Toddler swim lessons at the YMCA?

LoveBWVVBR

DIS Veteran
Has anyone on here done toddler swim lessons with their child at the YMCA? DH is on me like crazy to put DD age 2 into swim lessons asap. The Y seems to be the only place in the area that offers lessons at this time of year. I've heard mixed reviews about their toddler swim lessons. We really want our child to learn how to SWIM, not just to play around in the water during lessons. Is the Y a good place to take her? Also, how much did you pay for lessons per month? Thank you!

Yep....we did. Started the twins in kipper class at 9 months. We did take a bit of a break, and they were back in them around 2-1/2. We have not done lessons since last summer, but both children are comfortable in the water. Most likely, they'll be doing a refresher class at the Y in the beginning of summer.

I will suggest that you look into class size. At our Y, the cut some classes last year, and then increased the # of students. We decided that our money was better spent on private lessons thru the Y (more time actually swimming!).

We did it when DD was 3. She loved it. She took classes till she was 5 and then she began getting horrible ear infections so we had to have PE tubes put in her ears and the swim lessons stopped. We just got the tubes taken out over Christmas break, so I am giving them time to heal after that surgery and we will start them up again. Now we have DD3 as well so she will get to start them too!!

DD has been taking swim lessons at our Y for over a year. Every Y has different costs. But what we did was buy DD a youth membership and with that, you got 1 free program (so one swim session for free) and then 50% off each session for the rest of the year. Membership was $110 for the year I believe. We now only pay $35 a session. And we really lucked out because there are only 3 kids in her class...including her!

Depends on your child's age. I do not. DD started lessons when she was 3 so she was able to go in the pool by herself. I am a huge advocate of swim lessons. It's good exercise but more importantly, it's such a great life skill to know. DD can now swim without a bubble and jumps off the diving board!

DS currently attends daycare at the Y and has swim lessons once a wek as part of the ciriculuum. He is 4 and they break the boys and the girls in his class up into 2 groups. The boys go on Thursdays. There are 7 boys in his class and 2 instructors, plus one of the classroom teachers go with them.

Do you get in the water with your toddler at the Y swim lessons?

at our YMCA if the child is 3 and older they get in alone.. They do have diaper dip classes for ages 6 months up to 3 years in which the parents must get in with them.

I am about to enroll my ds in swimming, Wow where I live, a family membership is $69 per month plus each 6 week session is $80! I was surprised how much the family membership is!
I too think that swimming at a young age is very important!

I have assisted with YMCA swim class for kippers and up. I think starting swimming lessons young is vital.

My DD was swimming when she was two so I never took her to the Y at that age. But My sister took my neice when she was 2 and it helped her a little but she finally really could swim at 4. Then when my nephew was 2 my sister took him and he picked it up so I guess it depends on the child (altho he had to be reminded the next summer it only took a few days.) Also We live in Fl and DD school required ALL kindergarden students to go to the YMCA for 1 week of swim lessons. (During the school day) Alot of kids in DD class could not swim and the look on the swim teachers face when DD jumped in went down to the bottom of the pool, swam around a bit and then came up.:lmao: They were asking me is she ok???:rotfl2: So I think The Y is great and the earlier they can swim the better. IMO

Our Y is around $75 per month for a family, and all classes are extra. And, they changed it so a swimming class is only once per week with a five week session (there used to be classes that were 2 or 3 days, and were priced slightly higher). So, if you want your child to take it 3 days per week (or 2), you have to register for 3 classes (or 2), and they might have different instructors at each class. :confused3 oh well, we'll just take the summer refresher course.

I use to do the YMCA swimming lessons when I was 3-ish, and I remember LOVING it!!

There was one time I almost drown because I couldn't find the side of the pool, but one of the other kids pulled me out. :thumbsup2

but I can swim now, so I guess they worked :dance3:

my kids all did early swimming lessons at the Y. They learned at different rates. We started our oldest DS very early and he took the longest to learn while we waited until our youngest was 2 and she learned very quickly.

While they may not learn to swim right away, they will learn to become comfortable in the water and not to fear it. I was always surprised how many kids didn't know how to swim when the kids went to child care and church camp. The kids that knew how to swim and could pass the swim test could get in the deep end.

Even if they don't learn to swim right away, its money well spend if only to make them comfortable and secure.

I see that our Y offers the "safe start" lessons (the ones that are 10 minutes a day, 5 days a week, and offer drowning prevention lessons). I am wondering if this would be good for a 2 year-old? It says that these lessons teach drowning prevention and independant swimming through 1-on-1 instruction. That sounds like what I want.

ETA - These lessons are $360/6 weeks plus a $50 registration fee! Holy smokes. They told me that kids typically do more than 1 session, too. I've put in a call to a health club in another town to see if I can get DD signed up for their lessons. Theirs are semi-private (2 kids) and cost $55/month for 4 30 minute lessons. I think that this sounds like the better deal, even if it is a farther drive.

We just signed my DS 4 up for lessons at the Y. They are $65 for eight 30 minute classes. There will only be 3 other kids in the class with him, which I love. He took lessons somewhere else last year, and there were so many other kids in the class, that he really didn't learn a whole lot. We ended up getting private lesssons for him last year.

I have been teaching youth/toddler swim lessons for over 8 years. I taught swim lessons for our local YMCA for six years and have been teaching for the past 2 1/2 years for a privately owned fitness center. The Y required parents to be in the water with their child up until age 3. I developed the swim program for the fitness center I am currently at, and I also require parents in the water with their toddlers until age 3. Any more questions just ask!!

We did the first one at 9 mos. and we kind of dunked their heads under. DD hated that. She then didn't want to go in the water at all. We took her back at 3 and she did fine, she went up from there.

Both of my kids started swim lessons (Mom & Tot) young (1.5 and 2). At 3, they were able to do swim lessons without me in the pool. I've kept them in swim lessons and at 6 and almost-4, both kids are amazing swimmers for their ages.

Swimming is a life-skill.... it's healthy, low-impact exercise; a person could swim still when they're in their eighties. Also, good swimming skills could save our child's life or the life of someone else, down the road.

I've never regretted putting DS in that first swim lesson for one minute. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!