numerous backstage tours at WDW but not via ABD. We book tours directly through WDW to save dollars and because we are very familiar with WDW. We have taken two different tours that took us into the utilidors under Main Street USA, a behind the scenes garden tour, food tasting tours, Animal Kingdom night tour, a tour that goes behind the scenes on three rides and two attractions, a progressive dinner tour, the dolphin experience as well as Africa Trek, and the holiday tour. I would love to try some of the west coast Disney tours in the future. I have only been the Disneyland twice so not as familiar. To anyone reading this: It took us forever to talk friends into doing a tour at WDW. After one, they were hooked. Their concern was paying park admission on top of the tour price. The behind the scenes tours are so well done, they changed their minds and feel they are well worth it. These may not be for all but we do enjoy. Once we have the grandbabies our trips will look different. :)

Our ABD Alaska was excellent and sooo very enjoyable. Wonderful memories. I have not done large ship cruising in Alaska but I did do the American Cruise Line week long Alaska trip. Very different than ABD but equally as memorable because we cruised with 90 people and went on shore to many great towns. We often saw huge cruise ships way off the coast and I was glad to be on our little ship/boat. The service was amazing as were all the sights etc. Not unlike our ABD trip our guides on ACL, historian Todd Weber and his wife Nadine, made the trip exceptional. I think large ship cruising would be un-authentic as you share although I have not large ship cruise to Alaska. We have cruised three times with American Cruise Lines and each trip has been top notch.
Especially if you're on somewhat smaller ships, you're able to get to places that you just can't drive to, and where flying can be prohibitively expensive (compared to taking a boat) or prohibitive from a scheduling standpoint. I know a lot of fellow Alaskans who do go on cruises because we can't just drive to one town or another.

I mean as far as visiting more "Alaskan" locations. If you're going to AK for an AK experience, don't go to Anchorage, or at least spend as little time there as possible. This is coming from someone born and raised in AK - don't hang out in or near Anchorage if you want to experience Alaska.

ETA: Having grown up there, there are generally two sort of distinct types of vacationers to AK. Those who go on cruises/guided tours, and those who are much more self-sufficient (go up and camp, go out fishing, etc on their own). The latter get a much more authentic experience.

Looking at the ABD itinerary, aside from going up to Denali, there isn't anything that sticks out as things Alaskans (at least myself and the others I know) would consider noteworthy or do unless we're (really) bored. They're all things that are easily done on your own if you choose - no need for a guide to take a trip down to Girdwood for ex. The tour also leaves off so much, like the Kenai Pen (fishing, glacier cruise), that are things Alaskans actually do choose to do. The itinerary is a bit odd to me, bc I would consider most of the activities on it to be secondary side trips to fill in around main activities like going down to Kenai/Seward/Homer.
I’m with you - my dream non-cruise trip to Alaska includes Fairbanks in June for the midnight sun baseball game, North Pole (because if I’m in already Fairbanks why not?), Utqiaġvik above the Arctic Circle, Denali, Katmai, and Dutch Harbor, Unalaska. Some day....

Alaska is incredible, and it's probably hard to go wrong with ABD. I would encourage a young daughter's interest in someplace like Alaska. It's hard to beat for instilling a sense of freedom, independence, and adventure.

May is a pretty good time to go because it won't be very dark or cold and there wont yet be bugs.

I’m with you - my dream non-cruise trip to Alaska includes Fairbanks in June for the midnight sun baseball game, North Pole (because if I’m in already Fairbanks why not?), Utqiaġvik above the Arctic Circle, Denali, Katmai, and Dutch Harbor, Unalaska. Some day....
I took my kids to Alaska in June 2019. @TXAKDisneyFan is absolutely right. It is fun, easy, and cheaper to plan your own trip. We rented a car in Anchorage and travelled central Alaska, with boat, plane, and helicopter excursions added as desired. I actually started with a tour company itinerary, but started changing hotels to use points, then added and deleted experiences, until I had our own tailored trip. Driving is easy in the summer, and the scenery at times is just breathtaking. If you do have a road trip element, I highly recommend getting a copy of The Milepost. It is an incredibly detailed road guide, which will help you enjoy your time in transit.

And @Mathmagicland, we did several of your dream items, including Denali, Fairbanks for the solstice, and a day trip to Utqiagvik, where we were lucky enough to catch the Nalukataq whaling festival. It was a great trip!

Last edited:

THanks! I have come to that conclusion as well. I am an avid expert trip planner and I easily found the acitivities to duplicate. HOWEVER, such as life, zero interest from my DH on the trip. So I am holding out for Italy 2021 or doing my own Japan trip 2021 and planned an amazing Boston week that for my family is WAY BETTER than ABD proposal. I agree, they are amazing when you are overseas or doing true exclusives - our NYC was awesome - but I can handle Alaska or any other USA pretty easy. Thanks for the validation!

ABD for some trips may be more expensive than planning and implementing a trip on your own BUT some are willing to pay more for convenience and insightful commentary throughout the vacation experience. Alaska is sooooooo beautiful. I think folks will enjoy our largest state no matter which planning option they choose. A good time to all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter