To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Thanks! Since my intention is purely indoor training, would a smart trainer make more sense for a similar cost (around $500)? *not that that is happening anytime soon.

If all you're doing is training indoors, you can get by with Zwift and a turbo trainer. A smart trainer is certainly better, but the fluid trainer will be fine.

You can try all you might, but it won't happen. :flower1: Not even a glimmer of hope.

That's what I told @mateojr about our plans, until this afternoon in the car when he did the math to demonstrate how fast he could run the Marathon Weekend 10K based on his current 5K PR, followed by a bunch of other running calculations. It was very persuasive! Never say never. :)

Fit is definitely important, especially for longer rides to avoid injury and maintain good form.

I actually got the saddle on my nice bike (I have two road bikes now) replaced with one that has two different seating heights that I can adjust mid-ride to change up position slightly and drop into aero even more comfortably.

I don’t know if anyone mentioned it above, but definitely get you a pair of gloves ... my hands get uncomfortable pretty quickly and the gloves are a godsend for long rides - even on the trainer.

I don’t use Zwift (at least not yet), but use Trainer Road instead as it’s the same program all the people I train with use and I’m still working on getting better and more efficient at gearing and climbing, so if you feel the need to mix it up - let me know and I can send you a free trial.

For me, any ride longer than 2 hours (so, right now that’s between 32-34 miles) is done outside - it’s always a good “reality check” for me, because just like trying to simulate a run on a treadmill, it’s no true replacement for the same thing outside. Plus, I gotta work on getting my water bottle out of the cage while riding somehow.

Some days, I just can't and I am like "I am going to die out here, I know it." Hahaha.

I did 45 miles last week and I had to stop twice to get my water. I got so frustrated, I said I was just going to buy a backpack instead.

My husband said no, that he was going to take my credit card away and I was going to fall as many times as I have to until I figure it out.

:sad:

That's what I told @mateojr about our plans, until this afternoon in the car when he did the math to demonstrate how fast he could run the Marathon Weekend 10K based on his current 5K PR, followed by a bunch of other running calculations. It was very persuasive! Never say never. :)

Kids have a way of being persuasive. Although, we're going in May for my MIL's birthday, so she'll get her fill soon enough.

Fit is definitely important, especially for longer rides to avoid injury and maintain good form.

That's good to know.

I actually got the saddle on my nice bike (I have two road bikes now) replaced with one that has two different seating heights that I can adjust mid-ride to change up position slightly and drop into aero even more comfortably.

That sounds pretty cool. Would help alleviate some pressure on other muscles as well I'd imagine by switching up the form just slightly.

I don’t know if anyone mentioned it above, but definitely get you a pair of gloves ... my hands get uncomfortable pretty quickly and the gloves are a godsend for long rides - even on the trainer.

Anything in particular? I can add it to the growing list.

I don’t use Zwift (at least not yet), but use Trainer Road instead as it’s the same program all the people I train with use and I’m still working on getting better and more efficient at gearing and climbing, so if you feel the need to mix it up - let me know and I can send you a free trial.

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind. It looks like I should have all the necessary pieces by tomorrow and plan to give Zwift a try. Then do the FTP test on Sunday to get a good barometer for the power zones specific to the Swift setup so that I can make sure I'm training more appropriately on there. I'm considering doing the Beginner FTP 6 week plan they have on Zwift (link) while I slowly build the running mileage back up (fingers crossed on the all clear on Monday).

For me, any ride longer than 2 hours (so, right now that’s between 32-34 miles) is done outside - it’s always a good “reality check” for me, because just like trying to simulate a run on a treadmill, it’s no true replacement for the same thing outside. Plus, I gotta work on getting my water bottle out of the cage while riding somehow.

Oh, I believe it. Treadmills and trainers are simulations, but not the same as those outdoor runs/rides. LOL, I've tried buckling a helmet for my daughter while riding the indoor bike and that was a challenge for sure. I can't imagine trying to reach below me for something. I don't have that type of balance/flexibility.

I have Elite Gel gloves from Pearl Izumi that I got at the outlet.

Oh. They’re $8 on the website right now! They’re usually likes $35, but I got mine for $20 at the outlet.

I have Elite Gel gloves from Pearl Izumi that I got at the outlet.

Oh. They’re $8 on the website right now! They’re usually likes $35, but I got mine for $20 at the outlet.

Hmm can I sneak one more purchase in before I get... :scratchin :scared1:

I don’t clip in (I have cages on my pedals until I can get custom cranksets to make things even ... stupid clubfoot), but I still fall ALL THE TIME.

So zwift says 143 watts at about 15mph and 102 HR. Whereas the onboard power computer with the trainer says 16mph and 287 watts. Why such a discrepancy? I feel the zwift number seems more reasonable given the effort level. Both are set at the correct weight. Zwift did experience some drop outs with the watts and cadence, but I was no where close to upper 200s when not dropping out. Thoughts? I mean an almost 4.0 watts/kg without trying doesn't seem reasonable from the computer.

What power meter were you using? Was it calibrated before you started riding? Zwift power from a turbo trainer isn't exact, but it's usually within 10%.

What power meter were you using? Was it calibrated before you started riding? Zwift power from a turbo trainer isn't exact, but it's usually within 10%.

The power meter came with the watt master trainer. It appears to be connected directly to the fluid chamber and the roller. I didnt do any type of calibration with the meter. I just started riding and messing with the gears on the bike to find something comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter