To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

LOVE that song and have dreamed of doing a Gazelle themed race outfit. It's a great motivational song IMO. I tried a practice run with abbreviated horns like hers and the wind resistance was not ideal. Also when I showed her to DH and said I wanted to make a costume I overheard him telling someone I was going to run the marathon as a "slutty giraffe" o_O So I shelved it.
But thanks now that song is going to replace "Shallow" as my mental loop since the Oscars.

Wednesday

Steph was exhausted, so we skipped the 80DO workout. We decided to try and do rope drop at AK to get on FOP. We had a FP for noon, but decided we could do more with our day if made it on in a reasonable time. So we planned to meet at the bus stop at 7:45am, but then Heidi saw on the app that the bus was headed our way. So we all sprinted out of the hotel and made it on the bus with moments to spare. So the bus was there 1:15 hours before the park opened (9am) not the 45 min like I thought normally. So when we made it to AK we got there around 8:05-8:10 and were only about 20-30 deep in line at the gates. Then they let us start to walk towards FOP around 8:30. It was raining which wasn't the greatest, but not terrible. We didn't have to wait too long because we were on the ride around 9:00am. Got off and G met us in the store. She bought a necklace and horse with the remainder of her money. We were going to do Navi River, but it was down and EE wasn't running because of the rain. So we said sayonra after AK only being open for 10-15 min. Saw @Wendy98 again as we headed towards the buses.

Got on a bus to EPCOT, but should have gone to an EPCOT resort because it took forever for a bus to come. Got to EPCOT and headed towards Soarin. Steph changed all of our FP and we got SE and TT. Went on Soarin. Ate some PB cake. Did Figment. Walked around the countries for food. Met Elsa/Anna. Rode SE for possibly the last time as it is now. Got a twin pearl (G has a knack for choosing the right oyster). Rode 3 Amigos. Rode TT and G was excited to beat our other car with a 225 score. She wasn't real thrilled with the ride itself. Got off TT and headed towards the monorail to head towards MK.

Surprised we didn't cross paths again. That was our day: AK, EP, and MK. We took a short break back at the resort between EP and MK. We didn't stay extremely late at MK--we were so tired! I don't know how your little one did 3 parks! And we had a similar experience going from AK to EP. It took FOREVER for a bus to come. While we waited, 4 HS and 2 MK buses came. I have no idea what the problem was with EP busing, but wished we had taken a bus to an EP resort also.

And I didn't run that day--I wasn't going out in the rain!

Surprised we didn't cross paths again. That was our day: AK, EP, and MK. We took a short break back at the resort between EP and MK. We didn't stay extremely late at MK--we were so tired! I don't know how your little one did 3 parks! And we had a similar experience going from AK to EP. It took FOREVER for a bus to come. While we waited, 4 HS and 2 MK buses came. I have no idea what the problem was with EP busing, but wished we had taken a bus to an EP resort also.

And I didn't run that day--I wasn't going out in the rain!

That's so funny! Wonder how close we were. G was definitely getting delirious towards the end there, but she was a real trooper making it from open to close like that with no breaks. That rain was definitely annoying.

105 Days to Go! (Climbing Higher Mountains) + Short Power Build - Mid-Vol - Week 2 + 80 Day Obsession Week 11

2/25/19 - M - Volunteer (30 min; 22 TSS)
2/26/19 - T - 80DO-D63-AAA + Baird+6 (90 min; 110 TSS)
2/27/19 - W - 80DO-D64-Cardio Flow + 30 min Run @ Easy
2/28/19 - R - 80DO-D65-Legs + Whiteface (75 min; 94 TSS)
3/1/19 - F - 80DO-D66-Total Body Core + 30 min Run @ Easy
3/2/19 - Sa - Lion Rock (90 min; 103 TSS) + 80DO-D67-Cardio Core + 30 min Run @ Easy
3/3/19 - Su - Juneau-1 (120 min; 129 TSS) + 80DO-D68-Booty

Total Run Miles - 9.8 miles
Total Run Tim - 1:31 hours
Total Run TSS - 85

Total Biking Time - 6:45 hours
Total Biking TSS - 458 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 5:32 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 115 TSS

Total Training Time - 13:48 hours (PR)
Total TSS - 658 TSS (PR)

Monday

Scheduled a very easy 30 min bike to get the TSS up. This boosted two days to occur later in the week from just barely neutral to just barely optimal. Did it in the morning before G was up so I didn't take away from our time together that evening.

Tuesday

AAA was 3 x 10 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set.

Series 1: Czech Press, Front Raise, Slider Windshield Wipers, Side Lunge Hold
Series 2: Bridge Pull Over, Camel Bicep Curl, Weighted Twisted Roll Down, Marching Bridge
Series 3: Bridge Bilateral Press, Tricep Kickback in Lunge, Weighted Knee Drops, Curtsy Lunge Pulse

Steph came home.

The bike evening was 3 sets of 5x90-second intervals at 120% FTP followed by 30 minutes at 65% FTP. Recoveries between intervals are 1 minute long and recoveries between sets of intervals are 5 minutes long. It was hard but manageable. I got a near pair of Pearl Izumi bibs (Elite Escape). They're really nice compared to the most cheaper bike shorts I had gotten first. I've been getting a hole to develop in all my shorts/pants since I got the new bike and I might have finally found the rough surface causing the issue (now trying to figure out how to fix it before it ruins anymore clothes).

Wednesday

80DO workout Phase 3 Cardio Flow was 4 reps progressing though all the moves and then an entire run through 8 times. I was totally beat by the end of it.

Nice and easy 30 min run. Aimed to keep the HR at 130 or less again. Nailed it with an average HR of 130. The pace was also faster than a week ago 10:40 vs 9:25 min/mile with roughly the same pace. I didn't anticipate this rate of improvement would hold, but still nice to get closer to where I was.

Thursday

80DO Leg workout. Again, 3 x 10 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set. Got some 20 pound weights and was excited to start using them in all the workouts.

Series 1: Side to Side Squat, Alt. Weighted Squat Jump, Figure 4 Squat
Series 2: Slider Side Lunge, Half Skater Lunge Jump, Low Rocking Side Lunge
Series 3: Slide Front Diagonal Lunge, Split Squat Jump, Buddah Squat
Series 4: Sumo Double Slide-in, Sumo Cross Jump, Goblet Sumo Squat

The bike workout was another fun one. Whiteface consists of 6x5-minute sets of VO2max repeats where you'll ride for 15-25 seconds at 125% FTP and then 'float' for 15-30 seconds at 88% FTP. 6 minutes of recovery separate each set. Another successful ride. I've been doing some additional research on TrainerRoad and their Ironman plan and trying to figure out how best to bridge where I am going to be and where that plan takes me. In the process, I was reading their forums and read that Spanish Needle is one of the hardest and most failed workouts in their repertoire. They're considering altering it because it's failed so often. So then it dawned on me that I did Spanish Needle +1 last Saturday. This was a slightly harder version of Spanish Needle. And while it was extremely difficult, I did complete it. So then there's a place where you can see other public profiles of people attempting workouts and in the last year there were only about 10 people who even attempted it and only 3 of us completed it in full. Several bailed completely, and others dramatically reduced the intensity. A nice boost to see that.

Friday

80DO Total Body Core workout. Again a 3x10 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set.

Series 1: Surrender to Shoulder Press, Quad Ped Crawl, Burpee Sliders
Series 2: Bent Over Row Tap Back, Squat Tabletop Row, Saw on Sliders
Series 3: Modified 1/2 Turkish Push-up, Side Reach Push-up, V Crunch to Scissor Crunch
Series 4: Runner's Lunge Curl, Static Sumo Hammer Curl, Slider Crawl Out
Series 5: Tricep Push up w/ knee tuck, Squat Hold Kickbacks, Weighted Windmills

Another easy day running day at 30 min. I decided to go more for a EB-ish with strides pace. Mainly I was interested to see where the strides ended up. The HR average was 136. The average pace was 9:08. The moment I started the first stride I could immediately tell a difference. My whole backside (booty and hamstrings) was totally locked in. There was a heck of a lot more power coming from back there. I could really sit down into my running position and it felt strong. Got up to a 5:46 min/mile pace. So the power seems to still be there. It'll be interesting to see how this continues to play out.

Saturday

My first triple day. Bike+80DO+Run.

Lion Rock is what they call a racewinner. I was a little scared of this one because in the past when I've done a sprint leading into a sustained ride it's been an absolute bear of a workout. Lion Rock is 3 sets of 3x5-minute Threshold efforts that begin with a 15-second sprint at 150% FTP and then settle in for 4 minutes at 95% FTP, aka "racewinners". Each set finishes with a 30-second "kick to the line" in the form of a ramp from 95% FTP all the way up to 140% FTP. Recoveries between intervals are only 1 minute long but recoveries between sets of intervals are each 10 minutes long. While it was more challenging than most workouts, I did enjoy the mentality of the workout. You were suppose to pretend people were chasing you and it was truly a race to the finish. It felt like it.

Right after the bike it was time for 80DO Cardio Core workout. A series of cardio HIIT moves and then a core move.

Then, I saved the run for the afternoon. Made it a triple day with rest instead of a brick workout. The run was 30 min at easy. I've been trying to overdress to get the Raynaud's at bay and thus far it's been working. But it almost makes every day a HAT day (Heat Acclimation Training) which in it's own right has been a bear. I think I let this one get away from me too much though. Average HR was 134 and pace was 9:15. Didn't actually feel much fatigue at all from the earlier workouts in the day.

Sunday

Juneau -1 is 4x18-minute intervals at 88-92% FTP with brief, 2-minute intermediate recoveries during each long interval. 7-minute recoveries fall between intervals. Honestly, it was hard, but not that hard. Felt like it was a sustainable pace. Nice to put the cherry on top of the cycling week.

80DO Booty was a 3x10 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set.

Series 1: Side Squat Hop Hold, Kneeling Lateral Crawl to Half Surrender, Single-Leg Hamstring Slide
Series 2: Single Leg Runner's Jump w/ Weight, Single-Leg Hinge, Slider Reversal Lunge Pulse
Series 3: Narrow Squat Rock, Front Lunge/Side Lunge, Side Lunge to Curtsy

This week has taken me into new higher places. And the plan is to keep pushing that boundary. But everything continues to progress at a nice even rate. Just trying to climb higher mountains to get back to where I was.

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 3.31.37 PM.png

105 Days to Go! (Climbing Higher Mountains) + Short Power Build - Mid-Vol - Week 2 + 80 Day Obsession Week 11

2/25/19 - M - Volunteer (30 min; 22 TSS)
2/26/19 - T - 80DO-D63-AAA + Baird+6 (90 min; 110 TSS)
2/27/19 - W - 80DO-D64-Cardio Flow + 30 min Run @ Easy
2/28/19 - R - 80DO-D65-Legs + Whiteface (75 min; 94 TSS)
3/1/19 - F - 80DO-D66-Total Body Core + 30 min Run @ Easy
3/2/19 - Sa - Lion Rock (90 min; 103 TSS) + 80DO-D67-Cardio Core + 30 min Run @ Easy
3/3/19 - Su - Juneau-1 (120 min; 129 TSS) + 80DO-D68-Booty

Total Run Miles - 9.8 miles
Total Run Tim - 1:31 hours
Total Run TSS - 85

Total Biking Time - 6:45 hours
Total Biking TSS - 458 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 5:32 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 115 TSS

Total Training Time - 13:48 hours (PR)
Total TSS - 658 TSS (PR)

Monday

Scheduled a very easy 30 min bike to get the TSS up. This boosted two days to occur later in the week from just barely neutral to just barely optimal. Did it in the morning before G was up so I didn't take away from our time together that evening.

Tuesday

AAA was 3 x 10 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set.

Series 2: Bridge Pull Over, Camel Bicep Curl, Weighted Twisted Roll Down, Marching Bridge
Series 3: Bridge Bilateral Press, Tricep Kickback in Lunge, Weighted Knee Drops, Curtsy Lunge Pulse

Steph came home.

The bike evening was 3 sets of 5x90-second intervals at 120% FTP followed by 30 minutes at 65% FTP. Recoveries between intervals are 1 minute long and recoveries between sets of intervals are 5 minutes long. It was hard but manageable. I got a near pair of Pearl Izumi bibs (Elite Escape). They're really nice compared to the most cheaper bike shorts I had gotten first. I've been getting a hole to develop in all my shorts/pants since I got the new bike and I might have finally found the rough surface causing the issue (now trying to figure out how to fix it before it ruins anymore clothes).

Wednesday

80DO workout Phase 3 Cardio Flow was 4 reps progressing though all the moves and then an entire run through 8 times. I was totally beat by the end of it.

Nice and easy 30 min run. Aimed to keep the HR at 130 or less again. Nailed it with an average HR of 130. The pace was also faster than a week ago 10:40 vs 9:25 min/mile with roughly the same pace. I didn't anticipate this rate of improvement would hold, but still nice to get closer to where I was.

Thursday

80DO Leg workout. Again, 3 x 10 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set. Got some 20 pound weights and was excited to start using them in all the workouts.

The bike workout was another fun one. Whiteface consists of 6x5-minute sets of VO2max repeats where you'll ride for 15-25 seconds at 125% FTP and then 'float' for 15-30 seconds at 88% FTP. 6 minutes of recovery separate each set. Another successful ride. I've been doing some additional research on TrainerRoad and their Ironman plan and trying to figure out how best to bridge where I am going to be and where that plan takes me. In the process, I was reading their forums and read that Spanish Needle is one of the hardest and most failed workouts in their repertoire. They're considering altering it because it's failed so often. So then it dawned on me that I did Spanish Needle +1 last Saturday. This was a slightly harder version of Spanish Needle. And while it was extremely difficult, I did complete it. So then there's a place where you can see other public profiles of people attempting workouts and in the last year there were only about 10 people who even attempted it and only 3 of us completed it in full. Several bailed completely, and others dramatically reduced the intensity. A nice boost to see that.

Friday

80DO Total Body Core workout. Again a 3x10 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set.

Series 3: Modified 1/2 Turkish Push-up, Side Reach Push-up, V Crunch to Scissor Crunch

Another easy day running day at 30 min. I decided to go more for a EB-ish with strides pace. Mainly I was interested to see where the strides ended up. The HR average was 136. The average pace was 9:08. The moment I started the first stride I could immediately tell a difference. My whole backside (booty and hamstrings) was totally locked in. There was a heck of a lot more power coming from back there. I could really sit down into my running position and it felt strong. Got up to a 5:46 min/mile pace. So the power seems to still be there. It'll be interesting to see how this continues to play out.

Saturday

My first triple day. Bike+80DO+Run.

Lion Rock is what they call a racewinner. I was a little scared of this one because in the past when I've done a sprint leading into a sustained ride it's been an absolute bear of a workout. Lion Rock is 3 sets of 3x5-minute Threshold efforts that begin with a 15-second sprint at 150% FTP and then settle in for 4 minutes at 95% FTP, aka "racewinners". Each set finishes with a 30-second "kick to the line" in the form of a ramp from 95% FTP all the way up to 140% FTP. Recoveries between intervals are only 1 minute long but recoveries between sets of intervals are each 10 minutes long. While it was more challenging than most workouts, I did enjoy the mentality of the workout. You were suppose to pretend people were chasing you and it was truly a race to the finish. It felt like it.

Right after the bike it was time for 80DO Cardio Core workout. A series of cardio HIIT moves and then a core move.

Then, I saved the run for the afternoon. Made it a triple day with rest instead of a brick workout. The run was 30 min at easy. I've been trying to overdress to get the Raynaud's at bay and thus far it's been working. But it almost makes every day a HAT day (Heat Acclimation Training) which in it's own right has been a bear. I think I let this one get away from me too much though. Average HR was 134 and pace was 9:15. Didn't actually feel much fatigue at all from the earlier workouts in the day.

Sunday

Juneau -1 is 4x18-minute intervals at 88-92% FTP with brief, 2-minute intermediate recoveries during each long interval. 7-minute recoveries fall between intervals. Honestly, it was hard, but not that hard. Felt like it was a sustainable pace. Nice to put the cherry on top of the cycling week.

80DO Booty was a 3x10 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set.

Series 1: Side Squat Hop Hold, Kneeling Lateral Crawl to Half Surrender, Single-Leg Hamstring Slide
Series 2: Single Leg Runner's Jump w/ Weight, Single-Leg Hinge, Slider Reversal Lunge Pulse

This week has taken me into new higher places. And the plan is to keep pushing that boundary. But everything continues to progress at a nice even rate. Just trying to climb higher mountains to get back to where I was.

View attachment 386131
So happy to see you back to running! Can’t wait to see where this training cycle takes you.

So happy to see you back to running! Can’t wait to see where this training cycle takes you.

Thanks! Hopefully to the tallest mountains!

Awesome to hear the runs are going well.

Nice! I have the POWER! Now, I'm just looking for the endurance to match.... :D

I'm exhausted just reading all this! Wow!

I was feeling it on Thursday/Friday, but honestly after a good night's rest on Saturday night I came back refreshed to attack the weekend.

98 Days to Go! (Touch the Sky) + Short Power Build - Mid-Vol - Week 3 (Peak) + 80 Day Obsession Week 12 (Peak)

3/4/19 - M - OFF
3/5/19 - T - 80DO-D69-AAA + Bashful+6 (90 min; 113 TSS)
3/6/19 - W - 80DO-D70-Cardio Flow + 40 min Run @ Easy
3/7/19 - R - 80DO-D71-Legs + Mitchell (75 min; 100 TSS)
3/8/19 - F - 80DO-D72-Total Body Core + 40 min Run @ Easy (w/ strides)
3/9/19 - Sa - Junction (90 min; 107 TSS) + 80DO-D73-Cardio Core + 40 min Run @ Easy
3/10/19 - Su - Tallac+3 (120 min; 135 TSS) + 80DO-D74-Booty

Total Run Miles - 13.6 miles
Total Run Tim - 2:04 hours
Total Run TSS - 129 TSS

Total Biking Time - 6:15 hours
Total Biking TSS - 455 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 5:12 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 113 TSS

Total Training Time - 13:32 hours
Total TSS - 697 TSS (PR)

Monday

18 days of working out in a row. Finally a day off. The Disney trip threw a wrench into the training plan, but things have finally all reset since then. But one thing I could tell is that my body is responding well to the training. Normally during periods of high adaptation for me, my HR plummets during the day. If it's high, then the stress is high. If it's super low, then my body is adapting and getting stronger. During Monday my HR got as low as 37 mid-day with long stretches in the low 40s.

Tuesday

Here we are at the end of Phase 3 of 80DO! AAA was 2 x 15 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set.

Prior to the bike workout, the HR was again trending low at around low 40s when I wasn't actually moving around. But post-bike workout the HR jumped back up in the high 50s/60s.

The bike workout was 3 sets of 5x90-second intervals at 122% FTP followed by 25 minutes of Endurance work at 65% FTP. Recoveries between intervals are 1 minute long and recoveries between sets of intervals are 8 minutes long. So this week was just a slightly higher FTP (122 vs 120) than last week. Looks like the workout was doable without adjustments.

Wednesday

80DO workout Phase 3 Cardio Flow was 4 reps progressing though all the moves and then an entire run through 8 times. This one has been wearing on me. It just seems so tedious. Already decided that when Ironman level training starts at 80DO workouts replace swim workouts, that Cardio Flow will end up on the cutting room floor.

An easy 40 min run. So this week marked a bump up in duration from the last two weeks at 30 min, to now 40 min. I focused on HR for this one and held the average at 133 for a pace of 9:27 min/mile.

Thursday

80DO Leg workout. Again, 2 x 15 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set. Got some 20 pound weights and was excited to start using them in all the workouts.

Another fun bike workout of six 5.5-minute sets of VO2max repeats where you'll ride for 15-25 seconds at 125% FTP and then "float" for 15-30 seconds at 88% FTP. 3 minutes of recovery separate each set. So the weekly progression of this workout took the total set time of VO2max from 4.5 min, to 5 min, to this week's 5.5 min. Another successful workout.

Friday

80DO Total Body Core workout. Again a 2x15 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set.

Another easy run day. I decided to add in some slightly longer duration strides just to see where that pure power is sitting right now. I also decided to run the first few miles purely by effort. Felt like it was an EB/LR effort and the HR agrees (around 136). The pace was very stable using GAP (grade adjusted pace) as one would expect when honing in on effort instead of normal pace (8:46, 8:42, 8:44 min/mile). The strides were nice to run as well. Went with the NB 1440s for the first time to see how they felt fast. Looks like I ran around 25 sec strides and the pace was around a 5:50-6:00 min/mile. I'd say this felt like mile pace. So everything seems to be lining up at the moment. I've decided to do a mile test at the conclusion of this 8 week easy period just to get an initial pace assessment before the real HM training begins. I'll be interested to see if it ends up around a 6 min/mile.

Saturday

So last week was the first time I had done Bike+80DO+Run in the same day. But today would mark the first time I attempted to do them all consecutively with minimal break between.

You know you're in for it when the workout starts by saying, "This is a BRUTAL workout. You should be fully rested before attempting this. Do NOT be discouraged if you can't complete this or need to adjust. This will push you to the limit." Well... can't say I'm fully rested, so this should be fun! Junction is a combination workout consisting of 2 sets of 3x5-minute racewinners which each begin with a 15-second sprint at 150% FTP followed by 4 minutes at 95% FTP. Active recoveries between racewinners are 1 minute long and recoveries after each set of racewinners are 5 minutes long. The second half of the workout is comprised of 3x8 minutes of microbursts where you'll alternate between 15 seconds at 150% FTP and 15 seconds at 40% FTP. Active recoveries between microburst sets last a little over 3 minutes each. They didn't lie... this was a very very challenging workout and it pushed me very hard. I made it up to the 2nd set of sprints before I had to adjust the %FTP down to 95%. So allowed the workout to let up just a tiny touch. But I did survive the workout.

Right after the bike it was time for 80DO Cardio Core workout. A series of cardio HIIT moves and then a core move. Man following that bike workout up with this 80DO session was brutal.

But I wasn't finished yet. The weather was scheduled to take a turn for the worst (ice/rain/wind/cold) which made a late afternoon run a bad idea. So that meant I couldn't save the run for later. So I quickly threw on some running clothes and was out the door 5 min after the 80DO workout ended. Being covered in sweat didn't make a cold run easy. Just kept the effort very easy. Never felt like a struggle at all and was barely ever breathing. HR was 140 average and pace 9:15 min/mile. A bit of a divergence from other runs recently, but given the other two workouts immediately proceeding it, I wasn't surprised. Felt easy. The effort was solid as well with GAP at 9:25, 9:04, 9:07, and 9:01.

This workout registered a 177 on TSS which is only 2nd to a 19 mile Hybrid training run (14 mile LR + 5 mile M Tempo) from Sep 2017. Now there's certainly an argument as to whether a combined TSS from bike+strength+run is even a viable measurement, but even from just a calorie standpoint this set of workouts registers pretty highly on the scale of overall stress. It was the first workout since I've returned to training in November where I finished the workout and said to myself, "Yea, I just did something hard." So we're headed in the right direction.

My left knee was bothering me in the late afternoon, but I think it was just me being lazy in the remainder of the day and not moving much. So it just got stiff on me.

Sunday

The knee was not an issue.

Thankfully no warnings before this bike workout. Just a heads-up, this is tough, but because of where it lies in relation it's a workout you'll recover from quickly. Tallac +3 is 5x15-minute efforts spent in the Sweet Spot, 88-94% FTP, with 7-minute recoveries between intervals. After running some calculations on Saturday, I knew I would be trending very closely to the -30 limit for "Form" and overtraining if I completed the Sunday workouts in full. Hemmed and hawed a few times during the bike workout whether to drop an interval. But alas, I decided just to do it in full with no adjustments. I survived it. A nice challenge coming off yesterday.

80DO Booty was a 2x15 and do all three sets within a series before moving on to the next set.

That was a push to the current limit. That Booty workout kicked my booty. But I did survive it. And it looks like I ended up juuuuust under the -30 guideline with a -29.6. I got up high enough just to "touch the sky." Perfect timing for a recovery week. Per the guidelines the up weeks should be around 20-30 weekly TSS higher than current and the recovery weeks should be about 10 weekly TSS lower than current. So I adjusted next week to slightly lower to allow enough recovery (and hopefully adaptations!).

Also, with the end of Phase 3 of 80DO comes another measurement day:

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 4.16.16 PM.png

91 Days to Go! (Obsession) + Short Power Build - Mid-Vol - Week 4 (Recovery) + 80 Day Obsession Week 13 (Peak Week)

3/11/19 - M - OFF
3/12/19 - T - 80DO-D75-AAA + Townsend (90 min; 60 TSS)
3/13/19 - W - 80DO-D76-Cardio Flow + 40 min Run @ Easy
3/14/19 - R - 80DO-D77-Legs + Dans (30 min; 13 TSS)
3/15/19 - F - 80DO-D78-Total Body Core + 40 min Run @ Easy (w/ strides)
3/16/19 - Sa - Mokelumne+1 (90 min; 64 TSS) + 80DO-D79-Cardio Core + 40 min Run @ Easy
3/17/19 - Su - Boarstone (120 min; 97 TSS) + 80DO-D80-Booty

Total Run Miles - 13.5 miles
Total Run Time - 2:02 hours
Total Run TSS - 122 TSS

Total Biking Time - 5:30 hours
Total Biking TSS - 234 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 5:16 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 80 TSS

Total Training Time - 12:48 hours
Total TSS - 436 TSS

Monday

Day off!

Tuesday

Time for 80DO Peak Week! The last week of 80DO. Autumn decided to pull some of the hardest workouts from the past 12 weeks to help us see how far we've come. This AAA workout was a Phase 1 2x15 reps going from start through to the end.

Series 1 - Upright Row, Bent over Fly, Frog Sliders, Glute Bridge w/ Loop
Series 2 - Push-up, Skull Crushers, Weighed Ab Sit-up, Quad Ped Heel Press
Series 3 - Bent Over Row, Hammer Curl, Knee Tucks, Fire Hydrants

The cycling workout, Townsend, consisted simply of 90 minutes of aerobic Endurance spent between 60-70% FTP. An easy workout for an easy week.

Wednesday

The last Cardio Flow workout! Autumn decided instead of doing the standard progressive workout of adding moves, and then running through the set of 10 series 8 times, we would do as many full sets from the start in 30 min. The workout finished 10 of them and I was able to finish 11.5. Did them in about 2:45 each.

Then I kept the run relatively easy that afternoon. It ended up being an 8:31 min/mile with avg HR of 140 for 40 min.

Thursday

Leg Day from Phase 1 with a 3 x 10!

Series 1 - Reverse Lunges, Squats, Curtsy Lunges
Series 2 - Sumo Squats, Front Diagonal Lunges, Twisting Back Angle Lunge
Series 3 - Single-Leg Good Morning, Hip Hinge, Buddah Squat

The cycling workout was super easy. I switched it way down to try and keep the recovery week as a recovery week. Dans is 30 minutes of active recovery riding spent between 45-55% FTP.

Friday

Total Body Core from Phase 3 as a 2 x 15 reps!

While reading the Tokyo Marathon recap of another runner I follow from TX (Sten) he mentioned the shorts he wore for the event. They were Nike Gyakusou TechKnit Shorts. He described them as tight shorts with TONS of pockets. So I had to check them out!

https://www.nike.com/t/gyakusou-techknit-mens-shorts-D6zVv1

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 5.48.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 5.48.49 PM.png

I decided to order a pair and they're on their way. They might be a great marathon option since they have so many tight fitting pockets. Sten claimed he fit 6 gels in the pockets with room to spare.

Then another run day. I was on a crunched time frame because I bought tickets for Captain Marvel. The run was an 8:43 min/mile with an average HR of 140. But that doesn't tell the whole story. Did strides again. Last week the strides were around a 5:45-6:00 min/mile. This time, the strides were faster. Around a 5:00 min/mile for 3/6 of them. With a peak pace of a 4:32 min/mile. That is the 2nd fastest legit recorded pace I've ever achieved on a Garmin. The fastest was a 4:27 min/mile during a July 2017 R pace where I ran a 35 second 200m. So maybe this VO2max/sprint cycling + 80DO is paying off with some new found raw power. That remains to be seen, but a nice sign. My highest cadence got up to 238 spm.

Captain Marvel was great. Highly recommend!

Saturday

Mokelumne +1 is 60 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding mostly spent at 65% FTP including 2x20-second sprints.

Then, I rested for the remainder of the day hanging out with G before I did my evening run.

The run was easy as designed. It was a 9:52 min/mile average with a HR of 126. The GAP was fairly even and the goal was to just take it nice and easy.

Sunday

Capping off the recovery week with a nice easy 120 min ride. Boarstone is 2 hours of steady, aerobic Endurance spent between 65-75% FTP.

Then, it was time to cap off 80DO with Day 80! Booty from Phase 2 using a 3 x 10 rep through all three workouts in a series before moving to the next set.

Series 1: Squat to Hinge, Curtsy Lunge w/ Leg Lift, Rotating Side Back Lunge
Series 2: Heel Press Up on Angle, Single-Leg Hamstring Curl, Bear Fire Hydrant
Series 3: KB Swings, Sumo Hinge, Reverse Lunge
Series 4: Single-Leg Bridge, Press Up and Overs, Camels

And then it was done. 13 weeks of strength work 6 days a week averaging about 5 hours of total work per week. So what are my thoughts. Did I come out of it with a ripped six-pack? Am I swollen like a body builder with a chiseled physique? No, not really. But when I started, the heaviest dumbbells we had were 10 pounds. Then we bought 12 pounds, 15 pounds, and 20 pounds over the course of the 13 weeks. I was doing lots of moves at the end of the 13 weeks using the 20 pound weights. So I was clearly able to handle more weight, thus being stronger. Here's a big one. Yesterday, during a side plank move I decided, hey remember that side plank leg lift from McMillan core from Spring 2018? Remember how you couldn't even lift your leg off the ground? Can you do it now? Yea, I did it. I did it 10 times without even breaking a sweat. That's huge. I literally couldn't lift my leg up in a Side Plank. And now, I can handle the move. I've come a long way on the strength background. And possibly it'll help the running. Time to start over from the beginning and buy some new dumbbells.

I've also completed 4 weeks of the return to running. And no issues yet. I've got another 4 weeks of recovery running to go before I try a mile test and then get into some real run training. Only 12 weeks to go until the Hot2Trot HM.

Too bad they don’t have a women’s version.

I think you’ll be reaping big rewards from these workouts, very excited to see your mile test. Look at Steph Curry after he strengthened his ankles - unstoppable!

Too bad they don’t have a women’s version.

Here you go!

https://www.nike.com/t/gyakusou-tec...2OotiAJTRY9Ya_7d8xwaAhS-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.notre-shop.com/products...gY7HrYDrHxTGGLzTqTOhTU-JSHvyUuY0aAqSfEALw_wcB

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nik...69i57j69i60.1822j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I think you’ll be reaping big rewards from these workouts, very excited to see your mile test. Look at Steph Curry after he strengthened his ankles - unstoppable!

8-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter