Toddler Sleeping Arrangements in 1 Bedroom Villa

DizMomAndWife

Mouseketeer
We've got an upcoming reservation at BLT in a 1 bedroom villa. Our original plan was to put toddler rails on the pull out couch for our 3 year old, and put the 1 year old in the pack-and-play, also in the living room. After traveling for Thanksgiving, I'm not sure that's still a smart option. Our 3 year old doesn't sleep well in a room by herself when we're traveling, apparently.

Our new, tentative, plan is to keep the 1 year old in the living room, and try to move the pullout chair from the living room to the bedroom, for the 3 year old.

Has anyone done this? Is it even possible? Any other suggestions? She's too big to sleep in a pack and play.

TIA!

We had this idea on our first trip (with kids roughly the same ages) and folks on these boards said it wouldn't work and when we got there and saw the chair we could see for sure they were right. Chair is not quite the best word for it - the thing is super duper heavy, and I wouldn't plan on moving it. It's very wide too. I don't even think it will fit through a doorway.

If you need to keep the toddler in your bedroom, then I think they'll either need to be in bed with you or you'll need a sleeping bag or something. Might be able to move some sofa cushions in and make a little spot on the floor? Or a toddler air mattress kinda thing? Not sure about your kid, but mine wasn't very picky about what she slept on.

If the issue is keeping the toddler away from the 1 year old - the pack n plays will fit in various places in the rooms depending on which side of BLT you're on. We've fit one in the living area bathroom and in the laundry room for a nice quiet dark zone for naps and night sleep.

I would also note - your kiddo will be exhausted with Disney, and they might be more willing to sleep when totally exhausted :) (My 3 year old was a pretty notorious sleep resister, but at Disney it was sweet dreams the whole trip!).

(We were in a 2BR on that trip, and we ended up taking the two queen side of the villa just so she had her own bed and we had our own bed - we let my brother and SIL have the king side with the jet tub that I wanted soooo badly... :)

Good luck!

I'm thinking couch cushions may be our best bet! The one year old is no issue, she'll sleep anywhere. But our 3 year old panicked when we tried to get her to sleep in a different room while we traveled for Thanksgiving. I wish we had a room with 2 beds, then we wouldn't have an issue! Thank you for your reply!

Google "readybed" or travel bed for toddlers. My youngest had a Thomas one, had small blow up mattress and sleeping bag. This was the best item I bought for travel. Took to Disney, Grandmas, and camping. Fit in checked or carry on luggage easily.

I'm thinking couch cushions may be our best bet! The one year old is no issue, she'll sleep anywhere. But our 3 year old panicked when we tried to get her to sleep in a different room while we traveled for Thanksgiving. I wish we had a room with 2 beds, then we wouldn't have an issue! Thank you for your reply!

Will your 3yo sleep in the same room as the 1yo? IE if you call it a "sisters" or "brothers" sleepover? Do they sleep together at home. And over thanksgiving did you go to bed at the same time as your kids? The reason I ask is because if you get an inflatable toddler bed (we used the Shrunks toddler bed, which comes with its own pump), you could either have them both sleep in the LR (which is what we plan to do with our 6 and 2yo, with the 6yo in the chair and 2yo in the pack and play), or put the inflatable bed AND pack and play in the MBR and all use the MBR as the sleeping room. We did this when we were last at BLT in a 2BR, we had the king bed/MBR side and we were just able to fit the inflatable bed AND the pack and play in the space between the bed and the sliding door. We had 4 adults and a baby in the other BR. That way we were able to keep the LR as the full adult hang out spot in the evenings, which was also nice.

Another alternative is if you put the 3yo in the king bed with you and the pack and play in the bedroom. I am wondering if her unwillingness to sleep alone over Thanksgiving was jealousy-related if the baby was in the room with you.

one question has the 3 year old traveled and sleep in a different room from you recently? if so was it close enough that she remembers it? my kids at 3 would panic the first night that we would leave without them as we usually put them in car asleep and they would wake up traveling. that night they would worry we would leave without them if they were in different room

The couch cushions are likely your easiest solution. I put my DS14 on the couch cushions at Saratoga Springs for a few nights as we shuffled some sleeping arrangements. I had brought an air mattress but there were more than enough cushions for him to have a comfy bed. I just asked for bedding from Mousekeeping and made up a bed with sheets and blankets for him.

Will your 3yo sleep in the same room as the 1yo? IE if you call it a "sisters" or "brothers" sleepover? Do they sleep together at home. And over thanksgiving did you go to bed at the same time as your kids? The reason I ask is because if you get an inflatable toddler bed (we used the Shrunks toddler bed, which comes with its own pump), you could either have them both sleep in the LR (which is what we plan to do with our 6 and 2yo, with the 6yo in the chair and 2yo in the pack and play), or put the inflatable bed AND pack and play in the MBR and all use the MBR as the sleeping room. We did this when we were last at BLT in a 2BR, we had the king bed/MBR side and we were just able to fit the inflatable bed AND the pack and play in the space between the bed and the sliding door. We had 4 adults and a baby in the other BR. That way we were able to keep the LR as the full adult hang out spot in the evenings, which was also nice.

Another alternative is if you put the 3yo in the king bed with you and the pack and play in the bedroom. I am wondering if her unwillingness to sleep alone over Thanksgiving was jealousy-related if the baby was in the room with you.

She would sleep in the same room as sister, that's no problem, she panicked when she wasn't in the same room as us. Original plan was both girls in the LR, like you have planned for your upcoming trip. But after her experience over thanksgiving, we want a back up plan. We were able to borrow a toddler cot from a friend that we're gong to put in our room, leave the 1 yo in the LR. Thank you!

one question has the 3 year old traveled and sleep in a different room from you recently? if so was it close enough that she remembers it? my kids at 3 would panic the first night that we would leave without them as we usually put them in car asleep and they would wake up traveling. that night they would worry we would leave without them if they were in different room
We traveled over thanksgiving and tried to get her to sleep in a separate room and she panicked. I'm hoping we only have issues the first night, if at all. I figure by night 3 she'll be so exhausted she'll sleep anywhere!

The couch cushions are likely your easiest solution. I put my DS14 on the couch cushions at Saratoga Springs for a few nights as we shuffled some sleeping arrangements. I had brought an air mattress but there were more than enough cushions for him to have a comfy bed. I just asked for bedding from Mousekeeping and made up a bed with sheets and blankets for him.
We were able to borrow a toddler cot, but I hadn't thought about asking mousekeeping for bedding. Thank you!

I used sofa cushions often for DD. Getting a larger sheet allows you to wrap it tight so it stays together.

She would sleep in the same room as sister, that's no problem, she panicked when she wasn't in the same room as us. Original plan was both girls in the LR, like you have planned for your upcoming trip. But after her experience over thanksgiving, we want a back up plan. We were able to borrow a toddler cot from a friend that we're gong to put in our room, leave the 1 yo in the LR. Thank you!

.... Thank you!

Good luck! but does that mean that once the girls go to bed, you won't have a room that the adults can hang out in?? :( So sad when you have a 1BR...

We've been staying @ BLT for years. We usually just all sleep in the king size bed. Kids in middle, grown ups on the outside.
Can you have the 3 yo in the bed with you and PnP next to the bed?
Also the bathroom is def big enough for the PnP. We've done it a lot of times. We would sneak past if we had to, but there's always the 2nd BR if you've got a light sleeper.

Good luck! but does that mean that once the girls go to bed, you won't have a room that the adults can hang out in?? :( So sad when you have a 1BR...
I know! :sad: That was the whole reason we got a 1BR! Maybe by night two she'll be so tired she'll sleep anywhere. Fingers crossed.

We've been staying @ BLT for years. We usually just all sleep in the king size bed. Kids in middle, grown ups on the outside.
Can you have the 3 yo in the bed with you and PnP next to the bed?
Also the bathroom is def big enough for the PnP. We've done it a lot of times. We would sneak past if we had to, but there's always the 2nd BR if you've got a light sleeper.
You are a better parent than me! :laughing: We are trying to do everything possible to keep her out of our bed! At least we can put the pack and play in the living room. We'll see how it goes. 8 more days!!

I know! :sad: That was the whole reason we got a 1BR! Maybe by night two she'll be so tired she'll sleep anywhere. Fingers crossed.

You are a better parent than me! :laughing: We are trying to do everything possible to keep her out of our bed! At least we can put the pack and play in the living room. We'll see how it goes. 8 more days!!

Oh man, this could be me in February. I'm more about having the kids in a separate room from us, so we have space to be awake if we want to after the kids go to bed. So sorry. Would she sleep in the K bed without you, and with the PnP in the master, if she knew you would be sleeping there later? Or leaving the door open? We've also done the - "I'll sit here with you until you fall asleep and then I'll go to sleep in my own bed" thing...

Oh man, this could be me in February. I'm more about having the kids in a separate room from us, so we have space to be awake if we want to after the kids go to bed. So sorry. Would she sleep in the K bed without you, and with the PnP in the master, if she knew you would be sleeping there later? Or leaving the door open? We've also done the - "I'll sit here with you until you fall asleep and then I'll go to sleep in my own bed" thing...
We may try that with the bed in the LR and seesaw it goes. When we tried to get her in her own room while traveling for thanksgiving she just screamed, almost like she was scared. She would stay in the bed if we made her, but she would be so upset and cry until she woke sister and everyone else in the hotel up.
At least at BLT we have the balcony to escape to, if we can. Last time we took her to WDW, she slept in the pack and play and we hid in the bathroom until she fell asleep :laughing:

At least at BLT we have the balcony to escape to, if we can. Last time we took her to WDW, she slept in the pack and play and we hid in the bathroom until she fell asleep :laughing:

We have done that many times with ODD when she was younger and we were staying in hotel rooms. Or hiding out of view in the dark. Last trip, we were on a cruise and in studios, and other than the first night with the baby waking at 4:30am, the kids were so tired that so long as we weren't *RIGHT NEXT TO THEM* while they were falling asleep (taking showers, organizing the stroller in the entry area, etc) they were asleep in no time at all: exhausted and happy.

Actually, housekeeping shouldn't be bringing you sheets, only an extra blanket. DVC doesn't provide extra bedding. You provide your extra bedding.

When our son was little, he would sleep with one of us in the king bed and the other parent would sleep on the sleeper sofa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!