Thoughts on Portofino post trip

MDH

The Dude
Ok, I'm putting this out there for anyone who was in a similar boat to me. never had been to Universal, had been to Disney a few time. Family with children age 6 to 12. 3 night stay during the festival of Harry Potter. 4 adults, 3 kids in one portofino suite.

WOW. Not kidding. First off, financials. I was able to snag an annual pass rate for the room literally the week before we left. I had booked months out in advance, but never was an APH rate available. I checked diligently and 6 days before arrival it opened up and I was able to switch. the savings pushed our hotel down 380 bucks over the 3 days, so that paid for the pass in itself, never mind the food and beverage discounts. I don't have to use my pass another time this year and I'm ahead. Cost of suite with connecting 2 queen room pool view was 1612 after taxes. That seems expensive, but compare it to normally having to get 2 rooms, and I'm at essentially 250 a night. For what you get, it's a no brainer.

What you get. You get a hotel that is simply beautiful. My parents were with us, so we had a large age range, and EVERYONE loved it. the shops, the dining, the sitting areas, the scenery, the pool, it's all beautiful. The kids LOVED the pool, and so did I. My mom and dad loved getting up for coffee, walking around, enjoying the spas. My wife and I loved it all. You get transportation that is very frequent (never waited for a boat more than 5 minutes) and quick (5 minutes ride) to the parks. You get Unlimited express pass. It's always stated as a 120 dollar value per person per night or something like that. I wouldn't say that. That's what it costs, sure, but I'd never pay that personally. This sounds like I'm being negative on it, I'm not, I loved it. I'm just saying I don't think it's worth the 2500 it would have cost us out of pocket. But to have it included for free with my essentially 250 per family per night at this hotel???? WOW. You get staff that is extremely helpful and pleasant. You get rooms that are very large and beautiful. If you're lucky like me, you get to meet the actress who played Tonks in the potter movies down in the lobby getting coffee at 7AM in per pyjamas :)

I know this is a bit scattered. But I was just so thrilled, I had to write something. I had no desire to do a trip report or anything like that, but I had so many questions going in, and I know that lot's of other people likely have the same ones. I hope this helps. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to stay here again. The initial up front cost is higher, but after all the savings you get, especially if you get an AP, it's the easiest decision in the world. Already planning my next trip.

Ok, I'm putting this out there for anyone who was in a similar boat to me. never had been to Universal, had been to Disney a few time. Family with children age 6 to 12. 3 night stay during the festival of Harry Potter. 4 adults, 3 kids in one portofino suite.

WOW. Not kidding. First off, financials. I was able to snag an annual pass rate for the room literally the week before we left. I had booked months out in advance, but never was an APH rate available. I checked diligently and 6 days before arrival it opened up and I was able to switch. the savings pushed our hotel down 380 bucks over the 3 days, so that paid for the pass in itself, never mind the food and beverage discounts. I don't have to use my pass another time this year and I'm ahead. Cost of suite with connecting 2 queen room pool view was 1612 after taxes. That seems expensive, but compare it to normally having to get 2 rooms, and I'm at essentially 250 a night. For what you get, it's a no brainer.

What you get. You get a hotel that is simply beautiful. My parents were with us, so we had a large age range, and EVERYONE loved it. the shops, the dining, the sitting areas, the scenery, the pool, it's all beautiful. The kids LOVED the pool, and so did I. My mom and dad loved getting up for coffee, walking around, enjoying the spas. My wife and I loved it all. You get transportation that is very frequent (never waited for a boat more than 5 minutes) and quick (5 minutes ride) to the parks. You get Unlimited express pass. It's always stated as a 120 dollar value per person per night or something like that. I wouldn't say that. That's what it costs, sure, but I'd never pay that personally. This sounds like I'm being negative on it, I'm not, I loved it. I'm just saying I don't think it's worth the 2500 it would have cost us out of pocket. But to have it included for free with my essentially 250 per family per night at this hotel???? WOW. You get staff that is extremely helpful and pleasant. You get rooms that are very large and beautiful. If you're lucky like me, you get to meet the actress who played Tonks in the potter movies down in the lobby getting coffee at 7AM in per pyjamas :)

I know this is a bit scattered. But I was just so thrilled, I had to write something. I had no desire to do a trip report or anything like that, but I had so many questions going in, and I know that lot's of other people likely have the same ones. I hope this helps. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to stay here again. The initial up front cost is higher, but after all the savings you get, especially if you get an AP, it's the easiest decision in the world. Already planning my next trip.

Glad to hear you liked it. My DH and I spent 3 nights there a while ago and had a similar opinion. The boats were quick and we enjoyed the pools. I usually stay at Cabana Bay on my solo trips, but I do pool hop over to the Villa pool at PBH for an afternoon.

I will be checking into PBH in 18 days and I am so excited as I've never stayed there before. My only deluxe hotel experience is with Royal Pacific almost 7 years ago. Thank you for posting this. It's been a long work week and reading your thoughts really brightened my day!

Fabulous to hear you enjoyed PB so much.......it is a beautiful hotel.......

Also glad to hear you plan to go back!

How cool on meeting Tonks. We have tried all the Universal hotel and while we have enjoyed them all, Portofino is by far our favorite. Just book a week in May and can't wait to be back. Glad you had a great experience!

Thank you for this. We are going for our first trip to Universal in March and I have booked PBH. It looks just lovely and checked off all the things we are looking for in a hotel, so hoping it is as lovely in person as it seems online. And your review certainly supports that it is.

Just last night we started finalizing our plans, looks like August is happening!

That's awesome! I am working through the logistics of a second trip within the year to make the most of annual passes, but have to figure out when that will work for work/school/flight costs.

Reactions: MDH
MDH so glad to hear you had a great time at PBH. It is my favorite resort. I never get tired of staying there. The staff are incredible from the time you check in until you check out. It is beautiful ::yes::

Reactions: MDH

I am glad you had a great time. I am considering staying at Portofino Bay for my next universal trip. Admittedly, I am a Disney guy all the way but I really do enjoy the resorts at Universal. I wouldn't mind hitting those parks again either but I am totally up for just a resort stay and enjoy the food etc.

I will have to look into the AP price and see what is worth it for me!

We have found every Universal hotel, well the 3 deluxes, to be wonderful and really good values for what you get. The AP discount just makes it even better. We also like PBH, but DH and DS really like the convenience and atmosphere of Hard Rock. I like that PHB always seems to have better discounts.

We have found every Universal hotel, well the 3 deluxes, to be wonderful and really good values for what you get. The AP discount just makes it even better. We also like PBH, but DH and DS really like the convenience and atmosphere of Hard Rock. I like that PHB always seems to have better discounts.
Can you give me an idea of what your AP discount is for resorts? I am currently a WDW AP holder but I am interested in trying out Universal again...especially for the resorts.

I can tell you exactly, just let me look up what we received. I'll be back later with answer.

Can you give me an idea of what your AP discount is for resorts? I am currently a WDW AP holder but I am interested in trying out Universal again...especially for the resorts.

I think you can always see it by going to the passholders section of the Universal site. You don't have to have an account or AP number.

https://www.universalorlando.com/we...ges/annual-passes/your-annual-pass/index.html

Click on the 2nd tab for hotel offers, pick a hotel, and then dates. It will tell you if any are available for that time and what they are.

https://www.universalorlando.com/we...sses/your-annual-pass/index.html#hotel-offers

For our upcoming trip, 3/9-12, the original rate for Hard Rock 2 queen pool view room was $529. With the AP discount, I got $354 (3/9-10) and $324 (3/11). So, pretty significant. AP discounts are not guaranteed during all times, at all hotels, or for all rooms. They tend to go quickly for Royal Pacific and for the cheaper rooms at all of the deluxe hotel. You don't have to have an AP to book the room; you just need one at checkin or sometime during your stay. As others have said, the Universal AP often pays for itself in one visit.

Ok, for our stay in late january we had a portofino suite, for 7 guests. regular rate was 1842 before taxes. We paid 1441 before taxes with the AP. During my searches before I booked , I know that a regular room dropped from like 416 to 240 or 250 for those dates. So VERY significant. Pretty much one night pays for the annual pass vs a 2 day ticket. Couple that with getting 10% off any food and merchandise as well.

I think you can always see it by going to the passholders section of the Universal site. You don't have to have an account or AP number.

https://www.universalorlando.com/we...ges/annual-passes/your-annual-pass/index.html

Click on the 2nd tab for hotel offers, pick a hotel, and then dates. It will tell you if any are available for that time and what they are.

https://www.universalorlando.com/we...sses/your-annual-pass/index.html#hotel-offers

For our upcoming trip, 3/9-12, the original rate for Hard Rock 2 queen pool view room was $529. With the AP discount, I got $354 (3/9-10) and $324 (3/11). So, pretty significant. AP discounts are not guaranteed during all times, at all hotels, or for all rooms. They tend to go quickly for Royal Pacific and for the cheaper rooms at all of the deluxe hotel. You don't have to have an AP to book the room; you just need one at checkin or sometime during your stay. As others have said, the Universal AP often pays for itself in one visit.

Ok, for our stay in late january we had a portofino suite, for 7 guests. regular rate was 1842 before taxes. We paid 1441 before taxes with the AP. During my searches before I booked , I know that a regular room dropped from like 416 to 240 or 250 for those dates. So VERY significant. Pretty much one night pays for the annual pass vs a 2 day ticket. Couple that with getting 10% off any food and merchandise as well.

Wow that is quite significant. I will have to bite the bullet and look in to an AP at Universal. It's hard to beat the Disney bug but I sure will try!

Wow that is quite significant. I will have to bite the bullet and look in to an AP at Universal. It's hard to beat the Disney bug but I sure will try!
so just a thought on that. I LOVE disney. Like I'd like to quit my job and sell ice cream there. And that being said, I was super impressed with our first visit to universal last month. The parks are themed well. The harry potter areas don't have a peer in disney in my opinion for how amazing they are. Maybe Pandora now. Islands of Adventure certainly has a more themed look, but Universal studios is great as well. One thing of note, a much higher percentage of rides incorporate screens in them. So if motion simulators give you pause, there won't be as many rides to ride. If not, they are an absolute blast. A last comment is that while I feel disney is amazing for all ages, I feel the age band is narrowed for Universal. I wouldn't want to go there with kids under 44 inches as they'd be very limited what they could ride.

so just a thought on that. I LOVE disney. Like I'd like to quit my job and sell ice cream there. And that being said, I was super impressed with our first visit to universal last month. The parks are themed well. The harry potter areas don't have a peer in disney in my opinion for how amazing they are. Maybe Pandora now. Islands of Adventure certainly has a more themed look, but Universal studios is great as well. One thing of note, a much higher percentage of rides incorporate screens in them. So if motion simulators give you pause, there won't be as many rides to ride. If not, they are an absolute blast. A last comment is that while I feel disney is amazing for all ages, I feel the age band is narrowed for Universal. I wouldn't want to go there with kids under 44 inches as they'd be very limited what they could ride.
I have been to Universal only 2-3 times. I will say I like the parks overall. I think Disney does a better job with themeing overall. Harry Potter is better themed than Pandora but the Flight of Passage ride is better than the HP rides IMO.

I love Loews Hotels too so that is a no brainer.

Thanks for you input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!