To tag our bags or not?

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
We always use Magical Express, tag our bags, and receive our luggage in a timely fashion except for one trip when we didn’t get our luggage until 1:00am when our flight landed at 6:00pm. For our upcoming trip, our flight lands at 7:30pm. I’m thinking of pulling our luggage from baggage claim and taking them on the ME ourselves so we aren’t waiting for our luggage to arrive in our room since our room will be ready. My only concern is we are staying at POR and I’m worried our room will be a long trek from checkin and we’ll have to tote our luggage around. Thoughts?

Toss a coin. Luggage should arrive 3 to 4 hours after you check in. It can be delayed by the airline or by DME. If your previous experience of it taking too long was a DME problem then sure get your own this time. If it was delayed by the airline aren't you glad you weren't waiting at the airport for bags that were temporarily misdirected.

I love having our bags delivered and not going to baggage claim in Orlando. I'd probably tag them. We have two kids who could take a carry on size bag for awhile, but I'm not sure I'd want them trying to get one to a far away room at POR.

That said, of all the trips I've taken, the fastest I ever got my bags at baggage claim was at Orlando around 10pm in November. If you have enough hands to get all your bags to your room, hopefully they'll come off the carousel as fast as ours did.

If you are worried about another late bag arrival, pack what you need for that night and next day in a carry on, always a good idea when traveling anywhere anyway. If it gets late and the bags have not arrived yet call bell services and ask them to hold your bags until the morning. In the morning call back and ask for them to be delivered to your room

We'd rather not risk being woken up, so we always get our bags off the carousel at the airport. If I'm not mistaken, you can have bell services help you get your bags to your room after you take them off the DME bus.

If you are worried about another late bag arrival, pack what you need for that night and next day in a carry on, always a good idea when traveling anywhere anyway. If it gets late and the bags have not arrived yet call bell services and ask them to hold your bags until the morning. In the morning call back and ask for them to be delivered to your room
This x100!

We'd rather not risk being woken up, so we always get our bags off the carousel at the airport. If I'm not mistaken, you can have bell services help you get your bags to your room after you take them off the DME bus.

After you call Bell Services asking them to hold the bags put the Do No Disturb sign, or whatever they are calling it now, on your door. They then won't bother you :)

We always use Magical Express, tag our bags, and receive our luggage in a timely fashion except for one trip
Without knowing how many trips 'always' encompasses, it appears odds are high that your bags won't take until 1AM to be delivered.
f you are worried about another late bag arrival, pack what you need for that night and next day in a carry on, always a good idea when traveling anywhere anyway
a
Yup. Even if you arrive early, always always always carry once what you need for the first 24 hours.

After you call Bell Services asking them to hold the bags put the Do No Disturb sign, or whatever they are calling it now, on your door. They then won't bother you :)
I know we could do it this way. The thing is, then we would have to be waiting for our luggage in the morning so we could get ready. We like to get going in the morning to try to get to rope drop. It's just a lot easier if we already have all our things.

I’m thinking of pulling our luggage from baggage claim and taking them on the ME ourselves so we aren’t waiting for our luggage to arrive in our room since our room will be ready. My only concern is we are staying at POR and I’m worried our room will be a long trek from checkin and we’ll have to tote our luggage around. Thoughts?
I think you should pick up your luggage and take them on ME. Even the longest trek across POR is preferable to waiting until 1AM for luggage to arrive. And it's kind of nice to unpack and settle in the night you arrive rather than the next day.

Last edited:
I know we could do it this way. The thing is, then we would have to be waiting for our luggage in the morning so we could get ready. We like to get going in the morning to try to get to rope drop. It's just a lot easier if we already have all our things.
Not if you pack whatever you need for the first 24 hours in your carry on luggage :)

We have used ME about 4 times and had bag issues twice. A few years back DWs bag didn't make the flight home. No biggie. We were home and the bag was on our porch the next day. Last August our flight got in at 930pm. We waited up until midnight but no bags. Called the next morning and they sent up a CM to pick up our bags. We had a good laugh and he came back with them a short while later.

These are only small issues and we will continue to use bag tags. I would not want to be dragging my bags around any resort. Next time we arrive late I will probably contact bell services and tell them I will wait up for the bags to get them before we go to sleep.

I've stayed as far back as is humanly possible at POR...yes, it's a hike. But, if you have wheeled bags, it's not an issue. I've had to carry a huge duffle bag from the back to RAC..huge pain, but I did it. If you prefer to have Luggage Assistance help you, you can have them put the bags on a cart and deliver the bags to your room. That way you don't have to lug them.
If I arrive later than 6pm, I've started to just get my own bags. I want my bags with me so I can get settled in for the night. If I arrive earlier in the day, there's always a good chance my room won't be ready, so I don't mind not having my bags.

If you call when you first get up they should get them pretty quickly too you. Or when you call to have them held let them know what time you would like them delivered in the AM

Not if you pack whatever you need for the first 24 hours in your carry on luggage :)

And by doing that you won't have to stick around as you do not have to be in your room for delivery.

Last August our flight got in at 930pm. We waited up until midnight but no bags.

Your bags are supposed to arrive 3-4 hours after you arrive at your hotel. If your flight arrived at 930, you probably got to your hotel about 11, which means your bags should've arrived between 2 and 3. If you'd gotten them by midnight, that would've been way outside the norm.

With an arrival after 4 or so we get our bags ourselves. It doesn’t take long at all and it is so much easier to have them there in the evening without having to get a late delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter