To Alaska! A solo Trip~ May 28th - June 4th 2018

Alura21

Earning My Ears
So this is going to be an interesting trip! First trip report and first time cruising solo. Why cruise solo? Why not? I've done both Disneyland and WDW solo and traveled England and France solo as well. So here we go on a solo cruise.

Who am I?

Hi! My name is Laura! I'm a 28 year old lover of travel. I've been several countries and durring college I did a study abroad program called Semester at Sea where we sailed around the world for 4 months visiting 12 different countries. I was basically on the sea for 3 months.

Why an Disney Alaskan Cruise?

I love disney! I live in the LA area so Disneyland is a frequent stop. I'm an Annual passholder and I've been there 100 times. I've also been to WDW several times during my childhood. While Disney cruises are more expensive, especially for a solo traveler, it offered more of what I like. I like the atmopshere Disney provides. I'm not a partier or a heavy drinking and gambling doesn't really interest me. I'm also a child at heart so that lead me to a disney cruise. Why Alaska? Simple. I want to see it before global warming melts. It also seemed to provide a more "authentic" experince compared to going to the carribean where Islands can blend together. The third reason? I just miss the sea. I miss having the sea rock me to sleep and seeing how the ocean is really it's own beast. Being able to look out and just see really nothign around except the stars in the sky.

General other stuff?

I've actually been on the Disney Wonder before back in 2004 when I was still in middle school. That time was in an inside stateroom with my parents. I don't remember much about the cruise. I enjoyed the shows. In terms of the kids club, I spend 2 days of the 3 night cruise. As a single child I tended to shy away from things once I noticed people had already developed cliques. So this time I splurged and got a guarantee ocean view cabin (9C)! So I'll update you guys on the stateroo closer to the cruise. For food I'm most looking forward to Tiana's Place. You can blame the French Market resturant in Disneyland for that. Everytime I go I eat there.

Plans!

May 27th -Fly out to Vancouver and spend the Night!
  • My only plans are to survive flying and immigration and relax at hotel.

May 28th- Embarkation!
  • Step 1: Get on boat.
  • Step 2: Do a happy dance that I am on the boat.
  • Step 3: Visit the kids clubs. (My main reason for this is I'm an assistant editor for all the marvel cartoons so I want to see the space.)
May 29th - Day at sea (YAY):tigger:
  • I'm hoping to make a massage appointment this day.
May 30th- Tracy Arm
  • Take all the pictures!
  • Definitly get a picture with Alaska Minnie, Daisey and Donald.
May 31st- Skagway, Alaska
  • Port Adventure options: Chilkoot Trail Horseback (2nd choice), Musher's Campt & Sled Dog Experince (1st choice), and Adventure park and zip lines.
June 1st- Juneau, Alaska
  • On my own! I'm pretty sure I can find things to do on my own in the capital of Alaska.
June 2nd- Ketchikan, Alaska
  • Saxman Native Village and Exclusive Luberjack Show. I'm not really considering any other port adventures other than this or the Annette Island one. I took a history class in college about the history of Native Americans and the stuff learned in high school is just the tip of the iceberg. It gets worse throught all of history so if I can can give them money through an excusion and learn something as well I'm going to do.
June 3rd- Day at Sea
  • Option 2 for a massage
  • Maybe a Palo brunch?
June 4th- Disembarkation/ Fly home :sad:

That's all for now untill Feburary 27th when I get reserve actually things! :jumping1:

Your plans soud great! Alaska is my favorite cruise and Vancouver was so beautiful. In Juneau we did the whake watching tour and we love it. Cant wait to see your trip report.

Your intro sounds like I could write it! I'm also a perennial solo Disney traveler, and just now started planning a visit to Disneyland Paris alone (actually around the same time you are in Alaska). And I'm a LA native! And I want to do an Alaskan cruise with Disney!

Have so much fun! I may have to steal some tips for my own Disney cruise!

I will be on the same cruise! Three single women; my Mom, a friend and I. We are older than you but if you feel the need for company or want to join activities with us you are more than welcome. We are room 7094! I will have a message board on our room door. Or email me for more contact info. We are doing the dog mush camp excursion while in Skagway. We are signed up for this one - https://www.viator.com/tours/Skagway/Yukon-Dog-Sledding-and-Sightseeing-Tour/d943-29957P8

Have fun!
Lisa

Your intro sounds like I could write it! I'm also a perennial solo Disney traveler, and just now started planning a visit to Disneyland Paris alone (actually around the same time you are in Alaska). And I'm a LA native! And I want to do an Alaskan cruise with Disney!

Have so much fun! I may have to steal some tips for my own Disney cruise!

Awesome! I did a trip to Disneyland Paris solo four years ago. It was fun, but be warned that everyone smokes. Even at Disneyland.

I will be on the same cruise! Three single women; my Mom, a friend and I. We are older than you but if you feel the need for company or want to join activities with us you are more than welcome. We are room 7094! I will have a message board on our room door. Or email me for more contact info. We are doing the dog mush camp excursion while in Skagway. We are signed up for this one - https://www.viator.com/tours/Skagway/Yukon-Dog-Sledding-and-Sightseeing-Tour/d943-29957P8

Have fun!
Lisa
Aww! Thanks so much! You are so kind! Mind if I ask what made you choose that dog mush experience?

Oh, I can't wait to read about your adventures!!! Your trip plans sound amazing so far! Thank you for sharing! :)

Our first cruise to Alaska on the Disney Wonder was on the opening week of the cruise season also. Lots of small icebergs with sea lions and pups floating by and moose on the shoreline. You'll have a great time. Bring a small umbrella and a rain poncho. You will need them.

Update time!

So the most important news is I GOT MY PASSPORT RENEWED! >> After procrastinating for a year this trip finally got me to actually renew it. (It was actually really simple and I didn't need to worry about it at all.) But Yay! I also got a cute passport holder/wallet for it.

Passport Holder.jpg
Behold the cute passport holder!

Anyway I also got new luggage and a tag. The luggage is the minnie mouse from american tourister. And here's the tag!

Tag.jpg
Isn't it cute? However I'm slighting regretting getting a red tag for red luggage...but hey I like the ducks. (Disneyland ducks are the best).

Anyway! So I finally checked in and made all the post adventures/activity reservations I could.

Day 0 Arrive in Canada: Huzzah! It'll be the day I've been counting down to since I've made this trip. I'll be finally going abroad for the first time in FOUR YEARS. :jumping1:
For me that's a long time to not have traveled abroad. So I'm hoping Canada will actually stamp my brand new passport. Anyway, I arrive in Canada pretty early in the morning so step one is to get to Hotel (I will not be naming hotel till after I checked out. Safety and all that jazz). My hope is to drop off luggage there and either explore the city (aka attempt the caliso bridge when I'm afraid of falling), or do a food tour cause who doesn't love food! But I'm hoping to check out the First nation things as well.

Embarktion day:boat::

I got a time of 11:30. Nice and early. I'm not usually a morning person, but the sooner on the boat the better. Plus they'll be a chance of upgrading (if my wallet allows it). The plan for this day (pending. All plans can changing...er will change). Is to get on the ship, eat, try to make a palo reservation and MOST IMPORTANTLY see if there's any martini tastings. It's the only really thing I drink besides wine. So I'm hoping to find one.

Day 2:

11:30pm Princess gathering. I may be an adult, but why the hell not. Character greetings are pretty Plus short lines. Short lines= win.

12:15pm Wine tasting! Yay for being an adult! It'll be sorta weird going on my own, but hey! Wine!

3pm Spa appointment! I got a stone massage appoinment which I am both super excited about and super nervous. Excited due to I love getting this type of massage. It's the best. Sorta nervous because I don't really want to be sold anything....well that's not right. I don't want the fact that someone might sell me something to ruin the mood.

Day 3 Tracy Arm:

So! I got a suprise check in the mail so I'm able to do the Tracy arm excurision! I'm actually pretty happy about this since it seems like a good chance to get some cool photos and put my DSLR to work. The only bad thing is I can't sign up for the martini class this day since the times are too close together. I'm also super excited it's not terribly early. >> I like my sleep!

Day 4 Skagway (the only alaskan port I know how to spell off the top of my head):

The plan is currently to do the dog musher trip! I picked the noon trip so I would have plenty of time to expore/shop/eat in the city. But whee dogs! Now, I know this might seem strange, but I'll probably skip the frozen deck party. Just for the reason, that when I looked it up on youtube it seemed pretty...boring. Like even for kids boring. "Here's a character. Here's another, Here's olaf singing a very short version of his song. OH ELSA'S HERE FOR A SHORT VERSION OF HER SONG. OKAY WE'RE DONE BYEEEEEEE" Just for me personally, I'd like a bit more story into it.

Day 5 Juneau:

Juneau! Aka I have absolutely no plans. But hey, I'm sure I can find something to do in the capital of Alaska. So...yeah....that's it. Tada? :rotfl: OH! BUT I'M EXCITED FOR THE PIXAR PLAY....THING. Yay for Remy!

Day 6 Ketichikan:

Yay! I got the excursion I wanted! The saxman native village. I know I mentioned in my last post, but I took a native american class in college and man, people did terrible things so it was always between this and the other one. I'm not terribly excited for the lumberjack show, but hey, it'll be full of cheesy fun. Also it's always great watching kids get really into a show.

Day 7 Day at Sea:

I don't have any activites planned so far. But you can count on bingo...it seems fun. I may move the spa appointment here if Day 2 seems a bit too crowded. But who know? It's an adventure!

Day 8 Time to go home :sad::

My plans on this day go back and forth. I don't have a flight till the evening so I'll have most of the day in Vancouver. But I'm definitly going to use the luggage service at the port to deliver it to the airport so I don't have to lug it around all day. But depending on what I do the day I arrive this will be the day for everything else. (Probably the aquariam).

And that's the trip so far. Right now the only things to do is maybe get another lens for my DSLR, and buy warmer clothes. Pretty sure I'll need those for Alaska. So the next post will probably be when I get my stateroom assigned to me?

I did Alaska solo when I was 28 too! It was amazing and started a rather wonderful Disney travel addiction. I hope you have a great time.

I vote for not planning that last day at see. I’m a big planner and always find I don’t make enough time on the Disney cruises to just relax and go with the flow of whatever looks good on the navigator at that moment.

Day 5 Juneau:

Juneau! Aka I have absolutely no plans. But hey, I'm sure I can find something to do in the capital of Alaska. So...yeah....that's it. Tada? :rotfl: OH! BUT I'M EXCITED FOR THE PIXAR PLAY....THING. Yay for Remy!

I'm on the cruise right before you, meeting Remy that day is honestly about 15% of the reason I chose this particular cruise as my families first cruise. I was incredibly worried when they did the dry dock and talked about increasing Frozen stuff that the Pixar Play Party would be discontinued. Fortunately our favorite rat is still making appearances!

Great plans!

I'm on the cruise after you and will make my reservations in 3 days...I'm wondering:
1. What time did you get for the Tracy Arm excursion?
2. Did you make your reservations as soon as the window opened? Were things filling up?

Thanks for your help!!!

Great plans!

I'm on the cruise after you and will make my reservations in 3 days...I'm wondering:
1. What time did you get for the Tracy Arm excursion?
2. Did you make your reservations as soon as the window opened? Were things filling up?

Thanks for your help!!!

So unfortunately, I've had to cancel the tracy arm excursion since instead I gave the money that was going to that to charity instead. But there was only one window at 12:30. I booked it right when the window opened for me. However the time WILL change if the ship doesn't end up going to Tracy Arm. Aparently if it goes to the other location, due to too much ice, the ship gets there earlier. Hope that helps!

Ok! Update time! My solo cruise is no longer a solo cruise. Unfortunately my mom died on March 22nd, so I invited my dad to join me. It will be an intersting cruise for sure. Only two months after my mom died, but I think it'll help out a lot. Plus my mom always loved traveling. She was the whole reason that we took a family trip to Lebanon one year.

Anyway! Sad part over. Onto fun stuff! Since my dad is joining me I upgrated to a navigators verandah! I though it would be a nice suprise for him since he keeps talking about just wanting to relax on the cruise. I also requested for it just to be us two at a table. Last thing I want is to be sitting when grief gets ahold of me. Anyway! Those are my updates! Now, if only my dad would pick the port adventures he wants....

Ok! Update time! My solo cruise is no longer a solo cruise. Unfortunately my mom died on March 22nd, so I invited my dad to join me. It will be an intersting cruise for sure. Only two months after my mom died, but I think it'll help out a lot. Plus my mom always loved traveling. She was the whole reason that we took a family trip to Lebanon one year.

Anyway! Sad part over. Onto fun stuff! Since my dad is joining me I upgrated to a navigators verandah! I though it would be a nice suprise for him since he keeps talking about just wanting to relax on the cruise. I also requested for it just to be us two at a table. Last thing I want is to be sitting when grief gets ahold of me. Anyway! Those are my updates! Now, if only my dad would pick the port adventures he wants....
Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss! I hope you and your dad are able to have a great, relaxing trip!

Grief has it's own schedule. Understand about wanting a table for just yourself and your father. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother passing. Hope this trip is healing on many levels and makes great memories for you and your father.

Note to self: Change title.

4 MORE DAYS! 4 MORE DAYS!

I seriously cannot wait till Sunday. I wish it was tomorrow, but I still have so much more to do! But here's what has changed. New hotel! So since my dad is joining me we needed to inform the hotel and for some reason, with us being seasoned travelers, we didn't do this till two weeks ago. Thus Hampton Inn informs us they have no 2 queen rooms. Well obviously that wouldn't do and I did not want to chance of them not having a rollaway bed thus new hotel time! Turns out that when you book a hotel "last minute" they all tend to be around the same price so we chose Fairmont Hotel Vancouver!!! I'm strangely excited for this hotel! What can I say, I like fancy hotels and fancy things (Staying at the Ritz in London is on my bucket list). Anyway, surpring it just under 400 dollars. But huzzah!

I also got a new computer! Which is tiny and compact, unlike my 17 inch which hurt my back when bringing on planes. This is nice and might and it may even fit in my purse! The only thing left to buy is a fleece and a rain jacket. Unfortunately looking at the weather is looking a bit cold so going to be packing a winter jacket. Well that depends on on what rain jacket I get. So here's the plan for Travel day.

Step 1: Wake up
Step 2: Get Lyft or drive to airport
Step 3: Get through Security without wanting to strangle peeps.
Step 4: Board plane!
Step 5: Try to sleep on plane (HA!)
Step 6: Land in Vancouver.

Yaaay Vancouver. After my dad lands then we'll go through Customs together then head to airport. Most likely this will be taxi, but we might use the train? So once we get to the hotel, the room will probably, most likely, not be ready yet. So drop off luggage and go do something! What that will be I have no idea. I keep going between Grouse mountain (for bears), Aquariam, and the MOA museum.

And...that's all the plans I have for that day. The trip is so close!!! Anyway, I'm hoping to make some posts while on the cruise it honestly depends on how much internet is. So stay tuned till the next update!

So sorry to hear about your loss.

I'll be going on this cruise during the same time period next year so I'm excited to hear about your adventures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter