Times to avoid on I-5??

aprila

Earning My Ears
We are driving from Oregon to DL on July 18th. What can we expect the closer we get to LA for traffic and at what times. Any times to avoid (obviously 5 pm would not be good LOL) but I don't know when traffic gets heaviest there or is light (If it is ever light?). This is a Monday we would be getting in and we are leaving on a Saturday.

Traffic on weekdays tends to start to build up as early as 3pm! It should be pretty clear sailing until you hit the San Fernando Valley, just south of the I5-I14 junction. From there, it about 1 to 1 1/2 hours in moderate traffic to DL. Rush hour can extend to 7pm, or later and could double your travel time. If you find yourself hitting the grapvine around that time, you may want to consider taking a dinner break in Castaic or Valencia, and waiting it out. There are several chain restuarant just off the freeway in that area, especially around Magic Mountain.

Worst times on the I-5...I think that would be Sunday through Saturday from 5:00am - 3:00am.

All joking aside...depending on what time you come through, I would go with the suggestion of stopping for dinner. Barring that, you can always take the 210E to the 57S to get into Orange County. I have found this usually saves some time. It's kind of hit and miss, but it can be beneficial. Since you're coming on a Monday, I would generally start avoiding the 5S around 2:30-3:00pm until 7:00-7:30pm. Just be sure to start listening to the traffic stations when you get closer (KNX1070 or KFWB980 - both AM) and it might help you out.

What about morning traffic. We will be driving from Sacramento on a Monday morning. We plan to leave at about 5am from Sacramento. Do you think traffic will be okay? We'll probably get caught in some of Fresno's rush hour.

As long as you time it so that you don't hit the LA area until after 9-10am it won't be too bad.

We are planning on leaving Portland OR by 5 am (on the 17th) at the latest then staying overnight in Sacramento. Leaving Sacramento hopefully around 5-6 am (on the 18th) to get to DL. Does this sound like we could possibly miss bad traffic? I have a large family so I am trying to take into consideration all the stops we could be making too. Mapquest says from Sacramento it will take about 6+ hours. I am thinking for us with stops about 7 hours. Does the I-5 have lunch hour traffic near LA?

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. You will may hit some lunchtime traffic, but it's a lot better than the morning or evening rush. Generally the best "daytime" hours are from 9:30-10am to 2-2:30pm, or after 7pm. With LA traffic there are no sure bets, however. Don't stress too much about it, you'll be fine. :)

It sounds like you are leaving Sacramento about the same time of day that we are. I expect to hit some rush hour in Fresno. It takes about 3 hours to get to Fresno which would put us there right around 8am, although Hwy99 is worse than I-5 for Fresno. If you leave at 6am, you might hit a little bit of rush through Stockton, an hour out of Sac. Neither should be as bad as LA traffic though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter