Tip bellman twice? Storing luggage for 2 hours...

Mugglemama

DIS Veteran
Storing bags for about 2 hours between check-out and when we leave the premises. Do we tip before and after? Or is once sufficient?

On the one hand, it's not any less work to take the bags in and out after 2 hours or after 8 hours. But if it's the same bell person I probably wouldn't tip the 2nd time unless they help put the bags in the car or something extra.

I'm with DizMe......I'd love to know also. We tip when they unload us and then again when they bring them to the room because I feel guilty. Same on the way home, when they come to the room and then when they load us.......that's a lot of tipping lol!!!

Are you bringing the bags down yourself and dropping them at the counter? Or having them come get them with a cart?

We don't usually call for a bellman to get luggage for us to bring down at any hotel. So we would just tip upon pick up.

I tip when they do something, so if they help unload, drop-off or pick-up luggage I tip. If you bring your luggage down to them I see no reason to tip.

I'm with DizMe......I'd love to know also. We tip when they unload us and then again when they bring them to the room because I feel guilty. Same on the way home, when they come to the room and then when they load us.......that's a lot of tipping lol!!!
That's what we do as well. The tip is worth it to us because I hate hassling with the luggage through the lobby :)

I tip when I pick up if I bring my bags down myself. If they come pick them up, then I tip both times. $2 per bag.

I tip when I pick up if I bring my bags down myself. If they come pick them up, then I tip both times. $2 per bag.

Yeah if I bring bags myself, i tip when i pick up; kind of like valet parking. They are literally just rolling your luggage 2 steps away. I tip about $1 per bag(standard), unless a single bag, then $2. 4 bags gets $5, or if they are friendly, funny etc then they may get more tip depending on what I have in wallet.

If you help me with my bags outta my car...I tip.
If I drop off my bags to you...no tip
If You bring me bags or when I pick them up...tip.

$1 per bag for a shuttle service, $5 minimum for hotel valet and bellmen, more if service warrants.'

If I know I and gonna want to get back into my bags say dropping them off at the bell desk before heading into the park and go back for a jacket...I will tip when I drop of as well.

Funny this question comes up. I've been wondering this same thing and have been searching for tipping etiquette opinions. You can see from the responses to this thread, there may not be an absolute answer. There are also other threads on DISboards that have some of the same responses: Tip Twice, Tip Once.

In searching online, I have only found one etiquette site that deals with this specific question:

https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/06/19/tipping-etiquette-guide-travelers/

I found another site, tipping.org, that is apparently written by a bellman. He says you tip anytime a bellman touches your bag, but I'm not sure how serious this site is because he also says he'll go through your bag if you don't tip him when you drop it off and you should also tip him for smiling at you.

Am I a terrible person because I had NO clue I was supposed to tip for storing our bags? :worried:

OP did not say which hotel, but here is some specific advice:

At GCH, avoid bringing bags to Bell Services in the lobby. Although usually there is not an issue, there is sometimes a line stretching across the lobby. Guests arriving on a bus might be forced to use bell services in the lobby, but anyone arriving by car (or taxi) can have bags checked directly from the car. Guests checking out can have bell services pickup bags from the room.

As for tipping, I tip twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter