To do or not to do...these are my questions

LittleBlue22

DIS Veteran
When planting starts, do I pinch the bottoms to get the roots loose? Or do I slice the middle of the bottom of the plans? Or do I just stick the whole start in the ground?

I put some annuals in a pot yesterday and is there such thing as over crowding?

those are my questions for now. I thought I'd try gardening. I'm such a green thumb, but I really want to give it a try.

are there any gardening sites for newbies to the hobby?

I think that as long as the roots aren't circling around and choking the plant, you can basically leave them alone and plant them as they come out of the pot. Make sure you loosen up the soil in the garden and add some compost or planting mix to the soil before you plant.

Plant according to the spacing advice on the tag. If you're planting annuals in a pot or container, use a good quality potting soil, add some slow release fertilizer, and plant them much closer than the spacing advice on the tag. I sometimes plant them so close that their root balls are pressed up against one another. If there's a good amount of soil below, and enough nutrients, they will thrive.

Watch your watering. Plants in a container consume more water than in the garden, and they don't have the reserves that garden-planted plants have. Check in the a.m. for water, and again in the p.m.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter