Tips For Taking A One Year Old To WDW

MNswimmer18

Earning My Ears
We've traveled a ton with our young kids. If we waited to bring them until they remember - we'd me missing a lot of stuff. If you don't already have a good baby carrier - get one! When we've traveled with one and under we've hardly used the stroller. At Disney my son was 22 months. We would park the stroller somewhere, have the baby carrier, and he's walk or be carried where we were going.

Things will be slower, but that's nice. Our only Disney trip is with young kids, so we don't really now any different. Know your kids. My kids don't transfer well (from stroller to car, or bed), and are early risers. So, we would hit the parks first thing in the morning, and stay until about dinner time. They did nap well in the stroller, and they don't normally at home.

We always had lunch at a sitdown place. This was just easier for us. Nice AC break, didn't have to play the "what do you want?" game and try to figure out when/where to eat day of. It was also nice to know we would have a table to sit down at.

Since we had a stroller, we brought a lot of snacks. That helped a lot.

monorailsilver

DIS Veteran
Our oldest was 15 months when she went for her first trip. She had a great time! She loved the characters, not so much the face characters. She danced, swam, rode rides, watched fireworks/illuminations (I made it fun and plugged her ears a bit and made her look for pink and purple colors).

The day before the trip she was still taking 2 naps a day but she wouldn’t go to bed u til close to 9-10pm. So I figured I would stop the morning nap while on vacation. She was fine! I always took a mid day break so we continued that. She got a good nap in the room and DH and I took turns leaving, doing laundry, etc...while she napped for a good 3-4 hours. By kid #2 and I was Preggo with kid #3 that trip, we also napped!

We did go To the parks early-she was up, I was up, DH woke up! We also had breakfast in the room so while DH was showering as I showered and was up first, I would get her food and pack our bag/fill our water. i didn’t want to waste the time going to get breakfast. Like I said above, we left at lunch and returned at dinner time.

She was a ball of energy, she was always moving and happily pushed her stroller around the countries. She was under 20 pounds until she turned 2-always moving. She hated the stroller so much. Our first park was MK and she moaned about the stroller but once she relaxed it would make her get to a ride quicker she was fine and happily rode. We did stroller park at the MK in spots and just walked.

Not sure if your child is a big eater but she wasn’t so I would take her leftovers in my collapsible small cooler with an ice pack back to the room and she would have the rest of her chicken, pizza, burger, etc....I would heat it up if appropriate (did that with my son too as he was not a big eater).

I planned on doing a rider switch but that all changed. I didn’t want to miss out on her fun as I knew I would be able to ride the rides another trip...well 2 trips later.

I did bring a bunch of toys for her for the room. she Never played with them as it was eat, park, shower, nap, sleep and pool on pool days with a nap.

Have fun, take lots of pictures, it’s OK if you miss something.

HaliLan029

Earning My Ears
Although it may not be an option due to how expensive, staying on or near the monorail is great! Gives you the opportunity to go back for naps!❤

Specter

This is the way
We took our daughter at 10 months and found that the stroller on the bus thing wasn't too bad once you got used to it, but we were very glad that we looked ahead of time and tried to find something that was the best compromise of useful size when open but small when folded. We were there in March this year just before lockdown and even after fireworks one night in the flood of people leaving, it was not an issue on the bus.

Another thing that we found very helpful was the single serving formula packets. Yes, they are more expensive but it made it so easy to pre-measure bottled water into her bottles in the morning and then, when she was ready for it, just tear open the packet and pour it in, shake, and feed. We'd used other containers on local family outings to the zoo, etc, and had them pop open. This was so much better, no mess, pre-measured, ready to go.

Memory maker. It was our first time getting it even though DW and I went plenty of times over the years just us, and we are so glad we did.

Brett Wyman

DIS Veteran
Our youngest visited WDW at 11 months, 14 months, and 23 months among other times when he was older. He loved every visit and we never regretted bringing a baby or toddler with us. A lot of this has been said already but..

1. Bring a good stroller with good storage that reclines for nap time.
2. Don’t travel during excessively warm months.
3. Bring a clip on stroller fan.
4. If it’s in your budget stay at a monorail or Epcot resort where you can quickly get back to you room
5. If it’s even more in you budget rent a 1 bedroom DVC. Washer and dryer and dishwasher, plus a pack n play in every room(pack in plays in DVC studios too).
6. You can get hot water in a cup from most QS or sit down restaurants for free for heating milk/formula. We bought a water tight bottle bag. Dumped in the hot water and put bottle in to warm, our DS would only drink his milk warm.
7. Don’t rush anything or book too many activities with set times.
8. Late morning mid day breaks!
9. Don’t forget about rider swap.

Betty Rohrer

DIS Veteran
Our youngest visited WDW at 11 months, 14 months, and 23 months among other times when he was older. He loved every visit and we never regretted bringing a baby or toddler with us. A lot of this has been said already but..

1. Bring a good stroller with good storage that reclines for nap time.
2. Don’t travel during excessively warm months.
3. Bring a clip on stroller fan.
4. If it’s in your budget stay at a monorail or Epcot resort where you can quickly get back to you room
5. If it’s even more in you budget rent a 1 bedroom DVC. Washer and dryer and dishwasher, plus a pack n play in every room(pack in plays in DVC studios too).
6. You can get hot water in a cup from most QS or sit down restaurants for free for heating milk/formula. We bought a water tight bottle bag. Dumped in the hot water and put bottle in to warm, our DS would only drink his milk warm.
7. Don’t rush anything or book too many activities with set times.
8. Late morning mid day breaks!
9. Don’t forget about rider swap.
for years we didn't have anytime to go other than August if we wanted to take stepgrandson by court order. his birth mom had to approve any trip that would make him miss more than one day of school. and she wouldn't approve. she was not happy about trips she couldn't stop

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.