To Das or not To DAS

MommaGinger

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

My DH, DD and I are going to WDW in the fall. My daughter has epilepsy. Thank goodness her seizures are well controlled with her medication but as a side effect of her medication she fatigues very easily and the heat triggers her migraines. In addition, When she gets overly tired her seizure threshold lowers. She is 10 and up until this trip we have always used a stroller (last trip she was 7) and got a DAS to use it as a wheelchair so she could sit whilst we waited on line. That worked great for us but now that she is older she does not want to use a stroller and I don't blame her. I don't think she will be able to stand/walk for more than a few hours without being so tired that we would have to leave. I told her we will take it easy and take a lot of breaks through the day. I also scheduled our meals throughout the day so that she has a nice long break every few hours where she can cool down and relax. Would she qualify for a DAS? Thank you for your opinions/advice.

No one here can say with certainty whether or not your DD would qualify for a DAS. Only guest services at the park can make those determinations. However, what is important is to be able to describe to guest services why she would have difficulty waiting in the standard queue environment. If you just say she is unable to stand or walk for more than a few hours, they will classify that as a mobility issue and recommend a wheelchair. You need to consider what other aspects of the lines will be a challenge for her.

Realize that the attraction lines are only a small portion of the walking and standing required of a trip to WDW. While a DAS may help with lines for attractions, it won't help with any of the other walking. So I'd recommend you seriously consider a wheelchair. She wouldn't have to ride in it at all times, but could use it to help her make it longer in the parks.

Daa and stroller as wheelchair tag are two different things. The tag let's you take a stroller into line, das let's you wait outside the line. You can use either one or both. Maybe try doing it the first day without a wheelchair, and if it gets to be too much you can always rent a wheelchair at the park. You can take the wheelchair into lines without a das, tag, etc

Thanks for the advice. We will certainly see how it goes. I am going to ask for the DAS but go into it knowing that we might not get one and if so we will just have to take it as easy as possible. I really do not want her to have to use a wheelchair unless we have not other option. She is at the age where she is very sensitive about standing out and had a really hard time in school with kids teasing her for getting "special treatment" in school due to her disability. To her using a wheelchair would cause more anxiety then good it would do her. Thank you again!!!

Hi Everyone,

My DH, DD and I are going to WDW in the fall. My daughter has epilepsy. Thank goodness her seizures are well controlled with her medication but as a side effect of her medication she fatigues very easily and the heat triggers her migraines. In addition, When she gets overly tired her seizure threshold lowers. She is 10 and up until this trip we have always used a stroller (last trip she was 7) and got a DAS to use it as a wheelchair so she could sit whilst we waited on line. That worked great for us but now that she is older she does not want to use a stroller and I don't blame her. I don't think she will be able to stand/walk for more than a few hours without being so tired that we would have to leave. I told her we will take it easy and take a lot of breaks through the day. I also scheduled our meals throughout the day so that she has a nice long break every few hours where she can cool down and relax. Would she qualify for a DAS? Thank you for your opinions/advice.

a DAS is NOT a stroller as Wheelchair tag. one DOES NOT require eligibility for a DAS in order to get a SaW tag.

fatigue issues DO NOT qualify for DAS. she will either need to be in a wheelchair( they make pediatric sized ones that can be rented off site) or you need to follow through on your plans for many breaks.

Do not listen to the nay sayers. Ask for a DAS. I am 100% sure that there are multiple ways that standing in a long queue with varying stimuli, lighting changes, heat from the press of the crowd, etc. could trigger an episode. Don't even mention fatigue as a reason.

I dont know if yoy would qualify for a das or not, it will likely depend on the CM and how you explain what her needs are. But one thing to consider with using a das is that it could cause your daughter to have to do a lot more walking. You can send one member of the group to obtain the das return time, which will help, but depending on wait times you can't always do things in the order you would wish and there can be a lot of crisscrossing certain areas of the park. Das was very helpful for us, but my daughter never could have managed all the extra walking without her special needs stroller.

You need to be able to tell the CM at GR why your child can not be in lines things like she gets tiers fast will more then likely be told to use a wheel chair. ( you said in the past that all she needed what to be able to be in a stroller for lines) I would think all she would need is to be able to site in lines and would not need a DAS, you can by all means talk to GR but I think you answered your own question. I hope you have a great trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter