Thoughts on Healthy (or at least healthier!) Eating in the Parks

chescat

We're all mad here...
One of my goals for our recent two week trip was to “aim to eat better than I do at home.” We eat fairly healthily, so this largely meant (1) taking advantage of fruits and veggies whenever available, and (2) avoiding most standard fast food fare like pizza, burgers, and fries. Having this goal gave me a general guideline without having to be too terribly strict about what I was eating. It was also to help avoid any “tummy troubles” since we tend to start feeling sick on too much fast food.

What this looked like in practice:
  • (1) If I had a snack in a park it was fruit.
  • (2) I only had fries with one meal during the entire trip.
  • (3) Across all my meals, I actually had a surprising variety of veggies: lettuce, tomato, carrots, peas, corn, broccoli, green beans, peppers, onion, cabbage, cucumber, papaya, kale, beets, spinach, arugala, potatoes, and leeks. Not all were full servings, of course, but it was interesting to see just how many different ones I had in so few park meals.
  • (4) We drank water and tea or coffee (no soda).
  • (5) I tried to balance my proteins so I wasn't always having the same one (if I had chicken for lunch, I'd try to have a different protein for dinner, such as beef).
  • (6) We kept some healthier snacks in our room, like fresh and dried fruit, and dried veggies.
Add the above to all the walking we did, and neither my husband nor I gained any weight over the two weeks (driving to and from Illinois, one week at Disney, and two days at Universal). I also never felt restricted. My one must-do item at the Food & Wine Fest, for instance, was a dessert. I also had dessert at Be Our Guest (grey stuff, yum!) and we had potato chips and popcorn as some of our in-room snacks.

What else would you add or change? I'd love to hear tips from others.

There is NO WAY I am giving up my soft drinks. In fact, while I like Coke just fine, I carry Mountain Dew with me for in the room, since Disney doesn't do Pepsi products any more. I think I eat better on vacation anyway, especially the table service selections.

There is NO WAY I am giving up my soft drinks. In fact, while I like Coke just fine, I carry Mountain Dew with me for in the room, since Disney doesn't do Pepsi products any more. I think I eat better on vacation anyway, especially the table service selections.

Haha, fair enough! My list certainly isn't meant to be prescriptive in any way. I'm genuinely curious what others do. My husband drinks some soda at home, but I find it too sugary for myself, and I don't like carbonation (soda, champagne, or even carbonated water).

We’re going in a few months and I’ve already started thinking about what groceries we’ll order and what quick service meals I’ll choose. I’m not as worried about the table service meals because I think it’s much easier to find healthier options there.

I’ve noticed that a lot of quick service places offer salads now, so I plan to order those when possible. If one isn’t available, I’ll probably just go with a grilled chicken sandwich, or something similar, and ditch the bun.

I’m a former soda addict and I don’t plan on falling off the wagon at WDW, so I’ll order some La Croix and keep it in our fridge. I can bring a couple into the parks each day or have them with our late night popcorn. We’ll be on the dining plan, so we’ll have snack credits to use, but I’ll also bring in some other snacks - like larabars, almonds, fruit, carrots, etc.

I know I’ll indulge in some treats while we’re there, but I’ll probably spilt them with my husband and/or kids. I’m usually satisfied with sweets after a couple of bites.

I just can’t spend an entire week eating cheeseburgers, fries, and sweets. Don’t get me wrong, I’d LOVE to be able to, but I know myself and I’ll feel like garbage if I eat like that.

I’m interested to hear other’s ideas and tips about specific things to order.

I’m usually satisfied with sweets after a couple of bites.

I just can’t spend an entire week eating cheeseburgers, fries, and sweets. Don’t get me wrong, I’d LOVE to be able to, but I know myself and I’ll feel like garbage if I eat like that.

I’m interested to hear other’s ideas and tips about specific things to order.

These exactly! A big part of our reason for wanting to eat healthier was to keep us from feeling sick or tired during our trip. Some recommendations for specific things you could order:
  • broccoli peppercorn salad at Columbia Harbour House in MK (includes skinless chicken, ask for dressing on the side)
  • ratatouille at Be Our Guest (dinner) in MK
  • any of the bowls at Satu'li Canteen in AK
  • beef and lamb gyros with sides of papaya slaw and bean salad at Harambe Market in AK
I also found fruit available in each park we visited. As you noted, there are salads available at a number of quick service locations, but there are definitely non-salad options to be found if you want more variety. I was pleasantly surprised at how relatively easy it was to find healthier options. A little research and menu reviewing beforehand really went a long way.

These exactly! A big part of our reason for wanting to eat healthier was to keep us from feeling sick or tired during our trip. Some recommendations for specific things you could order:
  • broccoli peppercorn salad at Columbia Harbour House in MK (includes skinless chicken, ask for dressing on the side)
  • ratatouille at Be Our Guest (dinner) in MK
  • any of the bowls at Satu'li Canteen in AK
  • beef and lamb gyros with sides of papaya slaw and bean salad at Harambe Market in AK
I also found fruit available in each park we visited. As you noted, there are salads available at a number of quick service locations, but there are definitely non-salad options to be found if you want more variety. I was pleasantly surprised at how relatively easy it was to find healthier options. A little research and menu reviewing beforehand really went a long way.

Thank you for the suggestions!! I loved the lighthouse sandwich that used to be offered at Columbia Harbor House. I’m sad it’s no longer available, but I’ll be sure to try the broccoli salad!

Thank you for the suggestions!! I loved the lighthouse sandwich that used to be offered at Columbia Harbor House. I’m sad it’s no longer available, but I’ll be sure to try the broccoli salad!

I never got a chance to try the lighthouse sandwich since it was taken off the menu prior to our trip, but I heartily recommend the broccoli peppercorn salad (and I don't normally like raw broccoli). It was delicious, very filling, and we loved CHH's second floor for a relaxing break after our morning touring.

there are SO many great cs choices around the property..... you never need to eat a burger and fries or chicken fingers if you don't want to! (or drink soda either)

I've definitely done a lot of trips down to Florida for audition purposes, or while I was DEEP into my fitness experience (far from that now lol, so my goals next trips are to keep in more in check lol)

#1: The ONLY time I drink soda, even at home is when I'm hungover, hahahah! So that's usually not a problem at WDW, if I was craving something or needed some sugar, I'd do an unsweet tea & sweeten it myself.
#2:I allow myself ONE treat per day, whether that was an alcoholic beverage, a soda, a cupcake, whichever, I could only choose one!
#3: KIDS MEALS! You have to hunt a bit to find ones that aren't chicken nuggets, but some locations have the same as adult "healthier" meals in smaller portions, also great cause you can get yogurt or fruit/veggies in bags that I love to save for later!
#4: Columbia Harbour House was my best friend, grilled salmon with double broccoli, delicious!!
#5: Order sandwiches but take off the top bun, do it open faced, or ask for a burger with no bun/a lettuce wrap instead
#6: If you track your meals at home, try to do that on vacay too, it can be tough but once you've been doing it a while you get pretty decent at knowing portion sizes.
#7: Remember that sometimes salads aren't the healthiest options!
#8: Morocco, Japan, Norway all have delicious and healthy balanced meals, Sunshine Seasons has some great options as well!
#9: Buffets: I always try to do a plate of salads/veggies/omelette/eggs BEFORE indulging into everything else. For desserts, grab a plate & share with someone else at your table, this goes for buffets or regular TS
#10: DDP: y'all it's literally insane how much food you can get on this. If you're getting QS, you can ALWAYS ask for fruits/veg on the side instead of fries or chips, the kids meals always come with them (at most locations), save them for later, great snacks! Same with desserts, sub in grapes or apples, or yogurt! TS wise, you can always sub out sides, ask for stuff done with no/minimal butter, and swap out dessert for fresh fruit! Also again, share things that you might want to indulge in! We also ALWAYS end up with leftover credits at the end of the week, usually end up cashing them in for kids Uncrushable meals since we don't have Uncrustables up here lol!
#11: Cosmic Rays: rotisserie chicken & green beans! Yum! Healthy!

That's all I've got for right now....lol...

Me and my fiancé have learned that we would rather feel good while at Disney. We’ve went once or twice where we ate a little of everything and paid for it in the end. The sugary treats and large meals sure make the 9-10 miles we average per day at Disney quite miserable. I don’t want to eat in a way that will make me want a nap in the afternoon.

I know a lot of people use their vacation as an excuse to splurge on some tasty treats, but if you live close and go often it definitely catches up with you. Disney has made leaps and bounds in offering healthy options in and around the parks. And even if you do want something not exactly *healthy* there’s usually a kids portion of it. Don’t be afraid to ask what you can substitute to meet your dietary needs/preferences.

I don’t really know how people make it at Disney on sodas alone. I feel dehydrated easily at the parks even when taking in a decent amount of water. But I do like a Coke Zero at least once or twice on our trip!

Me and my fiancé have learned that we would rather feel good while at Disney. We’ve went once or twice where we ate a little of everything and paid for it in the end. The sugary treats and large meals sure make the 9-10 miles we average per day at Disney quite miserable. I don’t want to eat in a way that will make me want a nap in the afternoon.

This was a large part of my reasoning as well. We've had trips in the past where we over-indulged and we always ended up regretting it. The last thing I wanted was for either of us to be sick and miserable on our vacation. Taking a more moderate approach meant we got to enjoy some treats, but also our good health and stamina!

My husband and SIL both like to eat healthy with more veggies whenever possible. We were there for 2 weeks on DDP so had a ton of food. It was funny as they both tended to order the same meals.

Lots of seafood possibilities for lighter, less heavy meals.

Their favourites:
- the fish at Whispering Canyon Cafe. They were blown away (the rest of us chowed down on the all you can eat platters haha)
- salmon bowls at Yesake Sushi, a QS in Disney Springs. GIANT portion and all fresh healthy ingredients (u pick your own toppings)
- lovely seafood at the Turf Club in SSR
- Bowls at Satuli Canteen
- Pecos Bill - particularly the toppings bar.
- noodles at Morimoto Asia. DH said the broth was very tasty and he would do it again.
- Yak and Yeti pleased our whole party. We went twice.

We got tired quicker than I expected of a few places that I had thought we would love:
- Columbia Harbor House. I liked the lobster roll but the seafood platter wasn't good. We ate here a few times until we gave up
- Wolfgang Puck Express. My healthy eaters don't like salads much and quickly found out the rest of the food was heavy, cheesy, and salty. We ate here 2-3 times as it was close to SSR but then stayed away afterwards

Beaches & Cream at the BC offers a filling and flavorful veggie burger (minus the sauce and bun) and the cobb salad at the Hollywood Brown Derby is also a healthier option that we always enjoy. I’ve found that throwing a few That’s It fruit bars from home into my park bag make it easy to enjoy a healthful snack in the parks as well

The biggest thing will be water instead of soda if you are a soda drinker. Also whole wheats and veggies high in fibre, not only will they help you feel full longer but it will help with your blood sugar roller coaster and give you energy for longer.

Wow I admire your plan but I could never do it. I have walked off 108 pounds in the last 14 months. I now was 12 to 15 miles a day (not on a treadmill actual walking). For 2 weeks I am going to pretend I don't monitor everything I east.

Wow I admire your plan but I could never do it. I have walked off 108 pounds in the last 14 months. I now was 12 to 15 miles a day (not on a treadmill actual walking). For 2 weeks I am going to pretend I don't monitor everything I east.

Wow, congratulations!! That's fantastic! It sounds to me like you've definitely earned a break. ::yes:: Have a great time!

Wow, congratulations!! That's fantastic! It sounds to me like you've definitely earned a break. ::yes:: Have a great time!
I had to, I had a health scare then (thank G*d they found out what was wrong) and my daughter told me I had to take care of myself. If I dead she would have to live with her mother and that just would not work.

I was just looking at a bunch of lists of "must try" snacks at Disney, and most of them are overwhelmingly sugary. I also pack the 100-calorie packs of almonds to snack on if I need a protein boost while I'm in the park. I find this works much better long-term than the quick sugar-rush from a cupcake or churro. That doesn't mean I'm forgoing a Dole Whip on occasion while I'm there though. :earboy2:

I was just looking at a bunch of lists of "must try" snacks at Disney, and most of them are overwhelmingly sugary. I also pack the 100-calorie packs of almonds to snack on if I need a protein boost while I'm in the park. I find this works much better long-term than the quick sugar-rush from a cupcake or churro. That doesn't mean I'm forgoing a Dole Whip on occasion while I'm there though. :earboy2:

I noticed the same thing when doing research on here for our first trip. So many of the snack and even meal suggestions are so sweet! I had to start taking recommendations with a grain of salt (or maybe I should say a grain of sugar!) :rotfl:It's not that I snub sugar or sweets. I just genuinely don't have much of a sweet tooth. A piece of fruit or just a few bites of something like cake or ice cream and I'm good.

This doesn't have necessarily to do with Disney, but I've changed my food habits so much since losing the Freshman 15 at college. I try to avoid high processed foods, carb food items--especially refined carbs like cakes/rice/pasta, and dairy if possible. I eat high protein items with lots of veggies and fruit. After that, I do not limit myself. For example, a Dole Whip is the perfect cold treat and I don't worry about the calories. I did treat myself a few times on vacation, but all the walking burned it off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!