Tipsy is as Tipsy Does - A February '17 Dining Adventure - Complete 8/15

Hi Kari. Your steak at Yachtsman looked fantastic. We like our meat medium rare because that is when it tastes best. :) I think we are long overdue for dinner there. :)

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the last day of disney times.
Ugh. Trip endings you-know-what, even if lived vicariously through a dining report! :sad:

Casey and Jason did Mission Space (I can't handle it)
I can't handle Mission Space myself, but I'm a bit intrigued by this new green version... after seeing how effective my scopolamine patches are, I might venture on it, ya know, for research :rolleyes1:laughing:

We were just sad there was only 1 piece.
No kidding! Especially having to share! Hmmm... did Jason purposely order something with mushrooms to prevent having to share his? If so, both brilliant and inconsiderate :rotfl:

In a strange timing coincidence we had some friends over for a Christmas in July dinner last weekend and Jason made Yorkshire Pudding that was much better than theirs.
What a fun dinner!

In a strange course of events she went with a fan over candy, which surprised us all.
What?! :scared1: I can't make it out of that store without a candy purchase!

And of course promptly poured ourselves a glass of some post vacation depression wine.
Hey, anything to help wash away those Disney blues... they're the worst :sad2:

OMG! Sweet Casey's face. I feel the same way when leaving. Every. Time. I'm so happy to hear you had a good experience at Rose & Crown. I was there ~6 months ago and wasn't crazy about the food but had great service. I will have to give it another try!

Only one piece of fish at R&C? At the QS, each order had two pieces on top of a bunch of fries. We got 3 for our family of 5 to share and we were stuffed. That fish is so, so good! My 9 yr old ate the "extra" fillet, he loved it so much...darn kid.

Thank you for your honest review of R&C. I am on the fence about trying for the first time next month. We may just go back to Chefs De France or Biergarten. Who knows with us lol.

I was thinking about trying the Rose and Crown. I'm just such a picky eater I'm not sure there is anything on the menu I'd enjoy. The eye looked good, although $11 for one egg seems a bit extreme. Maybe one day I'll check the place out.

Casey came off with some astronaut ice cream she'd picked up for herself for breakfast.

Enjoy it while you can, Casey! All my "Mom Rules" go right out the window when we're in Disney too!

As I said earlier, this was our first time and Rose and Crown and it fit the bill. It was a good last minute ADR and while not the best restaurant in the world showcase, they were serving some yummy beers and british fare. I'm sure we'll be back again. With our Tables in Wonderland card we saved $18.40.

I don't know how I feel about Rose & Crown…we went there twice and LOVED it, but then the last two times we thought it was just, meh. I think we'll maybe try it again someday to see of they can redeem themselves.

We ventured a little bit further into world showcase so someone could spend her last remaining pennies on something from the Japan store. In a strange course of events she went with a fan over candy, which surprised us all.

I guess the ice cream and soda was enough sugar, even for a kid :P

and enjoyed some tea for two, spaceship earth style

This picture is brilliant! :rotfl2:

We eventually made it back to AKL around 3 where we bid the lovely resort jambo before catching the bus to the airport. We were clearly thrilled to be going home.

I don't blame her…I'm the same way Casey! :sad::sad::sad:

MCO was uneventful and I'm sure we ate or drank something, though I have no memory of what that was. My Dad was kind enough to pick us up at the airport and we got home sometime after nine. And of course promptly poured ourselves a glass of some post vacation depression wine. Some tipsy things never change :drinking1

Next up, a time of reflection

Oh my gosh! Such a GREAT report! I just had to go back and look at your ticker to see how long I had to wait for your next one. I think we are going around the same time…I'll look at my ticker after this post! And now I think maybe I knew that and spaced it off :sad2:

Anyway, can't wait 'til your family's next adventure!

we ended up getting a reservation at Rose and Crown about 5 minutes before we walked up to the podium. In all our years of disney we'd never eaten here so we were looking forward to something new.

Rose & Crown is one of those places that ends up on a lot of potential places to eat and then gets cut for us. Someday, we will go there.

I wasn't very impressed with the chips as they tasted like the thick fries you could get elsewhere in the parks, but a good dousing of vinegar on them reminded us we were in England. The fish on the other hand was incredible. It was perfectly beer battered and fried on the outside and hot and flaky on the inside. We were just sad there was only 1 piece.

I'm not a fan of thick fries, so I could do without those chips, but glad to hear the fish is good. I was planning on getting some quick service when we were there and did not. I'm still kicking myself.

Sad that your trip is over, but YAY, 3 months!!! I'm trying to figure out when we will go again. I'm trying to convince DH for next fall, but he is yet to jump on board.

So sad your trip is over :(

I agree with you on the chips at Rose & Crown - so disappointing- taste like they use frozen oven chips instead of fresh potatoes which is sacrilege as far as I'm concerned ( and any decent pub this side of the Atlantic wouldn't dream of using those chips) but the fish is good :)
We eat there every few years, come out thinking "meh", take a break for a year or 2 then forget ourselves and end up back there lol. Great viewing spot for illuminations if you fine there in the evening which is something I suppose :)

Only good thing about the end of your trip is that you can start a new report about your next adventure. :)
Looking forward to hearing all. Thanks for taking us along :)

So sad your reviews are done, but looking forward to reading about your next trip!

The last day, the trips go so quick, I thought there was a crying emoji on the Dis but I can't find it.
Emoji or not we can just have a good cry over it together and then simultaneously :-) since your trip is right around the corner.

Yachtsman looked like a wonderful meal, wow duck fat fries, are they incredibly rich? They sound nom nom.
They really weren't very rich at all. I think the duck fat just adds a bit of flavor, but more importantly it also keeps it really moist and tender. If you and Andi are headed to Yachtsman you should definitely give them a try.

Loved all your great reviews with a good dose of humor and ale! I hope you do a review after your November trip, I will be waiting:surfweb:.
Thanks Caroline! You and me both will be waiting :-)

The fish and chips look so good , glad to hear the fish lived up to the photo. I can live with so so chips. Will have to do R & C for lunch next time now that Chef's took away the quiche .Plus I can get a Pimm's . But why did they ruin Yorkshire Pudding like that :confused3
Hope you enjoy Rose and Crown, and that amazing fish, as much as we did. Of course with some Pimm's all should be good :-) Just stay away from the mashed potatoes poppers, um I mean Yorkshire Pudding :P

Hi Kari. Your steak at Yachtsman looked fantastic. We like our meat medium rare because that is when it tastes best. :) I think we are long overdue for dinner there. :)
Hi there Sue. Glad to hear I"m not in the only one in the medium rare club. I have no idea why anyone would want it any other way :-)

Ugh. Trip endings you-know-what, even if lived vicariously through a dining report! :sad:
Yes, but at least you have a real trip that I can live vicariously through soon!

I can't handle Mission Space myself, but I'm a bit intrigued by this new green version... after seeing how effective my scopolamine patches are, I might venture on it, ya know, for research :rolleyes1:laughing:
I'm intrigued too. Ive never even tried Mission Space given everything I've heard. I can handle Star Tours, but only because I can close my eyes. I always thought the movement in mission would make even closing my eyes not enough, so happy if they have another option. Happier yet if you can do the research for me :P

No kidding! Especially having to share! Hmmm... did Jason purposely order something with mushrooms to prevent having to share his? If so, both brilliant and inconsiderate :rotfl:
Oh I'm totally sure he did. He does this all the time. I think its more because he loves mushrooms and I forbid them from even coming in the house, but somewhere deep in that crazy soul of his I think it secretly makes him revel in my not being able to eat it too :P

OMG! Sweet Casey's face. I feel the same way when leaving. Every. Time. I'm so happy to hear you had a good experience at Rose & Crown. I was there ~6 months ago and wasn't crazy about the food but had great service. I will have to give it another try!
Yeah, she is always a basket of emotions when its time to come home. For the life of her she can't understand why we don't live there.

Only one piece of fish at R&C? At the QS, each order had two pieces on top of a bunch of fries. We got 3 for our family of 5 to share and we were stuffed. That fish is so, so good! My 9 yr old ate the "extra" fillet, he loved it so much...darn kid.
I know, I thought the quick service had a bigger portion size. We had the same issue at Raglan Road. I think for the money you'd be better off over at Yorkshire instead, though we haven't been there in ages. Will definitely have to rectify that.

Good to know about Rose and Crown, it's on my to do list at WDW...
Hope you enjoy. Be sure to wash whatever you get down with a Snakebite :drinking1

Thank you for your honest review of R&C. I am on the fence about trying for the first time next month. We may just go back to Chefs De France or Biergarten. Who knows with us lol.
I think you all travel just about the same way we do and keep it loose. Makes it much more interesting and in the moment :-)

I was thinking about trying the Rose and Crown. I'm just such a picky eater I'm not sure there is anything on the menu I'd enjoy. The eye looked good, although $11 for one egg seems a bit extreme. Maybe one day I'll check the place out.
We did see quite a few people eating burgers that looked really good. And if you like fish ours was certainly a winner, but otherwise if its just the scotch egg drawing you in I'd spend your $11 elsewhere

Enjoy it while you can, Casey! All my "Mom Rules" go right out the window when we're in Disney too!
I'm totally the same way, though getting her back into rules mode is always fun. :P

I don't know how I feel about Rose & Crown…we went there twice and LOVED it, but then the last two times we thought it was just, meh. I think we'll maybe try it again someday to see of they can redeem themselves.
We definitely enjoyed it, but there is certainly better places to be had elsewhere. I'm sure we'll be back again at some point, but I think I'd do Raglan Road again before we try R&C again. Raglan had the same skimpy 1 piece of fish, but I liked the atmosphere and their options better there.

This picture is brilliant! :rotfl2:
Courtesy of Jason. We had bought Casey a thermos on the way out for her lunch box and he apparently orchestrated this little gem.

Oh my gosh! Such a GREAT report! I just had to go back and look at your ticker to see how long I had to wait for your next one. I think we are going around the same time…I'll look at my ticker after this post! And now I think maybe I knew that and spaced it off :sad2:
Thanks!!! Sent you back a PM but our dis worlds are most definitely going to collide :-)

Rose & Crown is one of those places that ends up on a lot of potential places to eat and then gets cut for us. Someday, we will go there.
We'd been in the same boat, hence it never making the list. Probably not my favorite last meal of the trip, but it was fun to finally try it.

'm not a fan of thick fries, so I could do without those chips, but glad to hear the fish is good. I was planning on getting some quick service when we were there and did not. I'm still kicking myself.
I think I"ll have to give the quick service a try on our next trip. Last time I had it I was pregnant with Casey, so clearly that was a while ago :P

Sad that your trip is over, but YAY, 3 months!!! I'm trying to figure out when we will go again. I'm trying to convince DH for next fall, but he is yet to jump on board.
3 months seems like forever, but hopefully its a quick 3. Jason and I are the exact opposite of you and your hubby. We swore we were waiting a year to return then we caved and talked each other into going at the 9 month mark instead. Figure that is close to a year, right :confused3

I agree with you on the chips at Rose & Crown - so disappointing- taste like they use frozen oven chips instead of fresh potatoes which is sacrilege as far as I'm concerned ( and any decent pub this side of the Atlantic wouldn't dream of using those chips) but the fish is good :)
We eat there every few years, come out thinking "meh", take a break for a year or 2 then forget ourselves and end up back there lol. Great viewing spot for illuminations if you fine there in the evening which is something I suppose :)
You've totally got the chips down. I don't think of it then, but they are clearly previously frozen, and even someone from this side of the Atlantic shouldn't stand for that in a meal that costs over $20 :-) I'm sure you can get much better all the way around on your side of the pond.

Only good thing about the end of your trip is that you can start a new report about your next adventure. :)
Looking forward to hearing all. Thanks for taking us along :)
This is true and you know I will. How else could I get through till the next trip :P

So sad your reviews are done, but looking forward to reading about your next trip!
Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to all the eating and drinking again too :-)

Meant to say in my last comment and then got distracted ( Alzheimer's here I come:eek:) they do a great G & T at the Rose and Crown pub. Perfect for enjoying in the Florida sunshine. I may have had one or two of these on my last trip but only for research purposes- ya know, so I could tell you guys they were good in case you fancied something other than a snakebite :goodvibes:thumbsup2

I've never been to Rose & Crown but it seems like a place I would enjoy. I'm always up for some fish and chips. Scotch egg is something that's always intrigued me but I've never had. I don't see it on many menus.

Thanks for your reviews. Happy to hear that you'll be going back before too long.

3 months seems like forever, but hopefully its a quick 3. Jason and I are the exact opposite of you and your hubby. We swore we were waiting a year to return then we caved and talked each other into going at the 9 month mark instead. Figure that is close to a year, right :confused3

If it's anything like the last 3, it will seem like tomorrow! We were there in May for DS's first trip, and I tried and tried to convince DH that we needed to go again while he was still free, but he just isn't going for it. Then they announced Toy Story Land, so I'm pushing for next September (my favorite time to go), which would be 1 month after DS turns 3. I just need him to read some TRs and he won't be able to resist!

I just found this report and I LOVED it. You have a great writing style and I adore your family, your sense of humor, and I would like to be Casey in my next life! I'm off to read the rest of your reports. Thanks for sharing!

So sad your dining trip report is over. Poor Casey. Gotta love that little face. Glad you are going in October. I hope you share some booth reviews before I get there October 21. We seem to like a lot of the same things.

I always thought the movement in mission would make even closing my eyes not enough, so happy if they have another option. Happier yet if you can do the research for me :P
I'd be most happy to do the research and report back... providing I survive to tell about it :laughing: The first time I rode MS I think was the orange version (what was I thinking?! :confused3) and it took EVERYTHING in me to not bang repeatedly on the door to be let out. I have since rode the green once or twice but have no actual recollection of the events... maybe I blocked them out entirely :rotfl:

I am so far behind! I just got home today from the cottage and of course, no wifi means no Dis time. Thanks for another awesome report......just sad we have to wait until November for the next one!

Starting on the far left is the Truffle-scented tofu roll with Avocado, Jicama, Quinoa, Crispy Fingerlings, Silken Tofu, and Truffle Emulsion. The truffle flavor on this was perfection, but otherwise it was a little bland. Casey loved it, but Jason said it tasted like a piece of wonder bread. And you know what, add a little truffle and that is exactly what it tasted like and had the consistency of.
Too bad this didn't live up to expectations. I really enjoyed it last August BUT that being said I am only developing a palate for "real"sushi. LOL!

Wow, was this amazing and it was as good as it is beautiful. The cake had a subtle olive oil flavor but the honey really came through and it went perfectly with the pears. Someone woke up at this point and ate all the ice cream and white chocolate, which was fine by me because I was content with the beautiful cake.
That cakes looks delicious!

Speaking of sweet little girl, we ran into Flick on the way in and the Photopass folks got this great picture showing her excitement to meet a new to her character.
Best picture ever!

Somewhere along the line Casey finished all of her Wilderness Explorer badges (we had used the same book for 3 or 4 trips now) and they had a little ceremony to make her an official Senior Wilderness Explorer.
Yay Casey!

While a little light on the tequila, the watermelon and tequila combo was great and this was very refreshing. It wasn't as good as my beloved Annapurna Zing, but continued to prove my theory that there is no better place on property for tipsy drinks.
Definitely have a visit planned to Nomad Lounge later this month!

If you haven't had these before these are Yachtsmans amazing onion rolls and they are hands down the best bread on property. They come with butter and roasted garlic, both of which melt perfectly on the soft rolls. My little butter fiend was in bread and butter heaven and devoured 3 of these little gems.
My favourite!

We were too full for dessert, but our waiter was kind enough to bring Casey a birthday cake pop.
Love the Mickey whipped cream!

and I went with the Snakebite, which is half cider and half Harp.
That is on my list for August too although I really like the Cider and Black as well.

I wasn't very impressed with the chips as they tasted like the thick fries you could get elsewhere in the parks, but a good dousing of vinegar on them reminded us we were in England. The fish on the other hand was incredible. It was perfectly beer battered and fried on the outside and hot and flaky on the inside. We were just sad there was only 1 piece.
1 Piece seems a bit skimpy for the $$$. You can get it as the QS location too for less $$ and I "think" it is 2 pieces there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter