Time to bring back the talking mouse!!

tommygunn

Maniacal Disney Addict!!!!!
Just got back from a fantastic trip at WDW. Hot as heck but still a great time.

But boy I sure do miss talking Mickey. Why was the mouse silenced??

Good question! He was one of the highlights of our trip last year and will be missed when we go next week.

I’m guessing it’s cost cutting maybe? Cheaper to have a standard greeting vs the team that it takes to pull off the talking Mickey.

I've read several reasons on these boards. They hadn't found a way to get him to respond appropriately and promptly to unexpected questions, so it could get a bit awkward if you said anything that wasn't part of his scripted interaction. Supposedly the Mickey head was uncomfortable and sometimes caused injuries for the wearer. Some kids didn't understand why Mickey could talk at the Town Square but not at other meet and greet locations. And yes, silent Mickey is cheaper.

Even with all this, I also preferred talking Mickey. I was hoping that ultimately he would be able to converse in real time even if you say something not on his script. I was also hoping for a talking Donald.

This is just my opinion, no official statement about it has ever been issued, but, I think it was a problem due to the fact that kids were getting confused and didn't understand why the M&G for Mickey didn't have a Mickey that talked to them. I can understand a kid getting upset by that and wonder why they just saw Mickey talking but now he wouldn't talk to them. The problem of getting people the right size to fit the Mickey position that also could easily operate the mechanics was difficult as well. There was no consistency of quality and the voice was another impossible way to keep consistent. It was a noble effort, but I feel that the problems vastly outweighed the positives. Mickey had been making the rounds for 60 years without talking with no one really complaining about it. They were better off to just ditch it and go back to the way it was.

Remember this is just speculation on my part. I don't know why for sure, but, what I just said makes sense to me anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!