Ticket ? - WWYD

ksl5f123

DIS Veteran
First a little background: We are going for our first trip during the last week of July. We are a family of 7 - the kids are 13, 11, 9, 4, and 11 months. To save money, we are staying offsite. DH, the 13 yo and 9 yo will ride roller coasters. The rest of us will not but the 11 yo has read all of the HP books and is looking forward to seeing that area.

Now the question: I think we have settled on 2 day tickets. I think we should get park-to-park tickets and maybe even consider springing for the Express Pass. DH thinks we should just get base tickets and save the money. My argument: We have never been before and we don't know what we will like. Park to park tickets give us more flexibility to avoid crowds and seek out things fun for all ages. DH's argument: We have never been so there are probably plenty of things in each part to fill one day. People who have been there, what would you recommend? TIA!!

you HAVE to have park to park tickets in order to get to the two Harry Potter lands via the train. while the two parks are within 'walking distance' when it comes to switch over would you rather wait for 10 -20 minutes, take the train, get a cute storyline en route( different one each way) or go aallllll the way back to the front of the park,. exit then schlep across the bridge and stand in line to get into the other park?!

I don't think each park is a day by itself.. more like 3/4 of one.

2 day park to parks. Wait and see on Express Passes. Or just buy for the big thrill riders. Either way I'd wait on those.
Is an off site hotel cheaper than Cabana Bay by a lot? I know their peak season rates are always higher than I expect but still not sure how it shakes out. Early entry is sweet.

We always bounce back and forth since it's so easy to do and you can move if crowds get too high in one park. With title ones you can also split up and stay with some of the kid friendly rides while the thrill seekers bounce around.

I'd also agree with pp that suggested EPs for the older kids but not everyone. You can buy those day of.

With base tickets, you can't ride the Hogwarts Express since it takes you from one park to another.

DH doesn't think that one attraction is worth $330 (the cost to upgrade all of our tickets from base to park-to-park). :(

2 day park to parks. Wait and see on Express Passes. Or just buy for the big thrill riders. Either way I'd wait on those.
Is an off site hotel cheaper than Cabana Bay by a lot? I know their peak season rates are always higher than I expect but still not sure how it shakes out. Early entry is sweet.

YES! For a big family. The cheapest room is $235/night (including tax) and we need two rooms. We can get a 3 bedroom condo with a private splash pool at an offsite location for $155/night - That is a savings of $315/night!

We always bounce back and forth since it's so easy to do and you can move if crowds get too high in one park. With title ones you can also split up and stay with some of the kid friendly rides while the thrill seekers bounce around.

I'd also agree with pp that suggested EPs for the older kids but not everyone. You can buy those day of.

Thanks! That is what I am leaning toward. I needed to hear others say it is a good idea.

Here is my differing opinion. In the middle of the summer I would stay onsite at a hotel with express passes for several reasons.

1. Proximity to hotel. You can head back to the hotel quickly around lunch time to swim and cool off before heading back to the park.

2. Express pass. Having the express pass in the summer heat and crowds is lovely and will save you hours and hours waiting in line.

3. Early admission. Summer gets hot really quickly. It is nice to be able to take advantage of early admission and get a good start on the day.

It is definitely more expensive but makes a huge difference in your enjoyment. If you are going to buy express passes for the entire family, I would look at staying onsite an one of the hotels where it is included. Remember that you get two day's express for one night's stay.

However, your question was only about the tickets. If you want to save money, then definitely just buy the one park per day.

One more idea. You could get a "throw away room" for one night at the onsite deluxe hotels listing the older kids and husband. Then those 4 would get free unlimited EPs for both check in and check out day. Depending on the cost of the EPs that might actually be cheaper (I would think unlimited EP for 2 days for 4 would be more than $235-it may actually SAVE $$). You don't have to actually use the room but you could take the littlest one back for a nap or let your husband and the older kids stay the one night for a fun "adventure" for the big kids.

The 11 yo would also get early entry to really see the harry potter area without crowds too.

One more idea. You could get a "throw away room" for one night at the onsite deluxe hotels listing the older kids and husband. Then those 4 would get free unlimited EPs for both check in and check out day. Depending on the cost of the EPs that might actually be cheaper (I would think unlimited EP for 2 days for 4 would be more than $235-it may actually SAVE $$). You don't have to actually use the room but you could take the littlest one back for a nap or let your husband and the older kids stay the one night for a fun "adventure" for the big kids.

The 11 yo would also get early entry to really see the harry potter area without crowds too.
Love this idea!

This is an interesting idea! I priced it out. Please make sure I got this right. The cheapest hotel with EP is Royal Pacific. One night is $415. The cost to get unlimited EP for DH and the 2 who will do thrill rides for both days is $720. The cost to get one time use EP for each day for those three is $490. If we want EP then the room is cheaper as we could put 4 people in the room and have EP for DH and all 3 of the big kids. If we "downgrade" the tickets from park-to-park to base tickets, that saves $300.

So, I guess the question is this: What is the better use of $300-$400 in late July - park to park or a room with EP? I am pretty sure that DH will not want to do both.

This is an interesting idea! I priced it out. Please make sure I got this right. The cheapest hotel with EP is Royal Pacific. One night is $415. The cost to get unlimited EP for DH and the 2 who will do thrill rides for both days is $720. The cost to get one time use EP for each day for those three is $490. If we want EP then the room is cheaper as we could put 4 people in the room and have EP for DH and all 3 of the big kids. If we "downgrade" the tickets from park-to-park to base tickets, that saves $300.

So, I guess the question is this: What is the better use of $300-$400 in late July - park to park or a room with EP? I am pretty sure that DH will not want to do both.

If if it were me in July I'd pick EP over park to park- the crowds and heat will be high and being able to zip onto rides will be a lifesaver (plus being able to get on the rides right away helps mitigate the need to switch parks when crowd levels rise. EP won't be as important for the little ones since there are a lot of play areas that don't have lines. As a bonus experiencing EP will probably make your husband fall in love with Universal so he'll be gung-ho about returning, staying onsite, park to park for a future visit!

If if it were me in July I'd pick EP over park to park- the crowds and heat will be high and being able to zip onto rides will be a lifesaver (plus being able to get on the rides right away helps mitigate the need to switch parks when crowd levels rise. EP won't be as important for the little ones since there are a lot of play areas that don't have lines. As a bonus experiencing EP will probably make your husband fall in love with Universal so he'll be gung-ho about returning, staying onsite, park to park for a future visit!

Hi :wave:I have to agree if there was a choice I would take the room at RPR and get the EP and EE for your DH and three oldest. Personally my DH will never do a trip without park to park regardless of the cost he likes that freedom. I can understand your DH looking at saving money. We will be there the same time as you. July 28th to August 4th. We are staying at Cabana Bay but getting a room at RPR for one night for EP. I hope you have a great trip we love Universal!!:banana:

I'd definitely do onsite with EP over park to park. It just changes the entire experience.

Definitely Express Pass over Park to Park. EP is amazing.
All rooms that come with EP accommodate 5 so list yourself on their too to get EP! The only hard part will be convincing those with EP to wait with the little ones on rides they can do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!