Time to rant...

Trying to make other people responsible for his decisions (by saying they should wait for the next bus), is not right. It's not the job of other people to protect your husband from himself.

THIS!!!!

You (General you) and you alone are responsible for your feelings and actions. Other people should not be blamed for your feelings, particularly people with whom you’ve literally never had any interaction whatsoever.

Last edited:
It’s recommended to allow 90 minutes to get from your resort to any park or restaurant. It does seem rather extreme to have to allow 90 minutes, but it is, what it is.

Before people chime in and say I should have left earlier... I think being at our bus stop 45 minutes before the reservation should suffice. Isn't that the benefit to staying on property?

No, that’s not the benefit. They tell us 90 minutes. That should be our expectation.

Unless we are out drinking, why would I want to have to allow that much time to get to a park, when Disney is selling their resorts on the ease of transportation.

I’ve never seen them selling resorts on ease of transportation.

While it's not as sexy, I can drive and have a lot less stress and hassle.

Being in a bus with 50 strangers is sexy? Hmm.

We rent a car and love it. We even drive to MK (unless staying at bay lake or something lol).

Like I said on the initial post, we are AP holders so we already get free parking. I get it for non AP's, obviously parking for free is a benefit.

The hotel itself has NO benefit to you? Then just visit from home.

I know they quote you 90 mins, but that doesn't mean its how it should be. Not sure why if they say busses run every 20 mins why you should need to allow 90 mins to get from resort to reservation? Just seems to contradict each other.

They say A bus will be by every 20. Not YOUR bus. The difference is immense.

So if you're saying that if I don't allow 90 mins then I will probably be late, then you are agreeing that this bus mess is the norm, not the exception.

If that's really the case then Disney Transportation has a very big problem it needs to deal with...

Thy have no problem. They know the limitations of public buses and tell us when to be there.

It takes the bus almost 25 minutes to get from Pop to the Magic Kingdom, even with light traffic. And then you've still got to get through bag check, the tapstiles, and all the way back to the Crystal Palace.

Agreed.

They say allow 90 min because worse case scenario that's how long it may take.

Ah, worst (not really *worst*) case is more like poor Dh and my aunt on our first trip in 2010. We were leaving DHS and my aunt didn’t want to ride back with the family. She wanted to take the bus. Dh stayed with her. It took hours for them to get back to OKW. It was NOT fun. (Actual time might be in my trip report from then but I don’t want to check)

No bus was ever dispatched for them despite phone calls. An SSR driver who had passed them more than once finally took pity on them (and those in line behind them) and took them to OKW after he hit all the SSR stops.

A couple who was totally on time at their stop to expect to get to OKW for an adr at Olivia’s got there after the restaurant was closed.

Dh decided he was done with the buses then. In December 2010.

This all is nothing new, except that the OP didn’t actually have anything Disney considers to be a problem.

We actually waited 90 minutes for a Downtown Disney bus from OKW about 15 years ago. They're right next to each other! I will never forget

Had a problem there too in 2010. And it was so cold on that trip.

. We deal with both of those every day at home. Who wants to have to drive around in that on vacation?

:)

DH deals with buses every day for work. He has no interest on getting on a lesser bus system for vacation!

But there's no way he's going to stay seated while a mom stands up with a baby.

My husband would never sit there and let her stand. He would feel bad.

He's not going to let someone with a baby stand.

Incidentally, my husband isn’t going to let me stand either while he remains sitting.

That’s a whole lot of your husband not letting women do what they have chosen to do.

Has he ever looked at this side of him? That it’s all about how HE feels, and not about a grown woman making her own life choices?

It would have been fun to see him if he’s tried this with me (on a public bus, as we weren’t going to Wdw when ds was little). When pregnant and when ds was little enough to be carried, I refused offers for seats.

Not for a nebulous reason. But because when pregnant it HURT to sit then stand. I wasn’t going to go through that for a bus ride. And when ds was little, I wore him, and he HATED sitting when in the sling. Hated with a burning passion. And I was being responsible by wearing him and was hands free, and I was a *grown woman* who had decided to get on a bus and stand.

And NO MAN (or woman) was owed ANY explanation. They got a polite “no thank you”. I had one man who thought he was awesome continue to stand. Apparently I was too feeble to know what was good for me. So he made a fool of himself while standing after I said no thank you. More than once. And I even told him that I wasn’t going to be sitting so he probably should. I think some other man took his seat. Someone should take it after all.

But his offer was *about him*, not about me, so he didn’t. Because his feelings were more important than what I was telling him.

Besides, he would feel terrible if the woman or baby fell, etc.

Omg. The world is not his to save. What if the baby hit his face on the seat in front of him? That’s now his fault. Far more than it was his fault if a grown woman stands and something causes someone to fall. (Which wouldn’t be his fault at all)

What if HE falls?

Wait... so you want the family with a baby to wait another 20+ mins just so you dont have to stand for the ride... Lol

I personally want people to wait for the ride that will be safest for them. A person who ultimately thinks they are safest sitting should wait until they have a seat.

Will save money from now on staying off-site and stay under better accommodations.

It’s almost unbelievable to me that your sole reason for staying onsite was for buses. Especially since you’re getting such high prices on the mods.

But I’m glad you’ll be happier.

Would like to mention that you’ll probably want to leave the offsites more than 90 minutes before you want to be anywhere in the parks.

It's not the job of other people to protect your husband from himself.

Exactly.

(I swear I was reading as I typed, but all the typos I just corrected tell me otherwise!)

They should make it available on the MDE app. There must be a way to funnel that data to it. Then you could check it from anywhere.

I'd be hesitant to encourage more pressure on MDE. They have some OTHER problems to deal with on that app before including bus times. I would LOVE to see it happen after they work other bugs out first.

I know they quote you 90 mins, but that doesn't mean its how it should be. Not sure why if they say busses run every 20 mins why you should need to allow 90 mins to get from resort to reservation? Just seems to contradict each other.
The bus may ARRIVE every 20 minutes, but they want to account for traffic, loading special passengers, general passenger loading and unloading...

That’s a whole lot of your husband not letting women do what they have chosen to do.

Has he ever looked at this side of him? That it’s all about how HE feels, and not about a grown woman making her own life choices?

It would have been fun to see him if he’s tried this with me (on a public bus, as we weren’t going to Wdw when ds was little). When pregnant and when ds was little enough to be carried, I refused offers for seats.

Not for a nebulous reason. But because when pregnant it HURT to sit then stand. I wasn’t going to go through that for a bus ride. And when ds was little, I wore him, and he HATED sitting when in the sling. Hated with a burning passion. And I was being responsible by wearing him and was hands free, and I was a *grown woman* who had decided to get on a bus and stand.

And NO MAN (or woman) was owed ANY explanation. They got a polite “no thank you”. I had one man who thought he was awesome continue to stand. Apparently I was too feeble to know what was good for me. So he made a fool of himself while standing after I said no thank you. More than once. And I even told him that I wasn’t going to be sitting so he probably should. I think some other man took his seat. Someone should take it after all.

But his offer was *about him*, not about me, so he didn’t. Because his feelings were more important than what I was telling him.

LOL. You took that quite literally. When I said he would never LET a woman with a baby stand, I didn't mean he would MAKE her sit, or even insist that she sit against her will. How ridiculous to even think that. I assure you my husband hasn't forced anyone to sit down. He OFFERED and they accepted. They always accept his seat. And they thank him. If they don't want to sit they can just say No thank you. No where did I even suggest an explanation was necessary, nor would he expect one. Sure, he may wonder why but he's not going to ask. He's also offered his seat to dads who are holding babies. They accept too. It's not so much about the woman anyway. It's more about the baby.

He wouldn't "let" me stand while he sat because he knows I would WANT to sit. If I wanted to stand he wouldn't insist I sit.

I don't know why you would think "it would have been "fun" to see him if he's tried this with me." What's so fun about someone doing something they feel is polite or mannerly and you decline the offer? That man made a "fool of himself"? You really read a lot into why that man continued standing. Maybe he has HIS reasons. No need to mock someone because they tried to be polite. I can assure you my husband won't think it's "fun" if someone that declines the seat ends up on their *** on the floor, or even worse, a baby gets hurt. It's not about his feelings over someone else's.

As for my feelings about the situation I first mentioned, it's just my opinion. I'm not saying I'm right to feel that way, but that's how I feel. Yes, I agree that the parents can decide to get on a bus that they know is standing room only. It get that. Yes, I feel it's safer for the baby for them to wait. (Last visit I had a man fall on me when the bus turned. He was standing and had a cup of coffee in one hand so he spun around.) But I get that it's their choice as the baby's parents. I get that my husband is the one offering his seat to them. It's his choice. I just personally wish they would wait for the next bus so that they can sit if they actually want to sit.

DisneyMom93... i get what your husband does.. i do the same regardless... but in my case, i don't do it for the standing passengers benefit or my own.. i do it for my sons...

LOL. You took that quite literally. When I said he would never LET a woman with a baby stand, I didn't mean he would MAKE her sit, or even insist that she sit against her will. How ridiculous to even think that. I assure you my husband hasn't forced anyone to sit down. He OFFERED and they accepted. They always accept his seat. And they thank him. If they don't want to sit they can just say No thank you. No where did I even suggest an explanation was necessary, nor would he expect one. Sure, he may wonder why but he's not going to ask. He's also offered his seat to dads who are holding babies. They accept too. It's not so much about the woman anyway. It's more about the baby.

He wouldn't "let" me stand while he sat because he knows I would WANT to sit. If I wanted to stand he wouldn't insist I sit.

I don't know why you would think "it would have been "fun" to see him if he's tried this with me." What's so fun about someone doing something they feel is polite or mannerly and you decline the offer? That man made a "fool of himself"? You really read a lot into why that man continued standing. Maybe he has HIS reasons. No need to mock someone because they tried to be polite. I can assure you my husband won't think it's "fun" if someone that declines the seat ends up on their *** on the floor, or even worse, a baby gets hurt. It's not about his feelings over someone else's.

As for my feelings about the situation I first mentioned, it's just my opinion. I'm not saying I'm right to feel that way, but that's how I feel. Yes, I agree that the parents can decide to get on a bus that they know is standing room only. It get that. Yes, I feel it's safer for the baby for them to wait. (Last visit I had a man fall on me when the bus turned. He was standing and had a cup of coffee in one hand so he spun around.) But I get that it's their choice as the baby's parents. I get that my husband is the one offering his seat to them. It's his choice. I just personally wish they would wait for the next bus so that they can sit if they actually want to sit.

Feelings... everyone's got feelings. :flower3:

We just shouldn't be asking other people to protect us from our feelings, or our choices. You can "wish" all you like, but it is not reasonable to expect anyone to accommodate you. Nor is it right to imply they're irresponsible parents, just because they aren't accommodating you.

I sometimes feel like I wish there were fewer guests in the parks, so lines for rides would be shorter. However, that does not mean I'll tell other people that they should stay home, or that they're endangering their children's welfare by bringing them into a crowded park. They have no obligation to accommodate my feelings on this matter, any more than I'm obligated to accommodate theirs.

I'm sure your husband is quite courteous. But, yes, I've also experienced the "polite stand off", whereby some male (usually elderly) will make a big ol' production over insisting I sit. And if I don't want to sit, he'll stand in front of the empty seat with me, glowering. I've even had them say, "Well, if you're not going to sit, then neither am I!" It's ridiculous. And yes, sexist. I know he's just trying to protect his ego by acting like the hale and hearty gentleman and making me into the weak and wobbly female, but it's not cool. So sometimes I would say thank you and sit, not because I need the seat or even want to sit, but because I just don't feel like offending yet another old man. So I smile and say thank you, and we move on pleasantly.

Does that mean I "expected" the seat? Or got on the crowded bus assuming there'd be some old guy with a moral obligation to give up his seat to me? Of course not!

This is interesting...I remember as a wee kid riding with my elderly grandmother that didn't speak English on a bus being reprimanded, close to my face, that I should offer my seat up to that passenger, who was elderly...in not a nice way. I was so embarrassed...and mad.

I've always, since then, offered my seat to those that looked like they need it. I only ask once and actually get up to show that I mean it but I don't badger them if they say no. There are even signs on the bus in my city to do so and a robo message that runs intermittently over the intercom to do so.

My husband also offers to give up his seat on these shuttle buses, again, not badgering...just once. I nudge and look at my 2 kids to do the same.

Mainly...and now I hope I'm not offending anyone in real life by offering...pregnant mothers, small kids, physically troubled, or elderly.

I do feel regret once last year because my family offered for 2 younger girls, who declined because they wanted to ride out the bus standing with no hands but their mom/aunt ended up yelling at them to take the seats, one refusing, adult reprimanding, etc. That one I wish we never brought it up lol.

haha...I guess I've got ingrained in my mind since young the motto "women and children first." So I can see if there are people who feel obligated to offer their seats. Although when I think about it, all those times we've offered up our seats (whether taken or not), I've NEVER thought "oh...that person should offer their seat up to that person" as a person walks down the aisle, haven't judge other people not offering.

Not really.

They don't say allow 90 min because it will take all of those 90 min all the time.
They say allow 90 min because worse case scenario that's how long it may take.
And as you've learned, it's better to err and be early than err and be late.
Right?

^THIS

They tell you 90 minutes to cover all avenues.
- What if you just missed a bus, then have to wait 20 minutes assuming they are all on time.
- What if there are wheelchairs loading that can delay you 10+ minutes, now you lost 30.
- Where do you allow for the long lines that may be at security once you even get to the security.
- Where do you allow for folks going through ticket scanners, especially at peak times.
- Where do you allow for the walk to your restaurant, waiting in line at podium.

It can also vary greatly by where you are going. Promise bus, the Epcot terminal, long walk to security, security, walk to entry, walk all the way to World Showcase and back to say Biergarten ... is impossible with 45 minutes. Honestly I think only DHS is doable with that time frame; for now.

It's just not a bus ride. There are lots of components that factor in. 90 minutes allows for all this. (Note we found 2 hours barely got us to HDDR ADR). The offer at every 20 minutes to leave a resort is something they work at, and for us it happens fairly consistently. CSR has been some of our best transportation and never waited longer than that. But every resort will have off days.

Returning to any resort, particularly in evenings when many parks are closing is where they struggle. It's something they need to work on, it has gotten much worse since AK started evening hours and once DHS is staying open late ......... they'll need more buses working.

But yes to OP, I think for AP holders, the only real perks of staying on site are EMH and FP+ at 60. Since EMH are slowly shrinking (we only do night) and getting FP+ is never really hard for us ..... the bus as you say we call it the DDBD, Disey Designated Bus Driver, only necessary if we plan to do some drinking. Otherwise our car is the most efficient way to go to the parks.

This is interesting...I remember as a wee kid riding with my elderly grandmother that didn't speak English on a bus being reprimanded, close to my face, that I should offer my seat up to that passenger, who was elderly...in not a nice way. I was so embarrassed...and mad.

I've always, since then, offered my seat to those that looked like they need it. I only ask once and actually get up to show that I mean it but I don't badger them if they say no. There are even signs on the bus in my city to do so and a robo message that runs intermittently over the intercom to do so.

My husband also offers to give up his seat on these shuttle buses, again, not badgering...just once. I nudge and look at my 2 kids to do the same.

Mainly...and now I hope I'm not offending anyone in real life by offering...pregnant mothers, small kids, physically troubled, or elderly.

I do feel regret once last year because my family offered for 2 younger girls, who declined because they wanted to ride out the bus standing with no hands but their mom/aunt ended up yelling at them to take the seats, one refusing, adult reprimanding, etc. That one I wish we never brought it up lol.

haha...I guess I've got ingrained in my mind since young the motto "women and children first." So I can see if there are people who feel obligated to offer their seats. Although when I think about it, all those times we've offered up our seats (whether taken or not), I've NEVER thought "oh...that person should offer their seat up to that person" as a person walks down the aisle, haven't judge other people not offering.

I doubt you're offending anyone! If a pregnant mum, or anyone else, politely declines, I'm sure you wouldn't be offended. And if they accept, I'm sure you wouldn't think, "They shouldn't even be on this bus! If they want a seat, they should wait for the next bus. They shouldn't be here, making me give them my seat! Ugh, so entitled!"

Personally, I have no issues with anyone offering anyone else a seat. I think it's a lovely gesture, and should be taken in the spirit that it's intended. It's a gift, not an obligation (on either the part of the giver OR recipient). Everyone, on all sides, needs to try to be gracious about it.

Me, what I like to do, is casually hop up when a wobbly looking person (of any age or gender) gets near me, and say, "Oh, hey, I'm almost at my stop! Do you want my seat?" And then, without looking back, I squeeze my way up to the front of the bus, and stand for the rest of the ride. Of course, that doesn't work on a Disney bus, where everyone's getting on and off at the same time. But, it does seem to spare everyone's feelings on public transit, at least! It's up to them, if they want my seat or not. (I generally enjoy standing, so it's no problem.)

Raised by a single mother, the rule was never "women and children first" in our home. It was simply, "whoever needs the help, gets it." If I help a little old lady with her packages, it's not because she's a lady, it's because I'm worried about her ability to get them to her car. I'd offer to help a similarly disabled man, old or young, just the same.

Without defending the bus system (which can be awful), this issue is not just a Disney problem - it's a mass transit problem. Most any mass transit system has all the same things happen that are described here - delays, detours, maintenance issues, inefficient routing/dispatch, overcrowding, inconsistent schedules, poor use of technology to improve service, etc. Not that those things are an excuse, but they're not unique. Should it take 90 minutes to go from AKL to MK? No - but it also shouldn't take me 90 minutes to ride the Metro from downtown DC to the Virginia suburbs 10 miles away when I can get there in less than 30 minutes by car. I'm guessing many Disney guests aren't frequent users of mass transit (other than airlines - which is it's own brand of problems) - so it's a bit of a surprise just how bad it can be. I think it's ridiculous that I have to allow myself at least an hour to get from one place to another at WDW - and even then know I'm pushing it. But c'est la vie.

There are other options if you're willing to pay (Uber/Minnie Van/taxi) or put in more effort (drive yourself) - but it's not that shocking that the free, no-effort complimentary service is far from perfect (as most free, no-effort complimentary services are). Does it impact guest experience? Sure - but Disney won't dump a ton of money into improving a bus system that doesn't directly generate cash flow regardless of whether it performs flawlessly or is nearly broken down.

There is technology available to improve the guest experience, but Disney doesn't feel its worthwhile to invest in.

For example, on the NJ Transit app (or mobile site), I can plug in any bus stop, and see when the next bus is due, what line the bus is running on (some stops are served by multiple lines), and the ID# of the next bus. I am never frustrated waiting for a NJ Transit bus because I know exactly how long I have to wait. Disney could equip its bus service with a similar system if they wanted to pay for it.

There is technology available to improve the guest experience, but Disney doesn't feel its worthwhile to invest in.

For example, on the NJ Transit app (or mobile site), I can plug in any bus stop, and see when the next bus is due, what line the bus is running on (some stops are served by multiple lines), and the ID# of the next bus. I am never frustrated waiting for a NJ Transit bus because I know exactly how long I have to wait. Disney could equip its bus service with a similar system if they wanted to pay for it.

This is the crux of the issue in my opinion. If I know when my bus is expected to arrive I can make an educated choice about waiting or using alternate means. Too often the arrival screens are blank or refreshed and arrival times significantly changed.

I must say I personally have never waited over 25 minutes for a bus from a resort to a park. Leaving parks is an entirely different animal.

Except Disney buses are dispatched, re-routed and diverted based on need. This is a popular topic on this board, but the truth is Disney does not operate their bus service like a local transit system.

We just shouldn't be asking other people to protect us from our feelings, or our choices. You can "wish" all you like, but it is not reasonable to expect anyone to accommodate you. Nor is it right to imply they're irresponsible parents, just because they aren't accommodating you.

I sometimes feel like I wish there were fewer guests in the parks, so lines for rides would be shorter. However, that does not mean I'll tell other people that they should stay home, or that they're endangering their children's welfare by bringing them into a crowded park. They have no obligation to accommodate my feelings on this matter, any more than I'm obligated to accommodate theirs.

I'm sure your husband is quite courteous. But, yes, I've also experienced the "polite stand off", whereby some male (usually elderly) will make a big ol' production over insisting I sit. And if I don't want to sit, he'll stand in front of the empty seat with me, glowering. I've even had them say, "Well, if you're not going to sit, then neither am I!" It's ridiculous. And yes, sexist. I know he's just trying to protect his ego by acting like the hale and hearty gentleman and making me into the weak and wobbly female, but it's not cool. So sometimes I would say thank you and sit, not because I need the seat or even want to sit, but because I just don't feel like offending yet another old man. So I smile and say thank you, and we move on pleasantly.

Does that mean I "expected" the seat? Or got on the crowded bus assuming there'd be some old guy with a moral obligation to give up his seat to me? Of course not!

First, I never said anyone EXPECTS my husband to give up his seat to them. Or would assume my husband would. Although now that you mention it, maybe some do. I don’t know. But I never said that.

Second, I never ASKED anyone to do anything. I’ve never asked anyone to wait for the next bus.

As for “I sometimes feel like I wish there were fewer guests in the parks, so lines for rides would be shorter. However, that does not mean I'll tell other people that they should stay home, or that they're endangering their children's welfare by bringing them into a crowded park. They have no obligation to accommodate my feelings on this matter, any more than I'm obligated to accommodate theirs,” if you think that’s anything close to the same thing then you misunderstood me completely. If I had said that my husband wants to sit so no one else should get on the bus before him or with him so he can be have a seat or the whole bus to himself then maybe that would be an argument. I said no such thing.

Obviously you take issue with a man offering you his seat. You view it as sexist. I think that’s a whole other issue. I won’t apologize because my husband politely offers his seat to someone who looks like they need it more. Especially since you seem to have an issue with it in any situation, not just the scenario I mentioned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter