Tipping Information Thread for Disney Dining (Updated for 2019)

If you do it, I would suggest though not doing it right when you check in if it is busy. I usually went when no one was at the desk because it can take 10 minutes or so or longer depending on how many gift cards you have. The most I went with is 10 at 100 each, took about 10 minutes for her to add them all to my account.

To make it easier, may I suggest that you simply charge the bill to your room with your magicband. What you can do is take as many gift cards as you have and have the values applied to your account at the front desk of your resort. I am thinking if you lets say had a 40 dollar tip but only had a 50 GC or two 25's etc. What if you brought the one you thought had 50 on it but it was the one that had 10? If I stay at a Disney report, I usually buy GC's at a discount somewhere (online sellers, trade sites, etc) and then apply the values to my account. I know I will be charging food and such to the room.

If you do it, I would suggest though not doing it right when you check in if it is busy. I usually went when no one was at the desk because it can take 10 minutes or so or longer depending on how many gift cards you have. The most I went with is 10 at 100 each, took about 10 minutes for her to add them all to my account.

This is off topic, but if you have multiple Disney gift cards, you can go to disneygiftcard.com and combine all of the money on your cards to one master card. That way, you only have to take one Disney gift card with you on your travels.

For any quick/counter service meals where you take a number or buzzer and they bring your meal to the table - does the person bringing the tray to the table get tipped, or do you leave something at the end.

Tipping is entirely up to you, but if you do tip, do it when your food arrives. Leaving money on the table opens the possibility that the wrong person will acquire the money.

The gratuity is also included with reservations at Cinderella’s Royal Table in
Cinderella’s Castle in the Magic Kingdom.

I will use the dining plan at Cinderella's Royal Table. Is the tip included with dining plan at this restaurant?

Here are the basic guidelines:

B) I will not tip a server more than I make an hour

HA!!!:rotfl2:

Wow, I need to get some $$ back then!!

In tipping, seems like it would be easier to just to add the tip to the room then pay everything off with gift cards, that is my plan of attack.......

Last time I went to Disney World was in 2015. We were on the dining plan and I have a fuzzy memory of the amount of the tip at TS being predetermined on the bill & if you were paying the tip part by cash, it was suggested to cross the tip out and write CASH in its spot so you weren’t charged twice. (Was this the case or am I losing it?)

It sounds like that’s not the case anymore & I can tip in cash without being worried about double tipping?

Thanks

Last time I went to Disney World was in 2015. We were on the dining plan and I have a fuzzy memory of the amount of the tip at TS being predetermined on the bill & if you were paying the tip part by cash, it was suggested to cross the tip out and write CASH in its spot so you weren’t charged twice. (Was this the case or am I losing it?)

It sounds like that’s not the case anymore & I can tip in cash without being worried about double tipping?

Thanks
Just to be on the safe side, I would strike through the line that says "tips".

We're probably going to have the dining plan (if I get all my ADR choices, it will make sense mathematically). When you're using the dining plan, I understand they bring you a receipt with the total value on it. If I'm paying the tip w/ magic band/billing to the room, would I fill out the tip section just like when I'm paying for a meal out of pocket? Just trying to think through the logistics and avoid carrying around more cash than necessary.

Are tips optional? If I tip nothing, what happens?

Just for clarification:

If you're at a table service restaurant in the USA, tips are not required by law but it is culturally expected to pay a tip at the same time you settle the bill at the end of the meal. If you do not tip, things may get awkward, or the staff may think you made a mistake. Note there are cases where the restaurant has a specific policy which would be spelled out on the menu. If you eat at these restaurants you will be expected to tip according to those rules. (At WDW, if you have a party of 6 or more, an 18% gratuity is automatically added to your bill.)

If you're at most counter service/fast food restaurants (where you pay at the register and pick up your own food), there is usually no expectation of a tip. For example, it would be culturally unusual to tip at a McDonald's. You won't see any tip jar on the counter and no space to enter a tip when paying by card. This is true in most Disney counter service restaurants.

In some counter service restaurants (usually more upscale ones), coffee bars, dessert places, etc, you may get the opportunity to add a tip to your credit card or place cash in a jar. Unlike at a table service restaurant, tips are accepted when paying, before you get any food. Here it is completely culturally optional. Tips are appreciated, but if you don't tip, offense is generally not taken.

Okay with the new authorization holds I am planning on paying for all meals with a gift card. Can tips also be charged to the gift card as well?

Okay with the new authorization holds I am planning on paying for all meals with a gift card. Can tips also be charged to the gift card as well?

Yes. You mark on the receipt how much you want to put as the tip, same as you would for a debit or credit card. You can use multiple gift cards to pay the bill/tips too if you want, just tell the server how much you want taken from each card.

Does anyone with a Disney Premier Visa credit card know if you are on the dining plan, but charge your server's tip to the credit card, do you get the "10% back for disney dining"? I know it seems strange to receive 10% "off" or "cash back on your statement" gratuities, but if your card is being used at a restaurant I wonder if it matters what it is being charged for?
It would depend on how it comes through to Chase. I am thinking it will count since the CM's name is not there as receiving the money, the restaurant is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!