Toddler naps on park days/mid day breaks?

♥ Mandi ♥

Mouseketeer
Hi guys! We are heading down in November for 3 weeks.
My oldest will be 5 and my little one will have just turned 2.
Being such a long trip, we have planned to just spend a few hours in the park in the mornings (9a-12pm or so) and visit each park multiple times.

Ideally, I'd like my oldest to nap also so he can hang a little later, but the little one will absolutely still need his 90 minute nap.

Right now, he naps 12-1:30ish - we will just be leaving the parks around this time so I'm thinking we might push back to 1pm at the hotel if we can keep him awake.

Anyone with experience touring the parks with napping toddlers have any advice on if this is the best recourse?
I know he could just nap in his stroller at the parks but that would leave my 5 year old either having to stroller nap as well or go without a nap altogether.

I've ran some points through TouringPlans and it seems we'll still be able to get everything done with 4+ visits to each park at 3 or so hours each - has anyone gone this route before?
We are choosing not to return in the evenings so we can enjoy the hotel (The Beach Club) and it's events and amenities, the Boardwalk area and Food and Wine festival during the later hours.

You know your kids best. That itinerary would not work for us...for a variety of reasons, mainly I wouldn't be happy with only a few hours in the parks.

My 20 month old stroller napped like a champ and I'm assuming she'll still stroller nap next year when she's almost 4 (although she's dropped her weekend naps, and only naps at daycare during the week). As for the 5 year old, personally I would pick my battle with that one. He may not WANT to nap the first couple of days. The upside to a trip that long is that you have the time to be flexible and figure out what works (and what doesn't)

We’ve travelled with our young grandson since he was 1. The first few years he napped in the stroller. (We always brought a battery operated fan even though we travel in the cooler months. Last trip he was 3 1/2 and all but one day we came back for a nap. The day we didn’t he napped in the stroller. Next trip he’ll be 4 1/2, and still takes a 1-2 hour nap each day. We typically make it back to the hotel about 1 for his nap.

If they are early risers it might behoove you to do the early entry park, especially if you’re leaving by noon. We usually head back to the MK in the evening or to another resort for dinner.

Good luck getting those kids out of the pool at SAB! On our recent trip to YC we held our breath every time parents tried to get their little ones out of the pool!

If you have nappers, definitely have them nap!

For me, if I was going with a 5 and 2 year old, I would set aside the touring plan and any mental or physical to-do list for the parks and just arrange our days around their schedules/needs and go from there.

Even when DH & I went to the parks pre-kids, we very rarely did a park from rope-drop to closing. We'd do one park in the morning and early afternoon, head back tot he room to rest up a bit, or cool off with a quick shower, then head out (often to a different park) in the early evening for dinner and stay until closing.

We like our trips to be laid back and relaxed. So with our kids, we try to keep everyone feeling non-cranky, and if more time devoted to resting/pool time is what it takes to accomplish that, then for us, that's more important than a park itinerary. We always found that ours slept more on vacation than at home, so even if we went back to the resort mid-day, if the kids were say under 3, they'd likely take a stroller nap, too. So you may find that happens as well. :)

Best of luck with whatever you decide!! Have a great trip.

We went last week wth our 2.5 and 6.5 year old grandsons. The 2.5 year old naps regularly from 1230-230-you can set your watch by it. The 6.5 year old hasn't napped in several years. We planned an 11 or 1130 lunch every day, and were out of the parks by 1230. Well, the 2.5 year old REFUSED to nap after the first day, but the 6.5 year old was out like a light for at least an hour! (we had separate rooms). On day four, planning to just stay in the parks, we found the 2.5 year old would go to sleep in his stroller after lunch, and we tried to transfer him from stroller to car seat to stroller/hotel room. It was somewhat successful that first day, but not the second! So on our LAST day, we just stayed in the parks while he napped in his stroller, but left the parks by 830 that evening. It will probably be trial and error for you as well! That being said, I do think it is helpful to leave the parks at midday for swim/rest break, even if your little one is too excited to nap! We are back home and he is back on his routine now, none the worse for it!

My little guy will be 2 in November. We go to WDW frequently. We always leave around 12:30 or 1 and head back to the resort for his nap. We are FL residents and DVC members so limited park time is okay. You will be absolutely fine going back to the hotel midday given how long you're going to be there. It's nice to relax, cool off, hit the pool, or nap too!!

Our little guy will NOT nap in the stroller, FYI.

Hi guys! We are heading down in November for 3 weeks.
My oldest will be 5 and my little one will have just turned 2.
Being such a long trip, we have planned to just spend a few hours in the park in the mornings (9a-12pm or so) and visit each park multiple times.

Ideally, I'd like my oldest to nap also so he can hang a little later, but the little one will absolutely still need his 90 minute nap.

Right now, he naps 12-1:30ish - we will just be leaving the parks around this time so I'm thinking we might push back to 1pm at the hotel if we can keep him awake.

Anyone with experience touring the parks with napping toddlers have any advice on if this is the best recourse?
I know he could just nap in his stroller at the parks but that would leave my 5 year old either having to stroller nap as well or go without a nap altogether.

I've ran some points through TouringPlans and it seems we'll still be able to get everything done with 4+ visits to each park at 3 or so hours each - has anyone gone this route before?
We are choosing not to return in the evenings so we can enjoy the hotel (The Beach Club) and it's events and amenities, the Boardwalk area and Food and Wine festival during the later hours.
main thing to remember with resort naps is the travel time from back of park all the way to your room not just the ride from park to resort. will either go back to sleep if they fall asleep any where on the trip to room? there is a bif difference in the time involve. even with leaving park at 12ish good chance it will be after 1 before you get into your room. we had our only major meltdown from a grandchild on the trip we tried to make it back to resort for 17 moth old to nap. fell asleep on the way there and woke up as we walked to room. he ended up screaming and I mean screamed for the 2 hours we tried to rest. I usually ask anyone with your type of question how would your kid/s do with a 20 minute car ride and then try to get into house for nap? that usually answers your question about resort breaks

Midday naps at the resort never worked for us. I have 2 boys ages 2 and 4, both who still nap around 12:30 every day. If they were tired, there's no way they'd make it back to the resort before falling asleep. That's a lot of time in a rolling stroller and moving vehicle to stay awake. We just did stroller naps.

We still return mid day for a break, it refreshes us. When we went in 2013 we napped-dh, me and our 3 kids (12, 9 and 7). My sister was with us and they didn’t nap and were tired but they didn’t have non park days.

We rope drop and I prefer to go to the early entry park. We eat breakfast in the room while getting ready. We have lunch in the park and then return to the resort to nap/rest. I wake everyone at around 3:30-4 to shower and then we head back til park closing.

I did that with my kids when they were young, the oldest was the youngest on a trip at 15 months. I can recall being in MK one evening and listening to crying kids because it was hot and they had a short stroller nap and moms/dads were irritable because they were hot and tired and dealing with crying kids. Not us, my 15 mo old (then 22 mo old and 2 1/2 yo) was as happy as a clam!

We just made sure to eat lunch early enough like 11-12 time frame to be back to the resort no later then 1.

You know your child best. Go with that and do what you feel is best for your child. It pains me to see parents try to push their kids beyond what they can handle. We first went with our kids and our youngest needed a nap but the older didn't. My wife and I took turns bringing the younger one back to the resort for a nap and the other stayed in the park or went to the pool with the other. It worked out great for us. My wife and I even caught a few Zs too.

We still return mid day for a break, it refreshes us. When we went in 2013 we napped-dh, me and our 3 kids (12, 9 and 7). My sister was with us and they didn’t nap and were tired but they didn’t have non park days.

We rope drop and I prefer to go to the early entry park. We eat breakfast in the room while getting ready. We have lunch in the park and then return to the resort to nap/rest. I wake everyone at around 3:30-4 to shower and then we head back til park closing.

I did that with my kids when they were young, the oldest was the youngest on a trip at 15 months. I can recall being in MK one evening and listening to crying kids because it was hot and they had a short stroller nap and moms/dads were irritable because they were hot and tired and dealing with crying kids. Not us, my 15 mo old (then 22 mo old and 2 1/2 yo) was as happy as a clam!

We just made sure to eat lunch early enough like 11-12 time frame to be back to the resort no later then 1.
we could have been one of the families with a screaming child but it was because of a failed resort nap not a stroller nap. rest of our trip had no more meltdowns when we gave up resort naps and used stroller naps

we could have been one of the families with a screaming child but it was because of a failed resort nap not a stroller nap. rest of our trip had no more meltdowns when we gave up resort naps and used stroller naps

That stinks. We made sure to be back before melt down/nap and wouldn’t let our kid fall asleep in the stroller, monorail or bus before we were in our room.

That stinks. We made sure to be back before melt down/nap and wouldn’t let our kid fall asleep in the stroller, monorail or bus before we were in our room.
he is the type of child that when he wants to sleep he goes to sleep no matter what you try to do. I have even seen him go to sleep walking into the house. that short time of sleep on the bus was it, major meltdown in the room feel for anyone trying to sleep near us that day. finally left6 room which stopped the screaming but did not improve his mood. finally fell back to sleep at dinner and slept thru dinner. Ps we were heading back well before normal nap time. wish ours was like yours

We have a 9yo and 5yo and have been at WDW several times with them starting with ~12 months old for both of them. Our strategy has been to cram our three FP in before lunch (so 9, 10 and 11) and then quick service lunch in the park or back at the resort. An hour to 2 hour break at the resort with a quick swim if that makes sense and then try to be back at the bus stop between 3:30-4:30 to be back in the park for quick service dinner and rides. Keeping lots of snacks and refillable water bottles on hand is key. Giving them snacks and water at the first whine is key to keeping the kids (and parents) from melting down. Keep everyone's blood sugar and hydration up keeps a lot of the stress at bay :)

You know your kids best. That itinerary would not work for us...for a variety of reasons, mainly I wouldn't be happy with only a few hours in the parks.

My 20 month old stroller napped like a champ and I'm assuming she'll still stroller nap next year when she's almost 4 (although she's dropped her weekend naps, and only naps at daycare during the week). As for the 5 year old, personally I would pick my battle with that one. He may not WANT to nap the first couple of days. The upside to a trip that long is that you have the time to be flexible and figure out what works (and what doesn't)
Thinking out next trip might be when DS is about 20/21 mos. DS has been at 7 mos, 14 mo & 17 mos. So far he is a stroller napper although he fought naps completely this last trip. I had to harness him in the stroller b/c was falling asleep sitting up, but when I would lay the stroller down, he would pop straight up & wake up. Any tips on taking 20/21 mos thst might be different from the above ages I mentioned? Recent challenges have been DS wants out the stroller more, but it’s too crowded & he just wants to wander off. He’s still very impatient in lines. We can avoid most with FP, but there is still security etc. And he doesn’t do well at sit down meals. He does fine with those at home, but I guess there is too much stimulation. Lastly, he doesn’t seem to really be that into rides so sometimes I find myself wondering what’s the point of this. All past trips were with family so we were going anyway. But, we had wanted to go again just the 3 of us where we can focus the trip more on him. I know every kid is different, but what was your experience with a 20 mon old?

Resort naps never worked with either kid. They couldn’t make it through the ride back to the hotel without falling asleep and then they were UP once we got back to the room.

Thinking out next trip might be when DS is about 20/21 mos. DS has been at 7 mos, 14 mo & 17 mos. So far he is a stroller napper although he fought naps completely this last trip. I had to harness him in the stroller b/c was falling asleep sitting up, but when I would lay the stroller down, he would pop straight up & wake up. Any tips on taking 20/21 mos thst might be different from the above ages I mentioned? Recent challenges have been DS wants out the stroller more, but it’s too crowded & he just wants to wander off. He’s still very impatient in lines. We can avoid most with FP, but there is still security etc. And he doesn’t do well at sit down meals. He does fine with those at home, but I guess there is too much stimulation. Lastly, he doesn’t seem to really be that into rides so sometimes I find myself wondering what’s the point of this. All past trips were with family so we were going anyway. But, we had wanted to go again just the 3 of us where we can focus the trip more on him. I know every kid is different, but what was your experience with a 20 mon old?

My personal feeling is that right about now your DS is not great "park material" if that's a good term to use? :) I might skip a trip at this point and wait until closer to age 4. Everything you mentioned, especially his patience level, should start to improve.

My personal feeling is that right about now your DS is not great "park material" if that's a good term to use? :) I might skip a trip at this point and wait until closer to age 4. Everything you mentioned, especially his patience level, should start to improve.
I figured that & was leaning toward waiting although definitely not til 4. But, I was interested in seeing someone’s experience who had been at the exact age I am considering although I know that might not be the same experience for me.

I figured that & was leaning toward waiting although definitely not til 4. But, I was interested in seeing someone’s experience who had been at the exact age I am considering although I know that might not be the same experience for me.

We went when my daughter was 23 months old and if she was tired and refused the stroller I would wear her in a carrier and she'd fall asleep. Then we'd do a show because she was horrible with any of the shows if awake. The baby carrier also helped with waiting in lines. We tried one line without one and she kept trying to run off then scream when we stopped her.

That said we went because we had a older child who was four and we were planning on having another baby and I didn't want to go while pregnant or with a tiny baby. I wouldn't pick almost two as an ideal age. However we're going back with my youngest being just over two so it wasn't a horrible experience. I'd probably do almost three if I were you just because I am cheap and would want to do that rather than a three year old who needs a ticket and their own meal.

We visited 3 times in the past 12 months with that exact age group. Like everyone said, you know your kid. Our 5 year is over napping so she can make it a bit longer, but even she is done by 2 o'clock or so. On almost 3 year still requires a lengthy daily nap, so we usually plan on leaving by noon-1pm to get him down. So for us it's nearly impossible to have a full park day. However they wake up early so it's easy for us to get a jump start on the day.

The stars have aligned a few times and they have both fallen asleep in the stroller at the same time and if that does happen we will stay and push through. 95% of the time though its back to the room for naps/rest and then we can pick up our evening activities later (which most of the time is pool time around the resort, but sometimes we do go back to the parks). And when we visit in the hotter months we are actually happy to get out of the heat and away from the crowds anyway.

My advice is plan your day around leaving to nap and then if you get lucky and they sleep in the stoller, adjust from there. You can have a touring plan just make sure its an early morning one. You're on site so use those EMH. You dont have to worry about the park being more crowded that day as you'll be leaving around the times the crowds build anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter