Time to rant...

Back to the topic at hand. My plan is not to reply to the OT comments regardless of what they are...

I love that they have the board up telling when the next bus will come. They don't have enough though. At Pop they need one for each line because you can't see it from all the lines.

I think the buses are a perk. Maybe if I took public transportation all the time I wouldn't want to take a bus. My husband has a 2-hour commute driving every day and the last thing he wants to do on vacation is drive. But if the wait for the buses was 40 minutes to get to the park he might consider it.

I guess I'm thankful we've never had that issue. I have read bus horror stories on DIS about lines and waits.

First, I never said anyone EXPECTS my husband to give up his seat to them. Or would assume my husband would. Although now that you mention it, maybe some do. I don’t know. But I never said that.

Second, I never ASKED anyone to do anything. I’ve never asked anyone to wait for the next bus.

As for “I sometimes feel like I wish there were fewer guests in the parks, so lines for rides would be shorter. However, that does not mean I'll tell other people that they should stay home, or that they're endangering their children's welfare by bringing them into a crowded park. They have no obligation to accommodate my feelings on this matter, any more than I'm obligated to accommodate theirs,” if you think that’s anything close to the same thing then you misunderstood me completely. If I had said that my husband wants to sit so no one else should get on the bus before him or with him so he can be have a seat or the whole bus to himself then maybe that would be an argument. I said no such thing.

Obviously you take issue with a man offering you his seat. You view it as sexist. I think that’s a whole other issue. I won’t apologize because my husband politely offers his seat to someone who looks like they need it more. Especially since you seem to have an issue with it in any situation, not just the scenario I mentioned.

Well, I think we're both misunderstanding each other then. Because I literally wrote,

"Personally, I have no issues with anyone offering anyone else a seat. I think it's a lovely gesture, and should be taken in the spirit that it's intended. It's a gift, not an obligation (on either the part of the giver OR recipient). Everyone, on all sides, needs to try to be gracious about it."

That's not at all "having an issue with it in any situation". Nor do I have an issue with "men" (or women) offering me their seat. Where it gets obnoxious is when they won't take a pleasant smile and a "No, thank you," for an answer. Which I assure you, does happen. Though, please believe, I am not accusing your husband of doing this.

I'm just trying to explain why a woman might sometimes say, "Thank you!" and sit, even though she doesn't necessarily need to. Same as, someone else might hesitate to offer their seat up, because they've had bad experiences ("Do I look old!?" "Do you think I'm too weak, just because I'm a woman!?") Or someone else might feel obliged to offer, because they got yelled at for not getting out of their seat when they were young. Everyone's got their reasons for offering, or not offering, and accepting or not accepting.

Also, you did say... "I say wait for the next bus if you have babies. It's not fair to the other people who got seats first."

Which does really sound like you're asking other people to wait for the next bus. Or telling them. Sure, you'd never be so rude as to tell them to their face, but posting it to a message board like this is really the next best thing. You're hoping they'll read it, and then think twice about getting on the bus and making your husband feel obligated to give up his seat.

I understand you're trying to protect your husband from himself. But, this isn't the way to do it. Because there's really very little difference between, "These people should stand at the bus stop holding their babies for another 20 minutes (at minimum!) so my husband doesn't have to get up out of his seat," and "No one should get on the bus before us." You're asking people to inconvenience themselves in order to accommodate your husband (who, truthfully, doesn't have to get up at all).

Those people with babies aren't being "unfair" to you and your husband. They're not being "unfair" to anyone. They're just trying to get back to their resort.

What's "unfair" is trying to put the burden of your husband's ankle-health on someone who has never even met him (or you).

Back to the topic at hand. My plan is not to reply to the OT comments regardless of what they are...

I love that they have the board up telling when the next bus will come. They don't have enough though. At Pop they need one for each line because you can't see it from all the lines.

I think the buses are a perk. Maybe if I took public transportation all the time I wouldn't want to take a bus. My husband has a 2-hour commute driving every day and the last thing he wants to do on vacation is drive. But if the wait for the buses was 40 minutes to get to the park he might consider it.

I guess I'm thankful we've never had that issue. I have read bus horror stories on DIS about lines and waits.

I do love this, too!

I wish they had it at all the bus stops in my own home town. There was actually a local fellow who created an app, which would show where your bus was in real time. It worked really, really well, because it used the bus company's own data (from drivers calling in at checkpoints). But the bus company shut him down, because apparently they didn't like how easy it was to see that their busses were running off the posted schedule.

I take public transit all the time, and I still consider the Disney busses a perk. I think the fact that I'm familiar with public transit makes me all the more appreciative of how generally efficient and well-run Disney's bus system is.

:hippie:

Sure, you'd never be so rude as to tell them to their face, but posting it to a message board like this is really the next best thing. You're hoping they'll read it, and then think twice about getting on the bus and making your husband feel obligated to give up his seat.
Actually, to be honest, when I replied I REALLY wasn't thinking of those parents reading it and thinking twice about it, etc. So, no, you're wrong. I wasn't "hoping they'll read it." If that was my intention I would have created a thread myself about it. It really was just a comment. Probably a comment I shouldn't have posted on someone else's thread. But I didn't realize how many people would react to it.

I don't mind discussing my comment. I really don't. Or the replying to comments others made about it. But this isn't my thread and while I could reply to the rest of your comment, I won't. I don't want to end a conversation someone else wants to have, but I feel at this point it's taking over someone else's thread. I could delete my original comment, but then there are also all the quotes and replies to it. So I will bow out. Again, I apologize if I've offended anyone.

I do love this, too!

I wish they had it at all the bus stops in my own home town. There was actually a local fellow who created an app, which would show where your bus was in real time. It worked really, really well, because it used the bus company's own data (from drivers calling in at checkpoints). But the bus company shut him down, because apparently they didn't like how easy it was to see that their busses were running off the posted schedule.

I take public transit all the time, and I still consider the Disney busses a perk. I think the fact that I'm familiar with public transit makes me all the more appreciative of how generally efficient and well-run Disney's bus system is.

:hippie:

Agreed, I still think the buses are a perk. Without them, you'd be renting a car, or calling uber/lyft, walking everywhere, taking hot air balloons, etc. Are they the most efficient means of transportation? No, certainly not. But you don't have to use them if you don't feel they are worth your time. Public transportation can be great but most often it is mediocre (here's looking at you, SEPTA), and I have never had a huge problem with Disney buses. Moving large volumes of people at peak times can be difficult for any mode of transit.

Now, if the folks working with the Harry Potter staff over at Universal can invent some actual floo powder or give guests an "apparition pass" to instantly move from place to place? I'd pay more for that...:crazy:

Last edited:
Agreed, I still think the buses are a perk. Without them, you'd be renting a car, or calling uber/lyft, walking everywhere, taking hot air balloons, etc. Are they the most efficient means of transportation? No, certainly not. But you don't have to use them if you don't feel they are worth your time. Public transportation can be great but most often it is mediocre (here's looking at you, SEPTA), and I have never had a huge problem with Disney buses. Moving large volumes of people at peak times can be difficult for any mode of transit.
Agreed. I do think Disney needs to work on having more buses in the evening to get back to the resorts from the parks. That's when I find the waits feel so much longer. But maybe that is all in my mind because to be honest I've never timed the wait. Maybe I'm just tired and it feels longer.

I just feel that it makes more sense for them to have more buses available and ready at each particular park at their time of closing. It's not like the morning or during the day when you have people who leave at different times to get to each park. You know the guests have no choice but to leave the park at that time and there's usually a swarm of people heading to the buses at closing time.

Agreed. I do think Disney needs to work on having more buses in the evening to get back to the resorts from the parks. That's when I find the waits feel so much longer. But maybe that is all in my mind because to be honest I've never timed the wait. Maybe I'm just tired and it feels longer.

I just feel that it makes more sense for them to have more buses available and ready at each particular park at their time of closing. It's not like the morning or during the day when you have people who leave at different times to get to each park. You know the guests have no choice but to leave the park at that time and there's usually a swarm of people heading to the buses at closing time.

I think they have cut back on how many buses they run at night. Years ago it would be one bus right after another. Not anymore.

I would assume since you live an hour away, you would arrive by car? Why not just drive to the parks in your own car since parking is free when staying on disney property?

We always rent a car when we stay on property so we can come and go as we please and don't have to worry about standing on a lurching bus or waiting in lines while our feet are achy.

We talked about this as well.

Why not put those screens in the rooms so you don’t have to wait at the stop for 40 mins. You can see when it should arrive and leave your room aacordingly.

Because the arrival times do change. How angry would guests be if they went to the bus stop and the bus was "late"? Keeping in mind that the buses don't run on a set schedule and the arrival time is an estimate? Or how would you like to get to the stop to be told the bus just left?

Because the arrival times do change. How angry would guests be if they went to the bus stop and the bus was "late"? Keeping in mind that the buses don't run on a set schedule and the arrival time is an estimate? Or how would you like to get to the stop to be told the bus just left?
Exactly. They probably know guests will see the bus comes in 8 minutes and that guests will be running all over the place to catch the bus. They only list the next bus coming. They don't list a complete schedule in advance for what times the buses are each scheduled to arrive.

If we have to treat our vacations that we pay for just like a job interview, then I think I have a bigger problem...

I appreciate your attention to time, as I am the same way in the real world. However, when I pay for a service that says I will get on a bus ROUGHLY every 20 mins, I don't feel like I need to leave 5 times earlier.

So while you all think I should be there 90 mins early, the real story here is that I am still waiting for this service for over 45 mins.

You all are burying the important part of this which is how the transportation is consistently late or lagging.

Clearly, from the other posters, I'm far from the only one who has had to deal with this.
I agree. If these times are the norm (40 mins for a bus???) then there's a problem.Or maybe it's exactly what Disney wants it to be, usable,but inefficient and annoying. That way they can advertise this 'perk' to get people to stay onsite, but the reality is not all
that great.....

Im more angry that they tell me buses run every 20 mins and I find myself waiting north of 40.

Id be less angry if a screen on the Tv in my room said arriving at 1:30 and it actually arrived at 1:35.

I cant be the only one who feels that way...

Im more angry that they tell me buses run every 20 mins and I find myself waiting north of 40.

Id be less angry if a screen on the Tv in my room said arriving at 1:30 and it actually arrived at 1:35.

I cant be the only one who feels that way...

How angry would you be if the tv said the bus arrived at 1:30 and it arrived at 1:25, so you missed it?

Also, they state buses run approximately every 20 minutes. There is no guarantee they are every 20 minutes on the dot. If you are looking for any sort of time guarantee, you are not at the right vacation destination.

How angry would you be if the tv said the bus arrived at 1:30 and it arrived at 1:25, so you missed it?

Also, they state buses run approximately every 20 minutes. There is no guarantee they are every 20 minutes on the dot.

Id be pretty mad tbh. lol. However, in my time the bus has never come earlier than the screen it has always come on that time or later as the time constantly adjusts.

In that scenario im still waiting for 40 mins just like I am today... so i guess thats a chance im willing to take.

I'm here now. I was at BWVs for 8 days, moved to Pop yesterday. I was at Music for the Wine and Dine weekend, actually for 5 nights. We had little issue with buses during Wine and Dine. I did have a rental that I drove to Karl's a few times. The times I used buses, no issues. They announced buses arrive 'about every 20 mins', and they pretty much did.
Bus waits have been longer this week. The parks are hugely crowded, with full buses returning to the resorts midday!!
Yes, Disney tells us, especially when making ADRs, to allow up to 90 mins. Should that be the case? No. But it is. I've had several experiences when I needed all 90 mins. If you aren't prepared to allow for 90 mins, you should drive yourself or take Uber.

I long ago came to the conculsion that on site means "pay more receive less". Unreliable transportation, poor quality rooms and subpar service ...... EMH isn't worth that LOL!

And I am over Disney saying give yourself 2 hours to get anywhere on our system. I am sorry, but that's not acceptable IMHO. They charge a PREMIUM and need to step and deliver better service for the price!

IMHO they added the "MinnieVans" to cover the fact that they aren't doing the job and I actually expect that as they try to drive you to "pay for transportation" they will cutback even further on "free"..... Current management is incredibly greedy!

[QUOTE="OrangeCountyCommuter, post: 58539906, member: 290203"

And I am over Disney saying give yourself 2 hours to get anywhere on our system. I am sorry, but that's not acceptable IMHO. They charge a PREMIUM and need to step and deliver better service for the price!

[/QUOTE]

Disney doesn't say to give yourself 2 hours to get anywhere. They say 90 minutes.

I also disagree with you on the Minnie Vans. I think they added them to compete with taxis/Uber.

Nor have I ever been in a room I would deem to be of "Poor quality". Funny the closest I can think of was my room at the Swan in October. As much as people rave about them, I found the room definitely missed the mark on a lot of things.

Christmas last year we waited almost an hour for a bus to get back to OKW from Epcot as we watched easily 5 different buses for AOA and various All Star Buses. So out of those 10 total buses going to near empty bus stops you’d think they’d pull a couple to go to other resorts with full bus stops. Disney has to have these bus GPS tracked and also tracked by the route they display on the buses.

So the issue has to lay with the dispatchers and them clearly not having transportation people at the park bus stops recording the time between buses. To say it’s flawed is an understatement.

I was down at WDW this past weekend, and talked to a friend who is a CM (manager at one of the resorts, not a cliched "in the know" bus driver, etc.) and this person mentioned that the transportation dept is woefully understaffed. Too few bus drivers. Pay is too low to attract people to that job. That will cascade into delays at the bus stops...

I was down at WDW this past weekend, and talked to a friend who is a CM (manager at one of the resorts, not a cliched "in the know" bus driver, etc.) and this person mentioned that the transportation dept is woefully understaffed. Too few bus drivers. Pay is too low to attract people to that job. That will cascade into delays at the bus stops...

That is disappointing to hear. Mousekeeping, now bus drivers? What's next, the characters?

"Your character meet and greets will now be replaced with a giant stuffed animal which will be available for pictures and hugs (autographs can be purchased for an additional fee)."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter