Toddler swim lessons at the YMCA?

I have both my children (4 yo & 3 yo) in the parent child aquatics class at our local Y. There really isn't any formal class but it just gets your child use to the water. My children can dunk their head, blow bubbles, and kick from one side to the other. In the spring my 4 yo will take a training class because she is comfortable to be on her own. I recommend that for at least the very first session that you are in the water with your child. They are use to you and will gain confidance faster, IMO. Starting early is also key. Young children are fearless and learn super fast. In just two sessions my children were getting in on their own and paddling to me.

Ann Marie

Both of my children have attended a swim class at the Y at one time or another. If you are looking for a fun social activity for your kids in the winter where they may pick up a skill or become comfortable in the water, then enroll them in the class.

Here's the thing IMHO... the kids will have fun, but don't do a lot of "swimming" depending on the class size. In a 40 min class they may be on the wall half of the time. If you really want your child to learn to swim, get a private lesson. A private lesson for 20 mins is way better than a group lesson for 40 mins. The fee may not be that much more than the group class and is worth looking into.

But, like I said, the classes can be a great, social, fun, confidence-booster. So, I guess it all depends on what you want to get out of it.

Have fun!

We started dd5 swimming at the Y when she was 9 months old. You do get into the water with them until they are 3 yrs old. She absolutely loves it. Our Y doesn't offer private lessons unless they are 4. If you sign up for a small group session (usually just offered late afternoon/eary evening) it is $50 for seven 30-min. lessons. The regular group sessions are $43 for seven 45-minute lessons. Because dd hasn't started kindergarden yet and doesn't go to pre-k every day, she goes during the morning on days she doesn't have school. I have found while it is technically a "regular" class size offered it rarely is filled up all the way and she gets much more personalized attention. They sometimes reduce the class time to 30 minutes, which is really fine as you are really getting a private lesson (usually $95-$110) at a regular rate. :thumbsup2 This doesn't work on Saturdays, when the classes are all filled up.

My daughter is almost 6 months and we want to put her in swimming lessons. Both JdF and YMCA are close.
I grew up going to JdF and I enjoyed it there. But YMCA is newer and decently priced for a family pass.
Any insight between the 2?

My daughter is almost 6 months and we want to put her in swimming lessons. Both JdF and YMCA are close.
I grew up going to JdF and I enjoyed it there. But YMCA is newer and decently priced for a family pass.
Any insight between the 2?

This thread is from 2008. Those 2yos are now teenagers.

Every YMCA is different. You might want to ask in a local group or other parents in the area what their experiences are with the programs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter