to use a TA or not to use a TA?

I tried an AAA TA one trip. There was a HUGE discount deal released that we knew about two days before. I spent two days trying to contact the TA to make sure she would check for the deal. She didn't respond until the day after it was released...and all the availability for our resort was already gone. I was livid. It was also pretty sad that I knew more about traveling to WDW than she did. The AAA preferred parking pass wasn't worth it!
My experience was AAA too.....
AAA is notoriously bad for booking Disney. Once they have your $$ they could care less about you and helping you with changes, adding discounts, etc. One big issue is that they don't specialize in Disney, so their agents aren't knowledgeable as far as Disney goes.

I used one the first year that I went. Although she was very knowledgeable and got me everything I wanted I didn't like the fact that I had to go though her every time I wanted to change an ADR.
This should never be the case, if your agent actually told you that you had to go through her to change your ADR's she was just trying to hold more control over you than she should have. Clients always have as much control over ADR's and FP's as they want; even if your TA originally books them, you always have the ability to go in and change them. Or tell your TA you want something changed, whichever way you want.

Oh, I hadn't really thought of it this way, but I like the idea of supporting a small business for sure!
Yes! This is a wonderful way to look at using a TA. You don't pay anything extra at all when using a TA, but instead of all your $$ going to Disney a small (small lol) amount of it is going to small business :goodvibes

Just a note for others reading this thread with any TA, you can have complete control over your ADR, FP+ and almost any other thing you can think up. The only thing you can't do is to directly access is your package or room only reservation which is a Disney restriction to add / change rooms requests or other reservation specific items directly related to your package or room only.

There are many great Disney specific TAs that will allow you to do as much or as little as you want in the planning stage and even once you get to the resort and parks a good TA can help should any issues pop up.

Dave
Very well said :thumbsup2

Also, unless I’ve completely lost the ability to do math, the tickets I booked through the TA that offers agency exclusives are a bit cheaper than even the ticket discounters are offering right now.

Also, unless I’ve completely lost the ability to do math, the tickets I booked through the TA that offers agency exclusives are a bit cheaper than even the ticket discounters are offering right now.

The agency exclusive ticket prices are one of the "reasons" (like I really need a reason) we extended our trip by two days. We have 7 nights on rented points at BWV. I added two nights at POFQ with my park tickets with the agency exclusive. It's a great deal!

I used to do it myself but recently booked my 3rd trip with TA. Partly because the rate they offered was better than anyplace else and it’s just one less thing. I do my own fp and dining. She does room, tickets, sets up DME. I don’t see a reason not to use a TA

For the TA that does agency exclusives it's a one night deposit. And room only is due 30 days before check in.
If you are doing room only and not a package- no tickets/dining- your deposit is the equivalent of one nights rate whether you book with an agent or direct through Disney.

I used a TA for our first two trips, but booked myself after that. I woudl always suggest a good TA if you are not used to Disney, lookign for discounts, booking meals that you really want, etc, however if you are comfortable that you can keep on top of the reservation and related discounts, you will be fine on your own.

WE have a really awesome Disney TA in our town, and while I have not needed her services, I send a lot of folks to her. She was up all night when the discounts dropped, just like I was, and she secured discounts for her clients. HEr trip was the next day, and the poor thing started out after an all nighter!!! She had already been resigned to the fact that she might be doing that during her own trip, but was going to in the event the discounts were released at a later date.

If you are doing room only and not a package- no tickets/dining- your deposit is the equivalent of one nights rate whether you book with an agent or direct through Disney.

Yup. Very true. The difference with the agency exclusive TA is that Even with a package a one night deposit is required. I did a package and room only (split stay) and had to pay one nights deposit on both and both were due 30 days before.

I considered using one for my trip this month. It was my first time booking a package and some extras such as a dessert party and/or ADRs. I found the whole process really easy. I called rather than book online and it was very simple.

I would only use a TA that books exclusively Disney. Although I’m capable of booking myself, I find using a TA to book very helpful. Esp since I’m on another time zone and when I worked (just retired) I didn’t have time to sit on hold 1-2 hrs when discounts are released. They know when discounts are released and are on the phone when lines are opened. If I need anything I just email and she gets back to me usually within an hour.
Making payments on my room is super easy. I just dash off a quick email requesting her to make a payment.
I book my own ADRs and FP+ so I don’t feel deprived of planning, lol!

I would not use one - u are giving a stranger control over ur reservation and giving them personal info - good way to have a stolen identy or stolen cc/dc info

I would not use one - u are giving a stranger control over ur reservation and giving them personal info - good way to have a stolen identy or stolen cc/dc info
They are a business. I doubt it would be worth loosing their business license and business to steal identities and CC#s. When you book with Disney, airlines, hotels, etc. you have to give personal info and CC#. How is that any different?

They are plus you get 1 water park admission. Unfortunately for me they don’t have tickets over 7 or 8 days. I can’t remember. My trips are usually 14 days. I have an AP. But if I didn’t I’d need at least a 10 day ticket. I guess they don’t carry longer days because the majority of bookings are prob 7 days.

This is all good info! I plan to use a TA when I book tomorrow, just because I am not 100% sure I will be able to keep up with discounts that come available. I plan to book all ADRs and FP+ myself, but would like to have someone there to help if needed. This is my first adult trip to Disney and my DH & DD's first trips ever!

The only TA we have ever used is called directly to The Disney Travel Company for booking our rooms and tickets. We have always done our own dinner reservations and tour reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter