To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

How much to taper for a "B" race and to disrupt the training as little as possible?

The BratFest 5k is coming up on Saturday morning. I just had a peak week of training.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.07.37 AM.png

The BratFest 5k represents a "B" race with the Hot2Trot HM in 27 days being the "A" race. So I don't want to sacrifice a ton of training for the "B" race, but I also still want it to go well. Based on past history, the best way to attack a "B" race and lose the least off training, is to taper, and then have a massive training week the very next week to get the load back into "optimal". Since the timeframe is so short between these, this should help keep me from getting stale in the time between, but still allowing enough recovery/taper for the HM "A" race.

So my question to myself was, how much do I taper for the 5k and have I seen a relationship between "freshness" and performance? Originally, I was planning on having my "freshness" be a mere +5.5. A value of +5 to +25 is considered "fresh". So a +5 would be barely in the freshness zone.

So I pulled together all of the good data from the last several years combining Garmin VO2max at time of race, Race VDOT (for performance metric), the delta between the two, "freshness", and Temp+Dew. I chose Garmin VO2max because the data lines up well with trends in my HRvPace relationship. So a good measure of my current fitness relative to myself, not so much the actual value meaning much of anything for a predictive measure (necessarily speaking). The VDOT value is a good performance metric since it's a measured/calculated system. The difference between the two helps me determine how close a performance was to my HRvPace current fitness. Then freshness and Temp+Dew looking for a relationship.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.19.17 AM.png

The Dopey 2018 races were cold, so I just doubled the wind chill to get the T+D (not a perfect system, but good enough). The data is available for T+D for those races, but missing the wind factor I think kind of changes things for how cold those races really were relatively speaking.

So Garmin VO2max hit a peak of 58 for Bunny Head #1 and Dopey 2018. Otherwise, I mainly hang out around 55-56 when races come up. I'm at 56 right now, but remember weight is a component and almost every one of these races were between 157-165 pounds. From a Race VDOT standpoint, my 10k of 39:54 stands head and shoulders above the rest at 52.1. Only two other races were +50, the Bunny Head 5k and Dopey HM in 2018. My best performances from a Delta standpoint were the Dopey 10k and Lakefront Marathon 2017 which was a bit surprising to me since I felt that race really fell flat at the time. And then freshness and T+D.

The following graph represents the relationship between my "freshness" and the delta:

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.39.28 AM.png

The first thing that stood out to me, is that there doesn't seem to be any associated trend. The dot way in the upper-right is the Chicago marathon. So well rested, but poor conversion. Not super surprising because the ankle injury robbed me of some vital long distance training. The other red dot above the blue line is the Dopey 5k with side stitches. So the two non-PR performances above +12 are explainable. I decided to check which races were PRs and marked those in yellow. A little bit of trend that the PR level performances all came with +10 freshness whereas the others did not. But from a relative standpoint of delta, there isn't much difference between PRs and non-PRs.

The following graph represents the relationship between my Temp+Dew and the delta:

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.42.48 AM.png

More of a relationship seen in this one. It's interesting because the Garmin VO2max is somewhat reflective of current temp conditions in training. So to see an additional bump in performance based on reviewing temps is interesting. The PRs all seem to come when the temp is lower (not surprising), but they don't always represent the best conversions. There could be an argument made that the dot at around 50 and 8 isn't a good judge (Dopey 5K) because that race went poorly because of a side stitch and not really because of performance per se. The other dot at 80 and 10 is the Dopey Marathon which was only ~2 min off PR.

So the conclusion, I'd say it's somewhat cloudy. The temp definitely plays a role (not surprising). And the freshness does seem to matter some, but maybe not a huge factor? But it also looks like the best PR level performances came when the Freshness was higher than around +12. So I think I'll change up my training this week to go from a +5 to around a +17 and see what happens. The weather is currently predicted at a T+D of 126, but complete cloud cover. So anything better than a delta of 8 would be a delta PR under those conditions. If my Garmin VO2max remains a 56, then a 48 VDOT is a 20:40 5k (6:39 min/mile).

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.51.15 AM.png

Just had to laugh... literally every other day in the 10 day forecast has a colder morning. Just ohhhh so close to a cold morning 5k. I'll take nearly 100% cloud cover.

View attachment 402161
Never know, race day weather still had time to improve! You set your 5K PR and Mile PR during time trials. I think if you get a 5k that breaks your way, you could hold that low 6 min pace!

Never know, race day weather still had time to improve! You set your 5K PR and Mile PR during time trials. I think if you get a 5k that breaks your way, you could hold that low 6 min pace!

All very true statements. And additionally, outside of the Dopey 5k in 2018, I have never come into a 5k more well rested than I will this one. I'm ready to run fast, hold it for as long as possible, and suffer. And be ready to remove the blind at the finish line.

Final guesses for BratFest 5k!

Reminder on info: link

I could see this race going a lot of ways. After last night's 3 x 2 min at I being an average pace of 5:52 min/mile (my best ever and in 14-30 mph winds with a T+D of 134), I'm feeling fairly confident. I did have my coach out there, so that helped motivate me to perform. If that 5:52 I is real, then that's a 18:52 min 5k (hey lookie there @canglim52), but that remains to be seen. I'm seeing something around 19:15-20:15. I'm hoping my right glute stops giving me so many issues. It hasn't bothered the run (clearly with a 5:52), but it still feels sore.

Since I was too fast by 34 seconds on the one mile time trial, then I need to be 34 seconds too slow on my prediction. So, I'm going to go with a 20:14 as my guess (which zeroes me out at a 19:40 as my true actual race prediction time).

18:03 - @SarahDisney
18:52 - @canglim52
19:42 - @TeeterTots
19:47 - @FFigawi
19:57 - @MissLiss279
20:05 - Gigi
20:12 - @michigandergirl
20:14 - Me
20:19 - @roxymama
20:20 - @bovie
20:30 - @Chaitali
20:32 - @flav
20:36 - @DisMatt0483
20:42 - @QueenFernando
20:47 - @steph0808
20:48 - @surfde22
20:55 - @lhermiston
20:58 - @JAMIESMITH
21:00 - @Jules76126
21:02 - @mrsg00fy
21:03 - @SheHulk
21:16 - @KSellers88
22:05 - Steph (wife)

Decided not to play this round:

@cburnett11
@PkbaughAR
@ZellyB

Best of luck everyone!

Bratfest 5k Recap

I was excited to get back to racing. It had been 230 days or 33 weeks since the Chicago Marathon. I had only restarted running 14 weeks ago, and doing something other than easy pacing for the last 6 weeks. So I was interested to see where I was at in advance of the Hot2Trot HM in mid-June. Since last Saturday's HM Tempo run, my right glute has been a little tender. Never seemingly getting back to 100% and simple movements like putting on my shoes would aggravate it. Between the temps, the glute, and my analysis of "freshness", I decided to pull back the training in advance of the BratFest 5k to maximize my chances. So let's see how it went!

The night before was filled with thunderstorms and the threat of 1.5 inches of rain. So I was concerned about the conditions of the course. I got up at 5:00am, took a shower, ate my PB Bagel + Honey and banana, drank 17oz Tailwind (at 1.5x strength), and then got dressed to head out the door. Check the weather and saw it was going to be around a T+D of 130 with a questionable cloud vs sun profile. We left at 6:15am and arrived just after 6:40am. I headed to the packet pickup and was ready to roll. Hit up the bathroom at 7am, chewed 200mg caffeine of RunGum, and then around 7:15am started my warm-up. The glute was tight. But I headed out for 25-30 min of very easy running. Primarily to WU, but also to check out the condition of the course. Found out there were two heavily waterlogged areas of the course. Tried passing in the grass and found it was just as bad as the bike path. So knew on the first area it was going to require just running right through it. The second was right before a small bridge and was unavoidable. Happy with the strategy, but obviously would have been nice to have a clean course. Made my way back to the start and ended the WU at around 7:40am. Had 8 oz of Tailwind at 1.5x strength at about 8:00am (5 min prior to start). The 10k runners headed off, and then the 5k crew lined up.

I immediately noticed two other runners which I pegged as probably competition. A runner in grey and another in a WI bball jersey. Second with about a minute before the race started, I noticed the guy next to me and it was Brandon. We've raced a few times over the years, primarily at Hot2Trot. So it was nice to see a familiar face. He's good competition as we're usually fairly close fitness wise. So I thought it would be a good barometer. He wasn't sure how he was going to do because he was just coming back as well. And before I knew it, we were off.

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 70°F + 65°F; FL - 71°F
End: Temp+Dew = 70°F + 66°F; FL - 71°F

As typical, I ran blind to my splits.

Unofficial PR to beat - 19:27
Official PR to beat - 20:06
Best time on this course - 20:30 (2017)

Mile 1 - 6:11

As soon as the gun went off, I felt like I was shot out of a cannon. It felt smooth and comfortable. I was in the lead very early and everything was feeling fine. As I'd felt last Wednesday, running fast seemed to bother my glute less than running easy/slow. No issues. Focus on breathing. Eyes up. Relaxed. I quickly hit the backend of the 10k runners. I was following the bike as close as I could. It was a blast running in the lead. Enjoyable weaving through the crowds as calmly and evenly as I could. I could feel Brandon a few steps behind me, but I had to keep my eyes forward because of all the other runners ahead. Made it to the first waterlogged area of the course and everyone else was going in the grass single file. But not me, I just ran right through it. Felt like a Steeple Chase without the hurdle.

Mile 2 - 7:03

Definitely could tell I was slowing down. The effort was getting harder. It wasn't really my legs or my breathing. It was just a different feeling of being "off". I could tell the pace was slipping because the people I was passing were getting closer to my pace. I was pushing and still leading. It wasn't until right before the 1/2 way mark that WI jersey and grey passed me. They were moving quick and it was going to be tough for me to hold that pace. I didn't even try to cover there move. Then not too long after right at the 1/2 way mark Brandon passed me. He felt more obtainable to attach myself to. So I tried to keep him only a few strides ahead of me.

Mile 3 - 7:04

I was sticking with Brandon well. Still wasn't having issues with legs or breathing, just off. I could feel a 5th person right behind me. I knew I was doing well, but if I could get to 3rd (ahead of Brandon) I'd get a free entry into any race/distance or concert event. 4th through 10th was a free 5k/10k. So I had that motivation to stay tight to him. Just about 0.75 miles from the end I was able to pass Brandon. Could feel that 5th person behind me, but couldn't be sure how close. Then on the back stretch he finally made his move and I had nothing to cover it. Ran strong to the end as best I could.

Final time - 20:39
Overall Placement - 4/258 (1.6%) *PR
Gender Placement - 4/105 (3.8%) *PR
Age Group - 1/10 (Win)

Shook hands with the other runners. Caught up with Brandon and confirmed we will both be at Hot2Trot. Then headed right to the car because I still had 1.5 hours of biking ahead of me. I felt pretty terrible in the car. As soon as I get home and ate some pretzels I felt normal again. Maybe a salt thing again. Don't really know for sure. Legs and breathing felt fine and had more to give. Just didn't quite feel right.

Funny enough, I pretty much nailed this time prediction.

So anything better than a delta of 8 would be a delta PR under those conditions. If my Garmin VO2max remains a 56, then a 48 VDOT is a 20:40 5k (6:39 min/mile).

Well I got a 20:39, so right on target. Only 9 seconds off from 2017 when it was a T+D of 110, so not half bad all things considered. I'm happy with the overall results. Not what I was hoping for, but a good step in the right direction.

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 4.52.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 4.52.29 PM.png

Prediction Game Update:

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 5.52.14 PM.png

@Jules76126 and @mrsg00fy are now tied for the lead at being only 2 seconds off predicted time. Next up is the Hot2Trot HM!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter