Time Makes You Bolder - Journey to WDW 2021 - Comments Welcome

Willow526

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone. I’m Marissa, and I’m a (close to) running newbie hoping to make her way to Marathon Weekend in 2021. Welcome to my journal; I’ve been reading here, though I’ve been shy to jump in, and I hope to make some running buddies who understand what motivation that Disney finish line is.

For a little about me, I’m 29 and a mom of, at least for a few more days, two under two - a little boy who’s turning two this weekend and a six month old little girl. I’m a stay at home mom with a background in teaching and nothing in the world makes me happier than my family. We’ll actually be taking our first trip as a family to WDW the week preceding marathon weekend for my daughter’s first birthday, and I’ve caught this bug that for her second birthday, I want to show her I can run it.

As for my fitness background, I’ve always been active but I’ve never particularly worked out. Before kids, my husband and I would spend most of our weekend time walking around the city we then lived in or doing little hikes. I completed couch to 5k at that point in my life as well and really enjoyed it. Then I made the incredible but whew buddy sometimes questionable decision to have two babies in the span of seventeen months (at a casual 8lbs and 10lbs each.) I’m still active - I have the kids out running around at parks or on hikes daily and wear my daughter for about three hours a day as we do it - but I definitely have some post partum challenges, mainly from diastasis recti. For those of you who aren’t familiar with it, it’s when your abs separate after the process of pregnancy and birth and don’t knit back together well quickly. The gap between my abs is fairly large, and it’s knocked out a lot of my strength. I can get pretty down sometimes that my body looks and functions so much differently now than it has in the past; that formerly 10lb baby is my whole life, but she did not come cheap!

Like I said, really exercising on a schedule is pretty new to me, save for my prior C25k completion, but I want to gain some control back over my physical form and start working with the body I have now to make it the strong body I know it can be. Since I did really enjoy C25K in the past, I thought it would be a fine place to start, and I can build from there towards my ultimate marathon goal. I walk the St Jude Walk/run in our area every September, so I’m currently completing C25k to train for that run then I’ll begin half training between end of September and December.

I’m still acclimating to the boards and learning the culture here, but it seems like a really great place to stay motivated. Thank you all for having me!

You guys are so supportive. Thank you so much for reading.

I’m heading out in a few minutes to start my last run of C25k week 1, and then we’re off to the mountains to celebrate my son’s second birthday this weekend. Cannot wait to get out of the 110 heat index!

Wahoo first update!

Last week’s runs:

C25k Week 1

Sunday - 1.5 miles // 30:00

Tuesday - 1.65 miles // 31:04

Thursday - 1.95 miles // 26:17

Sunday (today) - 2.00 miles // 28.06

This week’s plan:

Tuesday: W2D2

Thursday: W2D3

Saturday: W3D1

I’m still at the very beginning of the program, so my runs are pretty easy. Today I worked in some hills in our neighborhood to up the difficulty level a little though and feel like I was getting more of a work out. I think I’ll incorporate the hills every other day this coming week. I’m also completing a program called MUTU daily (well, most days, but I strive for daily) which is pelvic floor support to help my diastasis recti. We traveled this week, though, which really threw off my routine for getting it done :( But back at it today!!

On the personal front, it was my son’s second birthday yesterday which is why we were traveling. We were supposed to be in the mountains until Monday, but he was struggling so much sleep wise (and us with him) that we just called it and drove home 😱 It felt right to get him back to his own bed, though, and not force a trip “for his birthday” but actually for us.

Another week down! This week wasn’t a 10/10 success for me, but it wasn’t bad! Our two year old has been really struggling with bed time and it’s taking a toll on all of us and threw off my weekday run schedule a little, but I was able to make up for it this weekend with my husband’s help 💪🏼

This week’s runs were...

Tuesday - 2.07 miles/31:52
Saturday - 2.05/31:19
Sunday - 2.09/32:08

Thoughts on the runs...

I’m really not in love with C25K for my goals right now, but I don’t really know what else to do. Obviously I’m not moving quickly but I’m fine with that. With the place I’m at post partum recovery wise, I’m not too interested in speed and don’t really want to push my pelvic floor that way. What’s frustrating me is that I could keep going a lot longer on these runs than I am, but I don’t want to over train/definitely don’t know what I’m doing in looking for a plan, so I’m just sticking with what the program gives me but never feel like I’m getting a real work out. Like I talked about last week, I did add in hills and that adds some challenge but it’s not enough.

Upcoming races -

St. Jude 5k - September 29
Local Half Marathon - Dec 7

I wish I could just fast forward through the 5k and 5k training and get right to the half. I find the idea of adding more distances really exciting and think doing it with walk/run intervals is going to be great for my body but still a good challenge. I feel stuck in the 5k training though because finishing the 5k without walking is a goal....just not one that’s all that stimulating, you know?

Hope everyone has a great upcoming week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!